Microsoft is not paying Square-Enix

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

To preface this post:

We don't want the PlayStation 3 to be the overwhelming loser, so we want to support them. But we don't want them to be the overwhelming winner either, so we can't support them too much. Michihiro Sasaki - VP of Square-Enix

Link

Star Ocean 4 360 exclusive (for now), The Last Remnant 360 timed exclusive...this is what Sasaki meant when he spoke about supporting all consoles equally.

As hard as it is to imagine, Square is not the honorable company the Playstation era made them out to be, remember Nintendo? The Final Fantasy VII for Nintendo 64? It existed.

Secondly, when has Microsoft not told the world about their spending habits? The touted the $50,000,000 they spent on GTAIV DLC. They've touted their wallet after every exclusive they have purchased. Their reasoning? They pay to give their consumers what they want.

There has been no news whatsoever saying any kind of deal with Square-Enix has been reached. A deal of that magnitude would drive sales of the 360 all over the world immediately, and would not be something Microsoft would want to hide.

As painful as it is, the PS3 is selling no better in Japan than the 360 is. If you count 7,000 consoles per week a huge difference then I feel for you...

Square's bold new trend puts another franchise in jeopardy, Kingdom Hearts. If Sony does not open their wallets, Square has no reason to bring KH3 to the PS3. No reason whatsoever. Kingdom Hearts is up and down a Wii-esque game.

Microsoft isn't opening their wallet, Sony needs to, and Nintendo is just screwing everybody.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
The real answer..... We don't know.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

Yeah.. and if MS did pay for this Square would just tell it to everyone who wants to hear it...

No I don't buy it. Games which will almost certainly be more profitable on the PS3 (because of popularity in Japan where these games sell best) going to the 360 all of a sudden. Commercially this is a stupid move, unless some money is involved with it coming from MS directly.

Aside from that I also find the way the Square guy phrased it pretty arrogant. What makes him think that whichever console is supported by SE will b the on that 'wins' the console wer?

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
It is, what it is. Who cares if they did or not but knowing M$, they did.
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts
who cares. it doesn't change the fact that the 360 is the home console rpg king
kentaro22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kentaro22
Member since 2005 • 2694 Posts
I do not agree with the Idea that selling 7000 (average) more consoles in Japan than the 360 is nothing. The 360 in Japan is non existant. The PS3 in Japan is dead but still could make a comeback, especially with exclusive jrpgs like FF and SO. I Understand the Idea of Square Enix wanting all consoles to do well, so it can sell more software to more people, But giving SO game exclusively to the 360 won't make the 360 sell better in Japan, while doing lots of damage to the PS3 sales IMO.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NielsNL

I do not agree with the Idea that selling 7000 (average) more consoles in Japan than the 360 is nothing. The 360 in Japan is non existant. The PS3 in Japan is dead but still could make a comeback, especially with exclusive jrpgs like FF and SO. I Understand the Idea of Square Enix wanting all consoles to do well, so it can sell more software to more people, But giving SO game exclusively to the 360 won't make the 360 sell better in Japan, while doing lots of damage to the PS3 sales IMO.kentaro22

That's the way I see it too. MS is perhaps doing this as a last effort to gain a foothold in Japan. If this doesnt work, nothing will. They can afford to pay for it. Easily. But Square is 'betraying' (I use the term loosely, I realise that in the end it's just games and there are more important things) their loyal customers for money.

Maybe I'm totally wrong of course, since my guess is as good as any's.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheSystemLord1
Ok, here's a question that begs to be answered then. Mistwalker's games spiked 360 sales pretty considerably in Japan. What will a true, full-effort, major Square-Enix franchise under presumably timed exclusivity do for the system? If it is between playing SO4 and TLR right now, or waiting upwards of a year, do the Japanese do without for that entire year?
kentaro22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kentaro22
Member since 2005 • 2694 Posts
Ok, here's a question that begs to be answered then. Mistwalker's games spiked 360 sales pretty considerably in Japan. What will a true, full-effort, major Square-Enix franchise under presumably timed exclusivity do for the system? If it is between playing SO4 and TLR right now, or waiting upwards of a year, do the Japanese do without for that entire year?TheSystemLord1
Spiked? Past from 1000 units to 5000 and then dead lined again. I really doubt even a square enix game will change the landscape for the 360 in Japan.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NielsNL

Ok, here's a question that begs to be answered then. Mistwalker's games spiked 360 sales pretty considerably in Japan. What will a true, full-effort, major Square-Enix franchise under presumably timed exclusivity do for the system? If it is between playing SO4 and TLR right now, or waiting upwards of a year, do the Japanese do without for that entire year?TheSystemLord1

Spiked? So they sold 2000 instead of 1000 per week?

But in all seriousness: I'm not too knowledgeable about the Japanese and their mentality, but I think the main reason Japanese rather buy a PS3 is that it is Japanese. Japan has very little natural resources like oil and metals and its economy is adapted to this. Japanese realise this and therefore they know they're supporting their own economy and maintaining their own level of welfare by buying only Japanese products like consumer electronics and cars. Also they make sure they work harder and more efficiently and maintain a higher level of quality (Japanese cars are the best as are their electronics) to be able to export these products elsewhere and ensure them being bought. So I doubt an American console will ever stand a chance in Japan.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

It'll probably reach PS3 sales levels. You know, 7000 to 10000 before falling after a few weeks.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheSystemLord1

Actually, from 4000 to 35,000 consoles.

Link

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
I am just wondering why it would be a bad thing even if they did. Lets just say they did. That would mean that MS is not just sitting around and trying their best to get their 360 fans as many games as possible. So how would that be a bad thing unless you never plan on having a 360?
jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts

You're very gullible if you believe there was no money exchanged.

See, I could understand supporting all consoles equally, but you do realize that making one console have Timed Exclusives and the other having fabled games that seem to keep being pushed back, isn't exactly equal footing, is it now?

It's pretty obvious.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="kentaro22"]I do not agree with the Idea that selling 7000 (average) more consoles in Japan than the 360 is nothing. The 360 in Japan is non existant. The PS3 in Japan is dead but still could make a comeback, especially with exclusive jrpgs like FF and SO. I Understand the Idea of Square Enix wanting all consoles to do well, so it can sell more software to more people, But giving SO game exclusively to the 360 won't make the 360 sell better in Japan, while doing lots of damage to the PS3 sales IMO.NielsNL

That's the way I see it too. MS is perhaps doing this as a last effort to gain a foothold in Japan. If this doesnt work, nothing will. They can afford to pay for it. Easily. But Square is 'betraying' (I use the term loosely, I realise that in the end it's just games and there are more important things) their loyal customers for money.

Maybe I'm totally wrong of course, since my guess is as good as any's.

firstly how are square "betraying" any one first ff game was on the nintendo and final fantasy 7 and 8 were on pc aswell not just ps1. secondly MS are obviously paying something to get these games exclusive in the first place, ms can afford to throw money around all day long, if they wanted too they could buy out every major developer and bancrupt sony in 5 minutes
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts

right...... so put it on a console that is dead in japan, I mean it only sells 1-2 thousand units a week, so what sense does it make unless microsoft is paying money to atleast help develop the game, otherwise it's suicide for the game

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheSystemLord1

right...... so put it on a console that is dead in japan, I mean it only sells 1-2 thousand units a week, so what sense does it make unless microsoft is paying money to atleast help develop the game, otherwise it's suicide for the game

bigLLL

In the week of its release, Blue Dragon bumped 360 sales from 4,000 to 35,000.

Square probably thinks its games can do alot better than that.

The market is there believe it or not.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rybe1025

bigLLL
True PS3 is selling more but it not like PS3 is selling that great over there either/ Only the Wii is selling like crazy over there. Also japan is not the only place that plays jrpgs or else this thread and all the other ones up right now would not be necessary.
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bigLLL
yes a spike but now it's back selling 1000-2000 units again, and what blue-dragon only sold 200k so far in japan it's not much, ps3 isnt doing great but the fact is all sony needs is a smash hit jrpg and japan will actually buy a ps3 look what happened with the PSP when monster hunter 2ndg come out, it's sold like 2 million copies and psp dominates, and thats all sony needs just one game, but the 360 no matter what the japanese just arnt going to buy the 360, maybe a spike here and there but nothing will change that, it's just how the japanese role 360 will never ever have a million seller in japan even if the game is amazing.
[QUOTE="bigLLL"]

TheSystemLord1

In the week of its release, Blue Dragon bumped 360 sales from 4,000 to 35,000.

Square probably thinks its games can do alot better than that.

The market is there believe it or not.

Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

Hey, if MS did pay them would it matter?

I suppose if they do it loads it could break anti competition laws but this is how companies seal exclusives and timed exclusives. Its just business.

Goldmatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Goldmatter
Member since 2003 • 1688 Posts
maybe square think they can make more money ( from a recent report it showed that they have not b een doing So well recently in terms of income etc ) by selling games on all consoles at seperate times.... I dont know its just a guess.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Wait, so Star Ocean 4 is exclusive and Last Remnant comes to Xbox 360 first? Man, I feel bad for cows. :lol:
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheSystemLord1

yes a spike but now it's back selling 1000-2000 units again, and what blue-dragon only sold 200k so far in japan it's not much, ps3 isnt doing great but the fact is all sony needs is a smash hit jrpg and japan will actually buy a ps3 look what happened with the PSP when monster hunter 2ndg come out, it's sold like 2 million copies and psp dominates, and thats all sony needs just one game, but the 360 no matter what the japanese just arnt going to buy the 360, maybe a spike here and there but nothing will change that, it's just how the japanese role 360 will never ever have a million seller in japan even if the game is amazing.bigLLL

My point was that was a start up company with no credentials outside of Sakaguchi. It had that big of an impact.

A true Square-Enix game (next in a popular series) is a big deal. And could easily fuel 360 sales for a month or more. With that kind of success behind it, it makes the decision to bring JRPG's to the 360 a whole lot easier.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheSystemLord1

Wait, so Star Ocean 4 is exclusive and Last Remnant comes to Xbox 360 first? Man, I feel bad for cows. :lol:BioShockOwnz

Lol I was wondering when you would get online to see this.

Tales of Vesperia releases this year, 360 exclusive.

Star Ocean 4 had a trailer saying "For Xbox 360"

TLR is a timed exclusive, PS3 version is "uncertain".

Infinite Undiscovery, Cry On, and Mistwalker games are also in development as we speak and preparing for a 2009 RPG onslaught.

gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

No I don't buy it. Games which will almost certainly be more profitable on the PS3 (because of popularity in Japan where these games sell best) going to the 360 all of a sudden. Commercially this is a stupid move, unless some money is involved with it coming from MS directly.

NielsNL

How would putting them on the PS3 be any commercially stupider than putting them on the 360?

Why not put them on the Wii then, which sells 10x more than the PS3 in japan?

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bigLLL
No lemmings would have played star ocean 3 So it's funny them jumping on the bandwagon now, I can tell you it was beyond average, but there are some ps2 now ps3 owners that would be a little angry that actually enjoyed star ocean 3 for some bizzare reason
Wait, so Star Ocean 4 is exclusive and Last Remnant comes to Xbox 360 first? Man, I feel bad for cows. :lol:BioShockOwnz
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Wait, so Star Ocean 4 is exclusive and Last Remnant comes to Xbox 360 first? Man, I feel bad for cows. :lol:TheSystemLord1

Lol I was wondering when you would get online to see this.

Tales of Vesperia releases this year, 360 exclusive.

Star Ocean 4 had a trailer saying "For Xbox 360"

TLR is a timed exclusive, PS3 version is "uncertain".

Infinite Undiscovery, Cry On, and Mistwalker games are also in development as we speak and preparing for a 2009 RPG onslaught.

Wowzers, thanks for the news. This is just crazy! Xbox 360 is definitely the console to own if you want JRPG's. And cows tried to play down the 360's future...:lol:

UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UnrealSin_X
Member since 2008 • 925 Posts

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]yes a spike but now it's back selling 1000-2000 units again, and what blue-dragon only sold 200k so far in japan it's not much, ps3 isnt doing great but the fact is all sony needs is a smash hit jrpg and japan will actually buy a ps3 look what happened with the PSP when monster hunter 2ndg come out, it's sold like 2 million copies and psp dominates, and thats all sony needs just one game, but the 360 no matter what the japanese just arnt going to buy the 360, maybe a spike here and there but nothing will change that, it's just how the japanese role 360 will never ever have a million seller in japan even if the game is amazing.TheSystemLord1

My point was that was a start up company with no credentials. It had that big of an impact.

A true Square-Enix game (next in a popular series) is a big deal. And could easily fuel 360 sales for a month or more. With that kind of success behind it, it makes the decision to bring JRPG's to the 360 a whole lot easier.

The biggest boost for the Xbox in Japan was Blue Dragon which hardly shifted 35,000 Xbox units, while that may be good compared to the usual 4,000 a month, it is still a horrible number and is the same amount of PS3's sold a month and the PS3 is doing bad there.

The game itself only shifted 200,000 units which is completely horrible compared to amount of money and effort taken to make such a game.

Also remember this game was heavily worked on by Akira Toriyama(sorry if incorrect spelling), and the DBZ franchise is a HUGE success in Japan, so in general the game was a failure.

This is all obviously an all out hit to try and experiment to see if they could reach Japan, so that if they did they could pay a hell of a lot of money to get FF on the Xbox.

This is not going to happen,ever. This was all paid for by MS and SE is just trying to cover it up by putting lame quotes same as every other company doing business.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

You do not give exclusives without getting incentives in return.

You are a fool if you think FF13 wasn't paid for by Sony in some way or form.

It's obvious MS is paying Square something for all these RPGs. The reason I'm so surprised is because it seems these X360 titles are taking most of their dev time over PS3 titles. That is what should be concerning. It doesn't matter if PS3 gets FF13 2 years from now if in the mean time X360 gets 5 exclusive RPG's from Square lol.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rybe1025
No lemmings would have played star ocean 3 So it's funny them jumping on the bandwagon now, I can tell you it was beyond average, but there are some ps2 now ps3 owners that would be a little angry that actually enjoyed star ocean 3 for some bizzare reason[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Wait, so Star Ocean 4 is exclusive and Last Remnant comes to Xbox 360 first? Man, I feel bad for cows. :lol:bigLLL

So a person that owns a 360 was never able to own a different console? think about it. Also if ps2 owners are upset then they can always buy a 360. I do not see what the problem is. People should buy consoles for the games on it not just the name of the maker. World of gaming will be better when more understand that.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]yes a spike but now it's back selling 1000-2000 units again, and what blue-dragon only sold 200k so far in japan it's not much, ps3 isnt doing great but the fact is all sony needs is a smash hit jrpg and japan will actually buy a ps3 look what happened with the PSP when monster hunter 2ndg come out, it's sold like 2 million copies and psp dominates, and thats all sony needs just one game, but the 360 no matter what the japanese just arnt going to buy the 360, maybe a spike here and there but nothing will change that, it's just how the japanese role 360 will never ever have a million seller in japan even if the game is amazing.UnrealSin_X

My point was that was a start up company with no credentials. It had that big of an impact.

The biggest boost for the Xbox in Japan was Blue Dragon which hardly shifted 35,000 Xbox units, while that may be good compared to the usual 4,000 a month, it is still a horrible number and is the same amount of PS3's sold a month and the PS3 is doing bad there.

The game itself only shifted 200,000 units which is completely horrible compared to amount of money and effort taken to make such a game.

Also remember this game was heavily worked on by Akira Toriyama(sorry if incorrect spelling), and the DBZ franchise is a HUGE success in Japan, so in general the game was a failure.

This is all obviously an all out hit to try and experiment to see if they could reach Japan, so that if they did they could pay a hell of a lot of money to get FF on the Xbox.

This is not going to happen,ever. This was all paid for by MS and SE is just trying to cover it up by putting lame quotes same as every other company doing business.

Why do Sony supporters always pull the conspiracy theory card?

"Uncharted was so underrated by Gamespot", "Lemspot!"

"R&C: ToD was so underrated by Gamespot". "Lemspot!"

"Halo 3 got a 9.5?, "What?!", "They were bribed by M$"

"GTA IV doesn't deserve a 10!", "They were bribed", "MGS4 won't get a 10 because Konami won't pay!"

"M$ got exclusive JRPG's that should be on PS3?", "What traders!" "M$ is pullin' out their moneyhat!"

"Wait, DMC4 went multiplatform?!" "Those traders!" Let's start a petition about how mad we are!"

Seriously, guys....it's time for a new excuse.

jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with ease of use for developing games. Softy's is simply easier. Recall the frustration from that Japanese game developer who quit prior to a release of a 360 game, which shall not be named here, but the guy (Itagara?) quit a day before the release date and he was quoted as saying that he hated the PS3! Probably there are a lot of Japanese game developers that are tired of Sorny's business model & are using Mr. Softy in a competitve way to extract greater profits.
Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

No one can say this console is just for shooters now.

But I do think MS payed SE. It makes sense because I highly dout SE are going to give free exclusive deals to companies and release the game on one console instead of 2. Its business and normal.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheSystemLord1

You do not give exclusives without getting incentives in return.

You are a fool if you think FF13 wasn't paid for by Sony in some way or form.

It's obvious MS is paying Square something for all these RPGs. The reason I'm so surprised is because it seems these X360 titles are taking most of their dev time over PS3 titles. That is what should be concerning. It doesn't matter if PS3 gets FF13 2 years from now if in the mean time X360 gets 5 exclusive RPG's from Square lol.

darthogre

Lol interesting point. FF13 is nowhere to be seen and yet the 360 RPG's are being shown left and right.

Interesting...very interesting...

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

So it looks like I will be finally getting my X box 360 soon. Maybe at the end of this year since Star Ocean 4 is exclusive for it in 2009:D

*sigh* but really, it surprises me that no company, but SE, has really tried to develop for te PS3. I would like to see what it can really do.

UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UnrealSin_X
[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"][QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]yes a spike but now it's back selling 1000-2000 units again, and what blue-dragon only sold 200k so far in japan it's not much, ps3 isnt doing great but the fact is all sony needs is a smash hit jrpg and japan will actually buy a ps3 look what happened with the PSP when monster hunter 2ndg come out, it's sold like 2 million copies and psp dominates, and thats all sony needs just one game, but the 360 no matter what the japanese just arnt going to buy the 360, maybe a spike here and there but nothing will change that, it's just how the japanese role 360 will never ever have a million seller in japan even if the game is amazing.BioShockOwnz

Why do Sony supporters always pull the conspiracy theory card?

"Uncharted was so underrated by Gamespot", "Lemspot!"

"R&C: ToD was so underrated by Gamespot". "Lemspot!"

"Halo 3 got a 9.5?, "What?!", "They were bribed by M$"

"GTA IV doesn't deserve a 10!", "They were bribed", "MGS4 won't get a 10 because Konami won't pay!"

"M$ got exclusive JRPG's that should be on PS3?", "What traders!" "M$ is pullin' out their moneyhat!"

"Wait, DMC4 went multiplatform?!" "Those traders!" Let's start a petition about how mad we are!"

Seriously, guys....it's time for a new excuse.

What in the blue hell are you speaking of? I could'nt care less if Gamespot scored every PS3 game 0.01. Sony pays SE, the same way MS did and if you don't believe that well it's up to you but i'd suggest taking some business studies.

Conspiracies are BS most of the time and this is'nt one, it's common sense. I love how you generalize everyone defending the PS3 as a "Sony supporter", seriously i'd love and see you use logic instead of quotes from idiotic fanboys.
Sorry if i was rude, but i hate generalization.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BioShockOwnz

What in the blue hell are you speaking of? I could'nt care less if Gamespot scored every PS3 game 0.01. Sony pays SE, the same way MS did and if you don't believe that well it's up to you but i'd suggest taking some business studies.

Conspiracies are BS most of the time and this is'nt one, it's common sense. I love how you generalize everyone defending the PS3 as a "Sony supporter", seriously i'd love and see you use logic instead of quotes from idiotic fanboys.
Sorry if i was rude, but i hate generalization.UnrealSin_X

Do you have any cold hard evidence that money was exchanged from Microsoft to Square? If you don't, then it's a conspiracy theory until proof is provided. You can tell people to take some business studies, which I did in college, and you can tell people this and that -- but until the real proof is provided, it's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
actually the consistant basis is 1k-2k for 360 in japan each week.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]

Sorry if i was rude, but i hate generalization.BioShockOwnz

Do you have any cold hard evidence that money was exchanged from Microsoft to Square? If you don't, then it's a conspiracy theory until proof is provided. You can tell people to take some business studies, which I did in college, and you can tell people this and that -- but until the real proof is provided, it's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

Sony owns a part of SE, and are selling better in Japan, Europe, and lately even in the States, yet this is happening (Which is fine by me,) which begs the question, Why?

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]

Well, when youhave exclusives there is usually money involved. Games are hard and expensive to develop for this gen. Most companies are probably finding it more benifical to release multiplats which I hate actually. If there is a game that is excluisve just expect that money was involved. Especially JRPGs

This goes for Sony and Microsoft

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheSystemLord1

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]

This is my exact argument both here and in the PS3 forums.

When has Microsoft shyed away from telling the world that they spend their money? Never. They tell the public about nearly every dollar they spend on videogames because it shows us that they care about the 360's success.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside really...

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bigLLL

cmon now ur a smart guy, if you was a betting man which side would you put the house on, sqaure enix making star ocean 4 a 360 exclusive with a install base of 600,000 in japan and only selling 1-2000 a week knowing full well how stubborn the japanese can be when it comes to there console choices, with no proven good sales when it comes to rpgs with lost odyssey only selling like 100k and blue-dragon 200k......and yet lets make it exclusive anyway with a huge potential for massive failure and better yet lets do it for freee yay yay

or microsoft paying sqaure a sum of money to make it exclusive or atleast timed exclusive because microsoft really wants to try crack the japan market and is pulling out all the stops with sums of cash because they realise it's important ( and there is nothing wrong with this at all) there just trying and good on them really?

[QUOTE="UnrealSin_X"]

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

I'm suprised that Microsoft would be going this far. I mean damn they are in it to win it. They're platform is the one that sells the software and that is what the Developers and game makers are looking for especially now and days when its hardest to earn a buck selling a game with the high dev costs. They are starting to have great relations with devs these days and its well earned given the success of sales of software on their system.

You'd think Reggie would be trying to get better relations given Nintendo's success or hell even Sony should have **** blocked this by any means possible.

I mean the Japanese gaming market console wise really isn't buying much. Hell its an offbeat shot in the dark but making these games and making them viable for 360 isn't exactly an insane idea. Would I do it as a Japanese dev? Probably not. But you have to take into account that JRPGS are selling on the 360. They do okay in Japan and then do decent in Europe and America. They make decent and profitable numbers and thats without having to deal with the PS3 high cost and highly time consuming development.

I mean if you can make a 360 game and it can sell well and be profitable I mean hell go for it. JPN sales don't seem to be doing as well as the other regions and like I said from the business standpoint you still have to deal with the PS3's cost.

But like I said. I still wouldn't attempt this if this was my game. But I do see the logic behind it.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BioShockOwnz
Why didn't lems cry over the moneyhat issue when all the exclusives went to PS2? Or when FFXIII was announced only for PS3?
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bigLLL
Why didn't lems cry over the moneyhat issue when all the exclusives went to PS2? Or when FFXIII was announced only for PS3? BioShockOwnz
because we expect square jrpgs since sony saved sqaure and own 20% of there shares, square should never forget sony really saved them big time and thats where they made all there money from last gen
UnrealSin_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UnrealSin_X
Why didn't lems cry over the moneyhat issue when all the exclusives went to PS2? Or when FFXIII was announced only for PS3? BioShockOwnz

At that time the Xbox was a new console and FF was always on the PS, please stop trying to defend your kind.

It makes no sense that SE would do this other than the "conspiracy" that MS paid them, the games will sell fairly and hardly shift any consoles in Japan. In reality i blam Sony for not securing their own damn JRPG's in the first place and for going after the stupid American shooter market.
jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

Hmmm..Well, let's see. It says XIII. So coming from the Xbox/PC world, that's a lot of sequels I've never seen before or had the urge to play it, so an FFXIII would not cater to a new crowd on different machines who have no history of FF & probably do not have the interest to make it sell either. As for the PS2/Xbox, both of those consoles were cheap enough to own both & get whatever games you wanted...imagine two consoles at only $150-$200..basically 2 consoles for the price of one in today's market.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Why didn't lems cry over the moneyhat issue when all the exclusives went to PS2? Or when FFXIII was announced only for PS3? bigLLL
because we expect square jrpgs since sony saved sqaure and own 20% of there shares, square should never forget sony really saved them big time and thats where they made all there money from last gen

It would seem like the Sony and Square honeymoon is over. That's a good thing for everyone. We don't need a monopoly on our games. Now Square will be providing killer games for every console.

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bigLLL
very true sony really did try crack the America FPS market this gen, so lets hope killone 2 is amazing since it seems heaps of money is going into that, id feel the pain about losing out on these rpg's but it's hard to really be on the downside of things when it's 2 days until metal gear solid 4 comes out
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Why didn't lems cry over the moneyhat issue when all the exclusives went to PS2? Or when FFXIII was announced only for PS3? UnrealSin_X

At that time the Xbox was a new console and FF was always on the PS, please stop trying to defend your kind.

It makes no sense that SE would do this other than the "conspiracy" that MS paid them, the games will sell fairly and hardly shift any consoles in Japan. In reality i blam Sony for not securing their own damn JRPG's in the first place and for going after the stupid American shooter market.