MotorStorm Import Impressions (ouch)

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SwigGY12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 SwigGY12
Member since 2004 • 6974 Posts
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/751/751452p1.html

"Sony Japan pushes a potentially killer title out the door too early."

"Based on its Japanese release (and I'll remind you that the version I'm writing about isn't the one that's due out in the West), Motorstorm is the most featureless racer I've ever played."

"The game doesn't even have any form of multiplayer racing. While we knew about the lack of online in the Japanese version, there's no multiplayer what-so-ever, not even split screen!"

"Load times prior to the start of a race can take up to 45 seconds. Car selection requires that you wait for new car models to load up, and you can't even see your car's stats on the selection screen (the stats are available in the manual). It's exactly like the demo, and is unacceptable for a final product."
-------

They are gonna have to haul ass before bringing it over to North America.
MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts
So its that bad huh?Well i guess ill look forward to virtua fighter as  the first aaa ps3 game since thats coming out in febuary(something tells me tho as this wont be good either as the date seems so sudden and so soon)And it was suppose to be out 2nd quarter
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -Pale
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
"this is the most technically impressive game I've ever played." Hellz yeah. The japanese got gimped with this version, no type of mutliplayer whatsoever and all you do is complete the tickets. Not even an arcade mode, or any type of customization. Sucks for them, I would imagine.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
just dreadful!
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
Question is how much can they sort out in the next 3 months?
LesanePCrooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LesanePCrooks
Member since 2006 • 64 Posts
another flop, sony is on the right track so far! bu bu bu, it was rushed... truth is .. sonys had an extra year for dev time on these games that are flopping..... sony is continueing to get people to buy their lackluster products for exuberant prices, because, consumers who buy them are dumb and are willling to pay 600 for the sony name.
EndlessGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EndlessGamer
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts

I've no idea why people want this game, for the graphics?, go drive a real car much better. Gameplay is average at best, Need for speed carbon scored better in Famitsu,

FABurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FABurch
Member since 2005 • 285 Posts
Sony must not think MotorStorm could do well in Japan to even give them the full game, may be they think it'll be a system seller for other markets(NA, EU)?
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Pale
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts

I've no idea why people want this game, for the graphics?, go drive a real car much better. Gameplay is average at best, Need for speed carbon scored better in Famitsu,

EndlessGamer
"The driving component of Motorstorm is a blast to play. You've never played a racing game quite like this, where the type of car you select can totally change the feel of the course, where the bumps and other obstacles that line the course are more of a challenge than your opponent racers, and where each lap can be raced on a different path. As I played, I found myself thinking that no two races are ever alike, and every race is better than the last." "We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever." Did you read the preview? Or.. :?
SwigGY12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SwigGY12
Member since 2004 • 6974 Posts
[QUOTE="EndlessGamer"]

-Pale
"The driving component of Motorstorm is a blast to play. You've never played a racing game quite like this, where the type of car you select can totally change the feel of the course, where the bumps and other obstacles that line the course are more of a challenge than your opponent racers, and where each lap can be raced on a different path. As I played, I found myself thinking that no two races are ever alike, and every race is better than the last." "We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever." Did you read the preview? Or.. :?

Yes, I did. I was just trying to make it so the game looks terrible, obvously. :D
needlesmcgirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 needlesmcgirk
Member since 2006 • 627 Posts
I think its hard to say a game that "the most technically impressive game [the reviewer has] ever played" is a flop. Wait till it actually comes out over here and we'll see how it looks. I can't immagine how fun this is going to be to play online with a bunch of people. Good lord its going to be really fun.
rocklegacy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rocklegacy2
Member since 2005 • 8428 Posts
Europe and  North America get the better versions.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
What is it with Sony and load times?
needlesmcgirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 needlesmcgirk
Member since 2006 • 627 Posts
Question is how much can they sort out in the next 3 months?cakeorrdeath
They rushed the game to go out in Japan, so they spent all their time working on the gameplay itself, and making it as solid as they can. That's probably 99% complete, so they really just need to add in the final details. Its not that difficult to add an option to allow you to drive on the coarse with no other vehicles for time trials, etc. Also, adding the stats for each vehicle at the selection screen is no more than a few days of coding and graphics developing. I would even bet they there will be extra courses (although they did state that extra sourses, etc. will be downloadable) and perhaps even a vehicle customization option, with more downloadable content. This game is going to be rock solid when it comes out. I can't wait.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]Question is how much can they sort out in the next 3 months?needlesmcgirk
They rushed the game to go out in Japan, so they spent all their time working on the gameplay itself, and making it as solid as they can. That's probably 99% complete, so they really just need to add in the final details. Its not that difficult to add an option to allow you to drive on the coarse with no other vehicles for time trials, etc. Also, adding the stats for each vehicle at the selection screen is no more than a few days of coding and graphics developing. I would even bet they there will be extra courses (although they did state that extra sourses, etc. will be downloadable) and perhaps even a vehicle customization option, with more downloadable content. This game is going to be rock solid when it comes out. I can't wait.

Optimizing load times, adding multiplayer and online support, adding extra modes. Yeah that will take no time at all:roll:
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
I have a feeling, this gen is going to end up being like pc. both 360 and ps3 will probably end up throwing out unfinsihed product, and use the online service to dl patches. just my opinion at least. being a pc gamer for 7yrs im use to it. but i hope consoles dont follow the same route as pc game devs do.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
[QUOTE="-Pale"] "The driving component of Motorstorm is a blast to play. You've never played a racing game quite like this, where the type of car you select can totally change the feel of the course, where the bumps and other obstacles that line the course are more of a challenge than your opponent racers, and where each lap can be raced on a different path. As I played, I found myself thinking that no two races are ever alike, and every race is better than the last." "We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever." Did you read the preview? Or.. :?

Why defend this flop ? The japanese version won't be much different from the one coming out next year.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alfy13
[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="-Pale"] "The driving component of Motorstorm is a blast to play. You've never played a racing game quite like this, where the type of car you select can totally change the feel of the course, where the bumps and other obstacles that line the course are more of a challenge than your opponent racers, and where each lap can be raced on a different path. As I played, I found myself thinking that no two races are ever alike, and every race is better than the last." "We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever." Did you read the preview? Or.. :?

Why defend this flop ? The japanese version won't be much different from the one coming out next year.

guess if you research the product, you wouldnt be saying this. NA version will have MP. The demo to me is good to me that is.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Felous1
guess if you research the product, you wouldnt be saying this. NA version will have MP. The demo to me is good to me that is. alfy13
It still won't fix the other major problems. Unless they delay the game for 6-12 months.
djord02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 djord02
Member since 2003 • 1495 Posts
LOL, I was just about to post this. Another PS3 title bites the dust.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"]guess if you research the product, you wouldnt be saying this. NA version will have MP. The demo to me is good to me that is. Felous1
It still won't fix the other major problems. Unless they delay the game for 6-12 months.

ok tell me this, what major problems are y ou talking about? tell me, show me links. 
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Felous1
You need to stop pulling stuff out of your ass.InsaneBasura
Tell us how much it will score, then. It will be lots of fun when this game flops here and at IGN.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Felous1
ok tell me this, what major problems are y ou talking about? tell me show me links. alfy13
Read the link the topic creator provided.
Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

"Based on its Japanese release (and I'll remind you that the version I'm writing about isn't the one that's due out in the West), Motorstorm is the most featureless racer I've ever played."

"The game doesn't even have any form of multiplayer racing. While we knew about the lack of online in the Japanese version, there's no multiplayer what-so-ever, not even split screen!"

"Load times prior to the start of a race can take up to 45 seconds. Car selection requires that you wait for new car models to load up, and you can't even see your car's stats on the selection screen (the stats are available in the manual). It's exactly like the demo, and is unacceptable for a final product."
-------

SwigGY12

Where is the ouch?  Sounds like you didn't read the whole thing.

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"]ok tell me this, what major problems are y ou talking about? tell me show me links. Felous1
Read the link the topic creator provided.

hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?
djord02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 djord02
Member since 2003 • 1495 Posts

"Motorstorm is the most featureless racer I've ever played." - IGN

Apparently, you got 7/8ths of the game in the free demo

"The game doesn't even have any form of multiplayer racing. While we knew about the lack of online in the Japanese version, there's no multiplayer what-so-ever, not even split screen!" - IGN

Wow, that's next gen functionality right there.

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Felous1
ok tell me this, what major problems are y ou talking about? tell me, show me links. alfy13
And this one as well. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/cheapyds-motorstorm-ps3-review.php
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Felous1
hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?alfy13
Just read what our mate cake said on this thread: "Optimizing load times, adding multiplayer and online support, adding extra modes. Yeah that will take no time at all"
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]You need to stop pulling stuff out of your ass.Felous1
Tell us how much it will score, then. It will be lots of fun when this game flops here and at IGN.

I was asking you to stop making your baseless assumptions out to be facts, not trying to start some sort of wager...

EDIT
And for gods sake mods, what's so damn awful about telling someone to stop making **** up? Please tell me cause I don't understand.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"]hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?Felous1
Just read what our mate cake said on this thread: "Optimizing load times, adding multiplayer and online support, adding extra modes. Yeah that will take no time at all"

ok so what y our saying is. a game that comes out in march will not have MP, online support? funny though the interview with the dev said. MP , online support will be in the NA and UK version. also in the future their will be more maps to dl. but i guess 3months isnt enough time for MP and online support. i should write to them and let them know, they know jack about their own product. becasue this guy felous says, 3 months isnt enough time for all this to be added. (word of advice, you think game devs only make one version of the game? no games devs make multiples version to play with, before making a decission which one they are going with.)
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Felous1
I was asking you to stop making your baseless assumptions out to be facts, not trying to start some sort of wager...InsaneBasura
Hey smart guy, do you know when the NA version is coming out ? Is that hard to understand common sense ?
Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

[QUOTE="alfy13"]hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?Felous1

You ever think that is already done and that to rush the game into Japan they just released a souped up version of the demo instead of waiting for the full game to be finished?

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alfy13

ok so what y our saying is. a game that comes out in march will not have MP, online support? funny though the interview with the dev said. MP , online support will be in the NA and UK version. also in the future their will be more maps to dl. but i guess 3months isnt enough time for MP and online support. i should write to them and let them know, they know jack about their own product. becasue this guy felous says, 3 months isnt enough time for all this to be added. (word of advice, you think game devs only make one version of the game? no, games devs make multiples version to play with, before making a decission which one they are going with. i wish you use common sense before posting..)
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Felous1

You ever think that is already done and that to rush the game into Japan they just released a souped up version of the demo instead of waiting for the full game to be finished?

Rosencrantz
God, there's no point in arguing with you people. I will bookmark this thread and when this game is realeased you will understand what cake and I are talking about. (If there's no delay, of course)
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]I was asking you to stop making your baseless assumptions out to be facts, not trying to start some sort of wager...Felous1
Hey smart guy, do you know when the NA version is coming out ? Is that hard to understand common sense ?

I see you're confusing your baseless assumptions with common sense rather than facts now. I guess that's progress.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

-------

SwigGY12

"Motorstorm is
the most featureless racer I've ever played."

i don't care who you are, THAT'S funny stuff....:lol:

and i thought "teh cell" and bluray meant better games....:lol:

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tango90101

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="alfy13"]hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?Rosencrantz

you ever think of any other game released in japan having the upgrades you cows are wishing for...? ;)

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Felous1

I see you're confusing your baseless assumptions with common sense rather than facts now. I guess that's progress.
InsaneBasura
Good games take a long time to make, that is a fact. You are telling me that in 3 months they will, fix the loading times, add 10 modes, add 300 cars and 40 tracks with deep customization ? Get real.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alfy13
[QUOTE="Rosencrantz"]

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="alfy13"]hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?tango90101

you ever think of any other game released in japan having the upgrades you cows are wishing for...? ;)

why do you think this gen of consoles uses the internet for? pc games most of time comes unfinshed. there is something call patches. i feel this gen of consoles will follow the route of pc game devs.
Avatar image for g8torsbizktai20
g8torsbizktai20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 g8torsbizktai20
Member since 2006 • 1345 Posts
Nice job on leaving out the final 2-3 paragraphs in the article where the guys says what a great game this is. 
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="Rosencrantz"]

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="alfy13"]hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?alfy13

why do you think this gen of consoles uses the internet for? pc games most of time comes unfinshed. there is something call patches. i feel this gen of consoles will follow the route of pc game devs.

that would be silly since console gamers are predominatly NOT online....

this would be a terrible pattern for sony to fall into; releasing unfinished games and release patches in the hopes people have high speed bb....:(

Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="-Pale"] "The driving component of Motorstorm is a blast to play. You've never played a racing game quite like this, where the type of car you select can totally change the feel of the course, where the bumps and other obstacles that line the course are more of a challenge than your opponent racers, and where each lap can be raced on a different path. As I played, I found myself thinking that no two races are ever alike, and every race is better than the last." "We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever." Did you read the preview? Or.. :?

guess if you research the product, you wouldnt be saying this. NA version will have MP. The demo to me is good to me that is.

and how good will that Multiplayer be? My guess not that great, if it isn't ready for the Japan version, 3 months will not make that much difference, not with all the missing features and options in the version just released. 3 months is no time at all to developers.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="Rosencrantz"]

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="alfy13"]hmm my job blocks ign. so if its the same thing that i read yesterday. they said the game was not the NA version. so what major problems are you talking about?tango90101

that would be silly since console gamers are predominatly NOT online....

this would be a terrible pattern for sony to fall into; releasing unfinished games and release patches in the hopes people have high speed bb....:(

oh you say? then why did oblivion have patches when i bougth it for my 360 when it came out? nvm its hard to educate console newbs.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 alfy13
[QUOTE="Danthegamingman"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="-Pale"] "The driving component of Motorstorm is a blast to play. You've never played a racing game quite like this, where the type of car you select can totally change the feel of the course, where the bumps and other obstacles that line the course are more of a challenge than your opponent racers, and where each lap can be raced on a different path. As I played, I found myself thinking that no two races are ever alike, and every race is better than the last." "We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever." Did you read the preview? Or.. :?

and how good will that Multiplayer be? My guess not that great, if it isn't ready for the Japan version, 3 months will not make that much difference, not with all the missing features and options in the version just released. 3 months is no time at all to developers.

may i ask you a question? do you think game devs only make one version of the game to test on? no , games devs make multiples version of the game they are devolping. but if you would of used logic , i wouldnt be here replying to you. GG Dan
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]
Felous1
Good games take a long time to make, that is a fact. You are telling me that in 3 months they will, fix the loading times, add 10 modes, add 300 cars and 40 tracks with deep customization ? Get real.

No I'm not. :|
Are you telling me it'll take them five years to add 2 cars? Get real. :|

Adding 10 modes, 300 cars and 40 tracks would take a substantial amount of time, but luckily no one (but you apparently) is expecting them to. IGN however are expecting the things lacking in the Japanese version to be fixed. I'm inclined to agree with them. Optimizing loading, adding car stats and some form of custom race/tournament option shouldn't be too difficult to manage in 3 months time. Multiplayer support with leaderboards and whatnot has already been confirmed.

The Japanese version essentially is a beta (but rather than riddled with bugs it's missing features) and it's kind of sad how lemmings bash the game based on it.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 alfy13
I think i should write to Evolution studio, and let them know that ppl from GS forums know more about your product then your own company. and your interview that states that the NA and UK version will have added features and MP is BS. Because the ppl from GS forums says 3 months is not enough time to add that type of content. who cares if you have antoher version in your studios that already have this features. The ppl from GS forums know so much, that i rather trust them , then you guys at your studio. QQ some more Evolution
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Felous1

No I'm not. :|
Are you telling me it'll take them five years to add 2 cars? .
InsaneBasura
Somehow 2 cars aren't going to add much variety to like they say, "the most featureless racing game" they have ever played.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Felous1

Optimizing loading, adding car stats and some form of custom race/tournament option shouldn't be too difficult to manage in 3 months time.
InsaneBasura
That's not the only thing they have to do in 3 months, they are working on the online part as well. You know, they have to test it a lot and fix the bugs and such. And do you know when the japanese version of the game was released ? Tell me. "The japanese version is a beta version" Weakest attempt at damage control of the month !
cocodasilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cocodasilva
Member since 2006 • 1318 Posts
TC left out about half the impressions......the bottom half the impressions were GOOD looking forward to American release as the one of the best racers ever. /joke thread.