MGS vs Splinter Cell vs Thief

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ClawKiller
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts

Which Stealth series do you think is better?

Metal Gear Solid games, although good, arent really Stealth games, you can just kill everyone in the room for instance. And theyres the non-stealthy boss battles.It's also got a ridiculous storylinewhich is like a well written fan fiction (Cyborg Ninjas and Walkinh Tanks?:?)

Splinter Cell is much better in Stealth than MGS. You can do much more with the character, its got a believable storyline, and its much more adult than MGS in my opinion. It just needs to become non-linear.

Thief series is awesome! Theres so many reasons for it, the setting is uniqu, Deadly Shadows was non-linear, and althought the storyline is abit contrived, Garrett is a great character. If it evolves abit, it could become stronger than Splinter Cell. Didn't THeif do stealth before Metal Gear Solid came out as well?

Dicuss :P

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

From the list, as an actual Stealth game, Splinter Cell.

As a better game overall, mgs.

This is not having played mgs 4 though.

darkenedsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 darkenedsquire
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts
Well I'm going with theif because well I loved that game the first person view felt more immersive, however I would like to point out the original metal gear was a NES game so in answer to your question no theif didn't do stealth before metal gear.
loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Even though i really like mgs4 id still have to say splinter cell over all because i prefer its realistic world more so than metal gears sci fi one.I never played thief so i cant comment about it.
ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ClawKiller

Well I'm going with theif because well I loved that game the first person view felt more immersive, however I would like to point out the original metal gear was a NES game so in answer to your question no theif didn't do stealth before metal gear.darkenedsquire

I said Metal Gear Solid, not Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake. Thief: The Dark Project did 3D stealth first I think.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
Splinter Cell with MGS in 2nd. I haven't played a Thief game before though.
notoriousmatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 notoriousmatty
Member since 2004 • 470 Posts

I agree that mgs has moved away from pure stealth and now I like splinter cell as a pure stealth game.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
Thief.
tiger35010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 tiger35010
Member since 2004 • 859 Posts
i like MGS for gameplay & story, SC for realism and shadows, Thief for being allowed to roam around, pickpocket, shadows, and being a thief :P
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

MGS should not be there, its not really a stealth game.

You can go stealthy, but its more action orientated.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
SC is the greatest stealth series of all time, MGS is NOT, MGS is like a action game with some stealth but its stealth is WEAK compared to the awesomeness of SC, SCCT is the greatest or one of the greatest game of all time, anyone who has played it on xbox would agree with me
clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts
MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.
ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ClawKiller

MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.clintos59

Metal Gear Solid 4 did not start the stealth genre, we had Splinter Cell and THeif and everything way before Metal Gear Solid 4 came out. Youre saying the stealth genre has only been on the map since Thursday. :?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Castle Wolfenstein was the first stealth game.

MGS is more of an action game than stealth than Splinter Cell or Thief.

However Thief is much better than Splinter Cell (which really is a spawn of Thief)

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Which Stealth series do you think is better?

Metal Gear Solid games, although good, arent really Stealth games, you can just kill everyone in the room for instance. And theyres the non-stealthy boss battles.It's also got a ridiculous storylinewhich is like a well written fan fiction (Cyborg Ninjas and Walkinh Tanks?:?)

Splinter Cell is much better in Stealth than MGS. You can do much more with the character, its got a believable storyline, and its much more adult than MGS in my opinion. It just needs to become non-linear.

Thief series is awesome! Theres so many reasons for it, the setting is uniqu, Deadly Shadows was non-linear, and althought the storyline is abit contrived, Garrett is a great character. If it evolves abit, it could become stronger than Splinter Cell. Didn't THeif do stealth before Metal Gear Solid came out as well?

Dicuss :P

ClawKiller

I think I'll take the better game :) (MGS4).

All stealth and action fans alike should definitely play MGS4. It re-invents the stealth-action genre.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Thief is easily better stealth game than SC and MGS combined, whether or not one considers it a better overall game is a different matter, but when it comes to stealth both SC and especialy MGS are simply a joke
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
After playing MGS4....i really have to vote for MGS4.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdrianWerner

MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.clintos59

Tenchu was released before the first MGS

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts

MGS should not be there, its not really a stealth game.

You can go stealthy, but its more action orientated.

NinjaMunkey01

??? MGS is meant to be played stealth and is truly better when played that way. Just because you get trigger happy doesn't mean its not a stealth game. I guess shame on Kojima for giving us so many gameplay options huh? I can shoot everything to pieces in Double agent and most of Chaos Theory. Doesnt stop them from being stealth games does it?

If I can get through a game with no kills and without being seen I believe it is a stealth game. MGS falls into that criteria.

On topic I have to go with MGS as well. You have so many more options as how to handle the objective. And lol @ people always calling SC realistic. Sure the stories are realistic/boring, but look at the gameplay mechanics.

Snake can walk, run, crawl, roll forward or to the side, crouch, go prone, ledge hang and perform realistic CQC moves. Things a real soldier can do.

Sam Fisher scales buildings like spiderman, hangs upside down from pipes that would easily break just to snap necks, does the freakin splits in alleyways, and pulls soldiers over ledges while miraculously catching himself before falling, but somehow still cant even manage to go prone. Realistic huh?

Both games are far from realistic for the sake of fun gameplay.

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 treelog82

[QUOTE="clintos59"]MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.AdrianWerner

Metal Gear was out in 1987 so yes it came before everything else. And I believe the idea for SC Conviction was tossed out and Ubi had to start over.

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clintos59

[QUOTE="clintos59"]MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.ClawKiller

Metal Gear Solid 4 did not start the stealth genre, we had Splinter Cell and THeif and everything way before Metal Gear Solid 4 came out. Youre saying the stealth genre has only been on the map since Thursday. :?

I meant the mgs series, lol.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="clintos59"]MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.treelog82

Metal Gear was out in 1987 so yes it came before everything else. And I believe the idea for SC Conviction was tossed out and Ubi had to start over.

first of all he was speaking about MGS, second there were stealth games before the first Metal gear, including Castle Wolfenstein and Great Escape

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clintos59

[QUOTE="clintos59"]MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.AdrianWerner

Dude the first tenchu game was a ps2 game. MGS started on the ps1 around 1986-1987

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kez1984
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="clintos59"]MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.clintos59

Dude the first tenchu game was a ps2 game. MGS started on the ps1 around 1986-1987

The ps1 was around in 1987?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AdrianWerner

clintos59

ermm...wat? First of all Tenchu started on PS1. secpmd MGS was also released first on PS1 in 1998, half a year after Tenchu.

1986 was when Metal Gear started, Metal Gear, not Metal Gear Solid and it was on MSX, not PS1 (which didn't even exist on paper back then)

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clintos59
[QUOTE="treelog82"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

first of all he was speaking about MGS, second there were stealth games before the first Metal gear, including Castle Wolfenstein and Great Escape

But what series made the stealth action as big as it is today? Yes the mgs series is what made stealth as popular as it is today and because of its success so many games try an top it but cant, from syphon filter to splinter cell, to tenchu and many other stealth games. Everyone has there own opinion but the fact is mgs series>>>over any other stealth series and is why Kojima and the mgs series has its rightful place as having the greatest stealth action series in game history.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdrianWerner

But what series made the stealth action as big as it is today? Yes the mgs series is what made stealth as popular as it is today and because of its success so many games try an top it but cant, from syphon filter to splinter cell, to tenchu and many other stealth games. Everyone has there own opinion but the fact is mgs series>>>over any other stealth series and is why Kojima and the mgs series has its rightful place as having the greatest stealth action series in game history.

clintos59

I find it funny actualy, because it is indeed MGS that made the genre popular and yet it's not influential at all gameplay-wise, as other devs copied THief and Tenchu instead of MGS, which is pretty weird.

Still, that's besides the point, the fact remains that THief is the greatest stealth series ever made and it's stealth gameplay make MGS look like a joke in every way. YOu might like MGS better, but it's definitly inferior stealth game

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 treelog82
[QUOTE="clintos59"]

AdrianWerner

I find it funny actualy, because it is indeed MGS that made the genre popular and yet it's not influential at all gameplay-wise, as other devs copied THief and Tenchu instead of MGS, which is pretty weird.

Still, that's besides the point, the fact remains that THief is the greatest stealth series ever made and it's stealth gameplay make MGS look like a joke in every way. YOu might like MGS better, but it's definitly inferior stealth game

Damn I love thief, but have you even played an MGS since MGS1? Im sure you would eat those words if you did.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mingo123

Offtopic: I cant find MGS1 :cry: should I get Twin Snakes for gamecube? any MGS fan advice would be appreciated

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdrianWerner

Damn I love thief, but have you even played an MGS since MGS1? Im sure you would eat those words if you did.

treelog82

I have. And it did improve a lot compared to MGS1(which was in reality slightly evolved Pacman), but it;s still leagues behind Thief as far as stealth gameplay goes

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kez1984
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="clintos59"]

treelog82

I've played mgs 1/2/3 and thief stealth wise...is still better.

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ClawKiller
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="treelog82"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="clintos59"]MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.clintos59

Thief: The dark Project came out in 1998. same year as MGS, but Thief was the first truly 3D stealth game, you had to look up and be aware of your surrounding, but MGS was essentially played in 2D with 3D graphics. THeif is just better than MGS series, and non-linear.

IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IgorVitaly
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and then Thief. Atleast those games got decent AI instead of borderline broken/stupid AI.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

Offtopic: I cant find MGS1 :cry: should I get Twin Snakes for gamecube? any MGS fan advice would be appreciated

mingo123

Get Twin Snakes as the gameplay is better, tbh. Some of the cutscenes are more over the top though.

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clintos59
[QUOTE="clintos59"]

AdrianWerner

ermm...wat? First of all Tenchu started on PS1. secpmd MGS was also released first on PS1 in 1998, half a year after Tenchu.

1986 was when Metal Gear started, Metal Gear, not Metal Gear Solid and it was on MSX, not PS1 (which didn't even exist on paper back then)

Nah your right about the dates, my memmory of the dates are forgotten but yeah mgs is still what has made stealth action as big as it is today. Thats all I meant. It didnt start the genre but it has made the genre as big as it is today.

the_one34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_one34
Member since 2004 • 1105 Posts

mingo123

MGS1 is better, still a classic. TTS has MGS2 gameplay elements which imo completely ruin some parts of the game because it wasn't built to have FPS aiming.

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 treelog82

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and then Thief. Atleast those games got decent AI instead of borderline broken/stupid AI.IgorVitaly

Uh..SC games have awful AI! Very 2 dimensional. They are either greatly over aware, or under aware. MGS2 AI>>>>>Every SC. Since MGS2 the MGS series has given very layered AI with multiple pattern branches. The MGS AI might not be geniuses, but they provide experimental value for a fun experience. And games are about having fun right? Far from broken AI considering it stands as one of the major unique aspects of the series.

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clintos59
[QUOTE="clintos59"]

AdrianWerner

So please show me where thief is now days? And here is proof of mgs being the best stealth series and why Kojima was voted as one of the greatest ICONS of gaming. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU26CGM1exk&feature=related

IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IgorVitaly
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts

[QUOTE="IgorVitaly"]Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and then Thief. Atleast those games got decent AI instead of borderline broken/stupid AI.treelog82

Uh..SC games have awful AI! Very 2 dimensional. They are either greatly over aware, or under aware. MGS2 AI>>>>>Every SC. Since MGS2 the MGS series has given very layered AI with multiple pattern branches. The MGS AI might not be geniuses, but they provide experimental value for a fun experience. And games are about having fun right? Far from broken AI considering it stands as one of the major unique aspects of the series.

MGS4 has horrible AI that is fact, just watch these videos for proof of concept. It is as simple as that. SC atleast got half decent AI. MGS2 and 3 AI was almost fully scripted i ntheir behavior as their actions could be forseen when replaying, time after time. Or are you implying PS2 was bettersuited for doing AI than PS3?

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6627_en.html

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mingo123
Get Twin Snakes as the gameplay is better, tbh. Some of the cutscenes are more over the top though.thrones

MGS1 is better, still a ****c. TTS has MGS2 gameplay elements which imo completely ruin some parts of the game because it wasn't built to have FPS aiming.

the_one34

well I cant find Twin Snake as well lol :( looks like ill have to use ebay and buy used crap :cry: anyways so are there any major differences between MGS1 and MGS TTS? or is FPS the only difference + better graphics in TTS? im buying it to know the story really before I get MGS4, also I will have to buy PS1 memory card if I get MGS1 coz u cant save data on ps2 mem card

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ClawKiller
[QUOTE="treelog82"]

[QUOTE="IgorVitaly"]Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and then Thief. Atleast those games got decent AI instead of borderline broken/stupid AI.IgorVitaly

MGS4 has horrible AI that is fact, just watch these videos for proof of concept. It is as simple as that. SC atleast got half decent AI. MGS2 and 3 AI was almost fully scripted i ntheir behavior as their actions could be forseen when replaying, time after time. Or are you implying PS2 was bettersuited for doing AI than PS3?

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6627_en.html

Thief has got the best AI out of all of these games. What other game is there when there is two guards, both with swords, corner you, you climb up a wall, and one guard runs off to get an archer guard, whilst the other stays and watches you. It's so lifellike.

Muzzle_Flashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Muzzle_Flashes
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
[QUOTE="ClawKiller"]

So, clawker, how come kojimas in the guniess records for stealthe genre and ubisoft isn't?Guniess or however you spell it>You

Also, mgs has been out since the 80's, splinter cell came out in like 2001, your other point just got invalidated too...

I think splitner cell is the superior stealth game because i like gritty realistic games with more of a focus on reality and realistic pliots and ideas, mgs being in a completely other century and all, and not the reaslism, turns me off stealth wise, but i think the mgs series is better overall, but when it comes to stealth, ubi got it locked...

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clintos59

Thief The Dark Project Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01oPyXTIFys

vs

Metal Gear Solid Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWPirtUwrIs&feature=related

And u trying to tell me thief is better then mgs1, lol. Anyways im off to work and mgs>>thief. :)

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ClawKiller
[QUOTE="clintos59"][QUOTE="ClawKiller"]

[QUOTE="clintos59"]MGS4 didnt start the stealth genre but it sure put it on the map and is why it is the best stealth action series in the history of gaming and for its success has brought syphon filter, and splinter cell, and even tenchu and many others in the genre. MGS4 has set the bar for stealth action and lets see or Splinter Cell Conviction can dethrone MGS4.Muzzle_Flashes

So, clawker, how come kojimas in the guniess records for stealthe genre and ubisoft isn't?Guniess or however you spell it>You

Also, mgs has been out since the 80's, splinter cell came out in like 2001, your other point just got invalidated too...

I think splitner cell is the superior stealth game because i like gritty realistic games with more of a focus on reality and realistic pliots and ideas, mgs being in a completely other century and all, and not the reaslism, turns me off stealth wise, but i think the mgs series is better overall, but when it comes to stealth, ubi got it locked...

What exactly are you saying?

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ClawKiller

vs

And u trying to tell me thief is better then mgs1, lol. Anyways im off to work and mgs>>thief. :)

clintos59

Just because you dont liek the medieval setting. Most of thar MGS video is them talking, at least in Thief youre doing something all the time

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

In terms of stealth, Splinter Cell's at the top of my list. Thief isn't there only because there hasn't been a new one.

I can appreciate why people love Metal Gear, but it's a little too campy-crazy for me to get into. But it's whacky, light fun. I get that.

However, mechanically, move for move, gadget for gadget, Splinter Cells is the superior stealth game.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AdrianWerner

vs

clintos59

Well.. the MGS video is awful gameplay wise compared to that Thief video, so yeah, obviously PC wins

xX0LDSCH00LXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xX0LDSCH00LXx
Member since 2007 • 1423 Posts

Splinter Cell fer the easy win.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
MGS
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="clintos59"]

clintos59

So please show me where thief is now days? And here is proof of mgs being the best stealth series and why Kojima was voted as one of the greatest ICONS of gaming. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU26CGM1exk&feature=related

What does that have to do anything with their stealth gameplay? Oh and where is THief now? In may this yeear there have been about 30 high quality long fan missions released for Thief or Thief2. And it already has been 8 years since THief2 release and 10 since Thief1. And yet people still make couple great long FMs every week. That's how well it's gameplay has hold up. MGS already aged very badly gameplay-wise and nobody but masochists and absolutely hardcore fans play it now. MGS4 gameplay will be forgotten while people will still play T2 regularly. THat;s how better the gameplay is. It has been 10 years since THief and Kojima and his team still didn't manage to even catch up to Thief's stealth, maybe ten years from now somebody will finally match Thief's stealth, but I'm loosing hope