Microsoft thinking about adding achievements similar to how platinum trophies work?

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Microsoft thinking about adding achievements similar to how platinum trophies work? (34 votes)

Yes, please add “platinum achievements” for Xbox, this will be fun 38%
No thanks, “platinum achievements” are a bad idea because unlocking everything in the same game is too time consuming 18%
Couldn’t care less either way 44%

So Microsoft is apparently thinking about updating the way Xbox achievements work, mainly by adding an achievement that rewards you for unlocking all other achievements in the game. Sound familiar? Yes, this is exactly how platinum trophies on PlayStation work.

For me personally, I feel platinum trophies are a silly idea, because you are unlocking trophies for unlocking trophies. That’s like winning a gold medal at the Olympics because you won another gold medal at the previous Olympics. Makes zero sense if you ask me.

More reasons why platinum trophies are bad: most developers will sneakily add a super-difficult or time consuming trophy like “slay 50,000 goblins” or “beat the final boss under 30 seconds without getting hit”. With a platinum trophy system, you feel obligated to unlock these, but without platinum trophies you can skip them and simply move onto the next game. And let’s not forget that some trophies are glitched, and others are impossible to obtain because they require online play yet the servers are dead or decommissioned. Please keep these away from Xbox.

So what are your thoughts on this? Should Xbox have “platinum achievements” or keeps things the way they are?

Link:

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/09/xbox-apparently-wants-to-overhaul-achievements-someday

• 
Avatar image for hmmchinnyreckon
HmmChinnyReckon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 HmmChinnyReckon
Member since 2023 • 24 Posts

i cant be bothered chasing achievements anymore.

i really like the sound when i unlock a rare one, thats cool. but i stopped looking at achievement lists and caring about them years back.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44068 Posts

Never tried to get chieves so if I get'em okay, if I don't okay. :P

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

I don't really care.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@lavamelon: xbox is the one that came out with the achievement system, long before sony even released an online system worth a damn. I'm perfectly happy with how xbox does it, and I never cared too much about sonys trophy system either.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: well looks like Microsoft cares. Your opinion has been duly noted.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#6 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I’ve never cared for achievements,it doesn’t bother me either way. I’ve found it’s mainly the younger players that care for it. Microsoft keeps it or drops it,doesn’t matter to me.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts

I typically don't chase acheivements anymore but i do enjoy getting 100% for select titles that i really enjoy.. I hope Xbox does adopt some type of "platinum achievement" system..

I think the trophy system on PlayStation does a great job of showing whether a person is a completionist or if a person just plays a ton of games.. by contrast, achievements are just a flat number.. trophies provide a bit more at-a-glance information than achievements imo..

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:

@blaznwiipspman1: well looks like Microsoft cares. Your opinion has been duly noted.

Microsoft should care about their customers opinion, and their customer is me. Nobody cares about trash phone trophys.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Awesome feature.

As I moved from PS5 to full time PC gamer, one of the biggest disappointments was finding out that achievements and friendlists etc are spread between 7 different platforms.

Steam achievements and Xbox achievements (the main two platforms I am sticking to on PC, screw the rest) just don't have the same feeling as getting that platinum trophy. Also, on steam they are all weighted the same like bruh.

grateful for Xbox for "inventing" the idea of achievements but Sony nailed it with the bronze/silver/gold/platinum structure.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I grew out of achievements in the Xbox one era went for them on 360 but didn't feel the need to continue.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12961 Posts

Damn, I don't even care about trophies or achievements anymore. I have been long done with those. That said, keep any of those $ony PayStation features off the Xbox, please.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

@lavamelon: That is one terrible comparison you make. Trophies/achievements arent olyimpic medals. I prefer to say "I've platinum'd" a game rather than "I 100% percented a game". Same thing, yet one sound better than the other. The achievement is the one trophy which proves you've mastered a game (most of the times is what it means, although you have platinums for games who dont require you to beat their highest difficulties when they have them, which I find dumb but I digress). I like platinums. Just my two cents

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Sure, I’m down with that. Quite a few games that I’ve played already have an achievement for getting them all anyway. I love achievements/trophies and am really hoping that Nintendo finally gets on board with them as well.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@vatususreturns: I never said achievements/trophies are the same as Olympic medals. I only said getting an achievement/trophy for getting another achievement/trophy is similar to getting an Olympic medal for getting another Olympic medal.

The phrase “I platinum’d a game” sounds nice, but what if you can’t platinum a game because there’s an online trophy but the servers are decommissioned? You cannot platinum the game anymore.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3407 Posts

As long as I can keep them switched off they can do whatever they want to.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 285 Posts

They already do that shit ,what's wrong with their current achievement system?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I do think that they need to evolve the system in some way.

Im not sure they need a trophy system, but at least do what they talked about during Xbox One era and tie them to real milestones and rewards.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

The last thing MS needs to do is copy Sony on anything. The Achievement system is fine the way it is.

What MS needs to do is make sure devs are not releasing games with broken achievements and then just leaving them broken, Fix that before they do anything else with the achievement system.

Qui-Gon-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

I think the trophy system is far better than how Xbox handles achievements. Never been a fan of how Xbox handles DLC’s by just increasing the total points whereas Playstation keeps it all separate. Regardless…I kind of stopped caring for chasing achievements and trophies as on Steam it’s pretty much dogshit so I focus more on just completing the game and moving onto the next

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

@lavamelon said:

@vatususreturns: I never said achievements/trophies are the same as Olympic medals. I only said getting an achievement/trophy for getting another achievement/trophy is similar to getting an Olympic medal for getting another Olympic medal.

The phrase “I platinum’d a game” sounds nice, but what if you can’t platinum a game because there’s an online trophy but the servers are decommissioned? You cannot platinum the game anymore.

I understood what you meant and I reafirm what I've said. Oranges and apples. They are not the same reward system. Olympic medals are earned by different athletes at different disciplines. On console/PC you are mastering a specific game. The platinum is the one that shows people you did it (again, most of the times is what it means)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69490 Posts

If people are motivated by this addition.🤷🏽‍♂️ It doesn't affect the folks who don't care.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

I’ve never cared for achievements,it doesn’t bother me either way. I’ve found it’s mainly the younger players that care for it. Microsoft keeps it or drops it,doesn’t matter to me.

Where exactly did you find this data?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Platinum trophies is the main reason I get JRPG on PS. I tend to 100% jrpg for example going after hidden boses, getting ultimate weapons and getting a nice platinum trophy for my efforts kinda make it worth it. Other systems just not as good I can't give a shit about steam achievements it just doesnt give that satisfaction.

PS trophy chasers also active on reddit, facebook and from my observation seems PS trophy hunters is the largest group of achievements hunters on social media so I enjoy sharing my latest rare trophies with like minded people and help others.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

Too many games to play to care about trophies and achievements. I don't dislike that they exist, I just don't pay much attention...

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

"More reasons why platinum trophies are bad: most developers will sneakily add a super-difficult or time consuming trophy like “slay 50,000 goblins” or “beat the final boss under 30 seconds without getting hit”. With a platinum trophy system, you feel obligated to unlock these, but without platinum trophies you can skip them and simply move onto the next game."

I don't know why, but I just assumed trophies and achievements had the same criteria in order to unlock them (assuming they're multiplatform).

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#26 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@theam0g: I could very well be wrong? But just my experience that I noticed that it’s more the younger players cared more about their Achievements than the older ones. Like I said, I could be dead wrong.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

Very cool for those that care. On that note... why the hell not? I say add them, and get Nintendo in gear as well, they've been saying they were going to add achievements/trophies for years now... what ever came of that?