Lets be honest...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3c81036be81
deactivated-5f3c81036be81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f3c81036be81
Member since 2009 • 582 Posts

How many people actually enjoy playing Driving simulators?

I'm not having a dig at XBox fans here, but I see a lot of hype over Forza, I'm just curious... How many people actually find themselves enjoying these games for a number of hours at a time?

Personally I think it's one of, if not the most boring genre of game. So the same can be said for PS fans who hype up Gran Turismo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Forza is a great game. I owned the last Gran Turismo, it was a great racing sim, but I reckon I couldn't play that game longer than 30 minutes before getting bored.

I still think the most fun I've had playing a racing game was either Burnout 3 or one of the Mario Karts.

I hope for XBox fans sake that Ryse is a a good game, it looks interesting at the very least. Doesn't look like DR3 has quite lived up to expectations.

I just think Forza looks like a game that wouldn't provide countless hours of entertainment... I can't be the only one who feels this way..?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@mammojo said:

How many people actually enjoy playing Driving simulators?

Very much so.

I was planning on going all out and investing in Fanatec....but for whatever reason, the Xbox doesn't support their wheels.

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

Lemming should just stick with Forza 4. Forza 5 will never no store/auction house, with lesser cars and fewer tracks.

I ask my lemming friend whats the difference between Forza 4 and Forza 5 - his answer - "graphics". LOL

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

to be honest its a very small percentage, but driving sim enthusiasts are intensely serious about it.

The price of an xbone is probably less than they spent on their last set of of pedals w/ driving wheel, some of those forza guys even went so far as to do a triple monitor setup with triple 360s.

I dont get it, but they are a cash cow and a cult following.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@supercowelitist said:

Lemming should just stick with Forza 4. Forza 5 will never no store/auction house, with lesser cars and fewer tracks.

I ask my lemming friend whats the difference between Forza 4 and Forza 5 - his answer - "graphics". LOL

you poor, poor soul

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/forza-5-sequel-or-prequel-30934088/

@supercowelitist: OP is still incorrect

• Forza 4 is 720p 60 FPS
  • Forza 4 did not have day/night/weather - it had morning, noon, dusk (as does Forza 5)

• Forza 5 increased car fidelity - Turn 10 spends 6 months making one car -
  • Seamless Storefront and Auction House items http://www.twitch.tv/microsoftstudios/b/415729737 - Painters are payed based on usage of their designs (18:30 mark in link provided)
  • Vastly increased tire physics and attention to detail
  • Vastly increased suspension physics and attention to detail
  • Laser Scanned tracks
  • Forza 5 runs 1080p 60 FPS
  • VASTLY expanded AI with Drivatars

Glad I could help you out TC! Cause you needed the help badly

Pokemon266

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pokemon266
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

Lucky for you, forza is an arcade game

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I really enjoy the visuals, immersion, realism and vehicle choice in Forza. I also LOVE the ability to re-do your mistakes in the single player.

But in competitive mode, mechanics really bother me. It's an acceleration-based game that punishes you for the slightest mistake. Accidentally do 1 turn wrong. You're back to 0 mph and have to take a whole minute to go back up to 90 mph.

It feels like a combo-based game on who can pull off the biggest combo rather than a racing game. Maybe this is how real races work (I don't know), but it's just not a whole lot of fun.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@BeardMaster said:

to be honest its a very small percentage, but driving sim enthusiasts are intensely serious about it.

The price of an xbone is probably less than they spent on their last set of of pedals w/ driving wheel, some of those forza guys even went so far as to do a triple monitor setup with triple 360s.

Fanatec prices:

• Wheel: BMW M3 GT2 Wheel - $250
  • Wheel Base: ClubSport Wheel Base - $450
  • Pedals: CSR Elite Pedals - $150
  • Shifter: CSR Shifter Set - $60

Grand Total: $910

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

This is just preemptive DC because it's highly likely that Forza will go AA-AAA like the previous 4 games. I bet it'll flop (apparently it's missing a whole bunch of features that the previous games had), but it's still hilarious. Cows know it's a consistent performer and that's why they're so scared. They don't want to be the only platform to not get any high-scoring exclusives this holiday season. =(

Either way, it's slim pickings for console fanboys since they're swimming in 7.0 exclusive(s) and paying $500+ just to play 2-3 multiplats. Last-gen must've left them starving for a little more frame rate and resolution. L. That desperation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3c81036be81
deactivated-5f3c81036be81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f3c81036be81
Member since 2009 • 582 Posts

@HavocV3: I don't understand who you're having a dig at and I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

I think you have issues, something in your personal life mustn't be where it should. Good luck, hope you get well soon bro.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By drekula2
@HavocV3 said:

Cows know it's a consistent performer and that's why they're so scared. .

batman was a consistent performer as well, so it's faults carried into Origins. and much like a drug-addled rockstar, Forza's age could catch up with itself.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R3FURBISHED

@drekula2 said:
@HavocV3 said:

Cows know it's a consistent performer and that's why they're so scared. .

batman was a consistent performer as well, so it's faults carried into Origins. and much like a drug-addled rockstar, Forza's age could catch up with itself.

Turn 10 is moving in the right direction -- attention to detail http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/lets-be-honest-30938211/?page=1#js-message-341837429

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BeardMaster

@R3FURBISHED said:

@BeardMaster said:

Fanatec prices:

• Wheel Base: CSR - $450

Yea i dont doubt it, its not something i enjoy, but at the same time between EQ/WoW and other various PC MMOs ive probably spent hundreds of dollars of real money for in-game gold/plat. So im not about to chastise anyone for what they spend on entertainment.

Let the driving enthusiasts drive on.imo

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drekula2

ok. i went overboard. forza is a generally very good series that just has a gameplay mechanic i don't like.

games like batman arkham city are a total joke.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R3FURBISHED

@BeardMaster said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@BeardMaster said:

Fanatec prices:

Yea i dont doubt it, its not something i enjoy, but at the same time between EQ/WoW and other various PC MMOs ive probably spent hundred of dollars of real money for in-game gold/plat. So im not about to chastise anyone for what they spend on entertainment.

in my eyes its the price you pay for the experience and Fanatec is the top of the line. The Wheel Base is so much because it does so much.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

sales numbers will tell you that indeed there are a lot of people who play these games. I'm not a huge car enthusiast but I love playing these games too. It's quite exciting to drive all those different cars you're likely never going to in real life, and they all feel distinctly different in the games. The GT series also adds a bunch of features over the years like photo mode, GT TV documentaries, etc. Arcade racers are just as fun as other genres, but driving sims are fun in their own ways.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

One thing I noticed about Driving Simulators is they are so damn unrealistic. The vehicle behavior is absolutely nothing like real life, infact for a game to qualify as a sim, all they have to do is add a bunch of arbitrary settings and boring physics stuff. I've seen more realistic performances from Codemaster than I have from Forza/GT. If Project Cars follows this same philosophy then I don't know anymore.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BeardMaster

@R3FURBISHED said:

@BeardMaster said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@BeardMaster said:

Fanatec prices:

Yea i dont doubt it, its not something i enjoy, but at the same time between EQ/WoW and other various PC MMOs ive probably spent hundred of dollars of real money for in-game gold/plat. So im not about to chastise anyone for what they spend on entertainment.

in my eyes its the price you pay for the experience and Fanatec is the top of the line. The Wheel Base is so much because it does so much.

Well when i was paying real money for ingame gold i wasnt buying any other games, i was fixated. In a weird way i might spend more money on games now, despite enjoying gaming more back then. Its partially why I cant PC game anymore, im too damn competitive, spending crazy money on peripherals and hardware for every edge.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ drekula2

you said: "I really enjoy the visuals, immersion, realism and

vehicle choice in Forza." and then : "Maybe this is how real races work (I don't know),

but it's just not a whole lot of fun."

Abit of Contradiction there.

Then You said: "games like batman arkham city are a total joke."

And that explains it.......... You're drunk :D