Looking at the last gen, Cell was the biggest freaking Sony mistake.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

It was an comparatively expensive thing. Sony should had stick to the simplier CPU and invest in better GPU, just like MS did with X360. Why does this matter now, you ask? Backwards compatibility! Scorpio having the ability to play X360 at 4k with 16 AF and improved AA is a huge thing. Just imagine having the ability to do the same with PS3 games on PS4 Pro.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Yawn. MS nuthuggers keep trying to make threads about the glory days of 360 but the Xbox brand is basically dead.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

The Cell was the greatest thing since sliced bread last gen. What happened???

Lmao at touting Microsoft's achievements last gen, and forgetting the elephant in the room. Games.

All of their progress will not mean anything if they do not deliver on the whole point of having a games console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6079d224de716

@Pray_to_me said:

Yawn. MS nuthuggers keep trying to make threads about the glory days of 360 but the Xbox brand is basically dead.

This thread is about PS3 library though. I'd like to play Demon's Souls or Killzone 2 at improved resolution but my only hope is rpcs3.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44096 Posts

They don't call it the BS3 for nuttin ya know. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6079d224de716

@crashnburn281:you didn't get the point did you? I'm not "touting Microsoft's achievements", I'm speaking about Sony's mistake. All that "power of the Cell" went to catching up with x360 graphically and Killzone and Uncharted games looking better than anything on 360 was only because of MS not having as strong first party developers as Sony. Backwards compatibility is a big deal as I can run, for example, Team Fortress 2, a ten years old game, on my PC with 4k, 16 AF and HBAO enabled and it still looks amazing and somewhat comparable to modern games, while when I look at any PS3 game my eyes hurt a lot.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@Orchid87:

Sony sold off the publishing rights to Demons Souls in the west. Atlas published it in the US and Namco in the EU. That's why we never got a Demons Souls 2 and probably why we have not/will not get a remastered version. Another one of their fuckups.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Not really, helped them garner 2 top 5 GOAT's and the coveted AAAAE 10/10 Essential must play exclusive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6079d224de716

@Heil68: no thanks to Cell. Sony first party developers could make the same games on the x360 hardware with minimum changes to the quality.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68

@Orchid87 said:

@Heil68: no thanks to Cell. Sony first party developers could make the same games on the x360 hardware with minimum changes to the quality.

Led them from 1 year down to be overtake 360.

Simply stunning revaluations, all thank to the technological advancements of the most powerful CPU in console history at the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Not really, helped them garner 2 top 5 GOAT's and the coveted AAAAE 10/10 Essential must play exclusive.

It was harder to develop for, and indeed due to the CPU Sony isn't able to use PS4 to emulate it, and run BC games. Those games would also have been created if they went for an easier solution. It's not thanks to the cell that those games have been created, that's thanks to Sony funding.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68

@FastRobby said:
@Heil68 said:

It was harder to develop for, and indeed due to the CPU Sony isn't able to use PS4 to emulate it, and run BC games. Those games would also have been created if they went for an easier solution. It's not thanks to the cell that those games have been created, that's thanks to Sony funding.

but they went to the cell, which was even better.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

The Cell was the greatest thing since sliced bread last gen. What happened???

Lmao at touting Microsoft's achievements last gen, and forgetting the elephant in the room. Games.

All of their progress will not mean anything if they do not deliver on the whole point of having a games console.

So they had no games last gen according to you?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@Heil68 said:
@FastRobby said:

The Cell was garbage and all hype. Its the reason they abandon the hardware.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Heil68

@Pedro said:
@Heil68 said:
@FastRobby said:

except for the 2 verified top 10 GOAT's and coveted 10/10 AAAAE excluive or the avalanche of AAAE in the last year of console.

We are all humbled by your greatness SONY.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

I have to solute Sony for having the balls to create the Cell. It was a monster that completely dusted every other CPU in floating point performance.

Unfortunately it exacerbated a huge (and growing) problem in the industry. Game development is already difficult, time consuming, and expensive and the Cell made it more so.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

Not sure the 599 starting price was all that great using that cell tech. In the end, however, PS3 had some of the greatest games made including one that made it into my top five games of all-time.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Yep, that's just one of many Sony mistakes did last gen. I mean Xbox 360 supposedly absolutely had no chance especially when the PS3 was coming out of the most dominant gaming console generation era and the king of gaming consoles the PS2. But as time went by last gen, it got clearer and clearer, the PlayStation was untouchable as many thought. They failed miserably on a lot of things, from the Cell to PSN to online security to price to flops, the list just goes on. But it's just not how many mistakes Sony made, it's what the competition like the Xbox did right is what made them steal the console gaming market from PlayStation.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

aye twas. there are some conflicting stories around the PS3 development. some say it was supposed to have 2 cell processors. others say it was 1 and only 256MB of ram. early 360 protoypes also only had 256MB of ram and im not sure what the GPU spec was for it at that stage. but, as the story goes, epic showed MS what gears would look like on a console with 256MB of ram and they upped it to 512MB as a result. another story about the PS3 was that developers were not consulted really. one day a box just turns up for sonys inhouse studios and they are told "this is the PS3. make games for this".

i suspect sony saw what the 360 could do and realised that even 2 cell processors were not going to be able to keep up. so they roped in nvidia at a late stage and we ended up with a mess of a console (no blame on nvidia there).

its interesting looking back on it now. but it was a very badly designed console with too much interference from sonys other divisions. no one liked working on it. it never managed to pull away in the visuals or gaming performance department. the cell is dead and buried as a project (GPGPU saw to that). the blu-ray win is a bit hollow. the hardware itself was just not a great gaming machine.

thankfully sony have learned and have since created the vita (an amazing portable machine that developers also like to work on) and the PS4 (also an excellent gaming machine).

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Orchid87 said:
@Pray_to_me said:

This thread is about PS3 library though. I'd like to play Demon's Souls or Killzone 2 at improved resolution but my only hope is rpcs3.

No. This thread is actually you trying to brag about the Scorpio.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@Heil68 said:

except for the 2 verified top 10 GOAT's and coveted 10/10 AAAAE excluive or the avalanche of AAAE in the last year of console.

You know that doesn't make the cell any less garbage like.

Avatar image for harnessthepower
HarnessThePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HarnessThePower
Member since 2017 • 267 Posts

The Cell's full power has yet to be fully harnessed. Who knows what wonders and secrets it still holds? But unfortunately lazy developers never put their full effort into trying to understand the power. Oh well, perhaps some things are best left unknown.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

DS3, SIXAXIS, and Move are all competitive, but I agree TC

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

And yet it's all you moronic cows talk about.....dead you say?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@Pedro said:
@Heil68 said:
@FastRobby said:

The cell had nothing to do with that troll. Sony went from selling 150M+ to 80M+ by the end of the gen. You call that winning? Yeah you're a troll so you probably do.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nope, think Sony should go back that direction not using off the shelf garbage. The Cell was powerful once developers knew what to do with, some of the exclusives are proof of that.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68

@kingtito said:
@Heil68 said:
@Pedro said:
@Heil68 said:
@FastRobby said:

The cell had nothing to do with that troll. Sony went from selling 150M+ to 80M+ by the end of the gen. You call that winning? Yeah you're a troll so you probably do.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@harnessthepower said:

The Cell's full power has yet to be fully harnessed. Who knows what wonders and secrets it still holds? But unfortunately lazy developers never put their full effort into trying to understand the power. Oh well, perhaps some things are best left unknown.

AMD Jaguar has superior IPC(instructions per clock) and complex instruction compression advantage.

1 GFLOPS complex instruction set is superior to 1 GFLOPS simple reduce instruction set instruction .