MoW: Assault Squad 2 released on Steam * COH2 alternative

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4348 posts) -

Steam Store

It's basically a hardcore alternative to Company of Heroes 2.

Content:

• 15 new single player skirmishes plus 25 reworked ones from the original Assault Squad
  • eight player co-op support and an all new multiplayer extreme game mode
  • 65 multiplayer maps and five gamemodes
  • more than 250 vehicles at your command
  • more than 200 soldiers with unique equipment
  • five factions and various battlefields in Europe, Eastern Europe, Northern Africa and the Pacific
  • development tools such as 3d model exporter and map/mission editor, and much more.

#2 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16088 posts) -

I got my hands full with Company of Heroes 2 at the moment. For all the negativity it got, the multiplayer is solid ! I already put 150+ hours into it and I don't see myself stopping any time soon.

On topic though: I'll definitely put this on my wishlist. I'm always interested in historical WW2 RTS (or RTT).

What is the singleplayer campaign about ? Do you get to play all factions ? That would be very nice :)

#3 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1821 posts) -

I'm getting it soon . Looks epic .

#4 Posted by pelvist (4468 posts) -

Already have this but havent played it yet. I just hope its better optimized than its predecessor.

#5 Posted by wis3boi (30897 posts) -

not a knock against the game, but it's absolutely nothing like coh/coh2, and as such not an 'alternative'

#6 Edited by with_teeth26 (5993 posts) -

I got it already, played it for like 5 hours when it was in early access. It was my first experience with a MoW game, I think its needlessly complex and full of micro management. Having to individually ensure each soldier has enough ammo and special equipment is just silly. Being able to take manual control over tanks is pretty neat though.

I am taking a break from CoH 2 in anticipation of the new factions but I don't think this will replace it as my main RTS game.

#7 Posted by Wasdie (49332 posts) -

Is the Assault Squad series a bit less involved than the original MoW series? I understand what the dev is going for but the amount of micro management in the series is just absurd. It takes the fun right out of it.

#8 Posted by WallofTruth (1081 posts) -

I second that. 250 vehicles? Impressive! I have all of the Men of War games (besides this one obviously) on Steam but haven't played them yet because I just have too many games but Assault Squad 2 will definitely go on my wishlist.

#9 Posted by wis3boi (30897 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

I second that. 250 vehicles? Impressive! I have all of the Men of War games (besides this one obviously) on Steam but haven't played them yet because I just have too many games but Assault Squad 2 will definitely go on my wishlist.

if you like large unit counts, wargame has 1500

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16088 posts) -

I got it already, played it for like 5 hours when it was in early access. It was my first experience with a MoW game, I think its needlessly complex and full of micro management. Having to individually ensure each soldier has enough ammo and special equipment is just silly. Being able to take manual control over tanks is pretty neat though.

I am taking a break from CoH 2 in anticipation of the new factions but I don't think this will replace it as my main RTS game.

The new factions are going to be awesome.

But I still play COH2 almost daily, it's my most played online game at the moment. There is much depth to each faction making each round feel different. And if the 2 new armies also provide that depth, I'm sure I'll put in many more hours.

#11 Edited by uninspiredcup (6880 posts) -

Does this have base building? I don't like base building in World war 2 games.

#12 Posted by DraugenCP (8469 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

Is the Assault Squad series a bit less involved than the original MoW series? I understand what the dev is going for but the amount of micro management in the series is just absurd. It takes the fun right out of it.

Definitely. I'm pretty crap at strategy games, but it didn't take me considerably more effort to get into Assault Squad 1 than it took me to get used to the original CoH. Adding to that, I heavily preferred Assault Squad to Company of Heroes.

I should add that I got a review copy of Assault Squad and was thus more or less forced to play it at length. So my advice to you is to just force yourself to sit down with the game for like 3-4 hours, and odds are you'll end up loving it.

Haven't played Assault Squad 2, btw, but I'll probably get it at one point.

#13 Posted by WallofTruth (1081 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@walloftruth said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

I already own the first Wargame on Steam, never played it though...man I have so many amazing games on Steam but not nearly enough time to play them all...damn bundles and sales...

#14 Edited by wis3boi (30897 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@walloftruth said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

I already own the first Wargame on Steam, never played it though...man I have so many amazing games on Steam but not nearly enough time to play them all...damn bundles and sales...

i never got into the first two much despite having them, but the 3rd, Red Dragon, is nucking futs

#15 Posted by WallofTruth (1081 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@walloftruth said:

@wis3boi said:

@walloftruth said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

i never got into the first two much despite having them, but the 3rd, Red Dragon, is nucking futs

Yeah I have followed Red Dragon before it came out and it really looks amazing!