MICROSOFT *already* positioning itself to snatch up Take-Two?! OH SNAP!

• 148 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

This just in...

Yesterday Take-Two revealed it was postponing the previously scheduled annual shareholders meeting to explore its options, one being a possible sale of the entire company. Today word has reached us through the grapevine by means of an inside source at Rockstar Vancouver, that "the buzz" in the hallways is that Microsoft might have put in a bid or expressed interest in purchasing the ailing publisher/developer. While this is a mere rumor, albeit from a reliable source, it is to be taken with a grain of salt. Just imagine the ramifications....

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=41553&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

With Take-Two representing games like GTA, Elder Scrolls, 2k Sports games, BioShock and many more, would a move like this not only make the Devil May Cry issue seem insignificant, but almost totally tip the console war in Microsoft's favor?

DISCUSS.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
Possible GTA exclusive on the 360? ZOMG!
mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mastarifla
Member since 2005 • 2448 Posts
I think it would put Microsoft in a great situation... but I really cant believe this rumor stuff anymore haha believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. and family guy ftw
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
So how is it that Take two shareholders/CEO is selling the whole company?
-Antisocial-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Antisocial-
Member since 2003 • 372 Posts
I thought MS already said they wouldn't bid to take over Take-Two.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
if it happens and GTA becomes exclusive to 360 then yeah microsoft can tip the scale in there favor in a big way.
Avatar image for Mancow_wrestler
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mancow_wrestler
Member since 2006 • 1249 Posts
No offense but who the hell is Worth playing and why are they even close to being a respectable source? :P
miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
Microsoft would buy your mother.
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
If it was to happen, it would just about be GAME OVER.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dreams-Visions
I thought MS already said they wouldn't bid to take over Take-Two.-Antisocial-
things change. Ask Capcom.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dreams-Visions
No offense but who the hell is Worth playing and why are they even close to being a respectable source? :PMancow_wrestler
they're not the biggest site, but they're not Kotaku either.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
I thought MS already said they wouldn't bid to take over Take-Two.-Antisocial-
When did they say it ?
E M I N 3 M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 E M I N 3 M
Member since 2002 • 2615 Posts
Im a big X360 supporter, but if M$ buys Take-Two...The other systems are gonna be hurting & thats bad for gaming on a whole. There's so many sub-divisions of Take-Two, that make all these different types of games in different genres. I dont know man...2K is huge alone, with all their sports titles. I guess we'll soon find out *shrug*
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

[QUOTE="-Antisocial-"]I thought MS already said they wouldn't bid to take over Take-Two.Dreams-Visions

True but I seriously doubt this would happen. Sony would blow the world up before they let that happen I think. Doesn't mean they will buy it but if MS is going after they will have to order hit man or something cause this is just way too huge of a deal if MS bought. Sony would like drop the price to $400 the next day just to have some damage control lol

Just too big IMO, wont happen 

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

If MS gets GTA exclusive I'll be first to say that they'll easily win the console war.

I'd also get a 360 rather than PS3 later this year for GTAIV (I'm going to end up owning all 3). 

I don't think anyone will buy T2 though. We'll see what happens. 

-Antisocial-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Antisocial-
Member since 2003 • 372 Posts

[QUOTE="-Antisocial-"]I thought MS already said they wouldn't bid to take over Take-Two.Felous1
When did they say it ?

One company that says it's not in the running is Microsoft (Charts). Because today's independent publishers are platform agnostic - that is to say, they build games for all major systems - taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360. "We could never launch an acquisition bid at a third party publisher," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios.CNN

Quoted from here: http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/09/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm

Who knows? Maybe they've changed their minds already.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kcpp2b

Im a big X360 supporter, but if M$ buys Take-Two...The other systems are gonna be hurting & thats bad for gaming on a whole. There's so many sub-divisions of Take-Two, that make all these different types of games in different genres. I dont know man...2K is huge alone, with all their sports titles. I guess we'll soon find out *shrug*E M I N 3 M

If MS buys T2 it would be like when the WWE bought WCW and ruined wrestling from there on because they had a monopoly. Not the same thing exactly I know but getting T2 and GTA alone as an exclusive is massive 

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="-Antisocial-"]I thought MS already said they wouldn't bid to take over Take-Two.kcpp2b

True but I seriously doubt this would happen. Sony would blow the world up before they let that happen I think. Doesn't mean they will buy it but if MS is going after they will have to order hit man or something cause this is just way too huge of a deal if MS bought. Sony would like drop the price to $400 the next day just to have some damage control lol

Just too big IMO, wont happen 

fair. but "too big" is no longer a proper phrase to use in business. AT&T + Cingular. Sprint + Nextel. Dalhmer Benz + Chrysler. Big things happen all the time now.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="E M I N 3 M"]Im a big X360 supporter, but if M$ buys Take-Two...The other systems are gonna be hurting & thats bad for gaming on a whole. There's so many sub-divisions of Take-Two, that make all these different types of games in different genres. I dont know man...2K is huge alone, with all their sports titles. I guess we'll soon find out *shrug*kcpp2b

If MS buys T2 it would be like when the WWE bought WCW and ruined wrestling from there on because they had a monopoly. Not the same thing exactly I know but getting T2 and GTA alone as an exclusive is massive 

meh. WCW was never on the WWF's level anyway. :P Macho Man Randy Savage > WCW :D
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

This does not make any sense to me...at all.

If Microsoft does indeed go through with this, then they'll have to explain this to me:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/09/commentary/column_gaming/?postversion=2007030911

One company that says it's not in the running is Microsoft (Charts). Because today's independent publishers are platform agnostic - that is to say, they build games for all major systems - taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360.

"We could never launch an acquisition bid at a third party publisher," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios.

pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pins_basic

If Microsoft does indeed go through with this, then they'll have to explain this to me:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/09/commentary/column_gaming/?postversion=2007030911

One company that says it's not in the running is Microsoft (Charts). Because today's independent publishers are platform agnostic - that is to say, they build games for all major systems - taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360.

"We could never launch an acquisition bid at a third party publisher," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios.

ToScA-

Bill told Shane to STFU and go pick up T2 for him.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dreams-Visions

ToScA-

great find. maybe it's a BS story? hmm....
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#23 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts
This would be a tremendous pick up for MS.  I don't know if I'd say it guarantees a victory in N.A., and Europe, but it sure has hell would put them in great position to be the market leader in both regions.  And the threads on here would be hilarious.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360ToScA-
There's still PC.
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

If it was to happen, it would just about be GAME OVER.pins_basic

GAME OVER to Sony? Maybe, but still up in the air. GAME OVER to console wars? **** no!

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kcpp2b

[QUOTE="ToScA-"]taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360Felous1
There's still PC.

I understand that but doing this would boost 360 sales a lot, like more then Halo 3. I mean they could also give Sony a timed exclusive deal where they get GTA or whatever games half a year later or a year later.

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

[QUOTE="ToScA-"]taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360Felous1
There's still PC.

360? PC? They're both the same :P. Both noisy, both big in their own right, both deliver great online, both have almost the same library of titles, both share the same multiplats, both has a brand impossible to die off and both by MS.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="ToScA-"]taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360Optusnet

There's still PC.

360? PC? They're both the same :P. Both noisy, both big in their own right, both deliver great online, both have almost the same library of titles, both share the same multiplats, both has a brand impossible to die off and both by MS.

fair.
-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts
"Ubisoft, for instance, has made it known it would like to start a sports brand to compete with Electronic Arts" (---- Hmm I wonder which one would make the better sports games?
DustAmulet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DustAmulet
Member since 2005 • 427 Posts
I still doubt it will happen, but this would be one of the greatest ownages of all time if GTA was not on PS3. The cows are getting owned bad enough as it is!
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I'd Much rather Ubisoft buy em. Keep good third party games coming. Also it would be nice to see 2KSports with Ubisoft going head to head with EA Sports.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] fair. but "too big" is no longer a proper phrase to use in business. AT&T + Cingular. Sprint + Nextel. Dalhmer Benz + Chrysler. Big things happen all the time now.

Verizon as a company should probably be brought up on Anti-Trust violations, as should Microsoft, IBM (console CPUs), Walmart and several other high-profile companies probably including Sony. The problem is that legislation lacks enforcement at this point.
MaTT2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MaTT2011
Member since 2005 • 3949 Posts
MS hits weak point for MASSIVE damage!!!1!
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
For everyone saying but MS said they would not do it. Why would a company let everyone know their plans when it comes down to a huge money buyout? I do not think they will though. Would it be worth it in long run that is a huge money gamble but then again not like MS does not have the money to do it
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Runningflame570
BTW, regarding the OP I doubt the validity of this article or that any company would buy the entirety of Take-Two. IF Take-Two goes on sale its going to be divvied up among different companies. Among those you can be sure EA, Ubisoft, THQ, and Activision would all be involved in some way. Sony and Microsoft probably would too but I doubt either would outright buy the entire company, especially when Take-Two would most certainly get a better deal by selling the company in parts.
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pins_basic
I'd Much rather Ubisoft buy em. Keep good third party games coming. Also it would be nice to see 2KSports with Ubisoft going head to head with EA Sports.waynehead895
Cept EA owns 20% of Ubisoft, if Ubi gets 2K Sports EA might just go ahead and take another 31% chunk and get rid of 2K sports. Though Ubi picking up T2 would raise there price, I'm sure EA would still be able to pick them up.
gokurocks2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 gokurocks2442
Member since 2004 • 3371 Posts
hmmm....does gta have something to do with take-two??? Because if it does and microsoft buys the company then ps3 fans better get ready to jump ship
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Runningflame570"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] fair. but "too big" is no longer a proper phrase to use in business. AT&T + Cingular. Sprint + Nextel. Dalhmer Benz + Chrysler. Big things happen all the time now.

Verizon as a company should probably be brought up on Anti-Trust violations, as should Microsoft, IBM (console CPUs), Walmart and several other high-profile companies probably including Sony. The problem is that legislation lacks enforcement at this point.

the feds approved all of those mergers. anti-trust issues are moot in these cases.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dreams-Visions
hmmm....does gta have something to do with take-two??? Because if it does and microsoft buys the company then ps3 fans better get ready to jump shipgokurocks2442
the owner of Take-Two has the rights to the GTA franchise, essentially.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
The way I see it is that Take2 as a whole is just to expensive for any company to buy outright. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of piecemeal deals going on as the developers are bought. Here are my guesses on who is bidding on what... MS - 2k, Bethesda, Rockstar Sony - 2k, Rockstar, Joytech Nintendo - Rockstar EA - 2k Sports Ubisoft - 2k, 2k Sports That's just my personal guess on the situation though. I could be completely wrong.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Ibacai"]The way I see it is that Take2 as a whole is just to expensive for any company to buy outright. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of piecemeal deals going on as the developers are bought. Here are my guesses on who is bidding on what... MS - 2k, Bethesda, Rockstar Sony - 2k, Rockstar, Joytech Nintendo - Rockstar EA - 2k Sports Ubisoft - 2k, 2k Sports That's just my personal guess on the situation though. I could be completely wrong.

In such a situation, it wouldn't e a shock to see MS simply take majority control by purchasing the requisite number of shares.
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Runningflame570
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] In such a situation, it wouldn't e a shock to see MS simply take majority control by purchasing the requisite number of shares.

Thing is...if theres a hint of such an attempt all other companies involved (at least Sony and Ubisoft) would probably mass-buy shares to prevent such an occurance.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Runningflame570"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] In such a situation, it wouldn't e a shock to see MS simply take majority control by purchasing the requisite number of shares.

Thing is...if theres a hint of such an attempt all other companies involved (at least Sony and Ubisoft) would probably mass-buy shares to prevent such an occurance.

Idunno...I guess we all might find out soon, huh?
Avatar image for machitocaliente
machitocaliente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 machitocaliente
Member since 2007 • 832 Posts
just like rare, it dsnt change anything. wii its going to be the market leader.
fkholmes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 fkholmes
Member since 2006 • 8887 Posts
I sure wouldn't mind that...
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dreams-Visions
just like rare, it dsnt change anything. wii its going to be the market leader. machitocaliente
i doubt that this would be a small thing. can you imagine MS with exclusive rights to the top-selling franchises last gen (GTA + Halo)? talk about system-sellers. :shock:
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pins_basic
[QUOTE="machitocaliente"]just like rare, it dsnt change anything. wii its going to be the market leader. Dreams-Visions
i doubt that this would be a small thing. can you imagine MS with exclusive rights to the top-selling franchises last gen (GTA + Halo)? talk about system-sellers. :shock:

I still can't imagine how many consoles they would sell if Microsoft makes this move. If they pushed 1.1M last Dec with Gears, imagine what GTA4 and H3 would do this X-mas. They would have NA locked with Gears 2 and GTA (City) for the future.
dilmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 dilmos
Member since 2006 • 763 Posts
[QUOTE="kcpp2b"]

[QUOTE="E M I N 3 M"]Im a big X360 supporter, but if M$ buys Take-Two...The other systems are gonna be hurting & thats bad for gaming on a whole. There's so many sub-divisions of Take-Two, that make all these different types of games in different genres. I dont know man...2K is huge alone, with all their sports titles. I guess we'll soon find out *shrug*Dreams-Visions

meh. WCW was never on the WWF's level anyway. :P Macho Man Randy Savage > WCW :D

WCW won the ratings war for almost a year and a half dude. WCW was wrestling long before WWWF dropped a letter off the front of it's name.
SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
Put it this way:  If Microsoft buys Take-Two, I'll quit playing video games.  Period.
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Runningflame570
Put it this way: If Microsoft buys Take-Two, I'll quit playing video games. Period.SergeantSnitch
Retro-gaming FTW!