MS: strengthening the Xbox 360's RPG line-up is a "priority"

• 180 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

http://www.edge-online.com/features/xbox-japan-a-new-dawn

"What's clear is that while the Xbox 360 may never 'win' in Japan Microsoft certainly hasn't given up the fight. Don't be surprised to hear some big-name announcements from the platform holder centered on the Japanese market at next month's Tokyo Game Show."

360 will be the best system for RPG fans because it will provide both WRPGs and JRPGs.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

I don't like RPGs

*exits out thread quietly*

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 too_much_eslim

I don't like RPGs

*exits out thread quietly*

W1NGMAN-
that is really sad. I used to be that way too.
xion1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xion1234
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts

the ps3 a and the wii are for RPG why you think almost all the RPG have flop

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terrible
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terribleFirstDiscovery

They aren't doing too bad.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 too_much_eslim

xion1234
lol what RPGs does teh wii have now? ALso what RPGS does the PS3 have now?
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23050 Posts

Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terribleFirstDiscovery

I think RPGs rarely sell well (with a few notable exceptions such as FF and DQ).

SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts
Japanesse people buy all the RPG's but the RPG's that have come out for 360 are mostly flops. But whatever since people enjoy them(japan).
OutlawStarXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OutlawStarXIII
Member since 2008 • 225 Posts
The whose article was a good read. But the end part about the facts that were really opinions was REALLY REALLY bias towards the 360. I felt like a huge 360 fanboy wrote the end part. TGS will be interesting, Sony has jrpg on the way and a Sony rep said they have many RPG to unveil at TGS. On the other side M-Soft is gearing up on the jrpg genre as well and surely that won't leave TGS without announcing something good. I still expect Sony to take Kingdom Hearts 3 as an exclusive, and reveal Team ICO's game.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

I've never enjoyed an RPG in my life, but it's good to see MS gets it. If they keep trying they're gonna bust down that door in Japan for more than just one week at a time... and on a consistent basis.

xion1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xion1234
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts
[QUOTE="xion1234"]

too_much_eslim

it better then having games that suck i can see u own a 360
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terribleEspada12

They aren't doing too bad.

People say its only shooters that are selling, but even among them its only a few. The software sales just arent there anymore, they are a joke compared to the PSone or PS2. Heck even the Wii doesnt close when it comes to third-party
blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts

Keeep em coming.

I just beat Infinite Undiscovery !
I really enjoyed it, the characters were great and funny, even the side characters like fiena and leif :(. Gina was also funny she would say anything that came on her mind. I wiped the floor of all the end bosses including those inthe underwater palace. This game didnt have the production values of Lost Odyssey,but it was a very enjoyable experience, and it had a better story than LO, eternal sonata, and blue dragon. This game was awesome i have hope dfor Star Ocean 4 now.
My end level with Capel was 70, my party was capel, aya, eugene, and kunochi.
The ending was pleasent.
i give this game a 7.5/10.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
I don't know what MS is thinking, but If they want to get into other markets, they need more than just RPGs.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FirstDiscovery
I don't know what MS is thinking, but If they want to get into other markets, they need more than just RPGs.dream431ca
The head of their JAPAN operations is talking about JAPAN
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
Mass Effect at 2 million+ says hello.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terriblemattbbpl

I think RPGs rarely sell well (with a few notable exceptions such as FF and DQ).

They sold way more than what we are getting now. A good JRPG would easily sell 200-400k copies in Japan with little marketting
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terriblehopesfall2own

Firstly HOW many RPGs do we even have? Secondly thats an RPG, its got guns, and MS marketted it, offcourse its going to sell well

Either way, we are yet to see a succesful JRPG with little marketting. Heck even LO was only a passable success

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23050 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terribleFirstDiscovery

They sold way more than what we are getting now. A good JRPG would easily sell 200-400k copies in Japan with little marketting

Haven't most of the 360 RPG titles been within that territory or beyond?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Im just looking forward to playing fable 2 already. I bought the CE.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="xion1234"]

xion1234

it better then having games that suck i can see u own a 360

lol and you would know this how? I make my own opinion. GS told me LO was a 7.5. The game is a 9.0 to me. They told me Blue Dragon was a 6.0. It is a 8.0 to me. Sorry you don't actually have rpgs to play though.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts

[QUOTE="hopesfall2own"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terribleFirstDiscovery

Firstly HOW many RPGs do we even have? Secondly thats an RPG, its got guns, and MS marketted it, offcourse its going to sell well

Either way, we are yet to see a succesful JRPG with little marketting. Heck even LO was only a passable success

So, they are doing bad job if they don't sell a trillion copies, but when one sells 2 million you discredit it because it was marketed? And it's fun? Give me a break dude.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"]

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terriblemattbbpl

Haven't most of the 360 RPG titles been within that territory or beyond?

BD = 210k, had IMMENSE marketting, beat expectation, but flopped badly in EU and NA, it didnt break even, but atleast MS and Mistwalker have something to walk away with

LO = 106k, had some marketting, though if it came out now it wouldve sold more

Eternal Sonata = 80k, well again it came out quite a while ago, doesnt change the fact 80k is very little even if it beat Namcos expectations

ToV = Projected to hit 210k, again HUGE marketting

IU = So far 90k, well have to see the drop-off, but it isnt looking good after selling 70k of that in its FIRST day, itll hit 150k most likely

Those games were the major games, there are a few more JRPGs on the 360, but they are VERY obscure and JAPAN only, as you can expect, they didnt do too well. More importantly, there just arent that many and MS is investing with their blood to get them to sell

Hopefully they really push Last Remnant

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]

[QUOTE="hopesfall2own"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Unfortunately unlike most games, they ARENT selling. This is why this gen is terriblehopesfall2own

So, they are doing bad job if they don't sell a trillion copies, but when one sells 2 million you discredit it because it was marketed? And it's fun? Give me a break dude.

Again, its a WRPG, and given its whole sci-fi theme, the additions of guns and MS marketting it sold well. Even then, its one game in dozens, good for ME it sold well but it hasnt changed the fact that games in general just arent selling, RPGs arent any different
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 too_much_eslim

Keeep em coming.

I really enjoyed it, the characters were great and funny, even the side characters like fiena and leif :(. Gina was also funny she would say anything that came on her mind. I wiped the floor of all the end bosses including those inthe underwater palace. This game didnt have the production values of Lost Odyssey,but it was a very enjoyable experience, and it had a better story than LO, eternal sonata, and blue dragon. This game was awesome i have hope dfor Star Ocean 4 now.
The ending was pleasent.

blitzkid1
was the characters funnier than Jansen?
blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts
[QUOTE="blitzkid1"]

Keeep em coming.

The ending was pleasent.

too_much_eslim

No, but they were enjoyable, but i found jansen a bit over the top .

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

meh, im still looking forward to what the PS3 is offering plus alot more to come in the future. Nomura is cooking up another game will it be Knigdom Hearts or "one goal spirit" we won't know. Maybe TGS? Then you have Level 5 making some big announcement and since they won;t develop for the 360 anymore, Its pretty much PS3 or handheld maybe Wii.

White Knight Chroncles
Disgaea III
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

The only 360 RPG im looking forward to actually own is Star Ocean: TLH. Thats about it.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="blitzkid1"]

Keeep em coming.

The ending was pleasent.

blitzkid1

No, but they were enjoyable, but i found jansen a bit over the top .

thats cool. I am definately getting that game and tales soon.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
MS is really stepping up, lets go Sony and Nintendo.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 too_much_eslim

meh, im still looking forward to what the PS3 is offering plus alot more to come in the future. Nomura is cooking up another game will it be Knigdom Hearts or "one goal spirit" we won't know. Maybe TGS? Then you have Level 5 making some big announcement and since they won;t develop for the 360 anymore, Its pretty much PS3 or handheld maybe Wii.

White Knight Chroncles
Disgaea III
Valkyria Chronicles

The only 360 RPG im looking forward to actually own is Star Ocean: TLH. Thats about it.

hayato_
Pretty sad you should try out Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FirstDiscovery
MS is really stepping up, lets go Sony and Nintendo.Ibacai
I think the honeymoon will be over soon, the PS3 can sell up to 3x as much as the 360 can there, up till now, the deal breaker has been EU and NA, both of which MS has got for hardcore games, but just by concentrating on Japan devs can get their games to sell at a good amount
blushield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blushield
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

360 will be the best system for RPG fans because it will provide both WRPGs and JRPGs.

too_much_eslim

It jas yet to get an AAA exclusive RPG of any type

so no, it wont lemming

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

blushield

so no, it wont lemming

Wow that must make the PS3 a godly:|
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ibacai
[QUOTE="Ibacai"]MS is really stepping up, lets go Sony and Nintendo.FirstDiscovery
I think the honeymoon will be over soon, the PS3 can sell up to 3x as much as the 360 can there, up till now, the deal breaker has been EU and NA, both of which MS has got for hardcore games, but just by concentrating on Japan devs can get their games to sell at a good amount

Hmmm, that is yet to be seen though. The PS3 games have not sold well in Japan for the most part and Sony seems to be going for the NA and EU audience. The problem therein is that they are alienating a large playerbase for the PS2, RPG fans. And yes, we can argue that they are coming but they are not here now. Sony needs to let us know we haven't been forgotten.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hayato_
[QUOTE="hayato_"]

White Knight Chroncles
Disgaea III
Valkyria Chronicles

too_much_eslim

Pretty sad you should try out Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey.

Sad part is I have. Thinking about buying LO only if it goes down to $20 bucks. Thats about as much as its worth. IU the character designs and battle system threw me off alittle. Im still gonna buy it, only at a discount price.

The article to is a little of desperation also. If they don;t get FF, DQ, or KH on thier platform then its not that big of a deal. The PS3 will soon see some RPG support. Its just a matter of developers taking time wit hthe console. MS Sbetter get all it can while it can.

I think they need to try a little harder if you ask me.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Ibacai"]MS is really stepping up, lets go Sony and Nintendo.Ibacai

Hmmm, that is yet to be seen though. The PS3 games have not sold well in Japan for the most part and Sony seems to be going for the NA and EU audience. The problem therein is that they are alienating a large playerbase for the PS2, RPG fans. And yes, we can argue that they are coming but they are not here now. Sony needs to let us know we haven't been forgotten.

Well again, Japanese devs have gone to the 360 as a last resort, NA third-party sales are by far the best on the 360, EU there is a presence, and the Japanese userbase in 360 has a high attach rate and can contribute.

So simply said, had they been doing the same for the PS3 or Wii, the situation wouldve been worse, they wouldve sold LESS software.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not really much of a challenge considering the slim-pickings for both the PS3 and Wii... Atlus just doesn't want to give up on the PS2.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hayato_

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Ibacai"]MS is really stepping up, lets go Sony and Nintendo.Ibacai

No we have been forgotten. The idea is this. The game is still playable on the Sony platform so people will still buy it on our platform. Look at The Last Remnant with the PS3 version being the most wanted version there. They don't really care

blushield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blushield
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

Wow that must make the PS3 a godly:|FirstDiscovery

So far 360 has one AAE RPG. It has Fable 2 (Sequel to a flop) and Star Ocean 3 still to come

So far Ps3 has no AA exclusive RPGs. But it has Valkyria Chronicles, FF vs 13 and White Knight Story still to come

There's also the fact that the Ps3 is performing beter than the 360 in Japan (and everywhere else for that matter).

Not really

Theere's only one good JRPG on the overrated console, and the Wii and PS3 have better JRPPG lineups for the future

Like everything else lemmings are severely overestimating the JRPGs on their failing system

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

blushield

so no, it wont lemming

and yet neither has the ps3? or the wii.

lol oh and to answer your later post, translation JUST WAIT see how he ignores final fantasy 13 now and uses VS? cows really have tricked them selves into thinking they only ever wanted VS and didn't say ff13 couldn't be done on the 360 and would never come to the system. *shake head* ps3 doesn'thave a single game thats done better then 360 games, and fable was a flop? when did that happen?

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ibacai

[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Ibacai"]MS is really stepping up, lets go Sony and Nintendo.FirstDiscovery

Well again, Japanese devs have gone to the 360 as a last resort, NA third-party sales are by far the best on the 360, EU there is a presence, and the Japanese userbase in 360 has a high attach rate and can contribute.

So simply said, had they been doing the same for the PS3 or Wii, the situation wouldve been worse, they wouldve sold LESS software.

Possibly, a lot of what ifs and maybes. I'd just like to see Sony take some initiative.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

blushield

so no, it wont lemming

Did anywher in my post did I say anything about them AAA? The games are actually better than its score. I don't know why you threw that lemming comment in there. Don't see why my comment made you so angry.
Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Iceman2911
Member since 2006 • 2669 Posts

White Knight Chroncles
Disgaea III
Valkyria Chronicles

hayato_

this I am interested in SO 4 and that is it.

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
More flops I am assuming? Seriously, I am not impressed with any of the RPG's the 360 has to offer, I will leave that to my DS and PS2. Everything else I can enjoy on the 360 no problem. Can't wait to get one next week :D
Phenom316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Phenom316
Member since 2008 • 1650 Posts

Woooohooo more JRPGs?

No.

This is something that even if i was a console fanboy, i would play on the PC.

But i guese they might come out with some good JRPGs (on console standerds) :D

Avatar image for supermechakirby
supermechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 supermechakirby
Member since 2003 • 10677 Posts

you missed the most important quote in that WHOLE news story, it should be in the OP

"What's clear is that while the Xbox 360 may never 'win' in Japan Microsoft certainly hasn't given up the fight. Don't be surprised to hear some big-name announcements from the platform holder centered on the Japanese market at next month's Tokyo Game Show."

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hayato_

you missed the most important quote in that WHOLE news story, it should be in the OP

supermechakirby

Cry On and something casual probably. They trying to push, they've got the niche Japanese market already with all the JRPGs such as Tales, IU, and Star Ocean. (Maybe LR, maybe)

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Wow that must make the PS3 a godly:|blushield

So far 360 has one AAE RPG. It has Fable 2 (Sequel to a flop) and Star Ocean 3 still to come

So far Ps3 has no AA exclusive RPGs. But it has Valkyria Chronicles, FF vs 13 and White Knight Story still to come

There's also the fact that the Ps3 is performing beter than the 360 in Japan (and everywhere else for that matter).

Not really

Theere's only one good JRPG on the overrated console, and the Wii and PS3 have better JRPPG lineups for the future

Like everything else lemmings are severely overestimating the JRPGs on their failing system

Right and there goes your credibility too:lol:

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Ibacai"]MS is really stepping up, lets go Sony and Nintendo.Ibacai

Possibly, a lot of what ifs and maybes. I'd just like to see Sony take some initiative.

Well White Knight Story is pretty much the first blockbuster RPG on the PS3, its pretty much AAA quality