Modern Warfare 2 flopping around on Steam

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

Steam Weekly Top Sellers
The top selling games on Steam by revenue for the week, updated every Sunday

#1 - Borderlands
Lock, Load, & Face the Madness Get ready for the mind blowing insanity! Play as one of four trigger-happy mercenaries and take out everything that stands in your way! With its addictive action, frantic first-person shooter combat, massive arsenal of weaponry, RPG elements and four-player co-op, Borderlands is a breakthrough experience that challenges all the conventions of modern shooters.

#2 - Left 4 Dead 2
Set in the zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) is the highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning Left 4 Dead, the #1 co-op game of 2008. This co-operative action horror FPS takes you and your friends through the cities, swamps and cemeteries of the Deep South, from Savannah to New Orleans across five expansive campaigns. You'll play as one of four new survivors armed with a wide and devastating array of ****c and upgraded weapons.

#3 - Torchlight
Behold Torchlight, a fresh new Action RPG franchise developed by Runic Games. Torchlight is being developed in Seattle by a veteran team composed of the designers and leads of projects like Diablo, Diablo II, Mythos, and Fate. Our team has spent many years honing and evolving this unique ****of gameplay. The adventure is set in the mining settlement of Torchlight, a boomtown founded on the discovery of rich veins of Ember - a rare and mysterious ore with the power to enchant or corrupt all that it contacts.

#4 - Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition
Pre-purchase Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition and receive the following: Steam Exclusive Item The Wicked Oath Countess Luciana of Antiva lived as a virtual prisoner in her husband's castle until an elven slave offered her a way out. The slave magically bound a small amount of the countess's blood into a ring in return for a promise of freedom. The countess agreed, and the count was found stabbed soon afterwards, this ring lying beside him. Neither Luciana nor the slave were seen again.

#5 - Football Manager™ 2010
Football Manager 2010 is the latest iteration of the world's best selling football management simulation series. Developed by multi award-winning studio Sports Interactive, Football Manager™ 2010 is slated to release on October 30th, 2009. Polish — Making the game faster, more immersive, more realistic and easier to play with better in game feedback and more advice. Improved Match Engine — Improved AI, over 100 new animations in 3D mode, better lighting, improved pitch degradation, stadiums and crowds.

#6 - Killing Floor
Killing Floor is a Co-op Survival Horror FPS set in the devastated cities and countryside of England after a series of cloning experiments for the military goes horribly wrong. You and your friends are members of the military dropped into these locations with a simple mission: Survive long enough to cleanse the area of the failed experiments!

#7 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
The most-anticipated game of the year and the sequel to the best-selling first-person action game of all time, Modern Warfare 2 continues the gripping and heart-racing action as players face off against a new threat dedicated to bringing the world to the brink of collapse. Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 2 features for the first time in video games, the musical soundtrack of legendary Academy Award®, Golden Globe® Award, Grammy® Award and Tony winning composer Hans Zimmer.

#8 - Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare™
The new action-thriller from the award-winning team at Infinity Ward, the creators of the Call of Duty® series, delivers the most intense and cinematic action experience ever. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare arms gamers with an arsenal of advanced and powerful modern day firepower and transports them to the most treacherous hotspots around the globe to take on a rogue enemy group threatening the world. As both a U.S Marine and British S.A.S.

#9 - Dragon Age: Origins
Pre-Purchase Dragon Age: Origins and receive the following: Steam Exclusive Item The Wicked Oath Countess Luciana of Antiva lived as a virtual prisoner in her husband's castle until an elven slave offered her a way out. The slave magically bound a small amount of the countess's blood into a ring in return for a promise of freedom. The countess agreed, and the count was found stabbed soon afterwards, this ring lying beside him. Neither Luciana nor the slave were seen again.

#10 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
In 1986, the world's worst nuclear disaster occurred at the Chernobyl power station. Soviet authorities established a 30km 'Exclusion Zone' around this nuclear wasteland, but in 2006 a second explosion rocked the stricken reactor, obliterating all living things and causing the Zone's boundaries to ripple outwards. From this epicenter came waves of mutated creatures, deadly radiation, and a strange, anomalous energy. The Zone was cordoned off by the military, who would shoot on sight anyone foolish enough to brave the horrors within.

--------
The important thing to note here is that this is based on revenue. As in the game by an indie developer with its roots in the mod community, which gave stuff away for free, just made more money than, and outsold by about 400%, "the most-anticipated game of the year and the sequel to the best-selling first-person action game of all time", for a full week.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
glad to see torchlight doing so well and lol a cod:mw2! Killing floor is not even on sale and is selling more than it.
Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

Hmm PC gamers weren't joking.

Zerkrender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Zerkrender
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
I'm so happy right now. :) I hope things like this continue.
OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

ROFL! Below Killing Floor! That is sad.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Console_Gamer93

They sure werent :shock:

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

It'll rise just before and after the release surely...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

It's a real shame. This game could have been fantastic on multiplayer.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

IgGy621985

Maybe, but I doubt it. Infinity Ward pissed off a good portion of the PC community, and it's not like there's a shortage of good PC shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Well for 90bucks on steam I'm not surprised. Not often when I can find a store copy of a game cheaper than the steam version.

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

IgGy621985

Yes this

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#12 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
Ouch. I'm impressed Stalker's still moving so many copies, or was this only b/c of that $5 deal they had?
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
I don't see how it's flopping when it's on the top 10.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IgGy621985

Maybe, but I doubt it. Infinity Ward pissed off a good portion of the PC community, and it's not like there's a shortage of good PC shooters.

DarkLink77

Nah. 95% of those people who signed the petition will buy it (or pirate it).

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

It's a real shame. This game could have been fantastic on multiplayer.

lundy86_4
Gotta love Activision. (in b4 "It's IW's game") They are owned by Activision.
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

Well for 90bucks on steam I'm not surprised. Not often when I can find a store copy of a game cheaper than the steam version.

October_Tide

:shock: $90!

-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

vaderhater

:shock: $90!

Some countries are getting shafted, yeah. But it's $59.99 in NA. Still, I'm glad to see it flopping. It's the same thing as the original without the dedicated servers or mod support.

xkojimax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xkojimax
Member since 2006 • 1082 Posts
it'll shoot to the top.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 InsaneBasura

IgGy621985

I'm as cynical as anyone else out there and expected MW2 to top every sales chart everywhere, but look what happened. I'd say it's within the realms of possibility that it'll remain in the lower half of the Steam chart.

The rather big question of how it'll do in retail remains of course... As has been mentioned, in Europe and Australia it is quite a bit cheaper in stores. Either way, that it's performing badly can only be a good thing.

Ouch. I'm impressed Stalker's still moving so many copies, or was this only b/c of that $5 deal they had?masterpinky2000

Yes.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

IgGy621985

People do seem to **** and moan about things a lot and buy them anyway. But I think most people who want it on PC will pirate it. I wouldn't pay $60 for it on the PC.

xkojimax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xkojimax

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

People do seem to **** and moan about things a lot and buy them anyway. But I think most people who want it on PC will pirate it. I wouldn't pay $60 for it on the PC.

oh no! $10 more for the biggest game of the year! oh no its just too much!!111one
Wii_Gamer_277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wii_Gamer_277
Member since 2009 • 1795 Posts
Ouch :lol: Looks like No dedicated serves = No buy from hermits :) Now only if lemmings and cow's would follow suite :(
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 InsaneBasura
I don't see how it's flopping when it's on the top 10.dont-read-this
Blah bla blah... You know what I mean.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Console_Gamer93
If you played CoD4 on PC, servers would be the #1 thing you would love about it.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts
It's doing even worse here in Australia. I'm guessing this is a worldwide trend? 1. Borderlands 2. Left4Dead2 3. Football Manager 2010 4. Dragon Age DDE 5. Torchlight 6. COD4 7. Dragon Age 8. TF2 9. MW2 10. FIFA Manager 10
Wii_Gamer_277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wii_Gamer_277
Member since 2009 • 1795 Posts
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]It's doing even worse here in Australia. I'm guessing this is a worldwide trend? 1. Borderlands 2. Left4Dead2 3. Football Manager 2010 4. Dragon Age DDE 5. Torchlight 6. COD4 7. Dragon Age 8. TF2 9. MW2 10. FIFA Manager 10

Well its to be expected since it was BANNED there earlier this week :?
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts
[QUOTE="Wii_Gamer_277"]Ouch :lol: Looks like No dedicated serves = No buy from hermits :) Now only if lemmings and cow's would follow suite :(

lemmings and cows are used to the lack of features though.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

xkojimax

oh no! $10 more for the biggest game of the year! oh no its just too much!!111one

There's no way in hell I'd pay $10 more to have features taken away from me, I don't care how good the damn game is. It's especially insulting to PC gamers because Call of Duty got it's start on the PC.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

You do know that if you do pirate it Multiplayer wont work right? :| Stop listening to the Kamchi BS
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]It's doing even worse here in Australia. I'm guessing this is a worldwide trend? 1. Borderlands 2. Left4Dead2 3. Football Manager 2010 4. Dragon Age DDE 5. Torchlight 6. COD4 7. Dragon Age 8. TF2 9. MW2 10. FIFA Manager 10Wii_Gamer_277
Well its to be expected since it was BANNED there earlier this week :?

Um no it wasn't.

xkojimax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xkojimax

[QUOTE="xkojimax"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

There's no way in hell I'd pay $10 more to have features taken away from me, I don't care how good the damn game is. It's especially insulting to PC gamers because Call of Duty got it's start on the PC.

that's cool man. to each their own. you can save your $10 and i'll enjoy playing MW2.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrLions
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

xkojimax

You know thats not why we're mad and not buying it right? We could care less about $60 it's the stuff they're taking away from us on the PC version.
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
I'm glad that people are sticking to their word, I was certain it would be on top by now. Still, it's only Steam, I think on average people who actively use it are a bit more informed than those who buy their games through retail, so I wouldn't expect all stores to echo this result.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IgGy621985

I'm as cynical as anyone else out there and expected MW2 to top every sales chart everywhere, but look what happened. I'd say it's within the realms of possibility that it'll remain in the lower half of the Steam chart.

InsaneBasura

PC gamers aren't that trigger happy when pre-orders are available, so many, including me are waiting for some confirmation of quality, usually in form of a review and/or other people's (users') opinion.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Planeforger

that's cool man. to each their own. you can save your $10 and i'll enjoy playing MW2.xkojimax

I think he wins. :P

Well its to be expected since it was BANNED there earlier this week :?Wii_Gamer_277

No it wasn't. The poor sales are actually a combination of the fact that it's *double* the price of every other new release game on Steam, and the lack of PC support.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

MrLions

You do know that if you do pirate it Multiplayer wont work right? :| Stop listening to the Kamchi BS

I don't want it, nor would I pirate it. I'm sure someone could figure out how to do multiplayer with a pirated copy though.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 supa_badman
[QUOTE="MrLions"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

It does. You'd have to go to different types of servers though.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrLions

[QUOTE="MrLions"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

I don't want it, nor would I pirate it. I'm sure someone could figure out how to do multiplayer with a pirated copy though.

People do but I doubt they last a week or two. :|
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrLions

It does. You'd have to go to different types of servers though.supa_badman
Like i said even then you won't last that long.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

xkojimax

Joking. Must be. They're literally charging more for less. Attempting to mock people for reacting to this negatively is so bizarrely insane it's not even funny.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 supa_badman

[QUOTE="supa_badman"] It does. You'd have to go to different types of servers though.MrLions

Like i said even then you won't last that long.

What do you mean? As in, it will be terminated within a couple of weeks? No, its there as long as you want it.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]It's doing even worse here in Australia. I'm guessing this is a worldwide trend? 1. Borderlands 2. Left4Dead2 3. Football Manager 2010 4. Dragon Age DDE 5. Torchlight 6. COD4 7. Dragon Age 8. TF2 9. MW2 10. FIFA Manager 10

Are those the weekly sales? And how are the regions split up? US, UK; AUS ???? Or is the weekly chart global maybe? Because there's nothing regiony in the url.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="xkojimax"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

InsaneBasura

Joking. Must be. They're literally charging more for less. Attempting to mock people for reacting to this negatively is so bizarrely insane it's not even funny.

Let him prove his ignorance.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

My region it's

1. Borderlands

2. L4D 2

3. Football Manager 2010

4. Dragon Age: Deluxe Edition

5. Torchlight

6. Cod4 (sale going on)

7. Dragon Age

8. TF2

9. Cod:MW2

10. Fifa Manager 10.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Planeforger

Are those the weekly sales? And how are the regions split up? US, UK; AUS ???? Or is the weekly chart global maybe? Because there's nothing regiony in the url.InsaneBasura

I'm pretty sure each region has their own charts, with Australia possibly having their own unique one. I just copied that off my Steam store page, though.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IgGy621985

People, game isn't out yet. It just may be really great on PC.

I'll wait for my friends' opinion, then I'll buy it.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

IgGy621985

That's when the majority of game sales are, but the funny thing is games like dragon age and borderlands have been at the top of the chart since they appeared on steam.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkLink77

My region it's

1. Borderlands

2. L4D 2

3. Football Manager 2010

4. Dragon Age: Deluxe Edition

5. Torchlight

6. Cod4 (sale going on)

7. Dragon Age

8. TF2

9. Cod:MW2

10. Fifa Manager 10.

Espada12
Unfortunately, none of that matters. This game will ship over 10 million on consoles alone, and Activision will be rolling in money.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 IgGy621985

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

Espada12

That's when the majority of game sales are, but the funny thing is games like dragon age and borderlands have been at the top of the chart since they appeared on steam.

Well, depends. At my region, Borderlands has just recently risen on top of the charts, while Dragon Age Deluxe Edition is on the fourth spot, while Dragon Age Standard Edition is on the seventh spot.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I'm surprised a Football Manager game is doing so well, I never knew they were that popular. Any-who this doesn't matter, console players will still buy the game by the millions and Activision will continue to test deeper waters.