Most Influential and Genre Defining FPS Games of all Time...

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom

Quake

GoldenEye

Half-Life

Counter Strike

Halo

Honourable mentions: Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex, Battlefield 1942 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

That's what I would say anyway.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Doom. /debate.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
No argument needed considering the answer is Doom. Any other answer is wrong.
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

You forgot two: System Shock, first FPS game with RPG elements and story

Strife, first FPS that allowed you to talk with NPCs, had multiple quests, different factions to ally with and 3 different endings.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

In my opinion Doom started what it meant to be an FPS. Kickass music, the shotgun, moddability, deathmatch, Co-op just to name a few.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

CoD4 is not really influential.

Nor are DE or SS, considering they're hardly categorized as FPSs.

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

Wolfenstein

Doom

Quake

GoldenEye

Half-Life

Counter Strike

Halo

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Honourable mentions: Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex and Battlefield 1942

That's what I would say anyway.

amaneuvering

Wolfenstein created FPS, Half Life perfected FPS, Golden Eye consoled FPS, Halo mainstreamed FPS, CoD 4 further mainstreamed FPS.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 amaneuvering

I don't actually like COD4: MW that much but I can't deny it's influence and mainstream impact. I mean pretty much every game has some kind of load-out and levelling system now, and it's record breaking launch and sales numbers deserve some kind of respect. It's probably the only game in my list that I don't personally like but I think it should be there, and I know if it wasn't there would be more people complaining it wasn't there than those who will complain because it is.

Edit: Actually, I decided to add COD4: MW into the honourable mentions since I don't think it's really defined that much in current-gen FPS games and it's more just an unbelievably popular example of modern FPS games that's benefited by incorporating most of the elements from the truly influential FPS games that came before it in a popular modern day war setting.

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts
Half-life. Without Half life we wouldnt have counterstrike, L4D, Call of duty, etc. etc. But Half-life 1 was running on the Quake engine, so id have to say doom and quake in the earlier 90's and then Half-life picked up after that.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#10 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom

Quake

Goldeneye

Half-Life

LIONHEART-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LIONHEART-_-
Member since 2010 • 2520 Posts

Quake, Half-Life, Doom (the classics)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Wolfenstein created FPS, Half Life perfected FPS, Golden Eye consoled FPS, Halo mainstreamed FPS, CoD 4 further mainstreamed FPS.

stevoqwerty
This can all be really broken down into Doom. Doom's popularity was huge, it made the genre what it was, it defined the genre as well as many popular tropes - be it multiplayer or user generated content, and its wake is still visible today. Naturally I am not scratching into the influence by design or social influence. Sure games like Half Life modernized the genre as far as influence goes, as did Halo expand the genre; their influence is huge. But neither really hold a candle to what Doom was, which really is the pinnacle in this regard.

I don't actually like COD4: MW that much but I can't deny it's influence and mainstream impact. I mean pretty much every game has some kind of load-out system now, and it's record breaking launch and sales numbers deserve some kind of respect.It's probably the only game in my list that I don't personally like but I think it should be there, and I know if it wasn't there would be more people complaining it wasn't there than those who will complain because it is.

amaneuvering
It's hard to tell as far as COD is concerned, even today. What it has proven to be is extremely popular, influential wise its RPG elements which are visible; mainly the leveling system in the genre. Otherwise COD sits in the wake of shooters before it in all other design regards. Naturally there are others you could rope in. Counter Strike for instance, which was huge, and is sitting in a similar position to what Quake was in the 90s and COD is now. Nonetheless Doom is on one hell of a pedestal.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#13 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Doom is the correct answer, obviously. The most important to me personally though is Red Faction. It was the game that really got me into the genra.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Doom is definitely the most influential, for obvious reasons. I'd say Half Life is next in that line for perfecting the "cinematic" FPS, without a single cutscene.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Wolf 3D and Doom. More recently,Half life 2.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19601 Posts

You forgot System Shock, first FPS game with RPG elements and story

Icarian

You might be right there, but System Shock borrowed a lot from Ultima Underwold - the first person RPG that inspired Wolfenstein 3D. Had Ultima Underworld had guns instead of swords, it might have been considered the first FPS (it was definitely more advanced than Wolf3D at the time).

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Wolfenstein :D
EliteKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EliteKitteh
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts

CoD4 is not really influential.

N30F3N1X

Well, it must have done something to become by far the highest selling FPS of all time (a record later demolished by its sequel).

Insecticidius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Insecticidius
Member since 2010 • 265 Posts
Your missing UT.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Well, it must have done something to become by far the highest selling FPS of all time (a record later demolished by its sequel).

EliteKitteh

Influential =/= popular.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Doom obviously

Insecticidius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Insecticidius
Why is Halo up there? Which game copied Halo? I see a lot more games copying Call of Duty... And remember UT and Quake etc before you claim every sci fi FPS is a Halo knock off...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6079d224de716

Why is Halo up there? Which game copied Halo? I see a lot more games copying Call of Duty... And remember UT and Quake etc before you claim every sci fi FPS is a Halo knock off...Insecticidius

Halo streamlined console fps games' controls and online play.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Honestly, there isn't really just one.

Doom, while not being the first, really popularized the genre. After that, it's all just iteration.

The next big change in my eyes, came with Rainbow Six, then Deus Ex.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

The answer is Doom. Anyone who answers this differently probably wasn'tgaming when Doom was at it's peek. Goldeneye would probably be my number 2 followed by Half Life.

Insecticidius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Insecticidius

[QUOTE="Insecticidius"]Why is Halo up there? Which game copied Halo? I see a lot more games copying Call of Duty... And remember UT and Quake etc before you claim every sci fi FPS is a Halo knock off...Orchid87

No it didn't, there were very popular conosle FPS's before Halo, not to mention PC FPS's... That's just wanting to give Halo credit for somehting it doesn't deserve.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Why is Halo up there? Which game copied Halo? I see a lot more games copying Call of Duty... And remember UT and Quake etc before you claim every sci fi FPS is a Halo knock off...Insecticidius

because it was influential I suppose.

and play Star Wars Republic Commando MP. minus Halo's jumping mechanic, it's a Halo clone in the Star Wars universe, of all things.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
killzone!!
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Orchid87"]

[QUOTE="Insecticidius"]Why is Halo up there? Which game copied Halo? I see a lot more games copying Call of Duty... And remember UT and Quake etc before you claim every sci fi FPS is a Halo knock off...Insecticidius

No it didn't, there were very popular conosle FPS's before Halo, not to mention PC FPS's... That's just wanting to give Halo credit for somehting it doesn't deserve.

I gotta agree. Halo didn't really change anything in the genra. It's just rediculously popular.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="Insecticidius"]Why is Halo up there? Which game copied Halo? I see a lot more games copying Call of Duty... And remember UT and Quake etc before you claim every sci fi FPS is a Halo knock off...Orchid87

... on consoles, to be more specific. It did for consoles what Doom did for PC we back when. Golden Eye in its day was great, but FPSs still remained a niche genre on the consoles. It was only with Halo did FPSs really come in its own on the set top boxes.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_ShakeXXX

killzone!!Renzokucant

:lol: No...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6079d224de716

[QUOTE="Orchid87"]

[QUOTE="Insecticidius"]Why is Halo up there? Which game copied Halo? I see a lot more games copying Call of Duty... And remember UT and Quake etc before you claim every sci fi FPS is a Halo knock off...VoodooHak

... on consoles, to be more specific. It did for consoles what Doom did for PC we back when. Golden Eye in its day was great, but FPSs still remained a niche genre on the consoles. It was only with Halo did FPSs really come in its own on the set top boxes.

Well, I said "...console fps games'..."

alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts
Doom would be the father of FPS games but there have been many siblings that have shaped it to become what it is today. Games like Halo that made regenerating health a common addition to all titles is an important name no matter how much people like to downplay it. CoD4's meritocracy is also being adopted quite heavily but its just to early to tell how influential that will be overall.

Half Life 1 deserves a nod as well but Half Life 2 does not. Simply since HL2 really did not influence that many games, physics puzzles are not really a norm of the FPS genre and that was really the only defining unique element about the game (yes the game is still absolutely amazing in pacing and gameplay and all that other good stuff but these elements are what all games strive to have anyway from way before HL2 came about). HL1 on the other hand showed off cinematic intelligent gameplay which is a biggie
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts

Pretty much any game with a regenerating health system can tip a hat to halo. It did not invent the system by any means, but it was the key influencer in making it a mainstream element of modern FPS's..

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="Orchid87"]

Orchid87

Well, I said "...console fps games'..."

Right. I repeated for emphasis since, as you can see, some people didn't get it.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="Insecticidius"][QUOTE="Orchid87"]

Master_ShakeXXX

No it didn't, there were very popular console FPS's before Halo, not to mention PC FPS's... That's just wanting to give Halo credit for something it doesn't deserve.

I gotta agree. Halo didn't really change anything in the genre. It's just ridiculously popular.

Recharging shields/energy and switching between a couple of main weapons rather than carrying 10-20 or so at once. These are pretty much staples of all current-gen FPS games these days and it was Halo that really introduced and implemented them in the way we all know and use them in the FPS genre. It also is one of the most influential FPS games in making the genre truly mainstream on consoles and pretty much defining the whole online multi-player console FPS experience as we know it. It also pretty much defined and entire generation of Xbox gamers and was, and quite possibly still is, arguably the undisputed console FPS king (the sales and online take-up of Reach will tell). It's place in the list is deserved.

emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
Marathon :P introduced vertical aiming (apparently)....
Insecticidius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Insecticidius

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="Insecticidius"] No it didn't, there were very popular conosle FPS's before Halo, not to mention PC FPS's... That's just wanting to give Halo credit for somehting it doesn't deserve. amaneuvering

I gotta agree. Halo didn't really change anything in the genra. It's just rediculously popular.

Recharging shields/energy and switching between a couple of main weapons rather than carrying 10-20 or so at once. These are pretty much staples of all current-gen FPS games these days and it was Halo that really introduced and implemented them in the way we all know and use them in the FPS genre. It also is one of the most influential FPS games in making the genre truly mainstream on consoles and pretty much defining the whole online multi-player console FPS experience as we know it.

Noo... Pretty much all Halo did was be mainstream popular for the Xbox... It wasn't influential at all.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
doom for the fps genre as a whole and halo for consoles.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
Marathon :P introduced vertical aiming (apparently)....emperorzhang66
And dual-wielding, too. But no one remembers Marathon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6079d224de716
switching between a couple of main weapons rather than carrying 10-20 or so at once.amaneuvering
Counter-Strike had this before Halo.
Hickamie14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Hickamie14
Member since 2007 • 1652 Posts

Half-Life

Goldeneye

Halo: Combat Evolved

Counter-Strike

Wolfenstein

Doom

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

Insecticidius

Recharging shields/energy and switching between a couple of main weapons rather than carrying 10-20 or so at once. These are pretty much staples of all current-gen FPS games these days and it was Halo that really introduced and implemented them in the way we all know and use them in the FPS genre. It also is one of the most influential FPS games in making the genre truly mainstream on consoles and pretty much defining the whole online multi-player console FPS experience as we know it.

Noo... Pretty much all Halo did was be mainstream popular for the Xbox... It wasn't influential at all.

Yes it was.

In the same way GoldenEye defined the console FPS genre in it's time, and it also sold a crap load of units to boot, Halo did exactly the same when it was released. It was the culmination of everything that had come before executed to near perfection in almost every single area and on top of that it introduced some brand new staples to the genre too that are still being used to this day. It's impact and influence on the genre is not yours to debate. You personally might not think the game is that significant but it's already guaranteed it's influence and place in history.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

Insecticidius

No. Halo has been hugely influential. It basically perfected the control scheme for consoles, popularized regenerating health, set up online multiplayer on consoles as we know it (Halo 2), popularized the two weapon limit, etc. You may not like it, but it is influential.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
  • Wolfenstein
  • Doom
  • Half-Life
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]switching between a couple of main weapons rather than carrying 10-20 or so at once.Orchid87
Counter-Strike had this before Halo.

Yes but Halo did it where the weapons were all so well balanced that the combination actually meant something and you had to actually think about which two you thought were the best to take into any given situation. Counter Strike was more about choosing a preferred primary weapon and simply having your handgun as a backup. Halo was about the strategic way you used the two weapons and it evolved the idea to near perfection. It's implementation was absolutely of massive impact and importance in the whole FPS genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Half life without a doubt. Unparalelled gameplay and story telling

Insecticidius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Insecticidius
[QUOTE="Insecticidius"][QUOTE="amaneuvering"]Recharging shields/energy and switching between a couple of main weapons rather than carrying 10-20 or so at once. These are pretty much staples of all current-gen FPS games these days and it was Halo that really introduced and implemented them in the way we all know and use them in the FPS genre. It also is one of the most influential FPS games in making the genre truly mainstream on consoles and pretty much defining the whole online multi-player console FPS experience as we know it.DarkLink77

No. Halo has been hugely influential. It basically perfected the control scheme for consoles, popularized regenerating health, set up online multiplayer on consoles as we know it (Halo 2), popularized the two weapon limit, etc. You may not like it, but it is influential.

No, Cod perfected console FPS controls. Halo is not influential at all.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

No, Cod perfected console FPS controls. Halo is not influential at all.Insecticidius

Do you even know when Call of Duty came to consoles?