Man, BioShock has to be THE most overrated game Ive ever played.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

digital_soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 digital_soul
Member since 2004 • 1303 Posts

As a soon to be father I dont get a whole lot of time to play video gamesd any more, so until 3 weeks ago I did not own a 360. (I used to own one, sold it after 100 hours of Oblivion as there wasnt anything else coming out I wanted). I finally bought an Elite to play BioShock as it looked like exactly the sort of game I had been dying for since Half Life 2, bot have I been dissapointed. I'm 7 hours in so far and very unimpressed. Here are my major gripes with the game

Enemy AI is nothing special
Locations all very similar (dark, dank, underwater city in ruin-yawn, gibe me some variety please)
Respawning eliminates any need for skill
Hacking becomes very tedious
Not enough reason to ever switch between Plasmids apart from the occasional melt ice, freeze water etc..
Depth of plasmid, weapon, health, abilityupgrade system is not really implemented into the gameplay much. Switching abilities can be virtually ignored on the whole
Enemies get boring and require no real statagy

I really though this game was going to be something special, but it really isnt. I'll buy Gamespots 9.0 (although even that seems high for me), but 9.7 from IGN is just insane for this game which isn't doing anything that Deux Ex didnt do years ago. The only thing is has going for it is a very unique artsty1e and top engine behind it, but the gameplay is nothing special. Half Life Orange Box will kill it for anyone who hasnt played all 3 parts to that yet.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Nice opinion. I still love the game.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
Yeah, still a good game though.
angel-of-rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 angel-of-rain
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
Well I love the game a lot. :D
WarTime71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WarTime71
Member since 2007 • 404 Posts

And why didnt you just blog this???

xboxps2cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 xboxps2cube
Member since 2005 • 1362 Posts

As a soon to be father I dont get a whole lot of time to play video gamesd any more, so until 3 weeks ago I did not own a 360. (I used to own one, sold it after 100 hours of Oblivion as there wasnt anything else coming out I wanted). I finally bought an Elite to play BioShock as it looked like exactly the sort of game I had been dying for since Half Life 2, bot have I been dissapointed. I'm 7 hours in so far and very unimpressed. Here are my major gripes with the game

Locations all very similar (dark, dank, underwater city in ruin-yawn, gibe me some variety please)
Not enough reason to ever switch between Plasmids apart from the occasional melt ice, freeze water etc..
Depth of plasmid, weapon, health, abilityupgrade system is not really implemented into the gameplay much. Switching abilities can be virtually ignored on the whole

I really though this game was going to be something special, but it really isnt. I'll buy Gamespots 9.0 (although even that seems high for me), but 9.7 from IGN is just insane for this game which isn't doing anything that Deux Ex didnt do years ago. The only thing is has going for it is a very unique artsty1e and top engine behind it, but the gameplay is nothing special. Half Life Orange Box will kill it for anyone who hasnt played all 3 parts to that yet.

digital_soul

yea it was overated but its a good game nontheless

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts
many agree with you. i think the game is top quality. loved it.
Mutant_Bug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mutant_Bug
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
I think it was underrated, You're not gonna get a game as good as that in a long, long, long time
Mutant_Bug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mutant_Bug
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts

And why didnt you just blog this???

WarTime71

You got a nice smile like mine

SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
Overrated yes, but not extremely, the game is a high 8 for me.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Yeah, still a good game though.Zaeryn
deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deviates1080
Member since 2006 • 1926 Posts

It's a great game, my only problem with it was the respawning. I manually fixed that while I played though, loading my last save game after every death.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I see that the TC is a PC gamer as well. I think that provides a different prospective. there have been games like bioshock before. while there have been few if any of it's type for console.
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

digital_soul

i really hate people who say things like this about a game that actually tried to be remotely different when there are whole racing and sport franchises that make no attempt to add anything new to the genre.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts
Would you kindly put this in a blog!
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I see that the TC is a PC gamer as well. I think that provides a different prospective. there have been games like bioshock before. while there have been few if any of it's type for console.Ontain
I am also a PC gamer and I agree that Bioshock is overrated and to me it was a big disappointment.
dispator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dispator
Member since 2005 • 570 Posts
Well thats your opinion,now would u kindly go finish the game so u can change it!
Teh_Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Teh_Wii
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Geard of War is the most overated game I have ever played bioshock is asome there's a reason it got a 9.
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 furtherfan

Would you kindly put this in a blog!spinecaton

good one.

WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WeeWeeJumbo
Member since 2005 • 5380 Posts

I think it definitely has some gameplay flaws that a lot of reviewers willfully ignore when they talk about it, but that's because of the game's amazing strengths. It's one of those rare games that succeed in every presentational aspect, and so well that the flaws in its execution are overshadowed. I mean, when was the last time you played a game that was also a comment on Objectivism? Or that bothered to touch on issues like eugenics, the implications of cosmetic surgery, the legitimacy of authority? This is not to mention the score and the voice acting, which are pretty amazing, or, of course, the graphics.

The game is linear, but the gameplay is sandbox-ish, where the player has a lot of options in most combat scenarios. It's possible to fight in a very boring way, but it's also possible (and rewarding) to use clever, alternative solutions, and that adds a lot. I do agree that the gunplay isn't very interesting (as long as you admit that plasmid play is awesome), and I do think they shouldn't have bothered with the Vita-Chambers. I load from my last save whenever I die. The AI is sometimes a little simple. But it's pretty coolwhen a splicer jumps into water after you've set him on fire, then runs to a healing station, only to die at the station because you've hacked it. And Rosies are very good at avoiding proximity mines. The game definitely has its flaws, but in the eyes of most reviewers (and most people who've played it) its strengths outweigh its weaknesses by a wide margin.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts
it's kinda boring for me too....I actually liked condenmed better...thats right I said it:P
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
The main reason I haven't bought the game is because of all the hype. People hype it like crazy, but when i saw it in action (and after playing the demo) it didn't look that amazing. I fought with myself wether i should get the game or not and decided not to get it.
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts
I honestly didn't really enjoy it much either.
Harden_hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Harden_hawk
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts
If you don't like Bioshock, then you should quit gaming, then pass it on to your kid.
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 furtherfan

The main reason I haven't bought hte game yet is because of all the hype. People hype it like crazy, but when i saw it in action(and playing the demo) it didn't look that amazing. I fouht myself wether i should get the game or not and decided not to get it.Cedmln

it's a very well made game though. could be that it's not for you, but it's top quality stuff, i assure you.

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freeload
Member since 2003 • 8139 Posts

digital_soul

It's a 7.5-8 game imo...

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

yeah - because it's not crazy to think that there's something wrong with your gaming tastes after this game still averages AAA with over 30 reviews taken in to consideration, with about 8 perfect 10s.

yeah - no you're totally right, the world is crazy and you are sane and Bioshock is the most overrated game of all time.

Delusion Scale Score = 9.6/10

weird.. that's pretty close to BioShocks average score...

bad82man82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bad82man82
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

Overrated, yes.

Bad, no, it is a great game, have some flaws, but it has one of the most beautiful atmosphere.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
I'm starting to hate this recent trend that all games have to be inovative and new in order to be fun more than the whole multiplayer-generation.
msalz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 msalz1
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

digital_soul

I vote for Heavenly Sword....talk about dumb AI...you can run through the enemy ranks for a good 15 secs before one tries to attack you.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

I'm 7 hours in so far and very unimpressed. Here are my major gripes with the game

Locations all very similar (dark, dank, underwater city in ruin-yawn, gibe me some variety please)digital_soul

7 hours in and you think ever area looks the same? :/ Neptunes Bounty, Arcadia and Fort Frolic ALL look vastly different than what you start in. And being 7 hours in you should ATLEAST have gotten to Neptunes Bounty :/ Your eye for diversity must be non existent, or you are still stuck in the first area :/

Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

lol, they couldn't force you to use certain plasmids because you had a choice of what ones to buy. If a player didn't buy a certain plasmid, he would be screwed.

And yeah the enemy AI isn't anything special but the variety of combat depends on how YOU use the tools that you are given. If you want to just blow through the game with the wrench and electrobolt then do that. If you actually use different plasmids and mods then the game never gets boring because you can get pretty creative in how you kill the enemies.

Difficulty is not the point of this game. Do you honestly think if the developers wanted the game to be difficult they would have included the vita-chambers which do not have any negative effects?

The goal of this game is to lure you into the great story with a high-level of immersiveness. Maybe I'm by myself on this one, but when a games becomes hard the first thing I do is forget the story and focus on beating whichever part of the game is slowing me down. If Bioshock was hard, players would be more inclined to blaze through the levels, as opposed to exploring them at their leisure and collecting the audio diaries and picking up on the other parts of the story. An no matter how powerful you become in Bioshock, isn't there just a small part of you that doesn't feel 100% comfortable when entering a new area?

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

digital_soul

My feelings exactly.

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

I actually have to agree here, the game isn't nearly what I was expecting. I still say it's a great game, but the hype got just a little bit out of hand IMO.

squomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 squomp
Member since 2004 • 120 Posts

As a soon to be father I dont get a whole lot of time to play video gamesd any more...

digital_soul

It's probably going to get worse. I didn't get to play games again until my oldest could play with me. Overall, it was worth it. I enjoy gaming with my kids much more than without them.

Avatar image for ArabianKnight14
ArabianKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArabianKnight14
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts
The game is great,I was one of the few who loved the ending,But it wasnt That game that defines the generation like some people are hyping it up to be,Id give it about an 8.9-9.1 so yeah,its highly overrated.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Its a good game no doubt I think it deserves a 9.2.. Really I think the major flaw in the game is it was dumbed down for consoles.. I garentee if it was directly PC and ported later on, it would have been far more difficult and indepth, like System Shock 2 was.. A huge disapointment of mine was the complete lack of RPG elements, where were they? All I saw was Oblivion style rpg pretending.. Where in the end you can do anything and everything and there were no real decision making that made a difference.. The Moral system is also dumb because its utterly simplistic.. In the end the game really can be completed by a 10 year old..

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

it is a fantastic game and i think it is a tad over rated, i agree with GS 9 completely. The only thing that really bugged me is no death penalty, you die you walk back into that room and try again, it made the game way to easy. With all the said it is one of the best games i have played in awhile

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dr_DudeMan
Member since 2006 • 2794 Posts

digital_soul

All your gripes sound lazy, no offense. First off, put it on hard if you want the best ai. I started the game on hard and am about the same length in and the ai is amazing. Second, the combat system is n00b friendly, yes, but it also lets you be creative. You get as much out of bioshock as you are willing to squeeze out of it. Half you complaints could be made for halflife if you play it on an easier difficulty...and you should have just got a good video card and got the pc version instead of buying an elite just for bioshock...

GGNoRematch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GGNoRematch
Member since 2007 • 368 Posts
Have you reached the twist yet? the game doesn't get good until you get to the twist
GGNoRematch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GGNoRematch
Member since 2007 • 368 Posts

Would you kindly put this in a blog!spinecaton

I guarantee he hasn't got to the twist yet

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts
It is pretty overrated yeah, still a good game.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts

it's kinda boring for me too....I actually liked condenmed better...thats right I said it:Pchikenfriedrice

I agree. In fact I said nearly the same exact thing last week in a post. But both are really only rental plays. But condemned is definitely more FUN than bioshock to me.

elms1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 elms1
Member since 2006 • 273 Posts
I agree. It is a fairly good game, but way overrated in its scoring.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts
Have you reached the twist yet? the game doesn't get good until you get to the twistGGNoRematch
ShmenonPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ShmenonPie
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts
I have to disagree with you, I think it's a bit overrated, but Halo is THE most overrated game I've ever played. It would have been lucky to get AA in my opinion.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Yay! Awesome opinion. BioShock is an amazing game and this is coming from a person who loves Deus Ex, SS2, HL, HL2, and STALKER.

XL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XL83
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

yeah - because it's not crazy to think that there's something wrong with your gaming tastes after this game still averages AAA with over 30 reviews taken in to consideration, with about 8 perfect 10s.

yeah - no you're totally right, the world is crazy and you are sane and Bioshock is the most overrated game of all time.

Delusion Scale Score = 9.6/10

weird.. that's pretty close to BioShocks average score...

3picuri3

Jesus, take a pill buddy. He doesn't like the game, Do you need a tissue? A million game reviewers loved Metal Gear Solid 2, did you? Final Fantasy 7? God of War? World of Warcraft?

Well, if you didn't absolutely love all of the above, YOU ARE CRAZY BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG! The only opinions that matter are professional reviewers, you MUST LIKE every high-rated game because THEES EES RAWSSIA AND VE VILL KRUSH YOU EEF YOU DISAGREE WIV UZ!!!

Avatar image for metalsonicgc2k4
metalsonicgc2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 metalsonicgc2k4
Member since 2004 • 5032 Posts

Overrated yes, but not extremely, the game is a high 8 for me.SuperMario_46

Same here, it's a great game.