Major update for GT5

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

Great update came today for GT5, a LOT of changes in this. Linky to GTPlanet for their list, and here's the list of changes below. This is a great update, many of the changes were things that were negatives for me.

[Major Changes and New Features]
・Remote Racing

[Remote Races] have been added to the bottom left of the [GT Mode] – [Community] screen.
Here you can start a fully automated B-Spec race using yours and your friends' "My Drivers", and gain rewards and experience from it.
For details please see section 8-4 [Remote Races] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu, and also the new "Remote Race" page on gran-tursimo.com, under the GT5 product information section.

・Remote Racing from a Web Browser
In [Remote Races], you can visit the official "gran-turismo.com" website using a web browser, and remotely control your PS3® at home. You can start races, monitor its progress and check results from the website. This is a new playing s t y l e allowing you to play Gran Turismo anywhere.
Sign in from the [GT5 My Home] button on the upper right corner of the website to get started.

・Using the Course Maker in Online Races
You can now use one of the "My Courses" created in [Course Maker] for your online races (in Open Lobby, My Lounge), or select themes and generate courses on the spot. (Please note you'll only be able to use My Courses created after this update).

・Introduction of Performance Points in Online Races
We've now introduced Performance Points (PP), a numerical index of a car's performance for online races. You can set PP restrictions in the online race regulations (in Open Lobby, My Lounge) to limit participating cars.
For details, see 6 -15 [Performance Points] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu.

・Increased Rewards and Experience Online
The amount of rewards and experience gained from online racing (in Open Lobby, My Lounge) have been increased.

・More Event Settings in Online Races
[Auto Race Start Cycle] and [Tire Wear/Fuel Consumption] have been added to the event settings for online races (in Open Lobby, My Lounge).

・More Penalties for Special Events
Penalties for improper driving such as driving off course and hitting walls have been increased for the [Special Events] under [GT Mode] – [GT Life].

・Event Rewards and Experience Adjusted
The rewards and experience gained in [License] and [Special Events] in [GT Mode] – [GT Life] have been adjusted. Experience for A-Spec and B-Spec events have been increased, while rewards have been reduced back down to levels seen before the 1.05 update.

・Car Loan in Events
In A-Spec, B-Spec and [Special Events] in [GT Mode] – [GT Life], you can now borrow cars that your Friends have set to share with friends.
For details see 6-16 [Borrowing and Lending Cars] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu.

・More Car Settings
Gear ratio adjustment, power limiters, and weight adjustment have been added to the settings. For details see [18. Settings Guide] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu.

・Multi-Monitor Feature
From [Options] – [Hardware] – [Multi-Monitor], you can now access the multi-monitor display settings using multiple PS3™ systems.
You can now enjoy Gran Turismo 5 in a wide display environment combining multiple PS3™ systems and TV's/monitors.
For details please see the support section on gran-turismo.com.

[Changes and Additions to Gameplay]
- It is now possible to replay and save [2P Battle] races.
- [Controller Steering Sensitivity] has been added to [Driving Options].
- [Corner Bank Angle] has been added to the section settings in [Course Maker].
- In A-Spec events including endurance races, a confirmation prompt has been added before restarting a race from the beginning.
- In replays, B Spec and while watching races, you can now change viewing targets directly from the screen without having to use a separate window list.
- Personal BGM can now be used when voice chat is disabled in a [Lounge].
- Cars in your garage that are not registered as 'Favorites' can now be used in a [Lounge].
- When tire restriction is enabled in a Lounge regulation, only cars with tires that qualify will be displayed in the garage.
- Driver and car display selections during races will be saved.
- Karts now have [Quick Menu settings.
- You can now select multiple items in some important menu screens, such as when registering your favorite cars in your [Garage].

[AI Adjustment]
- Race choreography and opponent car AI controls for licence tests and A Spec events have been adjusted.
- Opponent car AI controls during B Spec races have been improved.
- The evasive maneuver of opponent cars when a players car blocks the track has been improved.

[Correction of Issues]
- Corrected an issue where it was possible to gain points unfairly in drift trials.
- Corrected an issue where it was not possible to view the 4th sector in the live monitor.
-Corrected an issue where the sound effects would not change when replacing the exhaust system or turbo kit.
- Corrected an issue where the save data becomes unable to load when exceeding a certain file size.

[Other Changes]
- A searchable item called [Race Type] has been added for room creation in the [Open Lobby].
- The lap times for the [X Challenge] in [Special Events] have been adjusted.
- Game save speed has been optimized.
- The HDD access warning message that was displayed at game startup has been disabled for faster startup.
- Car demo backdrops during an [Auto Demo] is now displayed randomly in 4 types (Morning/Day/Night/White) as is in the [Dealership].
- The "S-AWC" integrated four wheel drive system of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X has been adjusted.
- The [Force Feedback Strength] of the Thrustmaster T500RS can now be adjusted across a wider range.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bleehum
10 pages back and I don't see a thread on this, either I'm blind or it's reallllly far back.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

・Remote Racing from a Web Browser
In [Remote Races], you can visit the official "gran-turismo.com" website using a web browser, and remotely control your PS3® at home. You can start races, monitor its progress and check results from the website. This is a new playing s t y l e allowing you to play Gran Turismo anywhere

bleehum

Wait a minute...what? Does this mean I can finally play some GT5 on my PC?

coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

That update makes it seem like a new game almost. Hope Sony and Polyphony continue to update the game to give the fans what they want.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bleehum

ChubbyGuy40

Just took this pic, it seems you have to have GT5 on to do it.

babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 babyeatermax
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts

That update makes it seem like a new game almost. Hope Sony and Polyphony continue to update the game to give the fans what they want.

coltsfan4ever
I'm glad PD is supporting GT5 instead of just deciding to fix everything with a sequel like that other series does.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
Bleehum, we need to resurrect the GT5 hype thread! :D
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bleehum
Bleehum, we need to resurrect the GT5 hype thread! :D Rockman999
It would seem so, hehe.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="coltsfan4ever"]

babyeatermax
I'm glad PD is supporting GT5 instead of just deciding to fix everything with a sequel like that other series does.

That other series doesn't ship broken in the first place though. :P
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

bleehum

OMFGWTF BRB UPDATING GT5 :D :D :D :D :D

Your news is the best news all day now.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

Yeah, there's some UI changes while navigating that they didn't include such as on the used car lot. They changed how just in looks, and there's a check by the car if you already have it. The menus seem faster while you're going through the prompt menus to tune your vehicle, also.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="bleehum"]

bleehum

Yeah, there's some UI changes while navigating that they didn't include such as on the used car lot. They changed how just in looks, and there's a check by the car if you already have it. The menus seem faster while you're going through the prompt menus to tune your vehicle, also.

How long did it take to update?

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

How long did it take to update?

5 minutes or so.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="babyeatermax"][QUOTE="coltsfan4ever"]

Ninja-Hippo

But they ship with less features.:D

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

So all it took was 2 big patches and some other small ones to get this game they way it COULD have been at launch? Impressive, PD. Turn 10 had Forza 3 ready to go in 2 years, and it got AAA! Took you, what, 6 years... to release a game in an unfinished state...

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="babyeatermax"] I'm glad PD is supporting GT5 instead of just deciding to fix everything with a sequel like that other series does.15strong

But they ship with less features.:D

Yeah, like saved tuning sets... wait, no, that incredibly basic feature is missing from GT5 and present in Forza.
mejiseike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mejiseike
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

soooo im afraid to DL this update.... it might take a long time it seems like... lol

and how are the changes?? are the for the better or for the worse?

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

soooo im afraid to DL this update.... it might take a long time it seems like... lol

mejiseike
Takes 5 minutes.
mejiseike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mejiseike
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

[QUOTE="mejiseike"]

Randoggy

Takes 5 minutes.

so its only like 8mb?

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts

I believe the reviewers grade Forza 3 highly for MP and painting. GT5 was made with special attention to vehicle handling and driving in general, rather than unnecessary additions.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

[QUOTE="Randoggy"][QUOTE="mejiseike"]

mejiseike

Takes 5 minutes.

so its only like 8mb?

I believe it's about 300mb, took me 10 minutes, if that. Started the download, starting watching my show, by the time the first commerical came it was done downloading.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I think the only thing i will notice about the update is the actual downloading and installation.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I still think that scoring Forza 3 higher than this game is a joke.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I still think that scoring Forza 3 higher than this game is a joke.kuraimen

GT5 was riddled with problems whereas Forza 3 was reasonably polished, thus the higher score. Why is that difficult to comprehend?

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I believe the reviewers grade Forza 3 highly for MP and painting. GT5 was made with special attention to vehicle handling and driving in general, rather than unnecessary additions.

Mr_Cumberdale

Agreed. It definitely didn't have anything to do with Forza's consistently excellent gameplay or GT5 having one of the most anti-climactic launches in recent memory.

babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 babyeatermax

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]I still think that scoring Forza 3 higher than this game is a joke.GreySeal9

GT5 was riddled with problems whereas Forza 3 was reasonably polished, thus the higher score. Why is that difficult to comprehend?

And GT5 still has the better the driving. But hey, why would you score a racer based on the racing? It's all about which game lets you put pretty decals on your car.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Doolz2024

I still think that scoring Forza 3 higher than this game is a joke.kuraimen
Forza 3 was actually released as a finished and polished product, GT5 wasn't.

I know that's hard for some people to accept, but it's true.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]I still think that scoring Forza 3 higher than this game is a joke.babyeatermax

And GT5 still has the better the driving. But hey, why would you score a racer based on the racing? It's all about which game lets you put pretty decals on your car.

Oh God, not this silly argument.

A game is judged holistically, meaning every element is judged based on how it contributes to the whole. It's not reviewer's fault that GT5 was janky as an entire package.

The whole "paint decals" thing is just in your head. That is not why Forza scored the way it did.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]I still think that scoring Forza 3 higher than this game is a joke.babyeatermax

Slightly better driving. We've been over this. GT5 is not massively better than Forza 3 in the simulation department.
HeavenIceDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HeavenIceDay
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts

Sounds like a good update but i'm pretty much done with GT5. Don't feel like racing the same 24 hour endurance race 10 times to unlock the last race :?

Maybe i'll play it again in a year or so when they completely overhauled the A spec mode lol

babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 babyeatermax

[QUOTE="babyeatermax"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

A game is judged holistically, meaning every element is judged based on how it contributes to the whole. It's not reviewer's fault that GT5 was janky as an entire package.

The whole "paint decals" thing is just in your head. That is not why Forza scored the way it did.

No. It's a driving simulator. The driving is the "entire package" and if the driving isn't better all that other crap is negligible. Every element is judged based on how it contributes to the whole? More like reviewers are shallow. Style over substance for them.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="babyeatermax"] And GT5 still has the better the driving. But hey, why would you score a racer based on the racing? It's all about which game lets you put pretty decals on your car.babyeatermax

No. It's a driving simulator. The driving is the "entire package" and if the driving isn't better all that other crap is negligible. Every element is judged based on how it contributes to the whole? More like reviewers are shallow. Style over substance for them.

The driving is NOT the entire package. That is just plain false. AI, track design, visuals, online infastructure, the design of the career mode are all parts of the package. So is interface. You can deny this until you are blue in the face, but those things are part of the package.

Reviews are not simply going to say, "It's a driving simulator and it has great driving, so we'll forgive the wildly inconsistent visuals, the janky menus, the unintuitive online set up, the grinfest career mode, the lacking AI, etc." No, they will judge it as they judge any other game, as a holistic entity comprised of many different parts.

Your argument is tantamount to say that if a shooter has really good gunplay, that's all it should be judged on. That's ridiculous.

The reviewers are not shallow. You're just misinterpreting their reviews to suit your needs.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
[QUOTE="babyeatermax"][QUOTE="coltsfan4ever"]

Ninja-Hippo

You could have used a better word than broken cause you don't want me to bust out the "bullet cars" videos, now do you? ;) :P
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="babyeatermax"] And GT5 still has the better the driving. But hey, why would you score a racer based on the racing? It's all about which game lets you put pretty decals on your car.babyeatermax

So basically, you're suggesting that they should ignore any and all flaws and only pay attention to the good things about the game? Sorry, bro, doesn't work like that.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="babyeatermax"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Doolz2024

So basically, you're suggesting that they should ignore any and all flaws and only pay attention to the good things about the game? Sorry, bro, doesn't work like that.

Exactly.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
PD just keeps delivering
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Great news.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I've had this game since 2 days ago and since then i've had to sit through a nearly 40min install, then 15mins downloading and installing 1.5 and now slightly less for 1.6 :O

I think i've spent more time installing and updating than i have playing :(

One thing i'd love them to add though, is to include an option in the game to output at 720 only, instead of having to set my PS3 up to do it for every game.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

So all it took was 2 big patches and some other small ones to get this game they way it COULD have been at launch? Impressive, PD. Turn 10 had Forza 3 ready to go in 2 years, and it got AAA! Took you, what, 6 years... to release a game in an unfinished state...

Doolz2024

Regardless, GT5 is a better driving experience. (I own both Forza 3 and GT5).

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Sounds like they want you to play it at work.
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

I'm one of those odd ball guys that actually loved GT5 from the start. Not denying the issues it had, but still the game was great. With every update it gets significantly better. This update is no exception.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

SRTtoZ

It's not the better game overall, though. Slightly better physics do not change the fact Forza 3, from day 1, was an extremely polished, superb racing game. GT5 was not. Only now is it starting to get to the point where it should have been at the time of release. And even now, after the big updates, there's still stuff like the PS2 quality cars that, frankly, are just unacceptable in a game running on current gen hardware. Completely inexcusable.

But anyway, Forza 4 will come out later this year and likely be clearly better than both, and if that's the case, GT5's reign as supposed "most realistic console driving game" will be extremely short-lived.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

Doolz2024

It's not the better game overall, though. Slightly better physics do not change the fact Forza 3, from day 1, was an extremely polished, superb racing game. GT5 was not. Only now is it starting to get to the point where it should have been at the time of release. And even now, after the big updates, there's still stuff like the PS2 quality cars that, frankly, are just unacceptable in a game running on current gen hardware. Completely inexcusable.

But anyway, Forza 4 will come out later this year and likely be clearly better than both, and if that's the case, GT5's reign as supposed "most realistic console driving game" will be extremely short-lived.

But they forgota dding the gear shifting animation lol.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Snugenz

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

Kashiwaba

But they forgota dding the gear shifting animation lol.

Which is the absolute epitome of a racing sim :P.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

Awesome, they made the menus faster, and if you accidently hit "restart" in a race, it'll ask you to confirm it first!

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

[QUOTE="coltsfan4ever"]

babyeatermax

You can only fix something that is broken in the first place. Boom.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I've had this game since 2 days ago and since then i've had to sit through a nearly 40min install, then 15mins downloading and installing 1.5 and now slightly less for 1.6 :O

One thing i'd love them to add though, is to include an option in the game to output at 720 only, instead of having to set my PS3 up to do it for every game.

Snugenz

Why not use automatic settings and let the game/PS3 choose the optimal resolution? I learned pretty much right away it's a moot point to force the PS3 to upscale to 1080P when the TV will do the exact same job anyway. Usually if you try to force the resolution you might get unexpected results (i.e. some games if you try to force Ps3 to display 1080P instead of 720P, you will actually end up displaying 480P instead!)

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Snugenz

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

2Chalupas

Why not use automatic settings and let the game/PS3 choose the optimal resolution? I learned pretty much right away it's a moot point to force the PS3 to upscale to 1080P when the TV will do the exact same job anyway. Usually if you try to force the resolution you might get unexpected results (i.e. some games if you try to force Ps3 to display 1080P instead of 720P, you will actually end up displaying 480P instead!)

I do use optimal and i play on a 1080p tv so it always chooses 1080p, which for some reason is the resolution (think it might be the AA) GT5 looks the worst in. 720p is just alot smoother for GT5. But optimal works perfectly for every other game so i'd prefer to set GT5 to 720p only and let the PS3 decide for the rest.

Get me?. :D

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Snugenz

I do use optimal and i play on a 1080p tv so it always chooses 1080p, which for some reason is the resolution (think it might be the AA) GT5 looks the worst in. 720p is just alot smoother for GT5. But optimal works perfectly for every other game so i'd prefer to set GT5 to 720p only and let the PS3 decide for the rest.

Get me?. :D

GT5 also looks better in 720p for me as well. Aliasing is not as noticeable and the horrid shadows dont look quite as horrid.