Mod Nation Racers gets 7.9 at GameTrailers (link)

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#51 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Did GT seriouly rate the story and music of a Kart racer?

reallly?!!

Zaibach

It has a story, so that story is fair game to be rated at a website in which "story" is a natural part of the grading scale.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

reallly?!!

Zaibach

Gametrailers favorite review of mine was Banjo Kazzoie nuts and bolts. This game is bad because it doesn't play similar to the other banjo games. How does that make the game quality any different. I hated the controls (that is what made it suck) but a 5 minute whine about the game not playing like the original 2 is just idiotic.

Gametrailers with IGN are on a dumb scale that no other site has reached yet. My favorite is Geoff Keighley "Is this in the game?" and the developers always respond "you just have to wait and see". Thank you for your hardball journalism and me never knowing anything about the game afterwards.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 GreySeal9

^GT can be pretty dopey sometimes, but I love the way their video reviews are laid out. They are so thorough.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

reallly?!!

GreySeal9

It has a story, so that story is fair game to be rated at a website in which "story" is a natural part of the grading scale.

I just find it auspicious, that a kart game is being judged f0r its story, are any other sites doing it like this?

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

The customization alone makes me want this game.

btw, not controlling the SAME as mario kart =/= bad. I hate when a game just gets straight up compared and not judged based on what it is. The contols are fine. Its easy to be decent at the game but very competitive when it comes to getting that number 1 spot.

also. 1 minute online race loadtimes < 3 minute (at least) wait for a matchmaking game in halo 3

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

reallly?!!

Zaibach

I just find it auspicious, that a kart game is being judged f0r its story, are any other sites doing it like this?

From what I understand, Modnation Racers takes story much farther than most kart games. I mean, Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing doesn't even have a story whatsoever and I don't think Mario Kart does (though I might be wrong on that).

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

reallly?!!

nhh18

Gametrailers favorite review of mine was Banjo Kazzoie nuts and bolts. This game is bad because it doesn't play similar to the other banjo games. How does that make the game quality any different. I hated the controls (that is what made it suck) but a 5 minute whine about the game not playing like the original 2 is just idiotic.

Gametrailers with IGN are on a dumb scale that no other site has reached yet. My favorite is Geoff Keighley "Is this in the game?" and the developers always respond "you just have to wait and see". Thank you for your hardball journalism and me never knowing anything about the game afterwards.

its the same with almost all thier reviews, I think when it comes to scores they just wing it, but i bet greyseal is going to disagree

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

reallly?!!

Zaibach

its the same with almost all thier reviews, I think when it comes to scores they just wing it, but i bet greyseal is going to disagree

Well, I doubt they wing it. Their reviews are too thorough for that to be the case. I just think that their logic is kind of dopey sometimes.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]

[QUOTE="Squall18"]

Link

Hmmm, I'll probably wait for Alan WAke and 3d dot heroes...I'm skeptical

Santesyu

why? it got a 9 at IGN.

and if it scores a 9.0 here at gamespot is gamespot trigger happy aswell?

No, what on earth does GS have anything to do with this?
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

From what I understand, Modnation Racers takes story much farther than most kart games. I mean, Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing doesn't even have a story whatsoever and I don't think Mario Kart does (though I might be wrong on that).

if that is the case, and I doubt it is , then shouldnt it be rewarded rather than punished.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]I just find it auspicious, that a kart game is being judged f0r its story, are any other sites doing it like this?

Zaibach

if that is the case, and I doubt it is , then shouldnt it be rewarded rather than punished.

I would certainly reward it for that. That they put so much effort into the story sounds intriguing, But I think GT just slapped a score on the story TBH. Out of interest, what score did the story get?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#62 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
The actual racing looks pretty annoying. I don't think this would be on my must have list.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I would certainly reward it for that. That they put so much effort into the story sounds intriguing, But I think GT just slapped a score on the story TBH. Out of interest, what score did the story get?

7.1 or some such

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]if that is the case, and I doubt it is , then shouldnt it be rewarded rather than punished.

Zaibach

7.1 or some such

Not a bad score, but I think that they should probably give the story maximum leeway. Judging the story on its own is fine, but if they are comparing the story to the stories of other types of games and coming up with the verdict that it's "average" in comparison, that's pretty dumb.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

7.1 or some such

Not a bad score, but I think that they should probably give the story maximum leeway. Judging the story on its own is fine, but if they are comparing the story to the stories of other types of games and coming up with the verdict that it's "average" in comparison, that's pretty dumb.

I concur

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

Here we have again Gametrailers complaining about lack of originality in games that are not FPS's. :roll:

Im sorry but after the crapfest awards last year in GT its really really hard to takethier opinions seriously.The review just said it had a learning curve and it lacked life to them. Yet Iv heard the exact oppisote from ign. I sense mixed reviews.

But you'll give credit to IGN "we'll give AAA to any game that give us an exclusive review or is hyped"?
Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#67 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

I'm pretty sure Alan Wake got a 9

I think Mod Nations got an 8.5

maybe I'm wrong tho

Squall18
it was the same score. Both got 9.0 :P
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#68 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I didn't see that score coming but I will still get it and judge it by myself.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50617 Posts

Link

Squall18
Or you could get all three (and SMG2 and RDR) like me!!
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#70 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Looks a lot better than this review. He had an overall negative tone; he didnt have much enthusiasm for the creation part - madness!
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#71 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

reallly?!!

Zaibach

It can rate its story in the "story" rating category, but odds are it barely got factored in much into the final score. The final score isn't an average of all 4 of the categories it gives scores for.
sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 sayonara89
Member since 2009 • 1985 Posts
I think it will score 8.0 here.
richsena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 richsena
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

What excites me about this game is the track editor. I like how the developers made it much like a game intself with the player choosing how in depth they would like to go. Depending on how the sales go, I could see this online community exploding to the impressive scale we see with Little Big Planet.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#74 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Making tracks looks like it could be addictive and the racing looks like some good fun, but I still am just not interested. Just got Forza III and that is all the racing I need. Not a huge racing game fan as it is. Be it kart or sim.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

Here we have again Gametrailers complaining about lack of originality in games that are not FPS's. :roll:

Im sorry but after the crapfest awards last year in GT its really really hard to takethier opinions seriously.The review just said it had a learning curve and it lacked life to them. Yet Iv heard the exact oppisote from ign. I sense mixed reviews.

But you'll give credit to IGN "we'll give AAA to any game that give us an exclusive review or is hyped"?

Exactly, it's best ot just ignore both of them. GT will go from worshiping a game as if it were God's second child, and then go on to decry it as one of the mist disappointing titles of the generation (ala RE5). And IGN...well, IGN is just a farce now. As someone here brilliantly said; "IGN operates on a ten-point scale. 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 etc.",
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="JAB991"]

Is the hype AA or AAA?

MizFitAwesome

It's AAA until the actual score comes out and then every cow will claim its AA. Just like every PS3 flop...

Its AA. There hasnt been a thread that shows it at AAA
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

Gametrailers is full of 360 fanboys. Watch the WarioWare D.I.Y review. I go there for videos, not reviews.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
[QUOTE="JAB991"][QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]

[QUOTE="Squall18"]

why? it got a 9 at IGN.

IGN is trigger-happy with their AAA scores, now aren't they?

well AW got 9.0 from them.......is that trigger-happy?
what is the hype for this game? AAA?forza420
I've seen anywhere from A-AA......it definetly wasn't AAA. Heck a lot of cows forgot about this game when it was announced last E3.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#80 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
The actual racing looks pretty annoying. I don't think this would be on my must have list.musicalmac
I like the track editor, it looks like you'd have room to make some really great and fun looking tracks, but I don't know how limited that could be either... I hear there's no battle modes, and I wonder if you can make loop-de-loops to ramp jumps, to tunnel zones, to another ramp jump, to crazy hairpin turns, and etc... :P I've not seen anything aside from just editing the road, so I don't know how deep this can be, especially if you cannot modify the game for something like battle, or other than racing.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#81 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts
Darn it. I wanted this game to be awesome. But I guess Trackmania will have to do. I can't believe they never fixed that framerate.
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#82 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
The reviewer sounded very "whatever" And LOL@no variety and charm. You gotta be kidding
SolidSiems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SolidSiems
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts

LameTrailers...

Worst REVIEW site ever.

Seriously I almost never agree with their review scores.

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"]Darn it. I wanted this game to be awesome. But I guess Trackmania will have to do. I can't believe they never fixed that framerate.

They did fix the frame rate issue. This is exactly the problem with people only looking at one review. I think the general consensus is that the game is awesome and the main complaints are its loading times. Also, I love how reviewers keep on showing their lack of gaming knowledge as they keep comparing it to Mario Kart Wii and LBP, when it plays more like Diddy Kong Racing.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I'm not even hyped for this game, but I watched Modnations and Killzone 2's reviews side by side, and found something very interesting. They bash Modnations for having "loose" controls and difficult handling, making it difficult for a newbie to play. Then in the Killzone 2 review, they say that the controls are difficult and sloppy at first but you'll get used to them after a few hours and it's no longer a problem (note that KZ2 is well known for being the hardest to control FPS this decade).
mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mD-

I'm not even hyped for this game, but I watched Modnations and Killzone 2's reviews side by side, and found something very interesting. They bash Modnations for having "loose" controls and difficult handling, making it difficult for a newbie to play. Then in the Killzone 2 review, they say that the controls are difficult and sloppy at first but you'll get used to them after a few hours and it's no longer a problem (note that KZ2 is well known for being the hardest to control FPS this decade). KHAndAnime

Gametrailer's is very inconsistent with their reviews. Also, I noticed how they mentioned NOTHING about the the load times, which is a legitimate complaint. Instead the mention how the game looks generic, the gameplay takes time to master (NOT A CON, SERIOUSLY GT, WTF..), and that the career mode can be very tough. I mean really GT? The reviewer didn't even sound intrigued about the customization available at all and didn't mention all of the online components that I saw in the other reviews like the IGN ones. So maybe people should not be so close minded and recognize that not every review than IGN is terrible...

Anyways, I'm surprised that MK Wii was able to nab a 8.4 from GT while MNR only gets a 7.9. Terrible review and inappropriate/unjustified score (based on the content of the review itself, watch the review to see what I mean..)

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mD-

Also, apparently the story wasn't up to par with most kart racers (LOL..). I guess GT expects Uncharted 2 level stroytelling next time. FIX THAT UNITED FRONT, AND DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME SO CHALLENGING, ****IT!

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I'm not even hyped for this game, but I watched Modnations and Killzone 2's reviews side by side, and found something very interesting. They bash Modnations for having "loose" controls and difficult handling, making it difficult for a newbie to play. Then in the Killzone 2 review, they say that the controls are difficult and sloppy at first but you'll get used to them after a few hours and it's no longer a problem (note that KZ2 is well known for being the hardest to control FPS this decade). mD-

Gametrailer's is very inconsistent with their reviews. Also, I noticed how they mentioned NOTHING about the the load times, which is a legitimate complaint. Instead the mention how the game looks generic, the gameplay takes time to master (NOT A CON, SERIOUSLY GT, WTF..), and that the career mode can be very tough. I mean really GT? The reviewer didn't even sound intrigued about the customization available at all and didn't mention all of the online components that I saw in the other reviews like the IGN ones. So maybe people should not be so close minded and recognize that not every review than IGN is terrible...

Anyways, I'm surprised that MK Wii was able to nab a 8.4 from GT while MNR only gets a 7.9. Terrible review and inappropriate/unjustified score (based on the content of the review itself, watch the review to see what I mean..)

Very very true. God this is why gt reivews mean jack to me. The only problems I heard was the load and thats about it. THe look of the game is more subjective. One might think it look geniric while another would think it looks great.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Willy105
Gametrailers is one of the best review sites out there. Stand down before you go in some crazy direction. If anyone, GT is the one to trust. I am not crazy about the score, but the last time that happened, they were dead right (Zelda: Phantom Hourglass).
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Willy105"]Gametrailers is one of the best review sites out there. Stand down before you go in some crazy direction. If anyone, GT is the one to trust. I am not crazy about the score, but the last time that happened, they were dead right (Zelda: Phantom Hourglass).

How can we 'trust' GT after that farce of a GOTY show they had? :?
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

[QUOTE="JAB991"][QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]

[QUOTE="Squall18"]

Link

Santesyu

why? it got a 9 at IGN.

and if it scores a 9.0 here at gamespot is gamespot trigger happy aswell?

no but I will begin to question there sanity, seeing as they gave ALan Wake and Heavy rain, 2 amazing games 8.5's and 3D dot game heroes which the reviewer(TOm McShea)said in the hotspotpodcast he loved it and thought it was a cIassic

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mD-

Gametrailers is one of the best review sites out there. Stand down before you go in some crazy direction. If anyone, GT is the one to trust. I am not crazy about the score, but the last time that happened, they were dead right (Zelda: Phantom Hourglass).Willy105
T

hey are inconsistent especially when it comes to talking about originality in games and bringing new things to the table (which for example, they knocked Uncharted 2 for, but did not mention one would about in MW2). They are definitely not the amongst the best. I want you to compare reviews from other sites to this review and see the differences. Also, they have a bad habit of filling their review with tons of spoilers.

They just contradict themselves so much it's not even funny.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Willy105

[QUOTE="Willy105"]Gametrailers is one of the best review sites out there. Stand down before you go in some crazy direction. If anyone, GT is the one to trust. I am not crazy about the score, but the last time that happened, they were dead right (Zelda: Phantom Hourglass).Verge_6

Gamespot also had a bad GOTY as well. Big deal. Besides, the only source you guys should be trusting is System Wars Monthly.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Willy105"]Gametrailers is one of the best review sites out there. Stand down before you go in some crazy direction. If anyone, GT is the one to trust. I am not crazy about the score, but the last time that happened, they were dead right (Zelda: Phantom Hourglass).Willy105

Gamespot also had a bad GOTY as well. Big deal. Besides, the only source you guys should be trusting is System Wars Monthly.

At least GS didn't give a bunch of awards all to one game.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Willy105"]Gametrailers is one of the best review sites out there. Stand down before you go in some crazy direction. If anyone, GT is the one to trust. I am not crazy about the score, but the last time that happened, they were dead right (Zelda: Phantom Hourglass).Willy105

that and Giantbomb, I cant knock those guys they post some of the greatest reviews (especially there vidoe reviews) I see around the web tbh, the only downside to there reviews is there reallly simple scoring system.

but yea, you guys>all other sources.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I like GT reviews. I'm pretty sure there's a group of people that review the games but it's always that one guy that speaks in the video reviews. I wonder if that one guy does all the reviews though.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Verge_6

No. GS's GOTY awards compilation was bad, but GT's was literally an insult to gamers everywhere. :|

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I'm not even hyped for this game, but I watched Modnations and Killzone 2's reviews side by side, and found something very interesting. They bash Modnations for having "loose" controls and difficult handling, making it difficult for a newbie to play. Then in the Killzone 2 review, they say that the controls are difficult and sloppy at first but you'll get used to them after a few hours and it's no longer a problem (note that KZ2 is well known for being the hardest to control FPS this decade). mD-

It really sounds to me that you're just mad that MNR got outscored by MK Wii because the review score was contrary to your "gamer sense" so to say.

Maybe the review wasn't their best work, but I think you are oversimplifying it in SW fashion.

The score fits the review perfectly. They seemed to think it was a good but rather average game. 7.9 reflects that just fine.

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mD-

[QUOTE="mD-"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I'm not even hyped for this game, but I watched Modnations and Killzone 2's reviews side by side, and found something very interesting. They bash Modnations for having "loose" controls and difficult handling, making it difficult for a newbie to play. Then in the Killzone 2 review, they say that the controls are difficult and sloppy at first but you'll get used to them after a few hours and it's no longer a problem (note that KZ2 is well known for being the hardest to control FPS this decade). GreySeal9

It really sounds to me that you're just mad that MNR got outscored by MK Wii because the review score was contrary to your "gamer sense" so to say.

Maybe the review wasn't their best work, but I think you are oversimplifying it in SW fashion.

The score fits the review perfectly. They seemed to think it was a good but rather average game. 7.9 reflects that just fine.

Well, this isn't about the review score that I think it should get based on everything we know about the game.

1) The score itself literally doesn't match the content of the review.

2) The cons can be seen as not really being cons..

This really was a poor review lol.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="mD-"]

mD-

Well, this isn't about the review score that I think it should get based on everything we know about the game.

1) The score itself literally doesn't match the content of the review.

2) The cons can be seen as not really being cons..

This really was a poor review lol.

Good. Because unless you've played the game, you're not qualified to say what it should get. However, the "if Mario Kart was able to get 8.4..." comment makes it seem like your beef was with MK outscoring MNR.

1) Please explain why the score doesn't match the content of the review. He seemed to think it was a good game but pretty average. 7.9 is a good but average score.

2) Give me an example with the exact words of the review. I find your paraphrasing to be...well, short of satisfactory.

Like I said, not the greatest review, but it is not even close to as bad as you are making it sound.