MS, Nintendo, and Sony are skipping E3 2023! The end of an era for E3?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

This comes from IGN: Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony Won't Be Part of E3 2023

I'll just keep this short. The Pandemic really hit hard on E3 for the past 3 years and from their, everyone from the gaming industry just did their own events through the power of digital media so makes sense to not spend money on E3 itself. Obviously we all know Sony was gonna skip E3 so no surprise from them but MS on the other hand always try supporting E3 but not this time. Does this news bothers you?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts
@davillain said:

Does this news bothers you?

No. I've never been to an E3, and I wouldn't travel to another country just to go to it. All I care about is companies showing their new games, and that will continue just fine without E3.

Guess I'll at most miss the spectacle a bit, but no biggie.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@davillain said:

Does this news bothers you?

Nope. Haven't cared about E3 in forever. Before seeing this thread, wouldn't be able to recall if it's still a thing.

Only real value is when I see people post cringe compilations later.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts

Well that definitely sucks. I love E3 and this news makes me sad. 😔

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator

@ConanTheStoner: @Litchie: No argument their. E3 to me has been going downhill around 2017 and everyone doing their own events at anytime makes more sense in the matter of speaking.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38943 Posts

Game awards is the new E3, and Ragnarok won six awards during the show. It is what it is.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12996 Posts

Looks like MS is going to continue be at E3 in their own theater like they do every year.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45157 Posts

I guess from a business standpoint, it’s easier, cheaper, and more effective to do a 30/40 minute video that they can control and edit as opposed to doing a live show and trying to make a spectacle out of it. Nevertheless, I really did enjoy thone moments when they tried surprised us. Sony used to do great E3s.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@kvallyx said:

Looks like MS is going to continue be at E3 in their own theater like they do every year.

If that's the case, I expect them to show off more on Starfield which could be the main event.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@davillain:

Yeah man there was a time when I thought E3 was pretty hype. Can't even remember how long ago it's been now lol. At one point, attending E3 was something I really wanted to do. Now you'd have to pay me to go.

Just think a number of factors have dragged it down. Tons of trailers and announcements with no gameplay, for games that are likely years off. Big releases just move at a much slower pace than they used to, and I find most of the big games way less appealing these days. And then the fact that yeah, all these companies can now announce/show games on their own timetables. Makes way more sense, and makes E3 seem like an increasingly dated platform.

Seems more like a fading tradition at this point. One that's become a big hollow commercial for the most part, only having the occasional highlight here and there.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11106 Posts

Don't worry, Ubisoft will still probably have a presence ther-LOLOLOLOLOL *SNORT*. Sorry

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59022 Posts

Watch for the cringe.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

Signs of E3's death...

1. Nintendo Direct

2. The data leak exposing journalist privacy, making Geoff Keighley boycott them and found his own conference

3. Sony doing State of Play

4, Now... MS doing their own Developer Direct

A song for E3:

Loading Video...

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5256 Posts

Once E3 had stopped being a convention (as originally intended) and become a multi-day infomercial for the major publishers, it lost its relevance. There is more to a gaming convention than announcements and spectacles. What about E3 as a place where industry figures can meet each other in-person, talk, and even exchange ideas? This human, personal, aspect cannot be done in a virtual E3.

We will have to see whether E3 will continue without the appearance of the three major publishers.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@davillain:

Yeah man there was a time when I thought E3 was pretty hype. Can't even remember how long ago it's been now lol. At one point, attending E3 was something I really wanted to do. Now you'd have to pay me to go.

Just think a number of factors have dragged it down. Tons of trailers and announcements with no gameplay, for games that are likely years off. Big releases just move at a much slower pace than they used to, and I find most of the big games way less appealing these days. And then the fact that yeah, all these companies can now announce/show games on their own timetables. Makes way more sense, and makes E3 seem like an increasingly dated platform.

Seems more like a fading tradition at this point. One that's become a big hollow commercial for the most part, only having the occasional highlight here and there.

E3 was never a show for gamers, but for businesspeople. I went to E3 once, and all the best stuff was behind closed doors and you needed to make an appointment to see it.

That said, I did get to play PS Vita and WiiU six months before they came out, so that was nice.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#16 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Hey. There’s still a Blockbuster in Bend, Oregon, so maybe E3 will continue living too.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

There isn’t much point of paying a media outlet for something you can put out yourself. E3 doesn’t reach more customers in any way, they are issueless middlemen now.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts

MS doesn't really need to pay to register for space at the Convention Center or pay to be part of the actual E3 event because they still own the theater across the street if they want a proxy live presence.

Though seems just doing a pre-assembled trailer playlist kind of event really is the most economic way to go about it. And with Covid concerns I can see vendors having issues getting people to commit far ahead of time.

Maybe the only real benefit is for companies like Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo to influence peddle with developers and the press and so on, networking, etc. Seems the people who will lose out most are people who like attending these events because they are fun to go to. For those that don't attend, the meat of these events is the game trailers and gameplay demonstrations, whether they update us on a game's development and release schedule, and to surprise us with newly debuted games. That's still happening.

I've said it before, though I know devs hate making vertical slices demos for events when it eats into their development time and resources. But if they make them, modern streaming technology with Game Pass and PS Plus and so on, they could make some of that stuff accessible to players for the limited duration of these events, to get people to tune in. Someone should try that, the opportunity is ripe for making waves doing this.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

I thought E3 was a waste of time as usually either Sony or Nintendo steals the show and it's just better for publishers provide news all year round. But now that the event is dead I kinda miss the war it's always a good time duking it out in system wars.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

The last real e3 really was like 2018. 2019 was really bad, 2020 didnt have it because of covid and 2021 was really bad and last year bad or didnt have it dont quite remember. I miss e3 was like the super bowl of video games and I hate sony marketing now days of drip feading and nintendo and there randomness but I know now days e3 is also not really need when you can just randomly drop info of on like YouTube and such.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2937 Posts

Back in the old days, E3 was the coolest thing around. Nowadays I guess we will just watch Microsoft/Sony shows on youtube. It makes me a bit sad.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8477 Posts

As long as Ubisoft is there I don't care what happens to the rest. Ubisoft don't you dare try to back out or else how would I get my laughs.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12575 Posts

Haven't been to one since 2001. Doubt it'll ever be as good as then.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

Well that sucks.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

That's sad to hear about. All the console makers are not going to be involved with this year's E3.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2140 Posts

Man, I remember when E3 was the biggest time of the year if you were a gamer. The fanfare, the horrible game reporters who were ridiculously hot. The horrible presentations.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1154 Posts

I thought E3 was done with a year or so ago, hence why we have those Summer Award shows, etc, etc, etc.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

The one cool thing about E3 was that it was almost guaranteed we'd hear exciting news about games in the summer. It was consistent. Now we're going to get slow dribbles of news throughout the year. It won't be consistent either.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

Time to shine a light on interesting indie games;

I think PC gaming show always did a nice job of shining a light on all sorts of games and all sorts of genres. But it was just way too damn long. Maybe they should split it into several shows covering different genres:

ie Simulation, strategy, shooter, ...

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KvallyX

@davillain said:
@kvallyx said:

If that's the case, I expect them to show off more on Starfield which could be the main event.

Well, if Starfield is still H1 2023, then that would be pretty late.

Simonthekid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Simonthekid7
Member since 2014 • 982 Posts

@davillain said:

This comes from IGN: Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony Won't Be Part of E3 2023

I'll just keep this short. The Pandemic really hit hard on E3 for the past 3 years and from their, everyone from the gaming industry just did their own events through the power of digital media so makes sense to not spend money on E3 itself. Obviously we all know Sony was gonna skip E3 so no surprise from them but MS on the other hand always try supporting E3 but not this time. Does this news bothers you?

The big game companies are sort of free riders. They should contribute to E3 a bit. Maybe not the huge monters like usual but a small booth.

Now they want to take a free ride on the E3 train sort of. They want to be there with their own shows near E3.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#32 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts

I don't see why it would bother most people since most on here haven't been to one of these conferences. Now the ball is in E3 hands to redefine the event. Maybe focus more on smaller developers.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts

Back in the day E3 was great, lots of news/first looks gave you an idea about what was coming out and when, but you probably need to go as far back as 2015 to find the last real standout show.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1461 Posts

I can understand them moving to a digital-only event where they can expect sufficient publicity despite lower costs and flexible schedules. Nevertheless, E3 has a name value and tradition that is too good to disappear, and there is a good chance that it will continue to exist as a local, mid-sized gaming convention like PAX East, Gamescom, or TGS.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 st_monica

@kvallyx said:

@lamprey263 said:

MS doesn't really need to pay to register for space at the Convention Center or pay to be part of the actual E3 event because they still own the theater across the street if they want a proxy live presence.

Well, I know this is confusing, but MS does not actually own or operate the Microsoft Theater. They just pay for the naming rights to it. A quick Google search will tell you that it is AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group), not MS, that actually owns and operates the theater.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KvallyX

@st_monica said:
@kvallyx said:

@lamprey263 said:

Well, I know this is confusing, but MS does not actually own or operate the Microsoft Theater. They just pay for the naming rights to it. A quick Google search will tell you that it is AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group), not MS, that actually owns and operates the theater.

I never said they "owned" it. It's like any other venue that is sponsored. In this case, Microsoft holds their own events at the MIcrosoft Theater (which is a theater that is sponsored by Microsoft). They own the naming rights of the theater for a contracted period of time, which then at the end of the contract, others can bid to the naming rights.

But glad you came to the pony rescue!

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By st_monica

@kvallyx: Oh, that's what you meant. Then that's fine.

I've seen comments from time to time that people misunderstand that MS has its own theater venue (i.e., MS rents its theater to TGA), so I wrote it for their benefit as well.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KvallyX

@st_monica said:

@kvallyx: Oh, that's what you meant. Then that's fine.

I've seen comments from time to time that people misunderstand that MS has its own theater venue (i.e., MS rents its theater to TGA), so I wrote it for their benefit as well.

All good in the hood!

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Even ten years ago or so E3 was losing its luster. Sure it was still fun to watch and quite anticipated but it wasn't as it used to be years before the internet evolved into leaks and game drops ahead of the program. Far too many people laughed when Nintendo decided to forgo a live show for a prerecorded segment but look at how the others have followed.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24936 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Watch for the cringe.

bet 99.9% of games shown will be 2d indie games that can run on calculator let alone mobile.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

Awww. E3 was always a good time for getting the ol list together. Not too surprised they are not bothering but still.....aww. And who doesn't love a good ol megaton?

...That leaves more time for the E3 PC Gaming show so....woohoo 6 hours of announcements :D. Right?.....Right?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59022 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Watch for the cringe.

bet 99.9% of games shown will be 2d indie games that can run on calculator let alone mobile.

Only good thing about E3 last year was learning Gordie Laforge had a hot daughter.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#44 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10590 Posts

An obsolete relic of the 90s struggling to stay relevant in the 21st century. News at 11.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator

@girlusocrazy said:

Each company pulled out of E3 to focus on their own presentations, so I didn't expect them to come back.

I liked an event where we could expect reveals from the biggest game companies all at once.

We'll still get the announcements, but I don't know if they'll continue to be all at once if the companies don't want to compete for attention.

Can't say I blame the big 3 for pulling out. E3 is just way expensive when it comes paying for a booth and doing your own thing at home is free money and not to mention you don't need to worry about critical infos leaking to the public so having that under control is what E3 fails to do. Covid-19 just made it easier for every major game publishers to pull out of E3. At least Summer Game Fest will save the day.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

Back in the day, it was my Christmas. Come home after work and download all the conferences, then veg-out for a few hours. It was like going to the carnival, with all the buzz and excitement. The live show, and the potential for tragedy was what made it entertaining.

Now it's a sterile, packaged, 20 minute video every 4-6 months, that consistently underwhelms. And I absolutely hate it. I would rather them do nothing, than what they are doing.