Neo Geo X vs....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ksims816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 ksims816
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

So, my interest retro gaming has brought me inevitably to the neo geo x. Ive been wanting one for a while but all the reviews I've seen have been either "best creation ever", or "absolute garbage". The root of this seems to be that people are comparing it solely to the AES. So I thought I might bring up a topic that hasn't been explored much ( to my knowledge). That is: How does the Neo Geo X compare to systems of the AES era? Say hypothetically the AES was never released, but only the X. Im currently trying to decide between a Sega Genesis and Neo geo x. Never played the AES, and was a Nintendo kid growing up, so nostalgia or prior experience aren't too much of a factor.

My two-part question is: 1. How does neo geo x compare to Genesis in terms of system quality?

2. How do the games compare for the two systems? (I've played a lot of the genesis big titles, but don't think ive played anything except king of fighters for neogeo )

*And I DO realize this looks like a high school essay question ....whatevs :)

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

I have not personally played Neo Geo X, but from what I've read, the main problem is there is a split second of lag with the controls when you use the hookup to your TV. Considering the majority of SNK's best game are fighters and shooters, this can be detrimental. If you just want to play on the handheld part though, things should work fine.

As far as which I would recommend, it depends what kinds of games you like. Genesis has a wider variety of games. Neo Geo is good if you really like fighting games and shooters.

Do you own a Wii? A whole bunch of Genesis and Neo Geo games are available on Virtual Console. It's like having both.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

You are too low to post here.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

neo geo is mostly for 2D fighting games and high quality arcade ports. If you don't care about that then it's a waste of time and money.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

A more than 20 year old battle friend. That said, my Genesis still works perfectly.

ksims816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 ksims816
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Ive read some things too about the lag, some people say it ruins the game while others say its not noticeable to the normal person that didn't grown up with an AES. As for emulators & playing older titles released on new consoles, im not a huge fan.. something about having the actual system is part of the fun for me. Ive tried playing some Sega titles on xbox and its just not quite the same

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#8  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Need 500 posts to post a topic in SW.