Mass Downgrade Effect... (56k)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts

Before posting fanboyish remarks, read the entire post rather then screaming 'TEH DOWNGRADE'.

Okay, for those who haven't seen the new screenshots:

Yes, it looks repulsive, here's the official response to the negative feedback:

[QUOTE="Mass Affect"]
How come EVERY game that looks good always get dumbed down? That conversation shot with the alien looks nothing like the Mass Effect we know. The textures are horribly dumbed down. I knew it was too good to be true.Bioware

I know this is how you feel, but boy this sort of comment just burns my onion.

The game, graphics, sound, whatever has not been "dumbed down". You don't know Mass Effect yet because it isn't done yet. The screenshots you see are actual, in game footage screenshots. This means that if the build that they were taken in doesn't have optimization (which very little does atm) or correct texture renders (same thing) then things don't look great yet. Certainly not how they will look by the time the game is shipped.

Either we can release no new images and screenshots (which you all clamor for and want more of), or we can release them like this and we get "Wow, you guys really dumbed down the game". Maybe instead of making up your mind about how "dumbed down" the game has been, you should try to keep an open mind until the game is done? Just a thought.

Now that that is out of the way, any other questions? :)

Edit: Like the difference in comments between Ginga-Rothman and Dollar Tann. One seems more willing to wait and see, the otehr is all doom and gloom. *sigh*

For a visual reference to the GDC07 build of the game, these areas were obviously much more polished, and closer to the final version:

The attempted ownage can now stop. Good day.

Here's a link to the quote:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=556573&forum=104&sp=0

2nd page.

Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
It still looks better than all Ps3 games available :O
Avatar image for deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
Member since 2004 • 2626 Posts
I'll wait for the actual game to come out.
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts

Holy Jaggies....

I still cant wait for this game though. 

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
I have faith in Bioware.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

:roll:

its going to look amazing (not to mention those screenshots are stretched BIGTIME) 

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
Mass Effect and Gears of War look better than anything on the Playstation 3, so I don't know what the Cows are getting excited about just yet.
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Downgrade approved, llooks like the lemmings great graphics arent looking too good
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts
Are you trying to say that looks bad?  Go check out wii wii games if you want to see bad
Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts

it does look a bit worse.

It still looks pretty good though. 

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
Btw Project, could you link me to where you got the quote? I'd like to read the full discussion
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
"Either we can release no new images and screenshots (which you all clamor for and want more of), or we can release them like this and we get "Wow, you guys really dumbed down the game". Maybe instead of making up your mind about how "dumbed down" the game has been, you should try to keep an open mind until the game is done? Just a thought." well said
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Those pics were released in a totally different resolution...
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Downgrade approved, llooks like the lemmings great graphics arent looking too goodGsSanAndreas
guessing you didn't read the post :roll:
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 project343
Btw Project, could you link me to where you got the quote? I'd like to read the full discussionfuzzysquash
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=556573&forum=104&sp=0 2nd page, and thanks for reminding me. I updated the main post.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hockeyruler12

Those pics were released in a totally different resolution...Wintry_Flutist

yes they were 

BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts
Good enough for such an early build.
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]It still looks better than all Ps3 games available :O

This game isn't available either... You're comparing 360 games that are comming out 6 months from now to current PS3 games, which may I remind you the bulk of which are launch games? Get a life. :|
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 asdasd

"Either we can release no new images and screenshots (which you all clamor for and want more of), or we can release them like this and we get "Wow, you guys really dumbed down the game". Maybe instead of making up your mind about how "dumbed down" the game has been, you should try to keep an open mind until the game is done? Just a thought." well saidlawlessx

Yes that is well said. Anytime pictures of a game that looked great, and it looks a bit worse its a "downgrade". Look at Lair lol. Wait til the damn games are out people :D only a couple months away. I do hope they get rid of those jaggies though. 

ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ImagineGamer
Member since 2007 • 644 Posts
yet it still looks better than ANY ps3 games available. SELF-OWNAGE!!
palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]It still looks better than all Ps3 games available :O

motorstorm
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Yup, it's not fair to judge a game before it's launched. You can get a feel but nothing concrete. I'll wait until it ships and then enjoy it. Hell, I'd probably enjoy anything from Bioware even if it looked like pong.
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 project343
yet it still looks better than ANY ps3 games available. SELF-OWNAGE!!ImagineGamer
Are you trying to claim self-ownage on me? I would hope not.
SuperKnightX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SuperKnightX
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
It still looks better than all Ps3 games available :OGuess_With_ReX
nice joke
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 project343
Those pics were released in a totally different resolution...Wintry_Flutist
Well, that's the resolution in Gamespy's gallery. http://media.xbox360.gamespy.com/media/718/718963/imgs_4.html
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
yet it still looks better than ANY ps3 games available. SELF-OWNAGE!!ImagineGamer
You're comparing a game 6 months from release to games that came out 5 months ago. If there has been any "self-ownage" at all in this topic, it's been from you. :|
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

Downgrade approved, llooks like the lemmings great graphics arent looking too goodGsSanAndreas

Read the quote. 

neojackazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 neojackazz
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts

thanx for the link, any one know the release date?

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 asdasd

neojackazz

Sometime in may i think. 

neojackazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 neojackazz
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts
[QUOTE="neojackazz"]

asdasd

Sometime in may i think. 

thanx a lot looking forward to this one
jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts
i remember when gears of war was first comin out and every new screen cows would say OMG look how bad it looks. then when it released no one said a thing. history repeating itself?
Hir0_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hir0_N
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts
WOT DA ****???? This game looked incredible! And now it looks like crap! Total downgrade z0mg! But seirously wtf hapened? I mean, textures, poly counts, AA lighting. EVERYTHING just got downgraded??
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 project343

neojackazz

There has been no official word, but GameInformer has it listed as June 5th (a very realistic release date). The was officially announced to be late-Spring, so June 5th isn't far off. Linky: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/info/info.htm?CS_pid=200168

WOT DA ****???? This game looked incredible! And now it looks like crap! Total downgrade z0mg! But seirously wtf hapened? I mean, textures, poly counts, AA lighting. EVERYTHING just got downgraded?? Hir0_N

Sarcasm doesn't help. :P

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hockeyruler12

WOT DA ****???? This game looked incredible! And now it looks like crap! Total downgrade z0mg! But seirously wtf hapened? I mean, textures, poly counts, AA lighting. EVERYTHING just got downgraded?? Hir0_N

did you read the article?  the bioware guy said that he guarentees that it will look alot better by launch

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]"Either we can release no new images and screenshots (which you all clamor for and want more of), or we can release them like this and we get "Wow, you guys really dumbed down the game". Maybe instead of making up your mind about how "dumbed down" the game has been, you should try to keep an open mind until the game is done? Just a thought." well said

The simple truth is that people will judge anything they see as final. The will make comments as if the project is complete. I made the mistake of showing my boss progress and he would never understand that it was not finished. So, whatever is shown should represent a final work or it shouldn't be shown at all. The dog demo of Fable 2 worked well since the dog was a finished element in the game.
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Bioware won't let us down. But in all honesty, it's the gameplay here that matters.
El_Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 El_Fanboy
Member since 2002 • 5789 Posts
the only thing is, that gameplay VIDEO shown at E3 was ingame, so the graphics will look like that. if anything, they have gotten better
Me_Ur_Daddy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Me_Ur_Daddy_
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts
ill wait till it comes out but thats soundin like damage control from bioware, even 1up said there was some downgrading in the new build they showed with all the effects.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
Self ownage approved, boy is that embarrassing.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
What you said in the other thread about the GEOW texture loading thing might be the explanation for the really bad graphics in the conversation screen.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
ill wait till it comes out but thats soundin like damage control from bioware, even 1up said there was some downgrading in the new build they showed with all the effects.Me_Ur_Daddy_
You mean 1UP saying something looked different in the character's EYES? And they said, "could this be a design change or downgrade?"
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#42 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Well, just as long as this quote holds true, all will be well :

"This means that if the build that they were taken in doesn't have optimization (which very little does atm) or correct texture renders (same thing) then things don't look great yet. Certainly not how they will look by the time the game is shipped."

Some "anti-PS3" guy tried to post "dumbed down" DEVELOPMENTAL STAGE Lair screens the other day as well, only to get countered with full and actual resolution screens, which of course completely nullified his arguement. Anyway, my point is that the usuage of DEVELOPMENTAL STAGE screens for ANY game, for ANY system in order to try and talk trash about the game, only will end up making the individual doing so look like a complete imbecile. As it is nothing more than an insult to most people's intelligence.

There is absolutely no way that Mass Effect will be released looking like that, lol. Those look about like an EARLY Xbox 1 release as it is, but the final product will of course be fine. This is probably my most anticipated 360 release, come to think of it. Cannot wait. It will be a great game, no doubt. 

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 project343
the only thing is, that gameplay VIDEO shown at E3 was ingame, so the graphics will look like that. if anything, they have gotten betterEl_Fanboy
Not quite. That was Bioware's target goal, they specifically designed those areas to give an estimation on what the game would look like for release. By X06, you saw how the game was actually coming along (not so good), but now you can see that the game is nearing the target. Yes it was in-game, but no, it doesn't mean that the final game will look like the target goal. Games get downgraded for a reason, Lair went through it, and Halo 3 went through it. Why? Well, again, companies set target goals, and fail to meet them when it's in development, but that doesn't mean that the game will look any better or worse then the target goal when it releases. I mean, the Halo 3 E306 trailer was in-engine, right? Well, I'm sure you can make the comparisons by yourself...
Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts

Did people on the first page of this thread even bother to read the OPs comment?

By the looks of it, the answer is no.

alec4ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alec4ducks
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
System wars works on the basis of the thread title and the pretty pictures
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 project343
What you said in the other thread about the GEOW texture loading thing might be the explanation for the really bad graphics in the conversation screen.smokeydabear076
Possibly, but I'll take the developer's word over my own conclusions any day. :)
ill wait till it comes out but thats soundin like damage control from bioware, even 1up said there was some downgrading in the new build they showed with all the effects.Me_Ur_Daddy_
1UP actually said the conversations were downgraded from the E306 showing, which is realistic. Unless Bioware wanted to hit a load time, I couldn't imagine how they would go from exploration character models to conversation character models... But again, at the same time, the game's exploration and combat graphical quality has heavily increased since that build. So it was originally breath-taking conversations, and dirt-quality combat; however, now it's all relatively great quality.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hockeyruler12

[QUOTE="El_Fanboy"]the only thing is, that gameplay VIDEO shown at E3 was ingame, so the graphics will look like that. if anything, they have gotten betterproject343
Not quite. That was Bioware's target goal, they specifically designed those areas to give an estimation on what the game would look like for release. By X06, you saw how the game was actually coming along (not so good), but now you can see that the game is nearing the target. Yes it was in-game, but no, it doesn't mean that the final game will look like the target goal. Games get downgraded for a reason, Lair went through it, and Halo 3 went through it. Why? Well, again, companies set target goals, and fail to meet them when it's in development, but that doesn't mean that the game will look any better or worse then the target goal when it releases. I mean, the Halo 3 E306 trailer was in-engine, right? Well, I'm sure you can make the comparisons by yourself...

there have been gameplay videos, i downloaded one on my 360, full gameplay, it looked AMAZING 

StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
Oh god no this game looks (gulps) Avarge.
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
I'm sure this game will look great when it releases. Even if it looks at all like those first two shots, gameplay counts more than graphics, and if KoTOR has anything to say about it, we should anticipate a great game.