Microsoft will find it hard surpassing the original Xbox Sales

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Just like last Gen Microsoft is dead in Japan,doing ok in Europe and doing great in America, but also like last gen Microsoft can't fix the problem which makes the 360 only appeal to the hardcore. Seriously the only thing Microsoft did well this gen is launching early to avoid getting crushed by Sony and Nintendo but otherwise they are following the same path they did last gen.

I'm not saying that 360 doesn't have any other kind of games besides shooters but it should be pretty obvious that shooters is where 360's strength is, Microsoft just doesn't have the diversity of games that Nintendo and Sony have. Last year they kept going on about GeOW and this year they will do the same but with Halo 3.

Peter Moore should be worried because 360 is becoming just like the Xbox, a console for the hardcore audience. I honestly can't see 360 getting past 28 million sold by the end of this gen and this is gonna become painfully obvious by the middle of this gen.

Nintendo has that innovation thing down but Sony will soon have the HD gaming down before too long. Infact I have heard (OPM) that the cost of blue ray or something has decreased so Sony shoud be able to decrease the price of PS3 in Europe by £100, I actually expect that PS3 will have a price cut this fall worldwide (a major price cut) and add the amazing games which will come out and Sony has got the Christmas sales.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Just like last Gen Microsoft is dead in Japan,doing ok in Europe and doing great in America, but also like last gen Microsoft can't fix the problem which makes the 360 only appeal to the hardcore. Seriously the only thing Microsoft did well this gen is launching early to avoid getting crushed by Sony and Nintendo but otherwise they are following the same path they did last gen.

I'm not saying that 360 doesn't have any other kind of games besides shooters but it should be pretty obvious that shooters is where 360's strength is, Microsoft just doesn't have the diversity of games that Nintendo and Sony have. Last year they kept going on about GeOW and this year they will do the same but with Halo 3.

Peter Moore should be worried because 360 is becoming just like the Xbox, a console for the hardcore audience. I honestly can't see 360 getting past 28 million sold by the end of this gen and this is gonna become painfully obvious by the middle of this gen.

Nintendo has that innovation thing down but Sony will soon have the HD gaming down before too long. Infact I have heard (OPM) that the cost of blue ray or something has decreased so Sony shoud be able to decrease the price of PS3 in Europe by £100, I actually expect that PS3 will have a price cut this fall worldwide (a major price cut) and add the amazing games which will come out and Sony has got the Christmas sales.

Swift_Boss_A

360 appeals to the hard core and you can still sit there and say that when the xbox360 AT this moment is selling more then ps3's. I heard a few weeks ago that ps3 sold 80k and 360 sold 170k so wheres your argument there??? If the xbox360 core dropped 100$ the sales would go even faster. Dropping ps3 100 bucks is going to do nothing becuase nobody wants to pay for a 500$ console and you know whats worse??? The U.S like to think sales only matter in there country when up here in canada the ps3 is 750$ and in Australia its even more money.

Stop kidding youself.....

monkeymonfp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 monkeymonfp
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

lol xbox finally has a real fan base

sony have gone all out to try and produce counters to 360's shooter

marketplace is owning

video servive hopefully will spread into europe

overall standings and approaching games show for healthy growth

i cant really see how thing will go wrong for the 360 in the long run unless the wii become the next must have thing which i cant see happening

Medjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Medjai
Member since 2003 • 3839 Posts
I didn't read your whole post but I am pretty sure the 360 will outsell Xbox1...Xbox1 didn't have a very good start
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

If MS can fix their hardware before the 4th qtr they have a chance. I personally think the hardware is getting a lot of bad press and those who are not the superhardcore will not want to pay $400 for a machine that will possibly break in a year.

There software is much better this time around than the original Xbox. A lot of exclusives that made PS2 the "King" is multiplat with X360 now. You may be correct and it could be the same as the last Xbox but if the developers have faith in X360 (why else multiplat their games), so will I.......that is when X360 fixes their dam hardware.

Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts
But the X360 is doing fine considering it's price and the fact that it doesn't have it's Halo and GTA yet. And IMO, Sony won't be able to compete ..No one in his right mind would buy a Madden or GTA for the PS3 when he can get it for $300 less on the X360.
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Socrates88
Member since 2007 • 1655 Posts
Only time will tell. Xbox360 is a niche market.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Swift_Boss_A

But the X360 is doing fine considering it's price and the fact that it doesn't have it's Halo and GTA yet. And IMO, Sony won't be able to compete ..No one in his right mind would buy a Madden or GTA for the PS3 when he can get it for $300 less on the X360. Nex_Ownage

I guarantee there will be a price drop this fall, I read in it in (UK) OPM magazine that the cost of blue-ray has decreased so Sony could cut the price of PS3 by up to $100 worldwide. Oh I also belive people would rather play the superior version of GTA, you know the PS3 version. I hate GTA so I wont be buying it but MGS4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet & Clank Future is another story.

Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts

[QUOTE="Nex_Ownage"]But the X360 is doing fine considering it's price and the fact that it doesn't have it's Halo and GTA yet. And IMO, Sony won't be able to compete ..No one in his right mind would buy a Madden or GTA for the PS3 when he can get it for $300 less on the X360. Swift_Boss_A

I guarantee there will be a price drop this fall, I read in it in (UK) OPM magazine that the cost of blue-ray has decreased so Sony could cut the price of PS3 by up to $100 worldwide. Oh I also belive people would rather play the superior version of GTA, you know the PS3 version. I hate GTA so I wont be buying it but MGS4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet & Clank Future is another story.

Even if the development costs did go down, Sony would be more intrested in making a profit than dropping the price. I don't they think they would wanna show up in next year fiscal meeting with another 2 billion loss.

And while they games you listed do look nice, I don't think any 'em are system sellers except for MGS4, which will most likely be out next year.

toastedfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 toastedfridge
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts

wtf are u talking about noob? they are already halfway there after only a year and a half, man, the cows need to wake up and recognize that it's time to have a taste of what it's like to look up at the competion, and get over it.SegArgyle

Saying it like it is.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Swift_Boss_A

wtf are u talking about noob? they are already halfway there after only a year and a half, man, the cows need to wake up and recognize that it's time to have a taste of what it's like to look up at the competion, and get over it.SegArgyle
lol I really got to someone, ok dude go outside a breath some freah air and remember PS3 WILL PWN 360 !

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
They are half way there in like one and a half years. When Halo launches what is stopping them?
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#15 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

Yellow_Rose

Are you really stupid enough to think that if Sony drops the price of the PS3 that MS won't counter with a 360 price drop of their own?

Hell, I think MS will drip the price of the 360 this year whether Sony drops their price or not.

And if the PS3 version of GTA4 is the superior version, then explain why the trailer (the one that literally brought the internet to a grinding halt), all the screenshots Rockstar is showing, and the hands-on walkthroughs are all from the 360 version of the game.

I have nothing to contribute other than your videos in your sig are frickin hilarious! (And true).

FreedomReign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FreedomReign
Member since 2006 • 1178 Posts
At $100 MS can sell 70 million + consoles worldwide. So can Sony, and so can Nintendo. That's without Japan. MS should be looking to a price drop. So should Sony.The best way to sell consoles is to make them affordable. Especially in PAL territories.
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts

If MS can fix their hardware before the 4th qtr they have a chance. I personally think the hardware is getting a lot of bad press and those who are not the superhardcore will not want to pay $400 for a machine that will possibly break in a year.

There software is much better this time around than the original Xbox. A lot of exclusives that made PS2 the "King" is multiplat with X360 now. You may be correct and it could be the same as the last Xbox but if the developers have faith in X360 (why else multiplat their games), so will I.......that is when X360 fixes their dam hardware.

darthogre

60NM CPU will fix Yes No :?

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#18 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
Already half way there at 1.5yrs.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

10 million 360's sold in just 14-15 months.

24 million Xbox's sold in 48 months.

They have 33 more months to sell 14 million more consoles.

At the rate the 360 is selling now they will reach 30 million in the time Xbox took to sell 24 million.

If they drop the price the system will sell even better.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Not only are they half way there inside of a year and a half as many posters have already pointed out, the Xbox 360 is selling better than the Xbox did in every region, including Japan. The Xbox 360 has more support from Japanese developers now than the original Xbox ever had in its four years on the market and its bound to increase gradually as time progresses.

The Xbox 360 also has a more varied game lineup. I'll admit that the Xbox's library was almost entirely consistent of shooters and racing games, which I never had a problem with (two of my favorite genres) but wasn't anywhere near varied. The Xbox 360 is fixing this problem by adding a lot more variety to its catalog from JRPGS to hack and slash.

I can honestlysee the Xbox 360 perhaps doubling its predecessor's install base by the end of this generation.

kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts

[QUOTE="SegArgyle"]wtf are u talking about noob? they are already halfway there after only a year and a half, man, the cows need to wake up and recognize that it's time to have a taste of what it's like to look up at the competion, and get over it.Swift_Boss_A

lol I really got to someone, ok dude go outside a breath some freah air and remember PS3 WILL PWN 360 !

You sound...mature... Careful your age is showing.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

1) It's already made it, in one and a half years, halfway to the Xbox's sales at the end of its lifetime. And this is before Halo 3 has been released

2) You ACTUALLY think there will be a pricedrop for the PS3......THIS fall.....:lol:

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Swift_Boss_A

Not only are they half way there inside of a year and a half as many posters have already pointed out, the Xbox 360 is selling better than the Xbox did in every region, including Japan. The Xbox 360 has more support from Japanese developers now than the original Xbox ever had in its four years on the market and its bound to increase gradually as time progresses.

The Xbox 360 also has a more varied game lineup. I'll admit that the Xbox's library was almost entirely consistent of shooters and racing games, which I never had a problem with (two of my favorite genres) but wasn't anywhere near varied. The Xbox 360 is fixing this problem by adding a lot more variety to its catalog from JRPGS to hack and slash.

I can honestlysee the Xbox 360 perhaps doubling its predecessor's install base by the end of this generation.

The_Game21x

wrong the 360 is actually doing worse in Japan then the original Xbox but not by much, the 360 is so far at only about 350,000 and its been out there for 18 months ! face its dead in Japan.

The thing with the 360 is that Halo 3 will ruin ever game for it, look at Haze. Haze would probably had come out for the 360 this year but because of Halo 3 Free Radical decided to make Haze a PS3 timed exclusive.

Halo 3 is going to sell well but its not going to revolutionise FPS for consoles like Halo when it first lauched, Halo 3 wont be the definitive FPS and it might get AAA here but it will be low AAA. Halo 3 is not going to to expand the 360's intalled base because everyone who wants to play Halo 3 has already bought one.

Yes 360 has sold 10 million in a year but look for the past few months the sales have been lacking and very slow compared to last year when 360 had no competition.

Next year I can see PS3 sales going higher then 360.

Microsoft wont surpass 30 million by the end of this gen, definitely 8)

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

the xbox sold 22 million in 4 years.

the 360 sold 10 million in 1 one year.

hmmm, i'm thinking the tc doesn't follow the industry very well...;)

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Verge_6
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Swift_Boss_A

wrong the 360 is actually doing worse in Japan then the original Xbox but not by much, the 360 is so far at only about 350,000 and its been out there for 18 months ! face its dead in Japan.

The thing with the 360 is that Halo 3 will ruin ever game for it, look at Haze. Haze would probably had come out for the 360 this year but because of Halo 3 Free Radical decided to make Haze a PS3 timed exclusive.

Halo 3 is going to sell well but its not going to revolutionise FPS for consoles like Halo when it first lauched, Halo 3 wont be the definitive FPS and it might get AAA here but it will be low AAA. Halo 3 is not going to to expand the 360's intalled base because everyone who wants to play Halo 3 has already bought one.

Yes 360 has sold 10 million in a year but look for the past few months the sales have been lacking and very slow compared to last year when 360 had no competition.

Crystal ball much? If this is how you're going to debate, you honestly aren't worth the effort.

demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 demoralizer
Member since 2002 • 2023 Posts

Lotsof negative assumption on 360 and a ton ofpositive assumptions on PS3.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Swift_Boss_A

The Xbox 360 is far from dead in japan as there are many games coming that are tailor made for the japanese market such as Lost Odyssey that aren't out yet. Blue Dragon upped sales significantly when its released and I expect Lost Odyssey to do the same. Not to mention Trusty Bell and a few other games on the way.

Haze is a timed exclusive for the PS3. So what? It's not like it's not coming out on the 360 at all because of Halo 3. And given the extreme popularity of the Halo series, I wouldn't want to release a game next to it either, realizing that my game would probably be eclipsed by the Halo 3 Frenzy.

Wow, can I borrow your crystal ball for a minute? I want to check tonight's winning lottery numbers. I mean, how could you come up with so many predictions like that? But, using your logic, I could easily say everyone who wants MGS 4 has aready bought a PS3, so it won't see a sales increase when that comes out either.

The 360's sales over the past few months are as the 360's sales were this time last year. So, if the 360 sells at the rate it sold last year, its right on track to selling another 10 million this year.

Again, can I borrow that crystal ball? MS being under 30 million by the end of the gen? Well, you're just setting yourself up for ownage there buddy. Start thinking up your damage control now.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#28 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
exclusive.

Halo 3 is going to sell well but its not going to revolutionise FPS for consoles like Halo when it first lauched, Halo 3 wont be the definitive FPS and it might get AAA here but it will be low AAA. Halo 3 is not going to to expand the 360's intalled base because everyone who wants to play Halo 3 has already bought one.Swift_Boss_A

Not true at all.

Check out MLG.com. The vast majority of them still have the Xbox because they don't like using the x360 controller for Halo2. They are waiting 'til Halo3 is out.

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

Japanese gamers also prefer the DS over everything else. Is the TC Japanese? Are all Sony fans Japanese? You would think so from the tremendous weighting system they apply to the Japanese market. The 360 is doing fantastic this generation. End of story.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
MS has managed to sell 10 million systems at $400 and without Halo, something the original Xbox could never have done. I have no doubt that the 360 will sell more than the original Xbox.
Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

wrong the 360 is actually doing worse in Japan then the original Xbox but not by much, the 360 is so far at only about 350,000 and its been out there for 18 months ! face its dead in Japan. Swift_Boss_A

Add another 40k to that 350k. If vgchartz.com is to be believe, by the end of this week the 360 will official be doing better than the origian Xbox was in the same time frame in Japan.

The thing with the 360 is that Halo 3 will ruin ever game for it, look at Haze. Haze would probably had come out for the 360 this year but because of Halo 3 Free Radical decided to make Haze a PS3 timed exclusive. Swift_Boss_A

In case you haven't been paying attention, there's a lot of companies that don't want to go up against Halo. Free Radical would rather go up against Killzone 2 than Halo 3. What does that tell you about how they feel about Killzone 2?

Halo 3 is going to sell well but its not going to revolutionise FPS for consoles like Halo when it first lauched, Halo 3 wont be the definitive FPS and it might get AAA here but it will be low AAA. Halo 3 is not going to to expand the 360's intalled base because everyone who wants to play Halo 3 has already bought one. Swift_Boss_A

You see, kid, I can use the same argument with MGS4 or any of the other games coming out for PS3. Everyone who wants to play those games already bought a PS3.

Swift_Boss_A

But it's still outselling the PS3. Hell, right now the 360 is selling more in NA than the PS3 is selling in NA, EU amd Japan combined right now, again if vgchartz.com is to be believed. ;)

That means the gap between the 360 and PS3 is getting wider. That wasn't suppose to happen. But it is.

SumerianDaemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SumerianDaemon
Member since 2006 • 868 Posts
Now that the PS3 will get the games it deserves no one will be stupid enough to buy a 360. 360 will get a shooter wow impressive! Stop fooling yourselves lems and start saving money because you ll need it for PS3 .360 wont reach even 20 mil.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#33 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
If I had to guess, the 360 will be in the 35+ million units sold range by the end of it's lifetime. It's not going to be like zOMG like the PS2 was, but it will definetely surpass the original Xbox by quite a margin.
xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
since no body is waiting for halo3, mass effect, bioshock, for the 360. i know lots of people that are getting a 360 when halo 3 comes out. halo 3 is a SYSTEM SELLER.
SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts
I hate when people say the 360 only has shooters. The 360 has the MOST variety in games as any of the new gen systems. It also has the most types of games coming out.
NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NorthlandMan
Member since 2007 • 2302 Posts
should sell about 30 mill. alot of Sony fanboys are defecting
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Verge_6

I hate when people say the 360 only has shooters. The 360 has the MOST variety in games as any of the new gen systems. It also has the most types of games coming out. SpideR_CentS

It's only Sony fanboys who are stuck in the past that say this.

Also, why the hell are my posts not showing up? I've had to enter this post TWICE for it to show up.

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

I hate when people say the 360 only has shooters. The 360 has the MOST variety in games as any of the new gen systems. It also has the most types of games coming out. SpideR_CentS

Its about as lame and biased as saying the PS2 only has JRPGs. Its fanboyism with tunnel vision.

wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts

Only time will tell. Xbox360 is a niche market. Socrates88

No you are wrong. The original Xbox was a niche market. The PS3 is now a niche market. The xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii are going to take alot of sales away from what was the PS2 market.

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

Swift_Boss_A

100% agree, these 360 fanboys dont realize this. the 360 appeals to mostly hardcore gamers, thats why they dont mind paying for online, bc they are hardcore gamers! Also the one years headstart didnt do enough towin this gen. They sold alittle more than xbox in the first year comparisons and thats it. And now that have a rushed system that breaks down all the time.

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Only time will tell. Xbox360 is a niche market. wmc540

No you are wrong. The original Xbox was a niche market. The PS3 is now a niche market. The xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii are going to take alot of sales away from what was the PS2 market.

ur so wrong, 360 image has changed, the wii wont win its too obvious, and ps3 will be around for so long it will only sell more and more while other companies make new systems a fews years from now

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
They are close to half way there minus Halo. With Halo and Price drop, the 360 should exceed Xbox.
DarkT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkT33
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts

The original xbox only sold abotu 20 mil worldwide didn't it?

The 360 has sold 10 mil in just over a year. By simple human logic, the 360 will sell more than the xbox

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
Wii is their only enemy at the moment.
imelitenow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 imelitenow
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts
why is every1 saying that the 360 is half way that means it will be a 3 year system
DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts

Only time will tell. Xbox360 is a niche market. Socrates88
A niche market with 10 million owners? :?

If that's a niche market then I would like to see a mainstream one.

Stryking_Fyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Stryking_Fyre
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts

why is every1 saying that the 360 is half way that means it will be a 3 year systemimelitenow

Are you that stupid?