Life-long xbox owner thinking about make the switch. Have questions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neversummer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 neversummer75
Member since 2006 • 1136 Posts

Ive been in Microsofts camp and have owned both Xbox systems since the original come out years ago. Ive never owned any other brand of gaming system (with the exception of the old Atari and Nintendo systems way back in the day). After much research and contemplation, Im seriously thinking about making the switch to Sony and the PS4 for this generation. The difference in specs/power, future proof/room to grow (and more importantly) the PRICE (100 bucks is a lot) between the two systems has me re-thinking my Xbox One Preorder. I would say the only thing that is keeping me from cancelling my Xbox One preorder and ordering the PS4 is the online functionality and quality of the online experience of the two systems.

I play most of my games online (mainly sports games) and speed and smoothness of the online play is key to what Im looking for. There is nothing worse than playing an online sports game and having it be a lag fest, be choppy and be unresponsive. I want a smooth experience all around with the online play. It looks like Microsoft is bolstering LIVE with 300,000+ servers. Does anyone know exactly how this will translate to actual online gameplay? Will it provide a smoother experience than what LIVE currently offers? More importantly, how will Sony and the PS4s future online service compare? Ive heard that the PS3s online experience is not as good as LIVE. Does Sony have plans to bolster and improve the online experience? If so, how? As mentioned before, I want the most smooth, responsive and dependable online experience as possible.

Please, no fan-boy responses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
PSN is exactly the same when it comes to gameplay.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

PS3 wasnt really built for alot of online functionality, it was tacked on later so it was a little bit rough, but pretty impressive on Sonys part considering how bad it was at first, PS4 is built from the ground up to be online though, it shouldnt be far behind XBL now, if not on par.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Posting in SW and expecting fan boys not post? :lol:
wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiiutroll
Member since 2013 • 543 Posts

nothing in this thread could go wrong

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
Sony has not disclosed on how they will improve their online IF they improve it. MS is adding 300,000 servers for openers and all games will be on dedicated servers.
neversummer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 neversummer75
Posting in SW and expecting fan boys not post? :lol:MonsieurX
Dude, grow up. I'm sure there are some mature individuals on here willing to answer my questions. Give some of these guys credit.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
If you are playing EA Sports games, the servers aren't going to matter regardless. EA uses their own. Also keep in mind that Sonys exclusive MLB The Show is by far the best baseball series ever made.
dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

I like PSN as much as anyone, but I do not think for a second that it will ever match XB Live.

neversummer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 neversummer75
Sony has not disclosed on how they will improve their online IF they improve it. MS is adding 300,000 servers for openers and all games will be on dedicated servers. FoxbatAlpha
So, does that mean that games will be more responsive and run smoother online? I've even found that some games on LIVE are very sluggish and not very responsive.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Posting in SW and expecting fan boys not post? :lol:neversummer75
Dude, grow up. I'm sure there are some mature individuals on here willing to answer my questions. Give some of these guys credit.

SW's filled with trolls\fanboys. Yes there are few "mature individuals" to answer the question,but you'll get those fanboy posts anyway
neversummer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 neversummer75
[QUOTE="FoxbatAlpha"]Sony has not disclosed on how they will improve their online IF they improve it. MS is adding 300,000 servers for openers and all games will be on dedicated servers. neversummer75
So, does that mean that games will be more responsive and run smoother online? I've even found that some games on LIVE are very sluggish and not very responsive.

Will the dedicated servers solve these issues? Will Sony be offering them as well?
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Which games do you intend on playing again?

I haven't any issue with either and the closer you stick to the mainstream publishers, the quality will be comparable IMO.

neversummer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 neversummer75

I haven't any issue with either and the closer you stick to the mainstream publishers, the quality will be comparable IMO.

Basinboy
I like the Madden, NCAA football, 2K basketball, FIFA, etc... To be honest, part of me is pissed at MS for charging what they are charging. If I find that Sony is offering an online service that matches the new and improved LIVE, then I'm making the switch. I really think that MS is underestimating the 100 bucks difference between the two systems. 499 just looks soooo much more painful than 399. I never thought in a million years that I would get anything other than an xbox. crazy.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Basinboy
[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

neversummer75
I like the Madden, NCAA football, 2K basketball, FIFA, etc... To be honest, part of me is pissed at MS for charging what they are charging. If I find that Sony is offering an online service that matches the new and improved LIVE, then I'm making the switch. I really think that MS is underestimating the 100 bucks difference between the two systems. 499 just looks soooo much more painful than 399. I never thought in a million years that I would get anything other than an xbox. crazy.

Yours is THE predicament most Xbox loyalists will find themselves in. Making the switch includes not just gauging quality parity, but requires forfeiting your achievements, friends list, Xbox content (DLC, Avatar items, yada yada yada), etc. I don't think you'll find much of an issue with the online play on PSN, seeing as 2K and EA are huge publishers with massive interests in the online gameplay space (and it's not like the PS brand is a niche platform they don't profit much from). That said, X1 may still be your choice. If you don't intend on playing much outside of sports/shooters, that's the console you'll want. It all depends on how much value you place on the offerings from PS+ (and disregard the services of XBL and Kinect), the exclusive titles offered by Sony, and the $100 difference caused by Kinect. Tough call. I'm all over PS4 because I also have a PC where I'll be able to play 90% of the Xbox offerings and the other 9% aren't games I really care that much for. I'm 60/40 recommending the switch.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Life-long? Are you 12?

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Not concrete specifics have been detailed but Vegas money says that the X1 will have the superior online gaming ecosystem once more.
neversummer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 neversummer75
[QUOTE="neversummer75"][QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Basinboy

Yours is THE predicament most Xbox loyalists will find themselves in. Making the switch includes not just gauging quality parity, but requires forfeiting your achievements, friends list, Xbox content (DLC, Avatar items, yada yada yada), etc. I don't think you'll find much of an issue with the online play on PSN, seeing as 2K and EA are huge publishers with massive interests in the online gameplay space (and it's not like the PS brand is a niche platform they don't profit much from). That said, X1 may still be your choice. If you don't intend on playing much outside of sports/shooters, that's the console you'll want. It all depends on how much value you place on the offerings from PS+ (and disregard the services of XBL and Kinect), the exclusive titles offered by Sony, and the $100 difference caused by Kinect. Tough call. I'm all over PS4 because I also have a PC where I'll be able to play 90% of the Xbox offerings and the other 9% aren't games I really care that much for. I'm 60/40 recommending the switch.

Great thoughts. Thanks for the thoughts and advice. I still have time to think about it. It's a hard decision. We shall see.
Mah-kak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mah-kak
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Ive been in Microsofts camp and have owned both Xbox systems since the original come out years ago. Ive never owned any other brand of gaming system (with the exception of the old Atari and Nintendo systems way back in the day). After much research and contemplation, Im seriously thinking about making the switch to Sony and the PS4 for this generation. The difference in specs/power, future proof/room to grow (and more importantly) the PRICE (100 bucks is a lot) between the two systems has me re-thinking my Xbox One Preorder. I would say the only thing that is keeping me from cancelling my Xbox One preorder and ordering the PS4 is the online functionality and quality of the online experience of the two systems.

I play most of my games online (mainly sports games) and speed and smoothness of the online play is key to what Im looking for. There is nothing worse than playing an online sports game and having it be a lag fest, be choppy and be unresponsive. I want a smooth experience all around with the online play. It looks like Microsoft is bolstering LIVE with 300,000+ servers. Does anyone know exactly how this will translate to actual online gameplay? Will it provide a smoother experience than what LIVE currently offers? More importantly, how will Sony and the PS4s future online service compare? Ive heard that the PS3s online experience is not as good as LIVE. Does Sony have plans to bolster and improve the online experience? If so, how? As mentioned before, I want the most smooth, responsive and dependable online experience as possible.

neversummer75
You've never owned anything but a Microsoft Console your entire life? No PS3?! No PS2?!!!?!!! Sounds like the childhood from hell. People, this is how serial killers are made. Buy your kids a PS before they end up on the evening news.
Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

SW is the worst place to ask for advice. Do some research and make your own choice.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts
If online gaming is very important to you then it is best to stick with Xbox as you know you can trust them to deliver a high quality online experience like they always have done. Hopefully PSN will improve now that they are charging for online, but PSN currently feels like it is an entire generation behind Xbox Live, so it will take quite a while before they can get their online service up to the standards of Xbox Live and by the time they do, Xbox Live will have raised the standards even higher. While Sony is still trying to catch-up, Microsoft has already announced more improvements to Xbox Live such as 300,000 dedicated servers, new Smart Match system, and an improved reputation system.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

neversummer75

And yet you came to System Wars. Good luck with that :P

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Basinboy

If online gaming is very important to you then it is best to stick with Xbox as you know you can trust them to deliver a high quality online experience like they always have done. Hopefully PSN will improve now that they are charging for online, but PSN currently feels like it is an entire generation behind Xbox Live, so it will take quite a while before they can get their online service up to the standards of Xbox Live and by the time they do, Xbox Live will have raised the standards even higher. While Sony is still trying to catch-up, Microsoft has already announced more improvements to Xbox Live such as 300,000 dedicated servers, new Smart Match system, and an improved reputation system.starwolf474

PS4 pre-order CANCELLED

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kenmid
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

neversummer75

Bro, this is not best play to ask this question too many fanboys.  Just speaking from expernece on having both console for sports games Xbox Live is best place to play sports games.  FPS are about the same, Xbox live is a better online expernce.  But if I were you I would just google and do reserch.  And its hard to tell because the nexgen system haven't been release. So nobody knows which is going to be better.

Mah-kak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mah-kak
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="starwolf474"]If online gaming is very important to you then it is best to stick with Xbox as you know you can trust them to deliver a high quality online experience like they always have done. Hopefully PSN will improve now that they are charging for online, but PSN currently feels like it is an entire generation behind Xbox Live, so it will take quite a while before they can get their online service up to the standards of Xbox Live and by the time they do, Xbox Live will have raised the standards even higher. While Sony is still trying to catch-up, Microsoft has already announced more improvements to Xbox Live such as 300,000 dedicated servers, new Smart Match system, and an improved reputation system.Basinboy

PS4 pre-order CANCELLED

WOWZERS! I didn't see that!?! Cancelling the PS4 as well and ordering 2 Xbones. That way I can get that sick improved reputation system and have enough Xbone's to match the power of the PS4 I cancelled.
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I was in a similar position as you TC... although I've had most of the other consoles in past generations... I leaned heavily / preferred my XBOX & XB360 over my other consoles for the past 10 years.

Using what I know about the 2 companies, and looking at this past generation (X360 & PS3), and listening to what both companies had to say about their future, it was abundantly clear to me that it was time for a change.

I'm embracing the PS4 this gen... will game on PC, PS4 & Wii U.... in 4 or so years, if the X1 has a decent library of games that I absolutely cannot get anywhere else, I may break down and get one during a Boxing Day Sale.

In terms of Online... I have little experience with the PS3's online service with MP gaming... Have only played TLOU MP... which is fantastic btw. I play via WiFi and I have no noticable lag that I can tell. Certainly no more than my 360 which I played on a lot... in fact I experienced more lag with BLOPS 2 on 360 than i did with TLOU on PS3... but that could be more to do with coding of the game or the host of the game.

In short... there are no problems with onling gaming with Sony's console.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Having looked at your posting history its pretty clear you're not being truthful and recycle these topics.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26467870/thinking-about-selling-my-ps3....need-helpplease...no-faneboys

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26352067/well-i-finally-did-it....i-got-a-ps3

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26213260/thats-it.....im-done-with-the-xbox360-and-ms-my-3rd-system-just-died-on-me