neat article about the "overrated' Nintendo Wii. tells the truth.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2008/09/21/overrated-nintendo-wii/

I couldn't have said it any better. The guy is absolutely right. the only reason i still have mine is for the casual Web browser, and cool Virtual console. 95% of Wii titles are horrible.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
thats not an article its a blog
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Wow, the people (as in real people, not gamers) who posted comments ripped that guy to shreads.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts
thats not an article its a blogair_wolf_cubed

kotaku is a blog, does that make them to be taken less seriously then everyone else?
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 air_wolf_cubed
[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]thats not an article its a bloginsanejedi

kotaku is a blog, does that make them to be taken less seriously then everyone else?

I guess I'm not allowed to correct a thread title without getting flamed:|
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Fanboy blog ftl.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
I like how people post threads containing the supposed "truth" of a console, when in fact, they're really just found another person on the interwebz who agrees with them.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiefFreeman

I like how people post threads containing the supposed "truth" of a console, when in fact, they're really just found another person on the interwebz who agrees with them.metroidfood

everything he said about the abundance of crappy games and poor online functionality is true. Even a die hard Nintendo fan can't argue it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]I like how people post threads containing the supposed "truth" of a console, when in fact, they're really just found another person on the interwebz who agrees with them.ChiefFreeman

everything he said about the abundance of crappy games and poor online functionality is true. Even a die hard Nintendo fan can't argue it.

I've said it hundreds of times probably. What does the "abundance of crappy games" have to do with the good ones? No one has given me a good answer to this yet. The good exclusive Wii games are better than the PS3 exclusives imo.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Subjective "truth," I see. I really don't see it as "overrated" since it's not exactly getting a lot of praise...

If anything it's underrated. The amount of people blinded to the great titles that are on the console due to their "hardcore" mentality (meanwhile they sit and play games like Bioshock and GTA, true hardcore games :roll: ) is staggering.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 insanejedi

[QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]thats not an article its a blogair_wolf_cubed

What exactly is an article? It's a written document. An Essay, Editorial or a report is an article. From what this blog, it is an editorial or short essay=article.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
How is this article "Truth" when I read nothing but opinion?
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 air_wolf_cubed

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]thats not an article its a bloginsanejedi

What exactly is an article? It's a written document. An Essay, Editorial or a report is an article. From what this blog, it is an editorial or short essay=article.

Articles are usually a good source for information that state facts. Anyone can post a blog saying the PS3 is overrated, but that doesnt mean its true
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]thats not an article its a bloginsanejedi

An article is a document that has been reviewed and approved for publication by someone other than the document writer himself, such as an informed panel of reviewers (in actual technical journals) or, in mainstream journalism, by editors. That system of review and editing gives articles added credibility, because it filters out some random joe's brain farts like the post in the OP's link.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fawlcon_Pawnch
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

:lol:

TC went and got a random guy's opinion about something he hoped would gather attention. from the look of most peoples comments on that opinion that you call article, they disagree with the Writer.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts
lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 air_wolf_cubed
lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight. Cloud_Insurance
it isnt exactly a gamers site. My guess is either the TC is a regular member there or he digs way too deep for Wii hate
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
Opinion =/= fact Maybe instead of whining about the games being crappy on the Wii, tell all the idiot parents around you not to buy the mediocre shovelware garbage so that developers actually get a clue, or write a petition for all the big name publishers not to put out the trash titles.
SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts

:lol:

TC went and got a random guy's opinion about something he hoped would gather attention. from the look of most peoples comments on that opinion that you call article, they disagree with the Writer.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Yeah, and half of them are parents or at the very least older non-gamers. It may be a blog, but I care much more about the opinion of the blogger than I do the person who said it's great for their disabled son. Listen; the Wii has been a great influence for a lot of people in terms of giving them something to do besides sit on the couch, but that doesn't mean it isn't overrated. In fact, the people who commented on the blog are mostly just proving the guy's point: The Wii isn't about games, it's about families.

As someone who has been playing videogames since the NES, the Wii feels like a step backwards. I'm happy that these families and older couples are having positive experiences playing the Wii (everyone should have something they enjoy), but for them to say it's not overrated is kind of like if I had no interest in baseball or its inner workings, but argued that the Kansas City Royals are a great baseball team simply because my family goes to their games (no offense to Royals fans). The Wii might be a great family console, but if a large percentage of the hardcore gaming crowd isn't pleased with it, it's still somewhat of a failure as a strict gaming console.

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SeanBond

lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight. Cloud_Insurance

:lol:...This is what I was trying to get at, without putting it in such incendiary language.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 insanejedi
[QUOTE="insanejedi"]

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]thats not an article its a blogmjarantilla

An article is a document that has been reviewed and approved for publication by someone other than the document writer himself, such as an informed panel of reviewers (in actual technical journals) or, in mainstream journalism, by editors. That system of review and editing gives articles added credibility, because it filters out some random joe's brain farts like the post in the OP's link.

That does not change the fact that this is an article even if it's an unsubstantiate one. And at no point is an document not called an article simply because there was no peer based editing involved, and for one you never see that in any article at all so having or not having that does nothing the the credibility if it is not evident. The only part where it is evident is in grammatical errors or formation of the essay, and even that is not black and white.

Webster Defines article in the context of what we are saying as...

1 a: a distinct often numbered section of a writingb: a separate clausec: a stipulation in a document (as a contract or a creed) d: a nonfictional prose composition usually forming an independent part of a publication (as a magazine)

Which perfectly fits what is being posted.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 air_wolf_cubed

That does not change the fact that this is an article even if it's an unsubstantiate one. And at no point is an document not called an article simply because there was no peer based editing involved, and for one you never see that in any article at all so having or not having that does nothing the the credibility if it is not evident. The only part where it is evident is in grammatical errors or formation of the essay, and even that is not black and white.

1 a: a distinct often numbered section of a writingb: a separate clausec: a stipulation in a document (as a contract or a creed) d: a nonfictional prose composition usually forming an independent part of a publication (as a magazine)

insanejedi
even though the URL clearly has the word "blog" in it?
wassup432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23 wassup432
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
The Wii is not overrated. It's just hard to find awesome games for the Wii beneath that pile of shovelware.
Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fawlcon_Pawnch

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight. SeanBond

:lol:...This is what I was trying to get at, without putting it in such incendiary language.

lol its not a gaming site, you expected teh hardcorezz to be there?

I'm glad there are actually many people outside of the forum dwelling gamers who can enjoy consoles and games without all this Fanboy War BS, you apperently dont.

The casuals always brought the money, and will always do . The lack of them just reflects in poor system sales that make third parties very nervous, as for Wii games, if you look at 2009's linup and all the rumblings you clearly see the third party shift.

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SeanBond
[QUOTE="SeanBond"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight. Fawlcon_Pawnch

lol its not a gaming site, you expected teh hardcorezz to be there?

I'm glad there are actually many people outside of the forum dwelling gamers who can enjoy consoles and games without all this Fanboy War BS, you apperently dont.

The casuals always brought the money, and will always do . The lack of them just reflects in poor system sales that make third parties very nervous, as for Wii games, if you look at 2009's linup and all the rumblings you clearly see the third party shift.

Says the guy posting in System Wars. I do happen to enjoy consoles, which is why I don't get caught up in arguing flops and other things that don't matter in the real world. However, "fanboy war bs" aside, as a gamer I've been incredibly disappointed by the Wii, since neither Nintendo nor any 3rd party devs have been able to successfully give me a reason to believe the Wii is turning into the system I hoped it would be. Improved 3rd party support means nothing if we don't see thoughtful uses of the Wii's motion-sensing capabilities, and so far, we haven't been all that much. If being disappointed in a console I waited years for makes me a fanboy, then I guess a fanboy I am, but I think you're throwing the F-word around a little liberally. ;)

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 insanejedi
[QUOTE="insanejedi"]

air_wolf_cubed

even though the URL clearly has the word "blog" in it?

Writing a blog entry can still be an article. Hence the Kotaku stories come from a blog yet are still called articles same with Gamepolitics and Garmasutra or whatever. And if you use the Blog's are personal opinions, open the newspaper and look for the editorial section where it's also personal opinions. (yet it's still called an article :o)

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 air_wolf_cubed

Writing a blog entry can still be an article. Hence the Kotaku stories come from a blog yet are still called articles same with Gamepolitics and Garmasutra or whatever. And if you use the Blog's are personal opinions, open the newspaper and look for the editorial section where it's also personal opinions. (yet it's still called an article :o)

insanejedi
Ok you win. I give up. This is an article and this is just an opinion like you said
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 insanejedi
[QUOTE="insanejedi"]

air_wolf_cubed

Ok you win. I give up. This is an article and this is just an opinion like you said

*shakes hands* nice to see someone willing to admit there wrong. And i'm patronizing you either, it's really nice to see that.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Fawlcon_Pawnch

Says the guy posting in System Wars. I do happen to enjoy consoles, which is why I don't get caught up in arguing flops and other things that don't matter in the real world. However, "fanboy war bs" aside, as a gamer I've been incredibly disappointed by the Wii, since neither Nintendo nor any 3rd party devs have been able to successfully give me a reason to believe the Wii is turning into the system I hoped it would be. Improved 3rd party support means nothing if we don't see thoughtful uses of the Wii's motion-sensing capabilities, and so far, we haven't been all that much. If being disappointed in a console I waited years for makes me a fanboy, then I guess a fanboy I am, but I think you're throwing the F-word around a little liberally. ;)SeanBond

I actually went back and re-read my post and i dont see where i called you a fanboy nor was the "fanboy war BS" referring to this particular thread.

Its fine that you dont like the Wii, you have the right to have your own opinions. BUT, you must remeber that what you dont enjoy many others might, meaning that even if you dont like No More Heroes, Galaxy, Twilight Princess, etc.. you cant just dissmiss them as worthless games when their quality is more than evident and acclaimed by critics.I hate playing shooters with a dual stick controller but thats not the reason to call the 360 a crap system or the games bad, i just dont like playing whats most successful in that console with that controller, wich pretty much kills my will to ever own one (not the only reason but whatever).

The Wii is a two year old system that inexpectadly went from being a "confirmed failure" to leading this generation in sales by far, its obvious that the industry is going to take some time shifting the resources from what they thought would sell to whats actually selling. Its happening right now...

Regardless, IMO it has alot of great games worth buying the system for (hell i'd buy it if Galaxy was the only game)

V_Isle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 V_Isle
Member since 2006 • 1785 Posts
All this semantics over whether the linked page is a blog or article - just a way for sheep to try and change the subject.

This Wii is very overrated. It's not praised for it's games, it's praised because it sells well. That's pathetic. That's like saying Soulja Boy or Britney Spears are talented because their albums go double-platinum. It's great that last-gen, sheep said sales didn't matter, and that games did. Funny, because Nintendo got owned by Sony and MS last gen in sales, yet Gamecube still had good games. But now all of a sudden, it doesn't matter what a trashy software library Wii has, it's only sales that matter now! :lol:
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="insanejedi"]

insanejedi

Look at definition (d) and you'll see why you're wrong. A blog is not a publication, it's a blog. Literally, a web log. A diary. NOT a publication.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChiefFreeman

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight. air_wolf_cubed
it isnt exactly a gamers site. My guess is either the TC is a regular member there or he digs way too deep for Wii hate

Actually, I happen to be a Wii (twice) owner, and my complaints and frustrations with the console are well justified, thank you. Most of the Wii games flat out stink, and i think Nintendo is ripping off true gamers.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fawlcon_Pawnch

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight. ChiefFreeman

Actually, I happen to be a Wii (twice) owner, and my complaints and frustrations with the console are well justified, thank you. Most of the Wii games flat out stink, and i think Nintendo is ripping off true gamers.

Stop whining, do us all a favour and sell your Wii, there are ALOT of people who would pay good money to buy one. If you have a Wii its cuz you want it, no one is forcing you to have it.

Sell it, and buy a bunch of FPS's to brag in SW, you know... like a "True Gamer"

ChiddaPotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChiddaPotta
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

thats not an article its a blogair_wolf_cubed

Lol. Owned.

On-Topic: I didn't read the article, EXCUSE ME, blog, because I was too busy staring at that Killzone 2 sig. Wowzers.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 air_wolf_cubed

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]lmfao, the comments below the blog are filled with fat moms saying that the wii is good because it motivated them to lose weight. ChiefFreeman

Ripping off? Really? Im not usually a happy person when I'm ripped off. I also know how to ignore shovelware instead of complain about it on the interwebz
liesandpies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 liesandpies
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts

Wow, the people (as in real people, not gamers) who posted comments ripped that guy to shreads.goblaa

Gamers aren't real people?

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fawlcon_Pawnch

[QUOTE="goblaa"]Wow, the people (as in real people, not gamers) who posted comments ripped that guy to shreads.liesandpies

Gamers aren't real people?

Gamers? YES

Fanboys? NO!!

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts

Wow, the people (as in real people, not gamers) who posted comments ripped that guy to shreads.goblaa

There's your problem.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts
That guy lost all credibility when he started talking about the Seal of Quality.Seal of Quality is a misleading name.The Seal never,never,guarunteed the quality of the game.All it said was that the game would work on Nintendo's system.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
So his opinion is somehow better than the people who posted below him? Why can't the people commenting be the truth? Oh that's right.. because he agrees with you fanboys. The wii is here to stay, get used to it. I bet if he said PS3 or X360 is overrated, gears and halo are trash all you cows and lems will be jumping all over him :lol:
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

So you wrote it then?

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
I agree with the online functionality bit. Its like Gamecube all over again........................sigh.
Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#44 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts
the comments below make it seem like everyone with a wii has special needs.
lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lolkie_81
Member since 2008 • 2004 Posts
I cant believe some of you still defend the wii so much. I dont regret buying mine, I enjoy the few good games it has, but to come on here everyday and defend it, like its the best gaming console,and what that guy said in his blog is not true, is just true fanboyism. Compared to the 360/ps3 the wii is a joke maybe if I could only afford a wii, or thats all my mommy would buy me I might feel differently.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 air_wolf_cubed
I cant believe some of you still defend the wii so much. I dont regret buying mine, I enjoy the few good games it has, but to come on here everyday and defend it, like its the best gaming console,and what that guy said in his blog is not true, is just true fanboyism. Compared to the 360/ps3 the wii is a joke maybe if I could only afford a wii, or thats all my mommy would buy me I might feel differently.lolkie_81
and you're calling us the fanboys
Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fawlcon_Pawnch

Compared to the 360/ps3 the wii is a joke maybe if I could only afford a wii, or thats all my mommy would buy me I might feel differently. lolkie_81

I enjoy my Wii more than i enjoy my PS3, and i love both consoles. Its called opinion, and if it bothers you so much avoid these threads and limit yourself to your console of choice forum.

lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lolkie_81

[QUOTE="lolkie_81"]I cant believe some of you still defend the wii so much. I dont regret buying mine, I enjoy the few good games it has, but to come on here everyday and defend it, like its the best gaming console,and what that guy said in his blog is not true, is just true fanboyism. Compared to the 360/ps3 the wii is a joke maybe if I could only afford a wii, or thats all my mommy would buy me I might feel differently.air_wolf_cubed
and you're calling us the fanboys

It was a joke, I havent lived at home for quite sometime. I dont remember the last system my parents bought for me..........and yes compared to my other 2 systems the wii never even gets turned on anymore.

lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lolkie_81

[QUOTE="lolkie_81"] Compared to the 360/ps3 the wii is a joke maybe if I could only afford a wii, or thats all my mommy would buy me I might feel differently. Fawlcon_Pawnch

I enjoy my Wii more than i enjoy my PS3, and i love both consoles. Its called opinion, and if it bothers you so much avoid these threads and limit yourself to your console of choice forum.

[QUOTE="lolkie_81"] Compared to the 360/ps3 the wii is a joke maybe if I could only afford a wii, or thats all my mommy would buy me I might feel differently. Fawlcon_Pawnch

Yes Sir!!!!! because you said so;);)