Microsoft is going to be paying Sony royalties for the next Xbox.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for freemultiplayer
freemultiplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freemultiplayer
Member since 2009 • 99 Posts

I was thinking about the gamble Sony took by making Blu-ray standard on the PS3. It meant selling the system at a high price, but it gave Blu-ray the edge to become the standard HD disc. That means thatwhen the next generation comes Microsoft will be paying Sony Blu-ray royalties. It's kind of funny if you think about it.

MikeT072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MikeT072
Member since 2009 • 1209 Posts
Unless Microsoft comes out with their own superior format.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Except Sony isn't the only company that is invested in Blu-Ray.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

No, M$ is using DVD again.-J/k.

M$ is paying for DVD royalties, which Sony is apart of. So this won't be any different, since Blu-Ray is not just Sony, but a Consortium.

Avatar image for freemultiplayer
freemultiplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freemultiplayer
Member since 2009 • 99 Posts
Except Sony isn't the only company that is invested in Blu-Ray.II-FBIsniper-II
True. Sony owns about 30 percent. That should be about $5 profit per system.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

What makes you think they won't come up with a different format? Do you have a crystal ball?
I read a while ago about 500 gb DVDs. Who knows if MS will use them next gen but I find it very unlikely that MS will adopt BluRay as its game format. For those that want to read a little bit more about those 500 GB DVDs, click here.

AssassinFonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AssassinFonce
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts
And bluray uses MS codecs so therefore Sony is paying MS royalties on the PS3 already. You're point?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Except Sony isn't the only company that is invested in Blu-Ray.freemultiplayer
True. Sony owns about 30 percent. That should be about $5 profit per system.

30% proof? i do not believe thats true. As for that isn't the bluray consortium paying royalties for VC-1?
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

And bluray uses MS codecs so therefore Sony is paying MS royalties on the PS3 already. You're point?AssassinFonce
VC-1 .....

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
Sony pays Microsoft royalties for Windows. This is no different except Windows Royalty is more than the Blu-Ray Royalty.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
the next xbox will be digital only quote me on it
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

Outside of consoles, these companies are not in direct competition. They have to pay royalties on everything, it's how business works. We'll see what Microsoft does when it comes to the 720.

mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mgs_freak91
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts

I was thinking about the gamble Sony took by making Blu-ray standard on the PS3. It meant selling the system at a high price, but it gave Blu-ray the edge to become the standard HD disc. That means thatwhen the next generation comes Microsoft will be paying Sony Blu-ray royalties. It's kind of funny if you think about it.

freemultiplayer
"Sony doesn't even have 30 percent of the IP." (At least according to estimates). Though they are part of the big 4 companies; the four being: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer and Warner. According to.. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9874317-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt (sorry if it's not linked) Though, with that said, Sony does gain royalities; but it's a very small amount compared to the other IP owners.
mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mgs_freak91
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts
Unless Microsoft comes out with their own superior format.MikeT072
This is Microsoft we are talking about, they specialize in Software! I would not want them making any disk's I would have to use. RROD People? They should stick to what they do best; unless of course you meant "Microsoft comes out with their own superior format, with the help of other major companies." Which also won't have happen because all the major companies are backing up Blu-ray and other than a handfull, I don't see them backing up another storage device as well. :S
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts

lol @ people who dont know much, but still create threads about it. firstly, i think MS will retain the DVD next gen, but go the PC route and have a 500GB hard drive, and have them compressed like PC games. Not only will this save money, but they can really cut down on piracy if the install requires the disc like it currently does. They could also do checks online when you are connected to XBL. Secondly, Bluray uses MS's version of the VC-1 codec, so the BDA is already paying MS royalties for every disc made. And before someone tries to say that its alot of versions of the VC-1, while true, it says right on the official bluray website that it uses MICROSOFTS VERSION. :)

SMPTE VC-1 - standard based on Microsoft's Windows Media Video (WMV) technology.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

I'm sorry, Sony owns Blu-Ray?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

789shadow
No no, you've got it all wrong. Sony IS Blu-Ray.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

unless they use this

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/01/ge-shows-off-1tb-holographic-discs-but-wolf-blitzer-remains-skep/

micky4889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 micky4889
Member since 2006 • 2668 Posts

lol @ people who dont know much, but still create threads about it. firstly, i think MS will retain the DVD next gen, but go the PC route and have a 500GB hard drive, and have them compressed like PC games. Not only will this save money, but they can really cut down on piracy if the install requires the disc like it currently does. They could also do checks online when you are connected to XBL. Secondly, Bluray uses MS's version of the VC-1 codec, so the BDA is already paying MS royalties for every disc made. And before someone tries to say that its alot of versions of the VC-1, while true, it says right on the official bluray website that it uses MICROSOFTS VERSION. :)

SMPTE VC-1 - standard based on Microsoft's Windows Media Video (WMV) technology.

navyguy21
Yes but who are the one's paying the royalties? Sony or the movie studios ? Just curious as to why Sony would be paying M$ when it's the movie studios that decides what codec they want to use for their movie, MPEG-2,MPEG-4 or VC-1
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="MikeT072"]Unless Microsoft comes out with their own superior format.mgs_freak91
This is Microsoft we are talking about, they specialize in Software! I would not want them making any disk's I would have to use. RROD People? They should stick to what they do best; unless of course you meant "Microsoft comes out with their own superior format, with the help of other major companies." Which also won't have happen because all the major companies are backing up Blu-ray and other than a handfull, I don't see them backing up another storage device as well. :S [/QUOTE

First off learn some things, Microsoft didn't design ATI designed the GPU and IBM the Cpu Microsoft went to a 3rd party fabrication company to make the rest which was the problem they picked the wrong compay which is why we are where we are with reliability and 360....A disc format wouldn't be designed and created by microsoft.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WilliamRLBaker
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

micky4889
Yes but who are the one's paying the royalties? Sony or the movie studios ? Just curious as to why Sony would be paying M$ when it's the movie studios that decides what codec they want to use for their movie, MPEG-2,MPEG-4 or VC-1

they pay money to put the decoding software in there created by Microsoft. any time a player or software uses any portion of the VC-1 then money is paid to microsoft so if they have an order to create 5 million sony bluray players that use a VC-1 decoder then the royalties from each one is paid at that point. Movie studios pay to have the stuff encoded in VC-1 and the software they use to encode it.
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Xbox 720 games will be on VHS.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 navyguy21
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

micky4889

Hooray for double standards?? How can Sony own, or even be a small part of BDA, and not have to pay royalties??. The studio that makes the movies pays royalties for the product...............that product being bluray. They dont pay for development of bluray. BDA has to pay MS (sony inlcuded, whether that fee is taken from their cut or paid directly) And the VAST MAJORITY of codecs used, is the VC-1 because its better than the others, and the MPEG 4 is no longer used at all, and MPEG2 is rarely used. VC-1 is used on just about every bluray produced now.
micky4889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 micky4889

[QUOTE="micky4889"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]

WilliamRLBaker

they pay money to put the decoding software in there created by Microsoft. any time a player or software uses any portion of the VC-1 then money is paid to microsoft so if they have an order to create 5 million sony bluray players that use a VC-1 decoder then the royalties from each one is paid at that point. Movie studios pay to have the stuff encoded in VC-1 and the software they use to encode it.

Ah i see so Sony pays so much per player and the movies studios pay so much per disc if they choose to use VC-1. Makes sense i guess.

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 dmil1991
Member since 2007 • 1016 Posts

Microsoft has 4 options next generation:

• DVD
  • Blu-ray Disc
  • Digital distribution only
  • Holographic discs or some alternate new disc format

I have a feeling they'll do their own thing, just to try to one-up Sony next-gen instead of using an older format.

Irick_cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Irick_cb
Member since 2009 • 1691 Posts

Xbox 720 games will be on VHS.Messiahbolical-

No, they will be on Beta-Max.

That way, the title is still right.

micky4889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 micky4889

[QUOTE="micky4889"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]

navyguy21

Hooray for double standards?? How can Sony own, or even be a small part of BDA, and not have to pay royalties??. The studio that makes the movies pays royalties for the product...............that product being bluray. They dont pay for development of bluray. BDA has to pay MS (sony inlcuded, whether that fee is taken from their cut or paid directly) And the VAST MAJORITY of codecs used, is the VC-1 because its better than the others, and the MPEG 4 is no longer used at all, and MPEG2 is rarely used. VC-1 is used on just about every bluray produced now.

Hahaha getting all defensive are we? I said "Just curious" as in i didn't know. Also that site you linked before you might want to go back and reread it because it lists all blu ray movies and the codecs they use

"MPEG 4 is no longer used at all, a" really ? whats this then? ReleasedSep 22, 2009 or this sep 29 2009or thisSep 29, 2009

Hell if you just go toNew releasesthe majority are in MPEG 4.

Edit: Also i knew the BDA were payingroyalties per player i wascurious about what you wrote "so the BDA is already paying MS royalties for every disc made." because it didn't make much sense that the BDA would be paying again when it's the movie studios that chose the codec.

PrimusGears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PrimusGears
Member since 2008 • 1594 Posts

the next xbox will be digital only quote me on itstereointegrity

lol so true, and its 1 terabyte HDD will be nice storage for the digital media...

2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts

Nope MS is distributing games via flash-drive and DD next gen ;)

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

They will obviously make their own format and call it green ray.

Edit: That's a serious answer by the way. Is Sony paying royalities for ripping off the Wiimote?

whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

the next xbox will be digital only quote me on itstereointegrity

nah.... people aren't ready for that leap yet. I'd give it a couple generations or maybe 3

Gangstah-Fresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gangstah-Fresh
Member since 2009 • 510 Posts
Well Sony pays for windows in their computers/phones so each company is using each others technologies for some time now.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#33 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
Why do people even think that there will be ANY disks next-gen?
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

Unless Microsoft comes out with their own superior format.MikeT072

Like.....? That's what I thought.

Seriously, you think MS would spend Billions of dollars to develop a new format just for it's new console?

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dream431ca

Why do people even think that there will be ANY disks next-gen?dgsag
Because DD is not a realistic approach. Most ISPs only allow 50Gigs a month to be downloaded, and the bandwidth would be stretched to the limit. Plus people like to have a physical copy rather than a digital copy.

rocoswav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rocoswav
Member since 2005 • 804 Posts

789shadow

yes they do the other companies involved are only investors, they have nothing to do with decision making

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 navyguy21

[QUOTE="MikeT072"]Unless Microsoft comes out with their own superior format.dream431ca

Seriously, you think MS would spend Billions of dollars to develop a new format just for it's new console?

It doesnt costs billions to improve on an existing one :P They could just use HDDVD right?? Its not like they will need bluray when HDDVD has about the same capacity :P It doesnt matter that its no longer being used if MS only uses it for games right?? or they could use VMD, or a host of other formats already on the market. They dont have to develop one from the ground up. Lets be realistic here

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="MikeT072"]Unless Microsoft comes out with their own superior format.navyguy21

It doesnt costs billions to improve on an existing one :P They could just use HDDVD right?? Its not like they will need bluray when HDDVD has about the same capacity :P

Why would MS pickup HD-DVD? They tried that already and it failed. If MS would make a new format, it would have to be useful in everyday applications and not just one gaming console.

Irick_cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Irick_cb

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="MikeT072"]Unless Microsoft comes out with their own superior format.navyguy21

It doesnt costs billions to improve on an existing one :P They could just use HDDVD right?? Its not like they will need bluray when HDDVD has about half the capacity :P

fixed your error.

LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
Lol this thread is silly. Sony has microsoft soft on their vaios, so what?
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

It doesnt costs billions to improve on an existing one :P They could just use HDDVD right?? Its not like they will need bluray when HDDVD has about the same capacity :P

Why would MS pickup HD-DVD? They tried that already and it failed. If MS would make a new format, it would have to be useful in everyday applications and not just one gaming console.

lol, dude, sit back and try to listen. Microsoft had nothing to do with HDDVD, they merely SUPPORTED it, they had no horse in either race. They didnt use HDDVD in the console because they didnt know which would succeed. They make money off BOTH formats because the number one codec in the discs...................they own. So using HDDVD in the console hurts what if they only want storage?? And its compatible with DVD so whats the harm in it?
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

as long aswe arenot paying them , who really cares?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 navyguy21

Irick_cb

It doesnt costs billions to improve on an existing one :P They could just use HDDVD right?? Its not like they will need bluray when HDDVD has about half the capacity :P

fixed your error.

Toshiba begs to differ :P

http://www.physorg.com/news87584681.html

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

[QUOTE="dgsag"]Why do people even think that there will be ANY disks next-gen?dream431ca

Because DD is not a realistic approach. Most ISPs only allow 50Gigs a month to be downloaded, and the bandwidth would be stretched to the limit. Plus people like to have a physical copy rather than a digital copy.

That would be assuming that the games would need the same space as a Blu-Ray. Their is a lot of repeated data and uncompressed audio on a Blu-Ray disk. In this other senario (DD) they would not have to account for that type of space as it would not be Blu-Ray. Also compression would be used at the download stage I would think.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] It doesnt costs billions to improve on an existing one :P They could just use HDDVD right?? Its not like they will need bluray when HDDVD has about the same capacity :Pnavyguy21

lol, dude, sit back and try to listen. Microsoft had nothing to do with HDDVD, they merely SUPPORTED it, they had no horse in either race. They didnt use HDDVD in the console because they didnt know which would succeed. They make money off BOTH formats because the number one codec in the discs...................they own. So using HDDVD in the console hurts what if they only want storage?? And its compatible with DVD so whats the harm in it?

The harm is, MS won't make money off of it, so it's a useless investment and the original creator of HD-DVD (Toshiba) is already supporting Blu-ray. Plus if MS were to go it alone in supporting HD-DVD, NOBODY would support them because everyone now supports Blu-ray. Lets try to stay realistic here.

Irick_cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Irick_cb

[QUOTE="Irick_cb"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] It doesnt costs billions to improve on an existing one :P They could just use HDDVD right?? Its not like they will need bluray when HDDVD has about half the capacity :Pnavyguy21

fixed your error.

Pioneer brings it on home.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

[QUOTE="Irick_cb"]

fixed your error.

Irick_cb

Good lord dude lol, i give up!! Ownage approved :P
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 navyguy21

dream431ca

The harm is, MS won't make money off of it, so it's a useless investment and the original creator of HD-DVD (Toshiba) is already supporting Blu-ray. Plus if MS were to go it alone in supporting HD-DVD, NOBODY would support them because everyone now supports Blu-ray. Lets try to stay realistic here.

lol, thats exactly what youre not getting. All these discs are nothing but storage medium. You think MS profits from DVD?? no lol, just like they didnt profit from HDDVD other that the royalties from the codecs. and what are you talking about "nobody supporting" it?? Just because games are stored on it doesnt mean MS is pushing it as the next standard lol. They can just use it for storage. Isnt that what this thread is about?? It isnt about microsoft pushing a new standard, and getting other companies on board like sony with bluray. Heck, microsoft can go the UMD route like sony did and create their own low cost solution based on current tech, and it would be ok because no one would have to use it but devs looking to publish games. Why are you assuming that the world has to embrace this disc that MS uses?
Irick_cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Irick_cb

[QUOTE="Irick_cb"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] Toshiba begs to differ :P

navyguy21

Good lord dude lol, i give up!! Ownage approved :P

:P

HD-DVD production disks at the moment are 15 gb per layer, blueray disks are 25.

In terms of data dencity it makes sense, the blueray laser is smaller then the HD-DVD, so it can read smaller pits.

However that drove up the cost of blueray lasers, but by the next console generation it should not be that persuasive of an issue to prevent it from being used _if_ it is determined the storage is needed. But if things take a turn for the casual side, it could easily be over-looked.

Irick_cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Irick_cb

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] lol, dude, sit back and try to listen. Microsoft had nothing to do with HDDVD, they merely SUPPORTED it, they had no horse in either race. They didnt use HDDVD in the console because they didnt know which would succeed. They make money off BOTH formats because the number one codec in the discs...................they own. So using HDDVD in the console hurts what if they only want storage?? And its compatible with DVD so whats the harm in it?navyguy21

lol, thats exactly what youre not getting. All these discs are nothing but storage medium. You think MS profits from DVD?? no lol, just like they didnt profit from HDDVD other that the royalties from the codecs. and what are you talking about "nobody supporting" it?? Just because games are stored on it doesnt mean MS is pushing it as the next standard lol. They can just use it for storage. Isnt that what this thread is about?? It isnt about microsoft pushing a new standard, and getting other companies on board like sony with bluray. Heck, microsoft can go the UMD route like sony did and create their own low cost solution based on current tech, and it would be ok because no one would have to use it but devs looking to publish games. Why are you assuming that the world has to embrace this disc that MS uses?

UMDs were intended to become a new media standard.

They just ended up not having a market outside the PSP.

Sony lost money as a result.