More proof consoles are ruining pc experiences...

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=23904897#itemanchor_23904897

a

"Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us. I stand by it too, as you cannot discount designing games for a modern world and part of that world is consoles where the bulk of the sales can be. And on those consoles you have a controller. We tried for a long time to support lots of guns but we simply could not find a nice way to map it to a controller, despite trying 4-5 designs. We gave it enough time and decided to stop swimming against the current and adopt what was basically the "standard".

It's not 1996 anymore."

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

We need MORE proof?

Consoles are 6 year old PCs with terrible controls, I think the point has been proven. Anything more is just rubbing it in the console gamers faces, which isn't cool.

I hate consoles, but only because of the negative effect they have on gaming. I loved consoles as a kid though, so I see their place.

Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Warship_19
Member since 2010 • 1565 Posts
Can't we all just get along.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

"Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us. I stand by it too, as you cannot discount designing games for a modern world and part of that world is consoles where the bulk of the sales can be. And on those consoles you have a controller. We tried for a long time to support lots of guns but we simply could not find a nice way to map it to a controller, despite trying 4-5 designs. We gave it enough time and decided to stop swimming against the current and adopt what was basically the "standard".

It's not 1996 anymore."

SAGE_OF_FIRE

What are you trying to say with that link? All I saw was the reviewer grumbling about how he can only carry two weapons with him unlike say, Doom3 or HL2 where you can carry an arsenal.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Up until recently, I had no problem with PC gamers shoving their massive library and superior graphics in the face of console gamers. Now they're the most annoying people in System Wars. Leave the console gamers alone.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61536 Posts

Lulz, you gonna get hated on Sage.

OT though, that's kinda sucky.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Hermits need to take a chill pill. Seriously, they've been on a rampage lately.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4

tonitorsi

So have the anti-PC threads. That's likely the instigator.

Anjunaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Anjunaddict
Member since 2010 • 4178 Posts

Lol, us console people could care less.

bennie12
Exactly. Its not like its our fault, if you want to blame anyone, blame the developer for chasing the buck.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Consoles have done this for years.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Bwah, that sucks =( But Half Life 2 and Doom 3 allowed you to carry evrey gun on a console, how is this an exeption?
Avatar image for ProjectNatalFan
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProjectNatalFan
Member since 2010 • 2471 Posts

its as obvious as it can be. PC gaming is still a good thing, just not on the level sales wise and support wise as consoles.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Actually it's developer adopting an attitude that they have to make the same game between the PC and the consoles and electing to take the easy way out and not account for the PC's UI flexibility that is ruining PC experiences. Put the blame where it belongs.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

It's not 1996 anymore."

jun_aka_pekto

What are you trying to say with that link? All I saw was the reviewer grumbling about how he can only carry two weapons with him unlike say, Doom3 or HL2 where you can carry an arsenal.

Yep, the previewer being Brian Leahy the biggest PC fanboy gaming journalist, if don't belive me listen to a couple episodes of weekend confirmed.

Not being able to carry more than two weapons at a time isn't a problem created by consoles, it's a design choice made by the developers.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4

Actually it's developer adopting an attitude that they have to make the same game between the PC and the consoles and electing to take the easy way out and not account for the PC's UI flexibility that is ruining PC experiences. Put the blame where it belongs.

heretrix

Completely agree. Consolization is a term I hate here.

It oft comes down to time/budgetary constraints placed on devs by large publishers, or by themselves.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Developers have done this for years.

mitu123

Fix'd.

Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

lundy86_4

And so have the pro pc threads. Cmon, there was a 80 page thread solely questioning why people don't have gaming pc's.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

In the first Crysis you can only carry 2 weapons at once, i guess thats because of consoles...oh wait, it wasn't on consoles.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="Chrome-"] Hermits are the ones that start all this they need to justify and feel better about their $10,000 PC so they come up will all this random crap about how PC > consoles at everything. lundy86_4

How do Hermits start it, if it's in retaliation to anti-PC threads? There have been tons over the past week or so, and i've posted in quite a few of them.

Also, what's with the $10,000 PC? Hyperbole is a perfectly useful tool within the English language, but I have a feeling yours is born from ignorance.

its as obvious as it can be. PC gaming is still a good thing, just not on the level sales wise and support wise as consoles.

ProjectNatalFan

Then please explain how PC's get much more dev support if they are "not on the level sales wise and support wise".

they dont get much more support, they get overflooded with two genres RTS and MMO and everything else is console based, FPS, you tell me how many exclusives for the PC, Sports games? They are lucky to have NBA 2k11 otherwise they wouldnt have much, Fighting games? again maybe street fighter but other than that fighting games are more apt to come out on consoles. Racing games? Whats the last exclusive racing game?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

Sandvichman

And so have the pro pc threads. Cmon, there was a 80 page thread solely questioning why people don't have gaming pc's.

Yup, i'm well aware. There are Hermit's who posts these, just like there are Cows who claim PS3 games have superior graphics to PC games.

My point was, our current influx of Hermits is likely due to the anti-PC binge we just had.

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

PC gamers really need to get off the high horse. This industry wouldn't even be alive without consoles.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ProjectNatalFan

http://www.industrygamers.com/galleries/opinion-who-killed-pc-gaming/

something for pc gamers to chew on, they are not even close. This was also from a great source, not PCGA lol....

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ProjectNatalFan

PC gamers really need to get off the high horse. This industry wouldn't even be alive without consoles.

felipebo

so true.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4

they dont get much more support, they get overflooded with two genres RTS and MMO and everything else is console based, FPS, you tell me how many exclusives for the PC, Sports games? They are lucky to have NBA 2k11 otherwise they wouldnt have much, Fighting games? again maybe street fighter but other than that fighting games are more apt to come out on consoles. Racing games? Whats the last exclusive racing game?

ProjectNatalFan

Don't get much more support? They have more exclusives than all consoles combined, and are often supported by devs for years.

All systems have genre superiority, where they have more of one genre than others. PC also has Sims, Strategy (whole sub-genres as well), MMO, RPG, FPS etc. Saying a system only gets a certain array of genres doesn't mean anything, as consoles rarely get MMO's, RTS', Sims, Adventure games etc. It's the market which defines it, not the systems or dev support.

I'm not sure of the last racing exclusive.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="ProjectNatalFan"]

lundy86_4

Don't get much more support? They have more exclusives than all consoles combined, and are often supported by devs for years.

All systems have genre superiority, where they have more of one genre than others. PC also has Sims, Strategy (whole sub-genres as well), MMO, RPG, FPS etc. Saying a system only gets a certain array of genres doesn't mean anything, as consoles rarely get MMO's, RTS', Sims, Adventure games etc. It's the market which defines it, not the systems or dev support.

in your world you think the pC is doing good, in the real world, its a distant 4th compared to wii,360, and ps3.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I'm not sure why they couldn't just be added for the PC version and left off for the console version. Console owners would complain but they would have legitimate reasoning for it. This "if it can't be done on consoles, it won't be done" is a very poor mentality. Dirt 2, Batman and such did well on PC because they went that little extra mile for pc gamers, people appreciate that.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

I'm not sure why they couldn't just be added for the PC version and left off for the console version. Console owners would complain but they would have legitimate reasoning for it. This "if it can't be done on consoles, it would be done" is a very poor mentality. Dirt 2, Batman and such did well on PC because they went that little extra mile for pc gamers, people appreciate that.

Espada12

Exactly this. There's no reason why they couldn't do that. As you say, people appreciate it.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chaplainDMK

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

ProjectNatalFan

in your world you think the pC is doing good, in the real world, its a distant 4th compared to wii,360, and ps3.

Yeah, and pigs fly right? Wonder how you made that assumption.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Espada12

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

In the first Crysis you can only carry 2 weapons at once, i guess thats because of consoles...oh wait, it wasn't on consoles.

JONO51

huh? you can carry dual pistols+ 2 assault rifles/shotguns + missile launcher + granades at the same time.

It's easy to know the people who haven't played it.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deangallop

[QUOTE="JONO51"]

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

Espada12

huh? you can carry dual pistols+ 2 assault rifles/shotguns + missile launcher + granades at the same time.

Even if his statement is wrong his point still stands. Two weapons isn't a limitation, it's a design choice.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Snagal123

[QUOTE="JONO51"]

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

Espada12

Ive played it, 2 main weapons its not like HL2 or Bioshock where you can carry like 10. Its a stupid argument to say consoles are responsible for not carrying many weapons, games have been doing that for years and its not consoles fault.

This constant bashing of consoles is as bad as people bashing the PC. Good games are good games regardless of platform.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

chaplainDMK

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/49818-epic-blames-piracy-for-the-decline-of-pc-gaming

http://www.techspot.com/news/37632-retail-pc-games-sales-decline-23-percent-in-2009.html

sorry pigs dont fly, want more?

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

ProjectNatalFan

I lol'd.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6253286.html

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Espada12

Even if his statement is wrong his point still stands. Two weapons isn't a limitation, it's a design choice. deangallop

Cycling through weapons on a controller is probably the main reason for the two weapon limit.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

My point was, our current influx of Hermits is likely due to the anti-PC binge we just had. lundy86_4

Nah I'm pretty sure it's because of a certain game that floped very hard.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

felipebo

I don't believe you said that.Back when the console industry crashed, video games were still being made.I don't know why consoleheads seem to think that video games would die without them. Trust me they will continue to thrive well after all consoles die out.

You don't need dev kits to make games on a PC.

ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ProjectNatalFan

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

thespywholied

I lol'd.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6253286.html

pcga is as reputable as vgchartz

http://www.techspot.com/news/37632-retail-pc-games-sales-decline-23-percent-in-2009.html

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deangallop

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

Even if his statement is wrong his point still stands. Two weapons isn't a limitation, it's a design choice. Espada12

Cycling through weapons on a controller is probably the main reason for the two weapon limit.

Yet many games on the consoles allow you to hold more than 2 weapons, again it's a design choice. If they wanted the player to carry more than 2 weapons at a time they could've found a way like many other developers.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]My point was, our current influx of Hermits is likely due to the anti-PC binge we just had. Chrome-

Nah I'm pretty sure it's because of a certain game that floped very hard.

What game?
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Snagal123

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

Even if his statement is wrong his point still stands. Two weapons isn't a limitation, it's a design choice. Espada12

Or maybe because the game has a realistic tone to it carrying only 2 weapons makes more sense than carrying 10. The platform has nothing to do with it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4

ProjectNatalFan

Please discredit.

Gaming PCs outsell all consoles combined twice over

The PC Gaming Alliance has announced some of the results of a giant research project which claims that more gaming-capable PCs were sold in 2009 than all consoles on the market (not including handhelds).

Indeed, PCs outsold home consoles at a ratio larger than 2-to-1 last year, with revenues totaling $54.6 billion. That brings their total number to 212.6 million worldwide. PCGA expects those numbers to reach $61.3 billion and 322 million in the next 5 years. For comparison's sake, there are currently 73 million Wiis, 41.7 million Xbox 360s, and 36.3 million PlayStation 3s out there.

What is a gaming-capable PC? According to them, they're the ones with a discrete graphics card, i.e. not netbooks or others with integrated GPUs. Here's most of the press release:

SAN RAMON, Calif. – August 2, 2010 – The PC Gaming Alliance (PCGA), a nonprofit corporation dedicated to driving the worldwide growth of PC gaming, today unveiled its Horizons Hardware research report, an exclusive research study encompassing major aspects of the PC gaming hardware industry worldwide.

Among the key findings: Annual shipment volumes for the PC Gaming hardware market in 2009 were over two times larger than the combined Wii™, PlayStation® 2, PlayStation® 3 and Xbox 360® console units shipped in the same period. This trend for the PC Gaming hardware market to outpace all console shipments combined is expected to continue through the forecasted period of the research. In addition, revenues from consumer PCs capable of gaming that shipped with a discrete GPU (excludes Netbooks and integrated graphics-based PCs) totaled approximately $54.6 billion in 2009 and are forecasted to grow to $61.3 billion by 2014. These revenue figures are based on an estimated 61.5 million PCs (Desktop and Laptops) shipped in 2009 that can largely be associated with PC gaming as a key usage scenario.

The report also estimates the worldwide number of consumers gaming with discrete graphics solutions on their PCs (Desktop and Notebooks) to be 212.6 million for 2009 and expects this to grow to about 322 million by 2014. The report also includes detailed breakouts of various PC configurations (e.g. Basic, Mass Market, etc), by form factor and by geographic territory.

The Asia Pacific region continues to be the world's largest hardware gaming market with approximately 33% market share followed by Western Europe and the United States at 24% and 22% respectively. The rest of the world follows with 21.5%. Growth is expected to continue through 2014, largely driven by the Asia Pacific region.

"One of the biggest trends I'm seeing in the 2009 Horizon's hardware report indicates a strong demand for more capable mobile based systems by PC Gamers." said Matt Ployhar PCGA Research Committee Chairman. "PC Gamers are playing a central role in fueling healthier margins, and driving innovation in this space worldwide".

"PC gaming is the highest profile and most mature example of a new era of computing systems based on usage," said Richard Shim, research manager at IDC covering PCs. "These new usage-based systems are hardware configurations optimized for an improved user experience. Consumers are often willing to pay more for such an experience. In the case of gaming PCs, up to 25% more as compared to a mainstream system."

Microsoft to keep staggering PC and Xbox 360 releases

Microsoft Game Studios has said it will keep staggering PC and Xbox 360 releases so that desktop users have a reason to keep buying console titles.

Which is not to say the PC masterplan is any less important, argued MGS Europe business boss Peter Zetterberg - but given the platform choice in somewhere like Germany, then Xbox 360 sales would fall by the roadside.

"I would say that 90 per cent of the games that are pitched to us are on console. We're strongly perceived as a console publisher because we're the first-party publisher even though the Windows operating system is equally important to us," Zetterberg told GamesIndustry.biz.

"But in Germany for example, we want more gamers to buy our Xbox 360. If we launch a game that is on 360 and PC simultaneously, we basically shoot ourselves in the foot by allowing the German market to choose to play the PC version - because they are more likely to buy that than spend their money on the Xbox 360.

"If we launched a Halo game on PC and 360 in Germany simultaneously, 80 per cent of sales would be on the PC," he added.

Zetterberg also hinted that the future lies not just in projects with huge budgets, but in titles based around a free-to-play or browser-based model.

"We need to not only do the big budget, big production value, global titles like Gears of War, but we also need to go with titles like World of Goo or Crayon Physics. Those are games that are made with an almost anarchistic approach to a business model," said Zetterberg.

Devious742

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lundy86_4

ProjectNatalFan

Please discredit the points under Devious' PC Facts as it won't allow me to link.

If you can't, like you couldn't in the "Gaming from your couch" thread, then just don't bother.

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

heretrix

I don't believe you said that.Back when the console industry crashed, video games were still being made.I don't know why consoleheads seem to think that video games would die without them. Trust me they will continue to thrive well after all consoles die out.

Exactly.

'' Lololol PC gamers going on crusadez on SW rofl!!''

I wonder why. :roll:

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chaplainDMK

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"][QUOTE="ProjectNatalFan"]

ProjectNatalFan

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/49818-epic-blames-piracy-for-the-decline-of-pc-gaming

sorry pigs dont fly, want more?

Most PC gamers buy stuff trough Digital Distribution (mostly Steam) that isn't tracked by most, including NPD. And the piracy BS is BS, consoles can be pirated as well...
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

heretrix

Do you think gaming would have the level of quality it has today if Nintendo never released the NES?