Let's face it, Battlefield Can't Keep Up With Call of Duty according to Sony! Is this true?

• 60 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56311 Posts

That is what the story says coming from IGN:

"Call of Duty is not replicable," it said. "Call of Duty is too entrenched for any rival, no matter how well equipped, to catch up. It has been the top-selling game for almost every year in the last decade and, in the first-person shooter genre, it is overwhelmingly the top-selling game.

"Other publishers do not have the resources or expertise to match its success," Sony continued. "To give a concrete example, Electronic Arts – one of the largest third-party developers after Activision – has tried for many years to produce a rival to Call of Duty with its Battlefield series.

"Despite the similarities between Call of Duty and Battlefield – and despite EA’s track record in developing other successful AAA franchises (such as FIFA, Mass Effect, Need for Speed, and Star Wars: Battlefront) – the Battlefield franchise cannot keep up. As of August 2021, more than 400 million Call of Duty games has been sold, while Battlefield has sold just 88.7 million copies."

Link: IGN Call of Duty>>>>Battlefield

On one hand, Sony maybe right. While Battlefield predates Call of Duty, Dice was making an incredible MP experience before Call of Duty even existed and the truth is, those times have change over the years as EA got worst and so did Dice witch is why Battlefield continues to be crap. 2042 is probably the final nailed in the coffin unless Dice can turn the franchise around. Battlefield can keep up with Call of Duty if EA/Dice put efforts into make the franchise good for once. (Give us Bad Company 3)

I guess this explains why Sony will do anything to protect Call of Duty from MS at any cost. Do you agree with Sony saying Battlefield is not in the same league as Call of Duty?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39556 Posts

How can DICE keep up when nobody but interns are working for that company, and they don't even understand the engine they're working with? If we were in 2010, back when the OG DICE was the shit, if EA gave them time to produce a game that could compete (something fast and arcadey), i am sure they could've made a game that rivals CoD, but there's simply zero chance of this happening in 2022. There is no talent at that studio.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44403 Posts

Always preferred Call of Duty over Battlefield myself so yeah I believe Sony is right with that assertion.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1276 Posts

DICE is dead, so yes.
Old DICE devs made a new studio called Embark. Check out their new games, The Finals and Arc Raiders.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

They’ve had years to compete but always fumbled with the ball

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hardwenzen

@pclover1980 said:

DICE is dead, so yes.

Old DICE devs made a new studio called Embark. Check out their new games, The Finals and Arc Raiders.

Also don't forget to mention who is publishing their games.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2593 Posts

I would take Bad Company over any Call of Duty any day, but Battlefield had steadily gone down since.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I am not sure why this is a question, unless OP has been living under a rock for the past 15 years

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16587 Posts

@hardwenzen: lots of these publishers, including activision can be summed up as "for the shareholders". They make the most profitable games. There's a reason Tony Hawks got shelved, the guitar hero games and countless others. Why blizzard went from making a variety of games to making WoW expansion packs.

It's also why GoW ragnarok is a walking Sim with ez cheat mode enables, and Sony makes 4 remasters of tlou1.

For the shareholders is bad policy. Few companies out there have gotten a good balance. Nintendo is one of those companies. They milk the shit out of pokemon, but that helps them fund lower profit games like metroid, Zelda, Mario tennis, Mario party and others without getting hassled by shareholders.

Even MS sadly doing it at times, but nowadays with gamepass revenue, it's helping them to keep quality games coming.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: lots of these publishers, including activision can be summed up as "for the shareholders". They make the most profitable games. There's a reason Tony Hawks got shelved, the guitar hero games and countless others. Why blizzard went from making a variety of games to making WoW expansion packs.

It's also why GoW ragnarok is a walking Sim with ez cheat mode enables, and Sony makes 4 remasters of tlou1.

For the shareholders is bad policy. Few companies out there have gotten a good balance. Nintendo is one of those companies. They milk the shit out of pokemon, but that helps them fund lower profit games like metroid, Zelda, Mario tennis, Mario party and others without getting hassled by shareholders.

Even MS sadly doing it at times, but nowadays with gamepass revenue, it's helping them to keep quality games coming.

This is why MS's flagship is a f2p shovelware now that sells cat ears for $10.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16587 Posts

@hardwenzen: MS is ahead of the game now with Phil Spencer running Xbox. He has vision, unlike that last fool Don mattrick and that jackass Phil Harrison who many think was a Sony spy. Phil's vision might be too big though, the regulators just won't leave him alone.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: MS is ahead of the game now with Phil Spencer running Xbox. He has vision, unlike that last fool Don mattrick and that jackass Phil Harrison who many think was a Sony spy. Phil's vision might be too big though, the regulators just won't leave him alone.

Your flagship title sells cat ears for $10 a pop. Don't know what else you want me to tell you... its sad.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Everything in that statement was factual.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The biggest mistake Battlefield ever made was changing it's gameplay to feel and play like COD. BF was best when it did it's own thing IMO Battlefield 2 is the perfect example of what a true BF game should be like. The series now is dead the old talented devs are long gone EA should just axe DICE.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

All of the evidence is there. The statement isn’t even up for debate…

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59235 Posts

At this point both are just pyramid schemes for two scummy ass companies.

Whatever asshole wins, still an asshole.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator

@warmblur said:

The biggest mistake Battlefield ever made was changing it's gameplay to feel and play like COD. BF was best when it did it's own thing IMO Battlefield 2 is the perfect example of what a true BF game should be like. The series now is dead the old talented devs are long gone EA just ax DICE.

Battlefield used to be for Tacticians who wanted an arcade experience, and while CoD is dumb fun that you can jump-in 'n' jump-out. Of course, my time with the franchise is still Bad Company 2 & BF4. BF1 did evolved the series but EA failed with BFV.

@Archangel3371 said:

Always preferred Call of Duty over Battlefield myself so yeah I believe Sony is right with that assertion.

After coming out of CoD hiatus, I can see why CoD has gotten better. I don't see myself retuning to BF anytime soon...unless the franchise takes a radical change.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3098 Posts

Why does it need to complete? Why does it have to be some giant ass service game? If it was a single player game, everyone would be crying for them to shorten it (cause short games are hip). But if it's a multiplayer game, it has to be a 10 year plan that endlessly churns out content, that you can't earn quickly or you'll get bored and quit, or too long, because they'll whine and quit. And it has to be streamable, because if some little 12 year old douche isn't repeatedly yelling "LET'S GO!!!", I won't know what to do with myself!

Why can't they just put out something reasonable, that's fun? Hell, I really liked BF 1943. And it only had like 3 maps. I definitely would've bought a map pack, but they just put that game out to die.

If you can't beat COD, then don't try. Go the other way. Sometimes I just want a break from the mainstream for a few months. Just sell that option.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15977 Posts

400m copies sold. Incredible only Pokemon sells more at 440m ( and mario if you count every game and spin off under its brand).

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

I enjoy Battlefield way more than CoD. But yeah the last two battlefields has been shyt

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44641 Posts

The idea BF can fill a void left by COD seems more a proposal that would bare any consideration if COD were to no longer be published on PS consoles, which isn't even a likely scenario even if the ABK acquisition goes through. Sony's real worry is COD being on Game Pass, they would likely lose out on substantial revenues and it would have an expected impact on consumers console purchasing decisions.

But even if COD were to go exclusive, EA offering BF to fill the void would be laughable idea coming on the heals of the BF2042 fiasco where EA pushed out a problematic unfinished product that might have put the final nail in the coffin for the IP and it's way too soon to play the reboot "we learned from our mistakes" card. Sony values their quality image to much to make a deal with EA and their wild card quality of their releases.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dimebag667

@lamprey263: I just don't know anymore. You would think that ground has been salted into oblivion, but I bet 90% of the people that bought 2042 will still buy the next. They're either in denial, afraid to be left out, or possibly just dumb. If that wasn't the case, EA would've folded years ago.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator

@dimebag667: I only played 2042 through Game Pass and I didn't like it as much as I hope. I expected more as I happened to enjoy BF4 & BF1. At least I didn't pay for the game and just play it through Game Pass😁

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dimebag667

@davillain: The previews killed any interest I had, but it sounds like you made a reasonable compromise.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 PAL360  Online
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts

The problem is that Battlefield is trying too much to be like CoD, and the result was the last game.

Battlefield may not sell as much as CoD, but it always had it's dedicated community looking for a slower paced and more tactical experience.

I really hope DICE moves back one or two steps (BF1 was still amazing), otherwise they will not only lose CoD players but also Battlefield's.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PCLover1980

@hardwenzen: Can't be that much worse than EA.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17865 Posts

DICE needs to go back to their roots and just focus on making a BF game. Stop trying to be COD or a battle royale, extraction shooter, hero shooter, etc.. Just make a fucking BF game and support it properly.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Sony don't mention it's player base losing COD,just the sales,they don't care about you saps defending them,they care about your money.

Going forward Sony and cows lost

The elder Scrolls

Fallout

Doom

Dishonored

Starfield

Redfall

Deathloop 2

Wolfenstein

The evil within and more.

That's the deal you cows should be crying over,you see if the Activision deal does not(it will) go through Xbox gamers still get cod and MS keeps 70 billion(the sales and profit fanboys won't like that 🤣),while cows will have to watch YouTube videos of the great games above

Last placestation

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46516 Posts

Sony throwing Battlefield under the bus here:

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34720 Posts

I really don't get why people say that BF or DICE is dead. The franchise prints money. Not CoD money, but it's not like you can't continue making BF if CoD sells more. I mean wtf? That's not how it works, lol.

"Nah man, we can't make Sonic anymore, Mario sells more".
"Nah man, we can't make Forza anymore, GT sells more".
Etc.
That doesn't sound fucking stupid to you guys?

Even the ultra crap 2042 sold well, as I've understood. Not as well as the suit and ties in charge "hoped" as they thought it would sell like a good game and that people would shower them with mtx money, but people still bought the game.

@davillain said:

I guess this explains why Sony will do anything to protect Call of Duty from MS at any cost. Do you agree with Sony saying Battlefield is not in the same league as Call of Duty?

Well, yeah. Sales wise, there's nothing to agree with. CoD destroys BF. It's a fact. I haven't cared about CoD since the first Modern Warfare from 2009, but I think there's a chance CoD is better than BF nowadays, now that EA and DICE made BF into CoD.

BF would probably see more success in going back to being BF instead of trying to take CoD's playerbase, but the suit and ties don't understand things like that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie: Looking at it from the outside:

BF 1 sold extremely well, way better than EA had hoped because they thought people were idiots that don't realise that WW1 is a conflict that actually happened. Premium didn't sell as well as expected and the market was shifting (towards live service).

BF V sold poorly, not Hardline levels of poorly but it always received a negative reception. The live service - which did bring tons of new weapons and new maps for free - was cut short because it didn't bring in new people as much as EA had hoped. A live service can only work if it keeps bringing in new people.

BF 2042 again sold poorly, still it was the only Battlefield game that next gen gamers could play so millions of PC gamers, consoles gamers still got it. It was the Battlefield game at the time, people get sucked up through marketing hype or whatever. But it's clear to me that lessons were learned from BF V: no use spending all that money on making new maps and weapons when you're giving it away for free.

So yeah, BF can sell poorly and still make money. You're goddamn right.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

A big part of this, is that Sony said eff multiplayer games after the PS3. Now they've woken up and are wondering where all their multiplayer games are.

That's likely why're they're shitting themselves over this one game.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8887 Posts

@davillain: Nope. All it takes is one real bad outing and another team to step up.

Before Call Of Duty, there was Medal of Honor. The first three Metal of Honor games were written by Steven Spielberg. The key people who made Metal of Honor: Allied Assault (the best one in that series) left and formed Infinity Ward. Those same people could pick up and leave again. Or, someone else could simply come along and knock them off their pedestal; like how Assassin's Creed took the place of Prince of Persia, or how Doom was replaced by... well... a lot of successful FPS.

Things change. Look at CoD now - most newcomers to video games think that the PlayStation has always been "the place for Call Of Duty". But, CoD started on the PC. And, CoD 2 (the game that knocked Metal Of Honor off it's top spot and really kicked of the franchise) was a "PC360" game that was never released on PlayStation. Also, the deal Sony has with Activision with CoD now was originally with Microsoft (Sony out bid them in was was a series of blunders by MS during the XBox One era).

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7336 Posts

In fairness, there are less Battlefield games than CoDs, but yes, per capita CoD does sell more.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k

@HalcyonScarlet said:

A big part of this, is that Sony said eff multiplayer games after the PS3. Now they've woken up and are wondering where all their multiplayer games are.

That's likely why're they're shitting themselves over this one game.

Yup, Sony shouldn't be talking about Battlefield. Because they tried doing Battlefield (MAG) and failed miserably.

Also COD has tried copying every game out there.

• COD WW2 had that war game mode, obviously inspired by Battlefield 1s Operations
  • COD Advanced warfare and Black Ops 2 were inspired by Titanfall
  • Warzone, that's just PUBG
  • Battle passes straight out of Fortnite
  • Oh and now they have DMZ. But that's basically a wannabe Tarkov mode.
p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

I'll take BF over COD any day, even the bad ones. And just because it sells more doesn't mean it's a better game. COD has always been mainstream and a favorite for casuals. I had a PS5 player in my squad and every time he got killed he would cry on the mic, I was gonna mute him but it was too funny so I let it be just to hear him cry. And he did this the whole dam map. Edit-I saved all small clip of him raging.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PCLover1980

I just saw 2042 on Gamepass, and that's without the 10-hour restriction. I might get back to it, see how much have changed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@p3anut said:

I'll take BF over COD any day, even the bad ones. And just because it sells more doesn't mean it's a better game. COD has always been mainstream and a favorite for casuals. I had a PS5 player in my squad and every time he got killed he would cry on the mic, I was gonna mute him but it was too funny so I let it be just to hear him cry. And he did this the whole dam map. Edit-I saved all small clip of him raging.

LMAO it's always funny hearing people cry like this online. I haven't played any MP in years but I see not much has changed there will always be these types of players lol.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BassMan
@p3anut said:

To be fair, the snipers and campers are toxic. Especially on a map like manifest where there is so much verticality and so many angles. Then you have the bullshit grappling hook and wingsuit that are abused. Fuk I hate the specialists and their ridiculous abilities.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

BF is an all-time favorite series for me that's only really gotten to the point where I consider it bad in the past one or two installments.

It's always been a solid game for the most part, and a good "thinking-man's shooter" (waits for laughter...) alternative to the fast-paced twitch of COD. And, of course, the vehicles, class-based mechanics, and emphasis on squads was always a big highlight for me.

With all that said, I think DICE as a studio should have been scrapped long ago and Battlefield mothballed after BF1. BFV was good, don't get me wrong, but when you come back and do the same game again I think it's time to close up shop. And of course we all know how BF 2042 went...

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8887 Posts

@davillain: There have been a ton of leaks about what MS and Soby are saying, and it's hilarious.

MS: Sony has better 1st party games

Sony: We can't compete with Game Pass

MS: Multi-console owners prefer PS5

Sony: Starfiels and ES 6 not coming to PS is damaging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Here is a fantastic video of how the BF started turning into COD although it's not labeled that way but he explains how the series use to be about teamwork and then turned into a lonewolf style. If you played BF2 you know exactly what I'm talking about this video breaks it down perfectly.

Loading Video...
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25009 Posts
@warmblur said:

Here is a fantastic video of how the BF started turning into COD although it's not labeled that way but it explains how the series use to be about teamwork and then turned into a lonewolf style. If you played BF2 you know exactly what I'm talking about this video breaks it down perfectly.

Loading Video...

Battlefield is trash franchise since day 1.

COD2 was good game for sure for its time.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator

@dabear: I'm always amazed Sony is really scare of losing Call of Duty to MS even though we already know MS won't take that away from Sony as MS loves making money on every platform and look at how Minecraft turn out. It sales well on every platform. Taking Call of Duty away from Sony would hurt MS more than Sony itself.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Here is a fantastic video of how the BF started turning into COD although it's not labeled that way but it explains how the series use to be about teamwork and then turned into a lonewolf style. If you played BF2 you know exactly what I'm talking about this video breaks it down perfectly.

Loading Video...

You're only saying this because you're scared of multiplayer games. OG bf is arguably the best multiplayer fps experience we've ever seen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

You're only saying this because you're scared of multiplayer games. OG bf is arguably the best multiplayer fps experience we've ever seen.

Agree BF was the goat when it came to MP,COD is just a brainless run and gun shooter with no teamwork or tactics.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BassMan

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

Agree BF was the goat when it came to MP,COD is just a brainless run and gun shooter with no teamwork or tactics.

So is battlefield.

you act like old battlefield games were military simulator lol.

they were also arcade shooter with vehicles.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghosts4ever

@BassMan said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

Metro - Better series.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

So is battlefield.

you act like old battlefield games were military simulator lol.

they were also arcade shooter with vehicles.

And what makes you think that a mil sim is superior to a team based shooter? Not to mention that you shit on Tarkov as well, and that shit is almost as mil sim as it gets.