Microsoft or Sony: which has stronger first party franchises?

• 139 results
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Microsoft or Sony: which has stronger first party franchises? (114 votes)

Sony 61%
Microsoft 39%

Which one is stronger when it comes to first party game franchises? i.e. has the most popular / successful / sought after first party franchises?

• 
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56361 Posts

Is this a joke thread? The answer is obvious for anyone who's been on SW for many years already knows the answer lol.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23981 Posts

Sony's stable is more impressive than MS's stable.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

A month ago this wouldn't have been close but Microsoft just added DOOM, Fallout, Dishonored and TES to their portfolio. At the moment, these games still feel like multiplats (because they are) but when they end up not coming out on PS, I think people will really start feeling the sting.

Halo, Gears, TES, Dishonored, Fallout, DOOM, Forza, Age of Empires, Halo Wars, Gears Tactics, Ori, Fable

vs

TLOU, Uncharted, R&C, Horizon, GOT, inFAMOUS, God of War, Demon's Souls (does that count as a franchise?), Bloodborne

Note: I didn't include games like Killzone or Resistance because they've added too little presence for too long and nothing seems to be on the horizon for them.

Shockingly, I'll give this one to Microsoft with a tiny edge. DOOM for me is huge and although TES and Fallout are garbage games in their vanilla state, they can become pretty addictive when modded.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990
@davillain- said:

Is this a joke thread? The answer is obvious for anyone who's been on SW for many years already knows the answer lol.

How is it obvious? TES outsells every PS franchise. Fallout and DOOM can go toe to toe with any of them in terms of popularity and critical praise. Those three franchises alone would make the top 10 if they belonged to Sony.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@davillain- said:

What's obvious? A month ago this question would have been borderline stupid but MS' first party lineup is much stronger now that they own Zenimax. So I figure it's an interesting question now.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lebanese_boy

@Juub1990: We literally posted the same thing at the same time lol :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Even including the recent purchase by Microsoft, Sony still wins.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

nintendo..mario

xbox..halo.gears..fable..fallout..elder scrolls

ps.... sales

HaH

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44485 Posts

Prior to the recent Bethesda purchase I probably would have said Sony but since that has happened I now say Microsoft.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@Juub1990: TES6 isn't known to be exclusive. Also with one of its biggest platforms gone, TES6 won't sell as well as Skyrim. It's been 10 years since Skyrim btw.... I know you guys aren't used to having exclusives to list but calm down. The chickens haven't hatched yet. Maybe you also didn't know that Skyrim hasn't even sold 10 million across 360 and Xbox One. TLOU 1 alone outsold that.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
@Sagemode87 said:

@Juub1990: TES6 isn't known to be exclusive. Also with one of its biggest platforms gone, TES6 won't sell as well as Skyrim. It's been 10 years since Skyrim btw.... I know you guys aren't used to having exclusives to list but calm down. The chickens haven't hatched yet. Maybe you also didn't know that Skyrim hasn't even sold 10 million across 360 and Xbox One. TLOU 1 alone outsold that.

What are the chances TES VI come out on PS? Rather unlikely if Microsoft wants to push their services. Certainly not impossible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Skyrim sold 13.7M on Xbox 360 according to Statistic Brain.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Sony destroys MS and it isn't even close. The Xbox fanboys bringing up studios full of multiplat games lol

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@davillain- said:

How is it obvious? TES outsells every PS franchise. Fallout

TES and Fallout are also not very good any more. At all. I think it's a big wait-and-see on whether they are "strong" next round.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45415 Posts

MS is home to Fallout 76. 'Nuff said.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70252 Posts

If we are looking at now Sony without a doubt. If we are looking at the future, well, 😎

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Sony’s first party reached another level with the PS4 — they’ve come a really long way, and easily made some of the best games of the generation. I hope Microsoft’s newer acquisitions leads them to creating really great first party content going forward, only time will tell.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

btw, the question is for first party franchises (regardless of exclusivity).

i.e. which company owns stronger franchises (not stronger exclusives) in the industry right now?

stronger = more popular / successful / sought after

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@Juub1990 said:
@davillain- said:

How is it obvious? TES outsells every PS franchise. Fallout and DOOM can go toe to toe with any of them in terms of popularity and critical praise. Those three franchises alone would make the top 10 if they belonged to Sony.

Juub, I played Skyrim to death since its launch with over 100 mods and the TES to me is losing its steam if you ask me but than again, Bethesda keeps milking Skyrim for all its worth. MS buying Bethesda, I'll wait and see how this all plays out for MS.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pedro

@davillain- said:

Juub, I played Skyrim to death since its launch with over 100 mods and the TES to me is losing its steam if you ask me but than again, Bethesda keeps milking Skyrim for all its worth. MS buying Bethesda, I'll wait and see how this all plays out for MS.

Sounds like you are saying Skyrim is losing its steam not TES.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Juub1990
@davillain- said:

Skyrim isn't the whole franchise. TES VI if it doesn't come out on PS5 will be a huge deal.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990
@xantufrog said:

TES and Fallout are also not very good any more. At all. I think it's a big wait-and-see on whether they are "strong" next round.

Wait, what? The last main Fallout game was released 4 years ago and was well-received (though I think it sucks.) and the last main TES game is almost a decade old. Fallout 76 and ESO are not at all representative of these franchises.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

MS pulls ahead now, it's 1p studio output will be more varied and has strong IP in each category. Sony 1p is still limited and needs to expand. Need more studios to follow what Guerilla did and go outside the wheel house to try something new.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15989 Posts

In term of franchise its obvious Microsoft right now has so many strong franchises compared to Sony. Sony though personally has better studios and better environment to vreate new IP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

From what I have seen, Sony.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Sony and its not even close.

Also I still doubt that MS paid 7.5 billion for a studio and is going to keep them exclusive, they paid 4 billion for Minecraft and its stayed multiplat. I know MS fanboys/trolls like to dream that they (MS) doesnt care about profits and can spend spend spend and not get anything in return, but the reality is that's not the case, they're in it to make money and spending that much to dwindle the sales of those franchises isn't in that best interest.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

I'll say Sony, because I don't know how Microsoft is gonna handle putting out Bethesda games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xantufrog  Moderator

@Juub1990: Skyrim is a pretty terrible rpg. And FO4 is mediocre. I guess the answer depends on the purpose of the topic - if the topic is "sells the most" or "critics give them 8s" then yes, MS is probably in front now. But as a gamer and former fan of both series you won't see me calling either a strong ip any more unless they prove me otherwise

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@vfighter said:

Sony and its not even close.

Also I still doubt that MS paid 7.5 billion for a studio and is going to keep them exclusive, they paid 4 billion for Minecraft and its stayed multiplat. I know MS fanboys/trolls like to dream that they (MS) doesnt care about profits and can spend spend spend and not get anything in return, but the reality is that's not the case, they're in it to make money and spending that much to dwindle the sales of those franchises isn't in that best interest.

You are living in denial if you think all Bethesda's future games are going to be specifically on the PS5. Microsoft is going to leverage the fact that their games are accessible via Gamepass streaming and PC. I also recall the argument that that PS4 gamers prefer to game on PC every time a Xbox console exclusive is mentioned, so there is no loss to MS. 😎

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

The one that has 2 souls games.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45415 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@Juub1990: Skyrim is a pretty terrible rpg. And FO4 is mediocre. I guess the answer depends on the purpose of the topic - if the topic is "sells the most" or "critics give them 8s" then yes, MS is probably in front now. But as a gamer and former fan of both series you won't see me calling either a strong ip any more unless they prove me otherwise

I won't go as far as to say that Skyrim is terrible, but it was a buggy mess. So was Fallout 3. And I believe Fallout 4 had issues too. Instead of focusing on quality RPGs, they decided to turn to mobile and microtransaction crap. That's why I'm really not that hyped at all for Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Juub1990
@xantufrog said:

I agree. To me the vanilla version of these games is pretty shit but people love them. They sell 10's of millions and score 85+ pretty consistently so I have no choice but to include them in the top lists. Not very different from people who hate Uncharted or TLOU2 because they consider them story-driven movie-games with mediocre gameplay.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lebanese_boy

@Mystery_Writer said:

btw, the question is for first party franchises (regardless of exclusivity).

i.e. which company owns stronger franchises (not stronger exclusives) in the industry right now?

stronger = more popular / successful / sought after

That's pretty much how I understood it, Bethesda games may or may not be exclusives but they are still MS's first-party.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: yeah it's not that it's a "terrible experience" - it's a decent sandbox with a cool setting to dick around in. It's that (IMO) it's a terrible roleplaying game and the worst modern entry in the series. I know it's popular AF, but I'm ok being in the minority. Like I said, I think these games count a lot towards the bankroll, but it has been over a decade since I would have said they counted towards a strong first party lineup in a "it's a genuinely good game" sense.

IMO the better scores from this acquisition are Arkane and id games

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@Pedro: I haven't pay that much to Bethesda but is there a demand for TES6?

@xantufrog said:

It's not that Skyrim is terrible and I do admit, I enjoy it much more but its overstayed its welcome and Bethesda keeps milking it to its roots is the problem. Fallout 4 had its moments but yeah, it was mediocre at best, it was the sign that Bethesda can't make fun games any more. And this is why I'm not jumping for joy over at MS buying Bethesda until I see the final results.

Edit: As for the rest of the thread, Sony still has an edge on the exclusives at this time and until MS comes out strong, its Sony for now.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xantufrog  Moderator

@davillain-: my favorite part about Skyrim and FO4 were their settings. Love that dirty water

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11698 Posts

@davillain- said:

@Pedro: I haven't pay that much to Bethesda but is there a demand for TES6?

@xantufrog said:

It's not that Skyrim is terrible and I do admit, I enjoy it much more but its overstayed its welcome and Bethesda keeps milking it to its roots is the problem. Fallout 4 had its moments but yeah, it was mediocre at best, it was the sign that Bethesda can't make fun games any more. And this is why I'm not jumping for joy over at MS buying Bethesda until I see the final results.

Edit: As for the rest of the thread, Sony still has an edge on the exclusives at this time and until MS comes out strong, its Sony for now.

It was the highest trending game to come out of that E3 it was revealed at and all they showed was some landscape and a title. Definitely still a big demand.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11698 Posts

Currently Sony has the better first party, in a couple years that could change.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@fedor: Is that so? TES as a series still has life it in lol. But I do remembering reading that Bethesda is trying to get Starfield out of the way first before they do anything else. Starfield is one of those Bethesda games I'm actually interest the most.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lebanese_boy

@fedor: Heck there's hype for Starfield and nothing at all has been shown!

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

As it currently stands, Sony has a more stable base of 1st-party games. I view Microsoft to be a work in progress, so we'll have to wait and see how they shape up in the upcoming years.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Sony is still in the lead but it’s actually a race now and not a massacre like it was before. I’m super excited to see how the competition pushes both sides this gen.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#43 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19679 Posts

Sony still wins. Bethesda games are trash. The only good Zenimax franchises are Doom and The Evil Within.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

A month ago this wouldn't have been close but Microsoft just added DOOM, Fallout, Dishonored and TES to their portfolio. At the moment, these games still feel like multiplats (because they are) but when they end up not coming out on PS, I think people will really start feeling the sting.

Halo, Gears, TES, Dishonored, Fallout, DOOM, Forza, Age of Empires, Halo Wars, Gears Tactics, Ori, Fable

vs

TLOU, Uncharted, R&C, Horizon, GOT, inFAMOUS, God of War, Demon's Souls (does that count as a franchise?), Bloodborne

Note: I didn't include games like Killzone or Resistance because they've added too little presence for too long and nothing seems to be on the horizon for them.

Shockingly, I'll give this one to Microsoft with a tiny edge. DOOM for me is huge and although TES and Fallout are garbage games in their vanilla state, they can become pretty addictive when modded.

You have no proof that future Bethesda games won't be on Playstation lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Juub1990
@jcrame10 said:

The opposite is also true. It's more likely these games DON'T find themselves on Playstation rather than the other way around. Of course, it's not impossible Microsoft continues releasing them on Playstation either.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9558 Posts

Microsoft buying a publisher doesn't make their previous offerings better. The answer is Sony. Not even debatable.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@jcrame10 said:

The opposite is also true. It's more likely these games DON'T find themselves on Playstation rather than the other way around. Of course, it's not impossible Microsoft continues releasing them on Playstation either.

They're gonna need all the sales they can get to make back that $7 billion

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

I voted MS this time. I think MS combined exclusives will outsell Sony now that TES, DOOM, Fallout etc are part of the MS portfolio.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Sony has the strong first party not because of Titels like god of war uncharted or GT but because of there willings to invest in new ips like dreams or ghosts of Tsushima and days gone and one day lets hope Wild comes out on ps5. MS bought Bethesda and we still don’t know what their plan is with the fallout and oblivion and imo they are not systems sellers just like the finale fantasy series. MS still has a lot to prove

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Juub1990
@jcrame10 said:

They're gonna need all the sales they can get to make back that $7 billion

Sure, but they'd probably try to use it as a leverage for Game Pass. If they release TES VI on PS5, that's one less big reason to get Game Pass which goes against their strategy. Once again, not saying it's impossible. I just see Microsoft using Bethesda as major sellers for their services.