Mass Effect Amasses One Million Copies Sold , halo3 still going strong

• 160 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/mass-effect-amasses-one-million-copies-sold/18805/?biz=1

Microsoft has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that BioWare's critically acclaimed RPG is off to a red hot start with one million copies sold in less than three weeks.

Posted by GameDaily Staff on Monday, December 10, 2007

In a special Ad Watch column on the Xbox 360 marketing strategy this holiday season, Jeff Bell, Corporate Vice President of Global Marketing for the Xbox 360, has revealed to GameDaily BIZ that sales for BioWare's blockbuster role-playing game Mass Effect are better than perhaps many industry watchers were expecting.

Prediction market the simExchange pegged Mass Effect at around 328,000 units for November (the title released on Nov. 20). That said, in less than three weeks on the market, the game has more than tripled the predicted November total. "We've... seen a strong response to both Halo 3 sales with more than 5 million, and Mass Effect which has sold more than a million copies in less than three weeks," noted Bell, highlighting consumers' reaction to Microsoft's holiday push.

Bell did not specify whether the one million figure is a global data point or for the U.S. only (Update: it's a worldwide sales total). Nevertheless, one million sold in under three weeks is a fantastic start and yet another reason for Microsoft to do everything in their power to keep the franchise exclusive to Xbox 360.

While Microsoft holds the exclusive publishing rights to the first Mass Effect, Electronic Arts' purchase of BioWare/Pandemic means that EA now holds the rights to the valuable IP. Microsoft has said multiple times since the acquisition that "we'll be talking to EA and BioWare in the weeks to come." Whether or not an exclusivity deal can be reached is anybody's guess, but with one million sold already Microsoft just got more incentive.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Woot! Another million seller for the Xbox 360. They just keep comin'!
jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jackvegas21
Member since 2007 • 3157 Posts
Thats pretty cool, for Mass Effect at least. Not too big on Halo 3 but I respect it.
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
awesome. I love both of those games. Beat Mass Effect once and i'm going to go through it again as soon as my bro is done borrowing it; and Halo 3 is great as always.
kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kankthetank
Member since 2003 • 4212 Posts
This is great news. Now I'm positive Mass Effect 2 will be a sure thing :)
jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jackvegas21

It's nice that they sold 1 million copies to retail.

-Renegade

I know right. Only PS3 sells games to people, 360 has to sell games to stores. What a rip.

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts

Haters already arrived !

:lol:

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

-Renegade

zing, high five. niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

Mass Effect = The Greatest Game of All Time, IMO :D

I'm glad to see it selling so well; it looks like it'll reach another "Gears of War" milestone, or perhaps near to it.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

-Renegade

No reason to try to spin this, -Renegade.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Great news for Bioware and Microsoft.

I'm stuck in ME right now, it's frustrating driving around random barren planets trying to find some chick.

And for some reason I can't get back to my spaceship :|

/rant

ChristopherM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChristopherM80
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

BioShockOwnz

dont get me wrong, sony has its faults also.. But you know how MS like to rely on those "Sold to retail" numbers more often than not

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 istreakforfood

Great news for Bioware and Microsoft.

I'm stuck in ME right now, it's frustrating driving around random barren planets trying to find some chick.

And for some reason I can't get back to my spaceship :|

/rant

fuzzysquash

use the map and the marker.

while you are in the mako press x and you will have the option of going back the normandy.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

This is the reason EVERY 3rd party game needs to release on the 360. 360 + great game = million seller

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts
dont get me wrong, sony has its faults also.. But you know how MS like to rely on those "Sold to retail" numbers more often than notChristopherM80
Don't be ignorant. Sony and Nintendo also use shipped numbers.
-PS360FTW-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -PS360FTW-
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts
Great news,mre 360 devs will waant to make 360 games now:)
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

BioShockOwnz

I'm not the one spinnnig this it's just like they sold 10.4 million 360s last year. :roll:

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]

ChristopherM80

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

BioShockOwnz

dont get me wrong, sony has its faults also.. But you know how MS like to rely on those "Sold to retail" numbers more often than not

You are right M.S. relies on "sold to retail" #'s for sell thru for consoles but Sony relies on amount shipped into warehouses for their #'s. Which one is the liar? The one that actually sold to retail or the one that shipped into their own warehouses and didn't actually sell thru to retail?

kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kankthetank

BioWare deserves the sales. This is a game which they've obviously put a lot of hard work into it. Not only did they create their own original Sci Fi lore but they've showed us how story-telling in games can be cinematic, interactive and fun at the same time. Sure, it isn't the most polished product out there, but now that they have their framework already down, hopefully these quirks will be addressed in the 2nd game..........And who knows, maybe a patch for the first game will be released soon.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
Eh....they need to take a bit more of a risk with Mass Effect. Now that they got the story in check, concentrate on the gameplay. If not, I'm going to have to go with Dragon Age. And I don't want to have to romp through a medieval clichefest.
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
Well for anyone that was worried they may never do Mass Effect 2 well this should crush any of those doubts.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 istreakforfood
since EA owns bioware now and has the rights to mass effect does this mean they will profit as well?
kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kankthetank

Eh....they need to take a bit more of a risk with Mass Effect. Now that they got the story in check, concentrate on the gameplay. If not, I'm going to have to go with Dragon Age. And I don't want to have to romp through a medieval clichefest.FrozenLiquid

Yeah, I agree. It's not that ME's gameplay is bad, it's pretty good, but has issues. It's easy to forgive them though due to the scope of the game but like you said, hopefully now they can concentrate on the gameplay in ME2 and have a more polished game.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 King_of_Sorrow
Member since 2007 • 1193 Posts

Well for anyone that was worried they may never do Mass Effect 2 well this should crush any of those doubts. Eltroz

I bet Mass Effect 1 and 2 will go to the PS3.

jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jackvegas21
I hope that patch comes out soon. I've taken a break from ME to play COD4(Sabotage is so addicting) but I definately want to go back to playing it.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Eh....they need to take a bit more of a risk with Mass Effect. Now that they got the story in check, concentrate on the gameplay. If not, I'm going to have to go with Dragon Age. And I don't want to have to romp through a medieval clichefest.kankthetank

Yeah, I agree. It's not that ME's gameplay is bad, it's pretty good, but has issues. It's easy to forgive them though due to the scope of the game but like you said, hopefully now they can concentrate on the gameplay in ME2 and have a more polished game.

I'm just angry they didn't evolve the conversation system. I want interruption/annoyingly long pause options! Mass Effect just doesn't feel right without it, as it was promised.
Avatar image for thermovie644064
thermovie644064

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thermovie644064
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Well for anyone that was worried they may never do Mass Effect 2 well this should crush any of those doubts. King_of_Sorrow

I would say ME 2 comes to the PS3 thanks to EA.....unless the big Msoft hands out some cash and alot of it lol

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Well for anyone that was worried they may never do Mass Effect 2 well this should crush any of those doubts. King_of_Sorrow

Nah, after this one there will be ME 2008 and ME Street.
JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JayPee89
Member since 2005 • 3488 Posts
Just further proof that MGS IV and FF XIII will be on the 360. Games sell better on the XBOX 360, it's not smart business to just leave all that money on the table.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 istreakforfood
[QUOTE="kankthetank"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Eh....they need to take a bit more of a risk with Mass Effect. Now that they got the story in check, concentrate on the gameplay. If not, I'm going to have to go with Dragon Age. And I don't want to have to romp through a medieval clichefest.FrozenLiquid

I'm just angry they didn't evolve the conversation system. I want interruption/annoyingly long pause options! Mass Effect just doesn't feel right without it, as it was promised.

have you tried to press x to fast foward their dialogues? worksfor most of them conversations in the game.

King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 King_of_Sorrow
Member since 2007 • 1193 Posts
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Well for anyone that was worried they may never do Mass Effect 2 well this should crush any of those doubts. thermovie644064

I would say ME 2 comes to the PS3 thanks to EA.....unless the big Msoft hands out some cash and alot of it lol

Cash for what? to make it exclusive? lol EA will laugh at M$. I expect ME 1 to come to the PS3 so we can understand what's going on in Mass Effect 2.

Note: I've seen Mass Effect and think it's a lacklusting video game. It's very unappealing; however, evidence shows that EA don't know the meaning of "exclusive".

V_Isle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 V_Isle
Member since 2006 • 1785 Posts
I remember all the idiots who said Mass Effect flopped in sales. Where are they now? The damage control is just delicious. Anyway, mazal tov for Microsoft. Another million seller. :D
kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kankthetank
[QUOTE="kankthetank"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Eh....they need to take a bit more of a risk with Mass Effect. Now that they got the story in check, concentrate on the gameplay. If not, I'm going to have to go with Dragon Age. And I don't want to have to romp through a medieval clichefest.FrozenLiquid

Well this was already mentioned some time before the game was released so we expected that...but yeah, it was a bit disappointing. I'm pretty sure there're a lot of things BioWare scrapped because of development time. Anyway, since the dialogue options pop-up during conversations, maybe BioWare will have an easier time bringing the interruption option back...If they're even willing to do that...It would work sort of like an intimidate choice.

Avatar image for thermovie644064
thermovie644064

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thermovie644064
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts
[QUOTE="thermovie644064"][QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

Cash for what? to make it exclusive? lol EA will laugh at M$. I expect ME 1 to come to the PS3 so we can understand what's going on in Mass Effect 2.

Note: I've seen Mass Effect and think it's a lacklusting video game. It's very unappealing; however, evidence shows that EA don't know the meaning of "exclusive".

If it doesnt look good to you then why do you want it anyway LOL. I dont think you will see this game on the PS3 or part 2 or 3 if they make it that far.why waste money making it for the PS3 look at PS3 game sells they are joke.

JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JayPee89

Nah, MS is publishing the first one, but 2 and 3 are pretty much confirmed multiplat now, with Burger King/McDonalds ads and a Dodge/Ford/Chrysler as the vehicle. Does EA even do exclusives?
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="kankthetank"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Eh....they need to take a bit more of a risk with Mass Effect. Now that they got the story in check, concentrate on the gameplay. If not, I'm going to have to go with Dragon Age. And I don't want to have to romp through a medieval clichefest.istreakforfood

have you tried to press x to fast foward their dialogues? worksfor most of them conversations in the game.

X skips dialogue, but that's not a gameplay feature. That's just for guys that have ADD.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Well for anyone that was worried they may never do Mass Effect 2 well this should crush any of those doubts. JayPee89

Nah, MS is publishing the first one, but 2 and 3 are pretty much confirmed multiplat now, with Burger King/McDonalds ads and a Dodge/Ford/Chrysler as the vehicle. Does EA even do exclusives?

Spore, I believe is one. Mostly PC exclusives.
JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JayPee89
[QUOTE="JayPee89"][QUOTE="King_of_Sorrow"]

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]Well for anyone that was worried they may never do Mass Effect 2 well this should crush any of those doubts. FrozenLiquid

Spore, I believe is one. Mostly PC exclusives.

Spore is on PC and Wii, and they're considering a DS version..
V_Isle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 V_Isle
Member since 2006 • 1785 Posts

If I may....

*laughs uncontrollably alongside fellow 360 owners, ending after a minute or so of continuous laughter*

Mazal tov!

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts
Isn't Crysis an EA "Exclusive?"
100Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 100Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1701 Posts
that game's only been released for weeks :shock:
and ps3 only has 2 million sellers right now :lol:
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
Sold to retail is the most accurate number I would use to record sales. Fanboys have a habit of spinning things to make them negative no matter how logical it is.
Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts

Mass Effect is a cool game. It deserves what respect it gets just like Halo 3. Two great exclusives and Major System sellers!:D

Get Ready the COW's WILL ATTACK!!! This proves that an 8.5 is not a bad score.

100Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 100Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1701 Posts
and cows cry that ME isnt a system seller :lol:
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

1) Good on Bioware for making a great game and good on MS for supporting it. I can't stand it when a great title is doomed to poor sales because the publisher skimped on the advertising. Its just too bad MS didn't do their advertising on GS (ZING!).

2) Sold to retail are the only numbers that really matter, at least to MS as a publisher. Literally all the money they are going to see directly from the sale of Mass Effect is going to be the copies they sell to retailers.Its also the only 100% accurate number (assuming MS isn't fudging the numbers, seeing as how that would be illegal).

3) The Mass Effect trilogy will likely remain on the 360/Xbox 3 (seeing as how ME3 likely won't be out until 2011 at the earliest), with a strong possibility of making its way to the PC. I don't see EA bringing the franchise to the PS3 seeing as how they would only be able to bring ME 2 and 3 to the PS3 (or PS4 for that matter), which makes the game a tough sell to the average PS3 owner. Its like only selling The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on Blu Ray and having the entire trilogy on HD-DVD.

OneShot112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OneShot112
Member since 2004 • 14104 Posts
Great news, now they are definetely going to make a sequel.
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
More proof that Mass Effect 2 will be out next year with Mass Effect 3 following a few months later. Mass Effect Street (staring Snoop Dog) will be made by one of the other EA studios once everyone at Bioware takes their ball and goes home. Who is up for some Mass Effect Underground?
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

This could be a double bladed sword...

Is 1,000,000 sold in 3 weeks enough to keep it on the 360? Yes.

Will E.A see that number and NOT think of what it could make if it was on the PS3 and PC? No.

Fortunately, my new EGM came today and they asked Bioware straight up (as well as an insider for MGS) and they said that MGS will remain the publisher for ME 2 and 3. They said Microsoft considers ME a franchise almost as important as Halo.