New poll shows 26% likely to buy PS4 at launch, 15% for Xbox One (U.S. only)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

"Reuters said the split is even more pronounced with people below the age of 40. Among those respondents, with 41%, or 408, said they preferred Sonys PS4; 27% chose the Xbox One. The poll was conducted the week of Sept. 23"

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/29/sonys-playstation-4-more-popular-in-recent-online-poll/

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
That's all? I expected more to be honest. I guess Sony is never going to have a PS2 era again.
Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

That's all? I expected more to be honest. I guess Sony is never going to have a PS2 era again.tagyhag

No chance at all. I think the PS4 will win in terms of sales, but it's not going to be the sort of gap the PS2 had over the Dreamcast/Gamecube/Xbox, or the Wii had over the PS3/360.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
The people have spoken and knows greatness is awaiting®. :cool:
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Old.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29454032/sonys-ps4-tops-xbox-one-as-gamers-holiday-choice-north-america

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

That's all? I expected more to be honest. I guess Sony is never going to have a PS2 era again.tagyhag
Nobody will.

XboxFails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XboxFails
Member since 2013 • 239 Posts

Well, this is only in the US.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]That's all? I expected more to be honest. I guess Sony is never going to have a PS2 era again.Consternated

No chance at all. I think the PS4 will win in terms of sales, but it's not going to be the sort of gap the PS2 had over the Dreamcast/Gamecube/Xbox, or the Wii had over the PS3/360.

This. Young children today simply have many more options on tablets and smartphones. PS4 could win this gen with as little as 60mill sold
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]That's all? I expected more to be honest. I guess Sony is never going to have a PS2 era again.

It's just NA.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]That's all? I expected more to be honest. I guess Sony is never going to have a PS2 era again.Consternated

Wii over PS3/360 is perfectly possible. It was only 10-15 mill by the end, versus the many times over the PS2 had on the competition.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

What about Canada? :x

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

With only 1297 people servayed this poll has to small of a sample size to mean anything above a blog on a shitty site.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Isn't the US the Xbox's best region? I'd imagine that the numbers favouring the PS4 would be much bigger in European countries, for example.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i'm suprised it's not a bigger gap than that.

they will share 95% of the games released next gen and there is a $100 difference.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

"Reuters said the split is even more pronounced with people below the age of 40. Among those respondents, with 41%, or 408, said they preferred Sonys PS4; 27% chose the Xbox One. The poll was conducted the week of Sept. 23"

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/29/sonys-playstation-4-more-popular-in-recent-online-poll/

mrintro
While I would never place much stock in polls no matter what they show, the line about the below age of 40 PS4 beating XBoxOne in the likely to buy scenario, myself being late 30's and my 3 closest gaming buds being around the same age, we're all getting a Xbox One day 1. And when we were looking online at stuff during the halftime of the Bears game, discussion was about more than just the gaming side of what the systems do.I could be way off base as its only the 4 of us, lol. but the One does seem to draw a bit more attention from the older gamers, at least from what I have seen so far. Who knows, lol.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="Consternated"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]That's all? I expected more to be honest. I guess Sony is never going to have a PS2 era again.lx_theo

Wii over PS3/360 is perfectly possible. It was only 10-15 mill by the end, versus the many times over the PS2 had on the competition.

Yeah PS3 and 360 are still selling too, I reckon the PS3 in particular has a chance of beating Wii's sales.
XboxFails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XboxFails
Member since 2013 • 239 Posts

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

shawn30

While I would never place much stock in polls no matter what they show, the line about the below age of 40 PS4 beating XBoxOne in the likely to buy scenario, myself being late 30's and my 3 closest gaming buds being around the same age, we're all getting a Xbox One day 1. And when we were looking online at stuff during the halftime of the Bears game, discussion was about more than just the gaming side of what the systems do.I could be way off base as its only the 4 of us, lol. but the One does seem to draw a bit more attention from the older gamers, at least from what I have seen so far. Who knows, lol.

Not sure if serious or trolling. Xbox ONE games tend to be quite immature. They have writing that only a child can enjoy.

PS4 games tend to be more mature and intelligently written. Adults appreciate SONY's class. Xboners only go for the "I'M A SUPERHERO AND I'M DESTINED TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE" type of childish games.

Avatar image for MicrosoftPR_Ray
MicrosoftPR_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MicrosoftPR_Ray
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
People taking 1000 votes seriously.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

While this only applies to launch and I don't think is reflective of the long term sales of either console...I would probably still be worried if I was MS. The 360 was huge and traditionally, unless there is a lot of customer anger/backlash at a company (see Sony post PS2 and Nintendo Post SNES) companies develop momentum from one gen to the next making a populat console more popular. Since the 360 was very much loved by developers, gamers and critics alike, this low number for X1 is a sign that the public feels MS missed the mark, even with all the backtracking they have done.

And considering NA is MS's single largest market, accounting for roughly half their total sales, losing their dominance in that market is going to seriously cripple their total world-wide sales numbers.

But again, anything can happen over the next 7+ years.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shawn30

[QUOTE="shawn30"][QUOTE="mrintro"]

XboxFails

Not sure if serious or trolling. Xbox ONE games tend to be quite immature. They have writing that only a child can enjoy.

PS4 games tend to be more mature and intelligently written. Adults appreciate SONY's class. Xboners only go for the "I'M A SUPERHERO AND I'M DESTINED TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE" type of childish games.

Your reply is so profoundly stupid I will simply walk away from replying to you, lol :)
shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shawn30

While this only applies to launch and I don't think is reflective of the long term sales of either console...I would probably still be worried if I was MS. The 360 was huge and traditionally, unless there is a lot of customer anger/backlash at a company (see Sony post PS2 and Nintendo Post SNES) companies develop momentum from one gen to the next making a populat console more popular. Since the 360 was very much loved by developers, gamers and critics alike, this low number for X1 is a sign that the public feels MS missed the mark, even with all the backtracking they have done.

And considering NA is MS's single largest market, accounting for roughly half their total sales, losing their dominance in that market is going to seriously cripple their total world-wide sales numbers.

ZIMdoom
I agree with your assessment. In fact, I think MS won't really gain their footing until next summer when all that the Xbox One wqas designed to do is available everywhere and they get a price drop. But at the same time In no way, shape, or form will MS will facing a WIU situation. Xbox One sales will be strong even as they lag behind PS4 sales.But seeing as how Sony PS3 survived nearly 3 years while getting curb stomped, the console wars are truly a marathon at the end of the day. Competition is great for us gamers.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox
[QUOTE="mrintro"]

shawn30

I'm an older gamer and I disagree.
mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

shawn30

I agree with your assessment. In fact, I think MS won't really gain their footing until next summer when all that the Xbox One wqas designed to do is available everywhere and they get a price drop. But at the same time In no way, shape, or form will MS will facing a WIU situation. Xbox One sales will be strong even as they lag behind PS4 sales.But seeing as how Sony PS3 survived nearly 3 years while getting curb stomped, the console wars are truly a marathon at the end of the day. Competition is great for us gamers.

Pretty much agree with you guys.

urbansys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 urbansys
Member since 2003 • 235 Posts

An internet poll of only 1200.... yes that says it all... Lems will take hold of anything.

urbansys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 urbansys
Member since 2003 • 235 Posts

[QUOTE="shawn30"][QUOTE="mrintro"]

Chutebox

I am 29 years old and I am in the same boat as Shawn. myself and 3 other of my buddies all have the xbox one pre-ordered as it seems to fit us so much more. We are all married and use the current xbox for more than gaming. The cable features the X1 is offering is probably one of the more exciting features for us. We cant wait to watch football and party chat to talk shit lol.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9554 Posts

With only 1297 people servayed this poll has to small of a sample size to mean anything above a blog on a shitty site.

muffin200

Only 1297? You do realize how many people that is right? If you surveyed 100 people you'd probably get a statistic close to the parameter.

I mean, shit, you probably don't even talk to 1200 people in a year. Holy shit. 

Understanding of statistics is still a problem today. 

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="shawn30"] While I would never place much stock in polls no matter what they show, the line about the below age of 40 PS4 beating XBoxOne in the likely to buy scenario, myself being late 30's and my 3 closest gaming buds being around the same age, we're all getting a Xbox One day 1. And when we were looking online at stuff during the halftime of the Bears game, discussion was about more than just the gaming side of what the systems do.I could be way off base as its only the 4 of us, lol. but the One does seem to draw a bit more attention from the older gamers, at least from what I have seen so far. Who knows, lol.urbansys

I am 29 years old and I am in the same boat as Shawn. myself and 3 other of my buddies all have the xbox one pre-ordered as it seems to fit us so much more. We are all married and use the current xbox for more than gaming. The cable features the X1 is offering is probably one of the more exciting features for us. We cant wait to watch football and party chat to talk shit lol.

Ok, point it it's different everywhere with everyone.
shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shawn30

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="shawn30"] While I would never place much stock in polls no matter what they show, the line about the below age of 40 PS4 beating XBoxOne in the likely to buy scenario, myself being late 30's and my 3 closest gaming buds being around the same age, we're all getting a Xbox One day 1. And when we were looking online at stuff during the halftime of the Bears game, discussion was about more than just the gaming side of what the systems do.I could be way off base as its only the 4 of us, lol. but the One does seem to draw a bit more attention from the older gamers, at least from what I have seen so far. Who knows, lol.urbansys

And at least for me, witrh kids in the house and ones that visit, they love the Kinect like crazy. They are the Kinect's demo IMHO. They dont care about resolutions or frames per second, they just want to jump around and look goofy, lol. I'm not sure Kinect will ever have any core gaming purpose, but for casual and kids, its a damn goldmine waiting for a dev to really take advantage of it. Back on topic, the cable features, Xbox Fitness is something my wife is interested in, and the voice.motion controls and snapping are reasons I want the One and see the value in it. Processing speed isn't my only issue in choosing a system.