LBP > SMG

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SeanDiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 SeanDiff
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts

I have played both games and here are my thoughts

Little Big Planet offers original, fun gameplay, always changing. SMG on the other hand, is pretty much like other marios. Sure now you can walk in different directions rather then sidescrolling, but it's still pretty much the same.

LBP has an online leaderboard, so you can see how you compare with others andit encourages you to play more then once.

LBP graphics and physics are alot better then marios, look at pictures if you really on't believe me.

And of course, LBP has the level maker and the online community, anything is possible.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

I don't think that we were playing the same game. SMG was the same as the other marios?

The physics and customisation are what make LBP really great and origional. The floaty platforming itself is good, but it doesnt even come close to mario levels of awesome.

I say over all SMG is the better game (an the best 3D platformer ever made)

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I highly doubt you have played both games.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
This is hard, ILBP is in a league of it's own with level creator. Idk, I can't decide.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
I never played SMG, platformers aren't really my thing, but I love me some LBP
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

I don't think that we were playing the same game. SMG was the same as the other marios?Guybrush_3

Or maybe you did and he has a different opinion than yours.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
9.5 > 9, but I can see where you are coming from.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]I don't think that we were playing the same game. SMG was the same as the other marios?GreenGoblin2099

saying they are the same isnt really an opinion. It is a fact that they are different.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
This won't end pretty....
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 Grinning_Demon
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts

Level editor VS Platformer ?

lol

ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ujjval16
Member since 2008 • 1669 Posts

I have to disagree with you, I found SMG way better, but I can't really say because I have only played LBP at a friends house. Oh, I went through your reviews and just out of curiousity, how did you give Legend of Zelda: Twillight Princess a 1.0 while you gave Killzone 1 a 10?

Benevolentbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#12 Benevolentbob
Member since 2007 • 1178 Posts

Little Big Planet offers original, fun gameplay, always changing. SMG on the other hand, is pretty much like other marios. Sure now you can walk in different directions rather then sidescrolling, but it's still pretty much the same.

LBP has an online leaderboard, so you can see how you compare with others andit encourages you to play more then once.

LBP graphics and physics are alot better then marios, look at pictures if you really on't believe me.

And of course, LBP has the level maker and the online community, anything is possible.

SeanDiff

Anybody who thinks LBP was an innovative platformer and SMG wasn't obviously hasn't played many platformers. SMG is far superior IMO.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

This is hard, ILBP is in a league of it's own with level creator. Idk, I can't decide. CleanPlayer

I'll go by this guys side. For a console game LBP is in a league of it's own. From a platforming perspective i'll choose Mario, but by overall LBP is a no-brainer from me.

SeanDiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 SeanDiff
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts

I have to disagree with you, I found SMG way better, but I can't really say because I have only played LBP at a friends house. Oh, I went through your reviews and just out of curiousity, how did you give Legend of Zelda: Twillight Princess a 1.0 while you gave Killzone 1 a 10?

ujjval16
I was once an ignorant fanboy, ignore them.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]I don't think that we were playing the same game. SMG was the same as the other marios?Guybrush_3

saying they are the same isnt really an opinion. It is a fact that they are different.

Yup, it's a fact, but I can see where he's coming from, the difference is that I wouldn't really express it with those words.

Anyway, that's just his opinion.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
As much as I love LBP, I can't agree on that. I seriously can't.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Guybrush_3

ujjval16

Oh I missed that. Fanboy am confirmed. Now I doubt he has even played SMG.

ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ujjval16
Member since 2008 • 1669 Posts
[QUOTE="ujjval16"]

SeanDiff
I was once an ignorant fanboy, ignore them.

Ok thank I was just wondering, now if you'll excuse me, I'll be trying to find $60 so I can finally buy LBP, it gets so tiring going to a friends house every time just to play an amazing game.
BetaRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BetaRay
Member since 2009 • 118 Posts

I got bored of SMG less then a week after buying it

Never played LBP yet

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
LBP cannot compare to smg, honestly
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
[QUOTE="Benevolentbob"][QUOTE="SeanDiff"]

Anybody who thinks LBP was an innovative platformer and SMG wasn't obviously hasn't played many platformers. SMG is far superior IMO.

I hate your sig. I'm Tifa! :cry:
spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ǝʇıɹʍ uɐɔ ıStealthKnife
:o Teach me! :cry:
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
If I wanted an excercise in shallow gameplay mechanics that can't even match NES platformers then sure. Seriously, LBP is great but as a platformer, it doesn't touch mario, sorry.
MarthRingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 MarthRingman
Member since 2008 • 1104 Posts
I had a lot of fun with both of them. Only thing I didn't like about LBP was how you had to move forward and backward during some puzzles- they should've just made it 2d-platformer style. In gameplay, I liked Galaxy better, but I absolutely LOVE the downloadable levels in LBP.
tek91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tek91
Member since 2004 • 1476 Posts
I think they are both pretty fun and even as platforming I giive the Edge to Little Big Planet because of the creating levels and playing through levels created that gives it endless replaybility unlike mario.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ActicEdge

I think they are both pretty fun and even as platforming I giive the Edge to Little Big Planet because of the creating levels and playing through levels created that gives it endless replaybility unlike mario.tek91

God no, LBP has a lot going for it but platforming is not one of its strengths. LBP's platforming is frankly, garbage compared to even NES platformers like megaman 1 and 2 and Super Mario Bros 3. SMG absolutely has the better platforming between the 2.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

[QUOTE="tek91"]I think they are both pretty fun and even as platforming I giive the Edge to Little Big Planet because of the creating levels and playing through levels created that gives it endless replaybility unlike mario.ActicEdge

God no, LBP has a lot going for it but platforming is not one of its strengths. LBP's platforming is frankly, garbage compared to even NES platformers like megaman 1 and 2 and Super Mario Bros 3. SMG absolutely has the better platforming between the 2.

I agree with this guy in platforming LBP is a joke. Besides tek91 is like the Cow's President, one of the biggest fanboys ever .

Lobo_das_Neves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lobo_das_Neves
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

I don't think that we were playing the same game. SMG was the same as the other marios?

The physics and customisation are what make LBP really great and origional. The floaty platforming itself is good, but it doesnt even come close to mario levels of awesome.

I say over all SMG is the better game (an the best 3D platformer ever made)

Guybrush_3

I`m Guybrush Threepwood, a mighty pirate! Sorry... couldn`t resist :oops: Best adventure series of all time! :P

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grinning_Demon

As far as platformers go, Galaxy cant be touched by any game made in YEARS. Hell, even disregarding the genre, this game is a landmark in design and gameplay.

LBP is a great level editor and has the ability to be a decent comunity based game, but it doesnt compete with Galaxy as a platformer. No way in hell

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
SMG's level design and controls are far superior to LBP's, imo... So I dont agree with you.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ActicEdge

As far as platformers go, Galaxy cant be touched by any game made in YEARS. Hell, even disregarding the genre, this game is a landmark in design and gameplay.

LBP is a great level editor and has the ability to be a decent comunity based game, but it doesnt compete with Galaxy as a platformer. No way in hell

Grinning_Demon

This, I love LBP but as a Platformer, it does not compare, period.

Lobo_das_Neves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lobo_das_Neves

AWESOME IMAGES POSTED HERE

Grinning_Demon

OMG... I have to say, I`m not a Mario fan but...

You just made me want to try this game out :shock: Just wow

Nova_Mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Nova_Mongoose
Member since 2004 • 2261 Posts
I'm sorry but SMG is one of the best games I've ever played and I've been gaming since 1986.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
Wow you really compared that stone age wanna be POS platformer to SMG? Hahahahah
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grinning_Demon

Do it man, its already an absolute classic. One of the best games in years, you wont even believe the amount brilliance they squeezed into a DVD

If you need more convincing :P...

http://niceskybox.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/super-mario-galaxy-wii-09.jpg

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Lbp edges out mario in terms of re-playability....but in terms of platforming elements SMG absolutely destroys little floaty planet.
darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
I havn't played LBP myself, but it defintly looks like an excellent and original game.

lol

Grinning_Demon
It is possible to compare games from two different genres, it's just difficult. By that logic, you would never be able to claim Big Rigs was worse than any non-"racer". Obviously comparisons can be made, but like I said, it's just hard.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grinning_Demon
I havn't played LBP myself, but it defintly looks like an excellent and original game. [QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"]

lol

darkslider99

It is possible to compare games from two different genres, it's just difficult. By that logic, you would never be able to claim Big Rigs was worse than any non-"racer". Obviously comparisons can be made, but like I said, it's just hard.

I didnt imply you couldnt compare diferent genres, but LBP IS a platformer. It just so happens that its big appeal resides in creating levels, thats the priority, not a highly polished, brilliantly designed and varied single player experience.

If we are comparing both games by what they have in common then LBP isnt even a competition

Lobo_das_Neves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lobo_das_Neves

Do it man, its already an absolute classic. One of the best games in years, you wont even believe the amount brilliance they squeezed into a DVD

Grinning_Demon

Oh, I will, thank you :P

And... is that a floating ship????

INSTANTLY WIN :D

Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts

SeanDiff

you proved by your third sentence that you haven't even played SMG.....self ownage to the MAX!!!!! :lol:

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
[QUOTE="darkslider99"]I havn't played LBP myself, but it defintly looks like an excellent and original game. [QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"]

lol

Grinning_Demon

I didnt imply you couldnt compare diferent genres, but LBP IS a platformer. It just so happens that its big appeal resides in creating levels, thats the priority, not a highly polished, brilliantly designed and varied single player experience.

If we are comparing both games by what they have in common then LBP isnt even a competition

It sounded like you did imply it...but if you did not, you did not. But it still applies to people saying you can't compare them due to that.
Ciocio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ciocio7
Member since 2009 • 101 Posts
i think theyre both equally fun, both has theyre pros and cons though
Pandajerk29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pandajerk29
Member since 2008 • 708 Posts
SMG is better than LBP, IMO.
Vixolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vixolus
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
How does LBP have a lot better physics when Marios Galaxy is in Space...
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Haha, not a chance. And I love LBP.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Grinning_Demon
Oh, I went through your reviews and just out of curiousity, how did you give Legend of Zelda: Twillight Princess a 1.0 while you gave Killzone 1 a 10?

ujjval16

*facepalm*

Well, that explains alot.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
SMG was fun but it got monotonous at times. couldnt play it for more than 30 min straight without taking a break :?
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
God no. Super Mario Galaxy is the best game this gen.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#49 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Little Big Planet has a level editor which can make it last along time but in terms of quality platforming nothing comes close this gen to the awesome Super Mario Galaxy. I have also played both games as well.
DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

if i was a cow, or someone who didnt know what a good game is, i would have said LBP but im not so il go with SMG

but seriously, both are good games, but mario galaxy is simply the better game

9.5>9

and the only mario game LBP would beat is mario sunshine