Mac Leopard vs Windows PC

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

khamsaiumn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 khamsaiumn
Member since 2005 • 363 Posts
So with the arrival of decent games to the Mac OS X should we distinguish those players from the windows PC players? Even though they are similar so are the consoles and they each have a special name associated with them. What's your take?
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Mac wins PC has no smiley faces when you boot up. Smiley faces FTW!
format_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 format_kid
Member since 2005 • 3527 Posts
I don't get what your asking but I'm getting a new laptop once Leopard comes out! :D
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
My take is that computers are computers, and I don't think we should distinguish between Mac or PC gamers. They're playing the same game.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 musicalmac  Moderator
I don't get what your asking but I'm getting a new laptop once Leopard comes out! :Dformat_kid

I just ordered a MacBook Pro (now that Santa Rosa is in it)!!! I was going to wait until October, but I just couldn't hold off after this stellar update.
format_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 format_kid
[QUOTE="format_kid"]I don't get what your asking but I'm getting a new laptop once Leopard comes out! :Dmusicalmac

I just ordered a MacBook Pro (now that Santa Rosa is in it)!!! I was going to wait until October, but I just couldn't hold off after this stellar update.

Haha yeah I don't blame you. I'm hoping to get a Macbook Pro but...we'll see how that goes. Well at least I'll get something better than I have, it started crapping out and I can't use garageband anymore :cry:
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
I don't like Macs ...
khamsaiumn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 khamsaiumn
Member since 2005 • 363 Posts
My take is that computers are computers, and I don't think we should distinguish between Mac or PC gamers. They're playing the same game.musicalmac
But that means a game console is a game console therefore we shouldn't distinguish them. PS3 and 360 play the same games in similar fashion.
Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts
Leopard wins over Vista because the Next Happy Potter game will be available for the Mac in July.:| Personally, I prefer Tiger over Vista overall given the fact the I find it more user-friendly than Windows. As far as gaming goes, Windows will always be the better OS for obvious reasons: it actually has games that are available for it. I was dissapointed when I found out that EA was going to start supporting the Mac. That's not a good sign in my opinion. Blah blah...
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

Hmm proprietery Mac gaming or semi proprietery Vista gaming.

I'll go with Vista, the lesser of the two evils.

Expect yourself required to download everything from some online store called iGaming. They'll give you one level for 60 bucks retail then charge you 10 bucks for each level microtransaction style.

format_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 format_kid

Hmm proprietery Mac gaming or semi proprietery Vista gaming.

I'll go with Vista, the lesser of the two evils.

Expect yourself required to download everything from some online store called iGaming. They'll give you one level for 60 bucks retail then charge you 10 bucks for each level microtransaction style.

NobuoMusicMaker
:| Wow....I'm honestly speechless.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]My take is that computers are computers, and I don't think we should distinguish between Mac or PC gamers. They're playing the same game.khamsaiumn
But that means a game console is a game console therefore we shouldn't distinguish them. PS3 and 360 play the same games in similar fashion.

Can you play PS3 games on 360? Or wii ones on ps3? Exacly

Now Macs even have the same parts inside them as PCs. You can install Windows on Mac and OSX on PC, they're both personal computer systems.

Anyway obviously Windows is better choice. it still has ten times more games for it than macOS and even the games Mac is getting are released with huge delays most of the time.

wok7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wok7
Member since 2003 • 2034 Posts
Nothing will ever make Mac > Windows, sry.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
No, because real gamers wouldent buy a Mac!
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

[QUOTE="format_kid"]I don't get what your asking but I'm getting a new laptop once Leopard comes out! :Dmusicalmac

sorry no 800mhz fsb for your mac, apple has refussed to upgrade the fpb saying 633mzh is fine

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

Leopard wins over Vista because the Next Happy Potter game will be available for the Mac in July.:| Personally, I prefer Tiger over Vista overall given the fact the I find it more user-friendly than Windows. As far as gaming goes, Windows will always be the better OS for obvious reasons: it actually has games that are available for it. I was dissapointed when I found out that EA was going to start supporting the Mac. That's not a good sign in my opinion. Blah blah...Comduter

user friednlyness is all what your used to, I can fine things in wondows in 1 sec while I'll spend a few mintes finding it on a mac

mike7677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mike7677
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
Just a few stray thots:

1.  Gaming on a Mac has always been a joke.  I read somewhere, thay said that at Apple.

2.  If you paid more than a PS3 for a computer, than you wasted your money.  Please tell me that your using your PC (or Mac for that matter) more than gaming and surfing the net.  *Hint* sarcasm here: $2000 for what equates to be a gaming console.  Shrewd.

3.  My Mac will never see a game on it.  This thing is a tool.  No more.  No less.
wok7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wok7
Member since 2003 • 2034 Posts
Nintendo would probably be the only company capable of making gaming popular on Macs.
2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
yeah, windows, the lesser of two evils... and you'll see more games on it too since you don't have to pay licensing fees to bring out stuff on windows while that is the case with mac, if i recall correctly. Then again, the reason for this is that microsoft has a virtual monopoly and as such can't charge for programs on their os because it's abuse of market position or some legal bollocks like that..
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 musicalmac  Moderator
A couple quick facts. 

At WWDC, Apples big developer conference yesterday, EA's co-founder stated that there was a mass migration to Macs by their employees.

The new MacBook Pro does indeed have a 800mhz fsb. Where the heck did you get 633mhz :|

MacOS X does NOT install on non-Apple machines unless done illegally. 

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AdrianWerner

musicalmac

It's only illegal in US, European laws for example give the ownership of OS to the buyer, he can install it wherever he can, even on PC

bdever32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 bdever32
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

A couple quick facts.

At WWDC, Apples big developer conference yesterday, EA's co-founder stated that there was a mass migration to Macs by their employees.

The new MacBook Pro does indeed have a 800mhz fsb. Where the heck did you get 633mhz :|

musicalmac

Well 800mhz is not tooexciting anymore. I'm running at 1333 right now. But I imagine since Apples are using the Core 2 Duos now, you can raise the fsb up quite a bit. Then again, I don't know enough about what motherboardsApple uses so I'm not sure.

Still, it's good that they're getting some games. I will stick with whatever has the most games though.

kreestoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kreestoph
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
yeah, posting on my 24'' imac, 

i.............think..........................mac........................................wins. 
seriously. mac wins.
panquecas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 panquecas
Member since 2004 • 1503 Posts
in my country mac s***, they sell "quad core computers" which are actually computers with 2xdual core, it's not exactly the same and they charge like 4000 euros for that.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

i hate MAC OS. they always feel like OS with kids gloves on, like a Hasbro OS with soft rubber bumpers on all the pointy edges. Truly a childs OS.

i personally think people should have to learn to use computers to a degree, it's good to make your brain work :) MAC OS always dumb things down to the lowest common denominator, not a good thing.

kreestoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kreestoph
ive owned 2 pcs, 1 laptop, all on 98se or xp, my sisters comp is on vista, and i baught my mac in september 06, .. xp is the closest thing to fischer price, mac definetly doesnt dumb things down, their OS just has a better interface. 
if you want something that doesnt "dumb things down" you might wanna stick with windows 98 second editon, or linux, 
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 3picuri3

ive owned 2 pcs, 1 laptop, all on 98se or xp, my sisters comp is on vista, and i baught my mac in september 06,.. xp is the closest thing to fischer price, mac definetly doesnt dumb things down, their OS just has a better interface.
if you want something that doesnt "dumb things down" you might wanna stick with windows 98 second editon, or linux,kreestoph

i've used every OS on Mac and PC that's been released in the past 10 years - it's part of my job :) I know what's dumbed down and what isn't. Mac's are IN FACT designed for easy accessbility in terms of hardware and OS - which is a nice way of saying it's made for smacktards that can't navigate a standard OS, or can't be bothered.

i'd rather think while im using my computer than stare at shiny graphical icons and overly intuitive interfaces while i drool on my keyboard.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts
what can you do on macs that you cannot do on PCs?
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 3picuri3

what can you do on macs that you cannot do on PCs?Mystery_Writer

they're better for rendering. that's about it.

they also appeal more to yuppies and people that don't know how to use computers :)

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]what can you do on macs that you cannot do on PCs?3picuri3

they also appeal more to yuppies and people that don't know how to use computers :)

how do you know they're better for rendering?

kreestoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kreestoph
well ive used every os since i grew up on dos, and i dont feel any dumber for using a mac, or that the mac is dumbed down any more than a pc, infact, every single person who toutches this mac other than me is a pc user, and they all have trouble with the interface at first. 
compared to any pc monitor or laptop combo, my mac has a bigger brighter screen, less cords, looks a **** nicer, performes a **** better. doesnt get a single virus. windows applications even perform better on it. 
designers also like mac a **** better, and as someone who uses this **** for home studio, pro tools runs a **** better. 

lets say the sencord words rhyme with truckload 
StormrageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StormrageX
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts
Mac > PC, just not in gaming and as most people here are gamers they like PCs better... I would like to here someone tell me why a PC is better without saying: "But you can play games on Windows"
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 musicalmac  Moderator

My MacBook Pro came in the mail today at work!! I just got it... It's fast.

Why someone would choose Windows over this... I'll never know :?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]what can you do on macs that you cannot do on PCs?3picuri3

Rendering what? In 3D rendering PC makes Macs look like a bad joke.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AdrianWerner

musicalmac

Well..I did choose PC because Windows has much better software support. And since I've been using PCs for 17 years now I don't have any problems with using XP, so OSX wouldn't offer me any benefits. It would only limit my software selection. I contemplated buying Macbook and using it as Windows-only computer, but what's the point really? I just bought a laptop PC, for less money I got stronger PC than Macbook.

I don't see any real reason to get macbook over pc laptop besides the silly "because using macs is cool"

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musicalmac  Moderator

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]

AdrianWerner

Well..I did choose PC because Windows has much better software support. And since I've been using PCs for 17 years now I don't have any problems with using XP, so OSX wouldn't offer me any benefits. It would only limit my software selection. I contemplated buying Macbook and using it as Windows-only computer, but what's the point really? I just bought a laptop PC, for less money I got stronger PC than Macbook.

I don't see any real reason to get macbook over pc laptop besides the silly "because using macs is cool"

You don't have to prove you're a Mac-hater anymore. We get the picture. It doesn't affect me either way.

5th_element

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 5th_element
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
Hay directX10 !!! all hail windows!!!!
cronus233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cronus233
Member since 2005 • 493 Posts

My take is that computers are computers, and I don't think we should distinguish between Mac or PC gamers. They're playing the same game.musicalmac

Okay?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]

musicalmac

You don't have to prove you're a Mac-hater anymore. We get the picture. It doesn't affect me either way.

well, you're a pc hater, so don't be a hypocrite :) I don't hate Macs, they're nicely designed and functional. They don't offer any real advantages over PC though, you just pay for Apple's image and style. I can understand that , sure, for some people image is worth a lot and Macs provide that. But trying to prove Macs are superior to PCs is just silly, it's impossible to do in reality. So why can't Mac zealots just be content with being trendy.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

here's a pretty good power user evaluation of mac osx . i pretty much agree with it.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM0OCwxMywsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

bottom line is that mac is nice but comes at a larger cost. you're bound to a limited hardware selection that will be more expensive and a limited software selection as well. for me if i'm going to be limited i'd rather not have to pay more for it.

mike7677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mike7677
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

musicalmac

How do you like it?

I'm asking because a friend on mine wants a 17" MacBook Pro.  On top of that he wants to do video editing straight from his camcorder to this laptop.  On top of that, he wants to get Final Cut Studio 2.  That software's decent looking.  :)
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 musicalmac  Moderator

well, you're a pc hater, so don't be a hypocrite :) I don't hate Macs, they're nicely designed and functional. They don't offer any real advantages over PC though, you just pay for Apple's image and style. I can understand that , sure, for some people image is worth a lot and Macs provide that. But trying to prove Macs are superior to PCs is just silly, it's impossible to do in reality. So why can't Mac zealots just be content with being trendy.

AdrianWerner

I don't hate PC's. I strongly dislike Windows. It has nothing to do with being trendy.

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]

mike7677

How do you like it?

I'm asking because a friend on mine wants a 17" MacBook Pro. On top of that he wants to do video editing straight from his camcorder to this laptop. On top of that, he wants to get Final Cut Studio 2. That software's decent looking. :)

So far it's fantastic, although I haven't used it a whole ton yet (I just got it ;) ). I do have Final Cut Express HD, and it's an amazing editing program. It puts Adobe Premier to shame. Seriously- shame.

Go for it :)

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
It's a step in the right direction for Apple but Vista has/will have a much stronger hold with games for pc's. But it's not just a OS that puts osx and Vista apart,it's the hardware and this is where Vista potentially kills the chances of osx making a dent in Vista's gaming market. You can't do a whole lot with the ati x1600,gma950 or the new 8600m gt (ok the gma950 can play some games,the x1600 can handle most modern games and so can the 8600m with playable framrates on med settings) ,but when compared to what you can get on the pc it's miles behind. Vista is the way to go for pc gaming in the next 5 years
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blacktorn
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

musicalmac

I don't hate PC's. I strongly dislike Windows. It has nothing to do with being trendy.

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]

mike7677

How do you like it?

I'm asking because a friend on mine wants a 17" MacBook Pro. On top of that he wants to do video editing straight from his camcorder to this laptop. On top of that, he wants to get Final Cut Studio 2. That software's decent looking. :)

So far it's fantastic, although I haven't used it a whole ton yet (I just got it ;) ). I do have Final Cut Express HD, and it's an amazing editing program. It puts Adobe Premier to shame. Seriously- shame.

Go for it :)

Oh no you've turned into a overhyping macfan already :P
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 musicalmac  Moderator

Oh no you've turned into a overhyping macfan already :Pblacktorn

Keep in mind, there is a difference between an over-hyping mac fanboy, and someone who knows what they're talking about. :)

I've used Final Cut HD bunches, and I've used Premier bunches. Final Cut gets the nod from me.

hazuki87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#48 hazuki87
Member since 2004 • 2031 Posts

Not much more ridiculous than somebody buying a Mac in my opinion. Not that Windows is a good operating system (its not) and not that MacOS is bad or worse (its better) but Mac charges an absurb ammount for the same hardware you can buy on NewEgg on a PC you build and customize yourself. Then you can put whatever OS on that you like. Mac users bother me for that reason, they more often than not, are paying for the Apple logo so they can go sit in Panera or Starbucks and look like a tool...

not directed at Mac users in here specifically but a large part of the Mac userbase.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blacktorn

[QUOTE="blacktorn"] Oh no you've turned into a overhyping macfan already :Pmusicalmac

Keep in mind, there is a difference between an over-hyping mac fanboy, and someone who knows what they're talking about. :)

I've used Final Cut HD bunches, and I've used Premier bunches. Final Cut gets the nod from me.

Ok i was just making sure :P.There are some macfreaks out there who give it so much praise it's almost....freaky lol (hence the term macfreak). I'd also quickly like to say in the mac osx vs. Vista battle Cnet conducted recently Vista won overall.
RCade3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RCade3
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

Not much more ridiculous than somebody buying a Mac in my opinion. Not that Windows is a good operating system (its not) and not that MacOS is bad or worse (its better) but Mac charges an absurb ammount for the same hardware you can buy on NewEgg on a PC you build and customize yourself. Then you can put whatever OS on that you like. Mac users bother me for that reason, they more often than not, are paying for the Apple logo so they can go sit in Panera or Starbucks and look like a tool...

not directed at Mac users in here specifically but a large part of the Mac userbase.

hazuki87
I got a macbook pro solely because i was told it was the best for video editing, something i'm looking into doing professionally.