Neo and Scorpio bad for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Everyone recently has been obsessing with these new systems and the effects they will have on the gaming landscape. But have we really thought about the ways in which these machines will hold us back?

Multiplats are going to need to run to the lowest common denominator. In this case the PS4 and the One.

Multiplsts will have to run on that until at least 2019/2020, unless you think Sony and MS will abandon the Scorpio and Neo in less than years (or make Neo and Scorpio exclusive games, which they've already said they aren't doing).

Given this many will be gaming on Xbox Ones and PS4 into the next decade, which in turn will hold back gaming hardware.

Thoughts?

NUSNA_Moebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By NUSNA_Moebius
Member since 2014 • 118 Posts

It won't hold back hardware, it'll allow it to evolve faster, as long as devs account for it, and people are willing to spend the money for better performance, resolutions, and overall gaming experience. Case in point: PC. I think as long as Sony or MS are not trying to support more than two systems at once, it shouldn't be much of a problem since each subsequent system generally will be within a general performance range that does not overly limit developers. The other problem is it means supporting legacy code through compatible hardware or emulation. Compatible hardware or more specifically ISAs is the easiest way to maintain this, but still brings with it limitations and having to stick with a certain architecture for a while until it becomes necessary to change because of specific issues. However, nothing is really able to compete with x86 in terms of overall performance, software compatibility over the years and future, and sheer flexibility of the architecture to create very big or small multi-core processors that can all run the same software (just at different speeds of execution). ARM is not yet to this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

No. No more than iterative handhelds like the Gameboy Color, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS were- and as history tells us, they weren't bad, they were in fact very beneficial at best to the landscape.

I have no problems with the iterative model for gaming consoles. It is the future for all hardware, gaming hardware among that.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321:

As stated before. Same architecture, same games, same disc formats, only better performance. It's more like having seasoned fries. The upgrades are really just complimentary but the original consoles are still the main priority. As long as that goes, the Neo and Scorpio can happily coexist with their twins. I think this just goes back to people assuming that the Scorpio and Neo are meant to carry the console wars but really, they're alot smaller concepts than they sound.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Neo is a joke ( primarily for VR) but Scorpio won't hold back anything. It'll be similar to how the same games run on PS4, X1, and PC. Except now games on Scorpio will be like how they are on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Nah TC, it will not be bad for gaming, it will be a symptom of how gaming changed.

The complaint you have, is the exact same as most PC gamers have for console, but has it broken down the gaming industry? No.

Will it change how consoles are bought and down the line how much effort is needed to research the right console to get? yes.

It is fairly clear that the console landscape is going to be a bit like the smart phone or tv landscape, which is fitting. I suspect that we will see another iteration in round 3 years, the Scorpio is not THAT powerful when it comes down to it, but it IS up there where specs should be for a refresh (no idea what is going on with the NEO).

There are some advantages and disadvantages for this of course (If I am right).

First off, Consoles will finally get true backwards compatibility, the architecture will likely stay at x86, the basic groundwork the same or similar. That would also mean that digital games tied to your account will always simply carry over to a new and more powerful system.

This does of course mean that the X1 and PS4 will struggle to play games, sure, but to be honest the 360 and PS3 also struggled for the last two years of their lifespan, so no real news there, it is just a perception thing.

Sony and MS does need to recall the consoles from stores when they do not meet the minimum specs of course, so in 2-3 years you would likely not be able to buy an X1 or PS4, because they simply can not run the games coming out.

So there will be the need to know which console in the family is the newest, not unlike a phone, or a graphics card.

I really see no issues with this, it is almost pure win on the consumer end, and gives a more fluent industry, and more effective operation overall.

but yeah, X1 and PS4 will begin to struggle as soon as NEO and Scorpio comes out, anyone thinking that Devs will soley target the older versions for all games are naive, it will just be a year or two into the generation of Neo and Scorpio that Devs will either be ordered to target the more powerful hardware, and leave the older consoles behind, or the games will run so shite on the old consoles that it is not even worth trying (and stating that the games technically run). In the beginning though the Scorpio and the NEO will just offer what we were promised the PS4 and X1 would (60 fps 1080p native). So in the beginning it might be more of owning op to previous statements.

Or I could be wrong and MS and Sony simply made a brain fart and made a "halfstep" mid through a generation, and should be ashamed.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@killered3: but that's just my point, they aren't meant to carry the majority of gamers, which means developers will have to have consoles with 2013 hardware as the basis for their games

@charizard1605: At what point to do iterations become full refreshes? Will PS4 owners be good for life? And what concessions will they have to play games that are playable on the PS7? You know?

@nusna_moebius: will developers want to put in the time once the userbases get large enough for the beefier consoles? And at what point will people realize that the architecture is too ancient to move on? I guess my question is less are they bad for gaming and more will they not allow people to realize that it might be time to move on to more sophisticated hardware.

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Maddie_Larkin: It hasn't broken gaming, but are some games held back from what they truly can be on PC's because of consoles?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Stupid argument. Multiplats already have to run on the lowest common denominator

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@mems_1224: such an intelligent response.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#10 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

No. No more than iterative handhelds like the Gameboy Color, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS were- and as history tells us, they weren't bad, they were in fact very beneficial at best to the landscape.

I have no problems with the iterative model for gaming consoles. It is the future for all hardware, gaming hardware among that.

Cool new avatar. I have no problem with it either. I just accept that change is the only constant in life and clinging to traditions limits progress.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224

@sHaDyCuBe321: thanks

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

@charizard1605: pretty much the logical thing one would say. Things have changed for better or worse.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#13 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin: In the beginning though the Scorpio and the NEO will just offer what we were promised the PS4 and X1 would (60 fps 1080p native).

I honestly don't remember any manufacturer making this promise.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Actually sheep(TC) the NX will be the lowest common denominator.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321:

That's a reasonable point but developers haven't really been barging through the front door saying, "This shitty hardware is holding our games back!"

As it is, it takes a loooong ass time to develop games even with the current specs! Do you seriously wanna wait longer?! Look at how we're BARELY getting good games released! It's rediculous!! I'd rather leave the time span to make games the way it is. Graphics or not, I wanna fucking play in this lifetime. I could care less if the game just looks great. That's kinda the mindset for console gamers. We just care about playing!

Let the gen ride out on its own. We'll be ready for the real next gen as it comes. There's no rush.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Here's the brutal fucking truth...The Xboned Scorpio is gonna be the biggest scam ever. 6TF in 2017, that's just embarrassing...

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

It's simple really. Dev's won't make more complex games until we see new consoles that have their own exclusive games.

But I'm not against either the Neo or the Scorpio, because they'll both be able to handle vr and output some pretty impressive stuff for 1080p resolution.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44678 Posts

Neo is about to release and I don't even have Persona 5. WTF? At least XB1 delivered on what I got it for already. Scorpio is off to a good start too but will need a library to justify the upgrade. Still might make the jump if I see a big jump in current line-up performance. I won't bother if they only upscale games that play on vanilla XB1 in 4K, and I don't have a 4K TV, why bother without a performance boost in a meaningful way. Hopefully after the Scorpio announcement went back to drawing board to revamp and push back Neo plans. If that's the case, wonder if MS has a back-up plan. If that's the case too, man I love competition. This is what the industry needs.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I think its excellent for gaming. What has happened during 7th gen is a thing i don't want to see. If Neo is weak, tho that's a waste of time. If you're making an upgrade, make a damn upgrade, not the crappy upgrade that is currently rumored.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_

@mems_1224 said:

Stupid argument. Multiplats already have to run on the lowest common denominator

The Xbox One.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@mems_1224: such an intelligent response.

hes not wrong...

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Of course, they are consoles

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321: I explained how this would work in an article I wrote months ago, before either the Scorpio or the NEO had been confirmed or even begun to leak, to be honest. You can read it to get my answer on how it might work.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224

@silversix_: no shit sherlock. What else did you think I was referring to?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@GhostHawk196 said:

Here's the brutal fucking truth...The Xboned Scorpio is gonna be the biggest scam ever. 6TF in 2017, that's just embarrassing...

Still stronger than the neo...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By silversix_

@mems_1224 said:

So, you're telling me that you knew about the Bone being the lowest common denominator? Incredible. Simply incredible.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224

@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

So, you're telling me that you knew about the Bone being the lowest common denominator? Incredible. Simply incredible.

Good job. Boy, thats just the kind of detective work you can expect from someone who bought Destiny twice.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

How can having more options be bad. The bad thing about consoles is they got stuck while tech moved forward. Now consoles have finally caught up. 4k is mainstream and soon HDR 10 at least will be standard.

It's not like the current gen consoles were doing 1080p/60fps at max settings. Hell the ps4 uses 2.4ghz only. I love that I have the option to upgrade to a VR ready console.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silversix_

@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

Good job. Boy, thats just the kind of detective work you can expect from someone who bought Destiny twice.

my detective senses are telling me that you're more into this game than i'm. How does that make you feel?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224

@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

my detective senses are telling me that you're more into this game than i'm. How does that make you feel?

Not possible. i only bought it once and haven't played it in almost a year.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By silversix_

@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

Not possible. i only bought it once and haven't played it in almost a year.

Its very possible that you're into it, still play it weekly but is too shy to admit the truth. I fund your secret, but its safe with me, i ain't telling anyone.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Not sure what you guys are on about games aren't being held back at all.

Its not like developers are cutting things so it can run at 1920x1080 at a locked 30FPS.

F*** no the developers don't care they are making the best looking game they can afford to... Why do you think games are running at lower resolutions that full HD and are dropping to 15-20FPS all the time on consoles?