Microsoft can brick your system remotely

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

Acceptable, non acceptable? Should they be able to do this? Even though you own content and the system itself?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

If you violate their terms of service I don't see why not, technically any internet connected device with independent registration can be bricked remotely via uploaded firmware, this isn't something exclusive to the Xbox One, Sony could brick PS4's, Nintendo could brick Wii U's etc.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Because I really believe that video....

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Technically you don't own the software, you've just bought the right to use it. This is a problem with a closed system, you have to use the software in exactly the way that the content owner wants you to use it, in this case MS.

I'm not particularly fussed one way or the other. I don't see myself getting in a situation whereby my console will get bricked by MS. I also assume Sony has similar procedures in place for the PS4, as do most devices.

Strutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Strutten
Member since 2008 • 1263 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: sony can do the same, apple and so on.. you can see iit all in terms of agreements and what not..

also they could and did this last-gen.. against modders-pirates and so on.. no new news at all..

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

has there been actual proof they bricked the consoles?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

So can Sony and Nintendo. Dont break the rules and you won't have anything to worry about. Whats the big deal?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Publishers are always precious about release dates or people leaking stuff. Let's not pretend MS does this to have a good laugh.

It just happens. I don't consider a company better or worse for doing it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride

@lostrib said:

Did you either watch the video or look at the article? I am guessing no?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clyde46

@mems_1224 said:

So can Sony and Nintendo. Dont break the rules and you won't have anything to worry about. Whats the big deal?

Because its Microsoft and they are evil.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Not acceptable.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@lostrib said:

Did you either watch the video or look at the article? I am guessing no?

I did, and then i read more articles. Which is why i'm asking if there is actual proof of the consoles being bricked

Here's the relevant part of the email:

• This being said, as per that agreement with the testers in fault, Microsoft also permanently disabled their Xbox Live accounts (as well as other suspected accounts present on their Xbox One kits) and temporarily blocked all of their Xbox One privileges - meaning that for a period of time which Microsoft decides on depending on the severity of the offense, their Xbox One is entirely unusable.

"Entirely unusable" is the problematic phrase here, and it appears VMC may have over-stepped the mark, because in a statement released to media following Kotaku's report, Microsoft countered VMC's email, stressing the Xbox Ones affected continue to work offline.

Here's the statement:

• To be clear, if a console is suspended from Xbox Live for a violation of the Terms of Use, it can still be used offline. Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. Suspensions for both consoles and accounts are determined by looking at a number of factors. To avoid enforcement action including suspension from the service, users should follow the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct.

The upshot is it seems Microsoft cannot "brick" an Xbox One remotely, but it can stop online functionality by blocking access to Xbox Live - for an undisclosed period of time determined by Microsoft itself.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-15-microsoft-takes-on-gears-of-war-xbox-one-leakers

In response to our request for comment, though, a Microsoft spokesperson seemed to contradict the relevant portion of the VMC letter. “To be clear, if a console is suspended from Xbox Live for a violation of the Terms of Use, it can still be used offline," the statement said. "Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. Suspensions for both consoles and accounts are determined by looking at a number of factors. To avoid enforcement action including suspension from the service, users should follow the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct.”

When asked specifically in a follow up whether Microsoft had the ability to stop an Xbox One from working offline, the spokesperson simply pointed us back to a line from his initial response: "Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. ... I believe [that line] covers your follow-up query."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/microsoft-pushes-back-on-reports-of-xbox-bricking-punishment/

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
  • Microsoft confirmed the console can be used offline, and VMC misworded the statement
  • Sony and Nintendo can in fact do the same. So can Apple and Google.
  • Don't break the Terms of Use, and you have nothing to worry about
  • In this case, a legally binding contract (an NDA) was broken. Considering the legal fallout of that, honestly I would be happy with just having a $350 console bricked.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46

@doozie78 said:

Not acceptable.

Its perfectly acceptable. You break their terms of use which you have agreed to when you are using their services then they have every right to ban you.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

@clyde46 said:
@doozie78 said:

Not acceptable.

Its perfectly acceptable. You break their terms of use which you have agreed to when you are using their services then they have every right to ban you.

They shouldn't have the right to disable the system completely, they should have the right to yank you from online though, maybe the term "brick" shouldn't be used here.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46

@doozie78 said:
@clyde46 said:
@doozie78 said:

Not acceptable.

They shouldn't have the right to disable the system completely, they should have the right to yank you from online though.

Which if you read what Lostrib has posted is what they do.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@clyde46 said:

Because I really believe that video....

So click the link then...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

There is misinformation in this thread, pointless misinformation at that. Microsoft has come out and officially clarified that consoles cannot be bricked- only LIVE privileges suspended. Locking now.