Mass Effects Chris explains what went wrong with ME screen shots (link)

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MoneyGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MoneyGa
Member since 2006 • 337 Posts

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=557001&forum=104

I knew this game wasnt downgraded I can wait for it =]

"The whole truth of the matter is that the person at BioWare who took those screenshots made a mistake. People in our industry don't admit this much, but we do make mistakes. The person took those screens at the last minute as they were needed for the article. He did take them in game from areas of the game that worked and then he sent them off to Gamespy. He didn't clear them with Casey and the ME team though. Once they showed up, there was "a few people" upset about them going out when they obviously looked so poor. It was our mistake for releasing 3 screenshots that don't accurately reflect the quality that is going into Mass Effect."

Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Yoruichii
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

"The whole truth of the matter is that the person at BioWare who took those screenshots made a mistake. People in our industry don't admit this much, but we do make mistakes. The person took those screens at the last minute as they were needed for the article. He did take them in game from areas of the game that worked and then he sent them off to Gamespy. He didn't clear them with Casey and the ME team though. Once they showed up, there was "a few people" upset about them going out when they obviously looked so poor. It was our mistake for releasing 3 screenshots that don't accurately reflect the quality that is going into Mass Effect."

MoneyGa
Yea.. but fanboys well still say it was downgraded.
MoneyGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MoneyGa
If the link doesnt work go to mass effect . com and click forums.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
They won't listen, but it's good to know.
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
Anyone whose seen gameplay videos knows that it looks better than those screens.
MoneyGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MoneyGa
[QUOTE="MoneyGa"]

Yoruichii
Yea.. but fanboys well still say it was downgraded.

We will see when the game comes out but thank god the game isnt truely downgraded and all the screen shots we saw in the past I will be playing =]
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
So why not correct the problem and release some new screens?
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts
My thread didn't set this to rest 2 days ago (despite the 250+ posts), so lets hope this one does...
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
Anyone whose seen gameplay videos knows that it looks better than those screens.thirstychainsaw
lol i know.. there are a million videos that show how good ME is and all of a sudden after three screen shots fanboys yell "teh downgrade"....
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 project343

So why not correct the problem and release some new screens?TekkenMaster606
He did. If you read the thing, Chris (for this reason alone) went into a more optimized build and took a brand new screenshot which looks much better:

lol i know.. there are a million videos that show how good ME is and all of a sudden after three screen shots fanboys yell "teh downgrade"....killtactics

E305 trailer (CGI)
E306 trailer
E306 demo
X06 trailer
X06 demo
Viral trailer (possibly CGI)
GT Interview (off-screen, background)

I count 7.

Happyphilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Happyphilter
Member since 2004 • 1347 Posts
yeah, i think cows are just rabid for some lemming blood. i dont think this will even put it to rest haha.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts
that screenshot is SWEET
MoneyGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MoneyGa

The cows eat this one up and it end up to be a mistake.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]So why not correct the problem and release some new screens?project343

He did. If you read the thing, Chris (for this reason alone) went into a more optimized build and took a brand new screenshot which looks much better:

lol i know.. there are a million videos that show how good ME is and all of a sudden after three screen shots fanboys yell "teh downgrade"....killtactics

E305 trailer (CGI)
E306 trailer
E306 demo
X06 trailer
X06 demo
Viral trailer (possibly CGI)
GT Interview (off-screen, background)

I count 7.

haters = owned!

I knew something wasn't right about those three screens.

This new screenshot proves that the optimized portions of ME look just as good as previous trailers.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
So in other words he took direct screen shots of the real game instead putting up some doctored up press release safe ones. People need to realize screen shots from in game look worse than it will in game, and publicity screenshots are unrealistically crisp and clear because they're rendered on a PC.
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts
AMAZING, as always
re-tart356

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 re-tart356
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts
cows=owned
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
So in other words he took direct screen shots of the real game instead putting up some doctored up press release safe ones. People need to realize screen shots from in game look worse than it will in game, and publicity screenshots are unrealistically crisp and clear because they're rendered on a PC.Lazy_Boy88
DING DING DING!! We have a winner!
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 conceru3

So in other words he took direct screen shots of the real game instead putting up some doctored up press release safe ones. People need to realize screen shots from in game look worse than it will in game, and publicity screenshots are unrealistically crisp and clear because they're rendered on a PC.Lazy_Boy88

Tell that to Gears of War

MoneyGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MoneyGa
cows=ownedre-tart356
Yep this is the only thing they had on us and they abused it but now when it was all fixed they got nothing.
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

:roll:

Ahem.

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KeyWii
[QUOTE="re-tart356"]cows=ownedMoneyGa
Yep this is the only thing they had on us and they abused it but now when it was all fixed they got nothing.

It was fixed? Hey, do me a favor and read his quote again. There was absolutely nothing wrong with those screenshots, other than they weren't 'pre-screened' by the head honchos. If anything, those were probably some of the most accurate screenshots you will ever see of Mass Effect up until it's release.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Something went wrong? WTF?
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts

WTF is wrong with this. 

conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 conceru3

[QUOTE="MoneyGa"][QUOTE="re-tart356"]cows=ownedKeyWii

It was fixed? Hey, do me a favor and read his quote again. There was absolutely nothing wrong with those screenshots, other than they weren't 'pre-screened' by the head honchos. If anything, those were probably some of the most accurate screenshots you will ever see of Mass Effect up until it's release.

Not again, it is CONFIRMED those are the worst pics we can see from Mass Effect, ok ? CONFIRMED !!!!

Ad_bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ad_bad
Member since 2003 • 1453 Posts
[QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"]So in other words he took direct screen shots of the real game instead putting up some doctored up press release safe ones. People need to realize screen shots from in game look worse than it will in game, and publicity screenshots are unrealistically crisp and clear because they're rendered on a PC.KeyWii

DING DING DING !!! We have a fanboy :| AFAIK the screenshots were taken form parts of the game which haven't even been fully completed yet :| yea that really represents how the end product is going to look :lol:
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
I knew the game wasn't downgraded....KeyWii has been owned.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KeyWii

[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="MoneyGa"][QUOTE="re-tart356"]cows=ownedconceru3

Not again, it is CONFIRMED those are the worst pics we can see from Mass Effect, ok ? CONFIRMED !!!!

Tell me what was wrong with the latest pictures.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 A-LEGEND
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts

are you EVER going to accept the fact that what your sayign is completly wrong? they released horrible screenshots by accident. that is not what the game actually looks like. every other screen shot and gmaeplay video is what the game looks like. stop going into uber fanboyism.

A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 A-LEGEND
[QUOTE="conceru3"]

[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="MoneyGa"][QUOTE="re-tart356"]cows=ownedKeyWii

Tell me what was wrong with the latest pictures.

they took the pictures from a part of the game that wasnt even done by accident.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

KeyWii, please stop trying to spread nonsense. Those 3 screens didn't look good because they were from UNOPTIMIZED portions of the game. I love your selective reading habits. You take Chris's word for it that the 3 bad screenshots weren't approved, but you disregard him when he explicitly says they were from unpolished portions of a game. What is so hard to understand about the concept of "work in progress"? Some portions of the game look better than others at a working stage. And if you really think the new screen was photoshopped, just go look at the released trailers. They all look better than those 3 screenshots from the unfinished portion. Oh, but I guess those videos were "CGI" too, huh? :roll:
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

Anyone whose seen gameplay videos knows that it looks better than those screens.thirstychainsaw

Exactly the gameplay vids alone I have seen look great 

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 project343

It was fixed? Hey, do me a favor and read his quote again. There was absolutely nothing wrong with those screenshots, other than they weren't 'pre-screened' by the head honchos. If anything, those were probably some of the most accurate screenshots you will ever see of Mass Effect up until it's release.KeyWii

This is partially true. The screenshots weren't approved by Casey, but they weren't indicative of what the final game will look like. Then again, why do I even bother starting an argument with you...

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kcpp2b

[QUOTE="KeyWii"]It was fixed? Hey, do me a favor and read his quote again. There was absolutely nothing wrong with those screenshots, other than they weren't 'pre-screened' by the head honchos. If anything, those were probably some of the most accurate screenshots you will ever see of Mass Effect up until it's release.project343

This is partially true. The screenshots weren't approved by Casey, but they weren't indicative of what the final game will look like. Then again, why do I even bother starting an argument with you...

The gameplay vids alone look better then those screenshots geez 

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 A-LEGEND
[QUOTE="project343"]

[QUOTE="KeyWii"]It was fixed? Hey, do me a favor and read his quote again. There was absolutely nothing wrong with those screenshots, other than they weren't 'pre-screened' by the head honchos. If anything, those were probably some of the most accurate screenshots you will ever see of Mass Effect up until it's release.kcpp2b

The gameplay vids alone look better then those screenshots geez 

the first screenshot ever released by the game looks better than those.

A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 A-LEGEND

Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?Timstuff

because it was never downgraded? because it was just a stupid accident that the devs admitted?

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?

Yeah, excuses from the development team.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kcpp2b

Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?Timstuff

Wow troll much? 

grovestreet12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 grovestreet12
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts

[QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"]So in other words he took direct screen shots of the real game instead putting up some doctored up press release safe ones. People need to realize screen shots from in game look worse than it will in game, and publicity screenshots are unrealistically crisp and clear because they're rendered on a PC.KeyWii

Sound the Alarms!!! We have a Cow in the building!

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Timstuff
Lemmings' reactions to this reminds me of the time John Kerry gave his excuse for why he called US soldiers stupid, and his supporters all instantly assumed he wasn't lying.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?kcpp2b

Wow troll much?

Timstuff is one of the worst fanboys in systems wars what do you expect? 

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kcpp2b

Lemmings' reactions to this reminds me of the time John Kerry gave his excuse for why he called US soldiers stupid, and his supporters all instantly assumed he wasn't lying.Timstuff

He called the soldiers dumb? like "Hey you guys are dumb...alright i'm off."

I guess you're a bush fan then huh?

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Lemmings' reactions to this reminds me of the time John Kerry gave his excuse for why he called US soldiers stupid, and his supporters all instantly assumed he wasn't lying.Timstuff

What a pathetic anaology. Also tell me why anyone is supposed to believe your "word" over the "proof" of the devs. Your word means nothing as you can't back it up with anything but your own fanboyism. 

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
Cows still don't listen
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Lemmings' reactions to this reminds me of the time John Kerry gave his excuse for why he called US soldiers stupid, and his supporters all instantly assumed he wasn't lying.kcpp2b

I guess your a bush fan then huh?

I don't like how the war has been mismanaged as much as the next guy, but I think John Kerry would have been even worse. But anyway, Kerry was talking to a bunch of students and said (I paraphrase) "If you can successfully navigate your way through our education system, you'll make it. But if you can't, then you get stuck in Iraq." He basically said that if you're dumb you'll end up in the army, which implies that our soldiers are all educational failures (aka stupid).
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 project343
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?

I trust my favorite developer's words more then these blind cows, thank you.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Timstuff
[QUOTE="project343"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Lemmings' reactions to this reminds me of the time John Kerry gave his excuse for why he called US soldiers stupid, and his supporters all instantly assumed he wasn't lying.Blackbond

What a pathetic anaology. Also tell me why anyone is supposed to believe your "word" over the "proof" of the devs. Your word means nothing as you can't back it up with anything but your own fanboyism.

Lemmigns are just as bad when it comes to the downgrades in PS3 games that the developers say they'll fix. I'm just giving you guys a taste of your own medicine while I have the opertunity. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll drudge up some supposedly terrible article about PS3 tomarrow that will make you forget all about this.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 A-LEGEND
[QUOTE="project343"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Excuses, excuses... :roll: When will Lemmings accept that no console is immune to the evil that is visual downgrades, including their own?Timstuff

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Lemmings' reactions to this reminds me of the time John Kerry gave his excuse for why he called US soldiers stupid, and his supporters all instantly assumed he wasn't lying.Blackbond

Lemmigns are just as bad when it comes to the downgrades in PS3 games that the developers say they'll fix. I'm just giving you guys a taste of your own medicine while I have the opertunity. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll drudge up some supposedly terrible article about PS3 tomarrow that will make you forget all about this.

that would have to be because no 360 games to date have been downgraded while many of the PS3s have been. now, be a fanboy, ask which ones, so i dont answer you and you start a picture war. dont even start.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kcpp2b
[QUOTE="kcpp2b"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Lemmings' reactions to this reminds me of the time John Kerry gave his excuse for why he called US soldiers stupid, and his supporters all instantly assumed he wasn't lying.Timstuff

I guess your a bush fan then huh?

I don't like how the war has been mismanaged as much as the next guy, but I think John Kerry would have been even worse. But anyway, Kerry was talking to a bunch of students and said (I paraphrase) "If you can successfully navigate your way through our education system, you'll make it. But if you can't, then you get stuck in Iraq." He basically said that if you're dumb you'll end up in the army, which implies that our soldiers are all educational failures (aka stupid).

So he called them dumb or stupid even though he didn't? Nice spin. The he was making had nothing to do with that. If you seen how many recruiters went to poor neighbohoods what would you explanation be then huh?

What a joke to say he is calling them that, you need help m friend butI shouldn't be surprised coming from a person who thinks Kerry would be worse then Bush. I mean you're right Kerry probably woulnd't have led us into war blindly and led over 30,000 troops to be C.O.W's or over 3000 dead. Or make the world despise american after the world gave their hand to them right after 9/11...yeah Kerry isn't that good. LOL