Laying the Graphics Question to Rest

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bragac200
Member since 2003 • 1161 Posts

IF YOU POST A REPLY, BE SURE TO READ THE POST FIRST (I can't wait for sheep to post "but gameplay > graphics!!!!1111")

OK, there has been a lot of "debate" here about which console has the best graphics and best graphical hardware.  I am about to lay this issue to rest, once and for all by doing what nobody ever seems to do here: look up the facts.  I will then delve a bit into the history of how these facts came to be.

First, it is important to understand where graphics come from.  Many cows seem to think that graphics are generated by the CPU, and therefore the Cell is advantageous.  Unfortunatelyl for them, this is basically wrong.  Video game graphics are made of triangles, which are drawn by the graphics processing unit (GPU).  This is a completely separate, and distinct, piece of hardware from the CPU and for bandwidth reasons cannot offload triangle drawing to the CPU.

The fill rate is the theoretical maximum number of triangles the GPU can handle per second.  The higher this number, the more complex a 3D scene the console (or PC) can render at real time rates (24 FPS and up).

Now here are the numbers:

Xbox 360: 500 million triangles/sec (source)
PlayStation 3: 275 million triangles/sec (source)
Nintendo Wii*: 30 million triangles/sec (source)

Now first a quick note, for ownage reasons, Nintendo dos not publish their fill rate.  In fact, Sony tried to keep their fill rate a secret for a long time for the same reason.  But back to Nintendo - here I used the Xbox 1 fill rate because a lot of people on this board (probably more than 60%) think the Xbox 1 has better graphics than the Wii.

The conclusion is pretty obvious: the reason the Xbox 360 has better graphics than the other two consoles is that it has a much, much more powerful video card.  It is nearly twice as powerful as the PS3's "reality synthesizer" and over 10 times more powerful than the Wii's Hollywood.

But let's take a step back, and understand why this is.  Why would Sony, obviously trying to build the most powerful console known to man, put a slow graphics chip inside their console?  Well the reason is, this wasn't the plan.  In fact, when Sony began the Cell project there were, in fact, two cell projects.  One cell was designed to function as a CPU (what has become the "cell broadband engine" in the PS3 today), and another cell was designed to be a GPU.  The GPU was designed in-house and was meant to be the successor to the emotion engine.

But unfortunately, developing modern graphics processors from scratch is very difficult and to make matters worse, ATI and NVIDIA hold a plethora of patents in this area, meaning a new chip has to skirt (or license) all of these patents.  Ultimately, this Cell GPU project fell far behind schedule and 2 years before the PS3's launch Sony made a hard decision: kill the Cell GPU project.  Sony then licensed a new chip from NVIDIA to be used in the PS3.

The chip they licensed is neither a 6800 nor a 7800 because it was developed by a separate team working simultaneously as the team at NVIDIA which ultimately developed the 6800 and now the 7800 and 8800.  It seems this team may have been smaller, or underfunded, or perhaps neglected by NVIDIA because what they came up with - the RSX - is actually not very fast.  What is more likely, though, is that Sony was had made a decision to include a hard drive in every unit and was trying to find ways to cut costs.  And so they whacked one of the most important components of a game console: the GPU.

So, cows, now you know why your console has significantly worse graphics than the Xbox 360, and will continue to have worse graphics for the duration of the life of the console.  Also, sheep now know how much slower their console is than the other two and hopefully will stop posting pointless threads like "the Wii has pixel shaders after all!!!!".

Avatar image for Wiifanboy_4life
Wiifanboy_4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Wiifanboy_4life
Member since 2006 • 3971 Posts
Wow. So the Xbox 360 really IS more graphically powerful than the PS3. . . I already knew the Wii was less graphically capable than the rest, but wooooooooow. 30 million to 500 million!!! That's insane.
RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts
There was a debate about Wii graphics?  No one is arguing that the Wii's graphics are better than anything.  Even Nintendo admits to this.

I think you mean the debate over if the 360 or the PS3 has better graphics or not.

Finnally when putting things to rest you need to use fire, wooden stakes, or silver bullets.  Since those only works on trolls, vampires, and werewolves; and there's no known method of putting debates to "rest" I wish you good luck with that.

terdoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 terdoo
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
GRAPHICS!!111 OMG OMG OMG LOLOLOL LMFAO!!! GRAPHICS!!!!11OMG BBQPWNED!!!! THey are all like that.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

1. Its Wiki, not the most reliable source.

2. The RSX was changed from 550MHz to 500MHz.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
I dont know much about this, but I'm sure thers more to it than just that.  Also, I think its pretty evident that the 360 isn't twice as powerful.  Is gears twice as good looking as mgs4? does it even look better?  the 360 may be more powerful, but the games dont neccesarrily look any better.
Led___Zeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Led___Zeppelin
Member since 2004 • 1581 Posts
Nice post. I don't know if its correct or not but if it is than thats major ownage to cows.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
You know nothing about graphics processors.  If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.
crude_darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 crude_darkness
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts
Metal Gear Solid characters where like lego people, but that didn't stop it from becoming a great game.
Heith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heith
Member since 2003 • 1231 Posts
Imagine if Sony had just used that extra 200 dollars on video card and went to nVidia first instead of as a last ditch effort, and just made Blu-Ray a add on like 360 did.  Include that with the cell processor, and PS3 would really have been all it was hyped up to be.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Those "triangles a sec" numbers are with almost no textures, you'll NEVER see those numbers in-game, although they do have some relevance.
bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bragac200
You know nothing about graphics processors.  If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.Teufelhuhn

Hahahahaha.  Is that the best you can do?
Heith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heith
Member since 2003 • 1231 Posts
Fillrate is only a small part of why the 360 is better for gaming.  360 is better though.  But it all comes down to games, and PS3 could still pull through.  PS2 was inferior to its counterparts last gen and still came out ahead.
killamagig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 killamagig
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Saying "I can't wait for the sheep to say "But Gameplay > Graphics!!11!"" Is a kinda stupid attempt at non-fanboyism, since you are in fact denying someones opinion without saying why.

Look, i'm going to say it. Gameplay > Graphics. No, graphics are not what makes a game, and no, graphics are NOT completley un-important either. I like my games to have nice shiny graphics. I just think I can live with playing a game that isn't realistic right down to TEH O SO IMPORTANT DETAIL ON T3H GRASS!!!1!! I own a Xbox 360 and a Wii by the way, and I play Zelda and Wii Play more than I do Gears and Dead Rising.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.bragac200

Hahahahaha. Is that the best you can do?

I have a policy, and its not to argue with people who have no idea what they're talking about.  :wink:
granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts
I dont know much about this, but I'm sure thers more to it than just that.  Also, I think its pretty evident that the 360 isn't twice as powerful.  Is gears twice as good looking as mgs4? does it even look better?  the 360 may be more powerful, but the games dont neccesarrily look any better.agentfred
man stfu about mgs4 you have not even seen the game up and running!!!!!! it may only look a little better with the mulit-plat but pg3'gow' look damm good....i know it's hard to take the truth like a man i know because i have a ps3 and right now i'm really thinking hard about selling it..
bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bragac200
I dont know much about this, but I'm sure thers more to it than just that.  Also, I think its pretty evident that the 360 isn't twice as powerful.  Is gears twice as good looking as mgs4? does it even look better?  the 360 may be more powerful, but the games dont neccesarrily look any better.agentfred

Good point, although to be fair, MGS4 isn't actually out yet.  I think Gears does look better than near-term games like Motorstorm and all the other PS3 games out at the moment, including Resistance.

It's also certainly possible to "push" weaker hardware very far - look at the PS2.  For example, if a lazy 360 developer goes up against a brilliant PS3 developer it's possible the PS3 game could look better.
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
You know nothing about graphics processors.  If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.Teufelhuhn
no thanks we will pass, plenty of well respected tech and gaming sites have put the consoles thru the motions and X360 has been the clear winner on the GPU, RAM architecture, and some feel the X360 CPU is better than the Cell for gaming. So we will pass on the lesson as there are plenty of resources to learn like the one below my sig.
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

thanks topic creater for creating a thread based on misinformation that has already been discussed from awhile ago.  Thanks for "laying that to rest." 

The cell does have advantages and power that CAN create images and "graphics."  It is just harder to do.  THat is why they almost didnt put a GPU in the ps3 to begin with.  That would have been too difficult to do ports and other things like that because developers wouldn't want to learn all about the cell and how to utilize its power properly. 

Plus it doesnt matter the graphics of both systems are good. Everyone thinks VF5 looks great and it uses a 6800 AGP (bandwith limited) GPU along with a p4 3.0ghz.  case closed.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.Danthegamingman
no thanks we will pass, plenty of well respected tech and gaming sites have put the consoles thru the motions and X360 has been the clear winner on the GPU, RAM architecture, and some feel the X360 CPU is better than the Cell for gaming. So we will pass on the lesson as there are plenty of resources to learn like the one below my sig.

If a lesson weren't needed, then people wouldn't be posting triangle fillrate numbers for a GPU with unified shaders, because they would know such a number is completely meaningless.

bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bragac200
[QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.Teufelhuhn

I have a policy, and its not to argue with people who have no idea what they're talking about.  :wink:

There are several methods of arguing, I'll cover two here.  One is to actually cite legitimate points, facts, etc.  Another way is to insult the other party. 

Perhaps once you actually learn something about graphics processors we can have a real debate, you and I.  In the mean time, you should learn how to debate.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.bragac200

I have a policy, and its not to argue with people who have no idea what they're talking about. :wink:

There are several methods of arguing, I'll cover two here. One is to actually cite legitimate points, facts, etc. Another way is to insult the other party.

Perhaps once you actually learn something about graphics processors we can have a real debate, you and I. In the mean time, you should learn how to debate.

I've already made my point.  If I were actually convinced you knew what you were talking about, I'd be willing to argue.  But what's the point of arguing with someone who doesn't know what you're talking about?
bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bragac200

I'm gonna go take a shower, hopefully someone else can keep the idiots in check :)

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

thanks topic creater for creating a thread based on misinformation that has already been discussed from awhile ago.  Thanks for "laying that to rest." 

The cell does have advantages and power that CAN create images and "graphics."  It is just harder to do.  THat is why they almost didnt put a GPU in the ps3 to begin with.  That would have been too difficult to do ports and other things like that because developers wouldn't want to learn all about the cell and how to utilize its power properly. 

Plus it doesnt matter the graphics of both systems are good. Everyone thinks VF5 looks great and it uses a 6800 AGP (bandwith limited) GPU along with a p4 3.0ghz.  case closed.

Dave_NBF
so what your saying is that vf5 sould look and play better on the ps3 since it was built on there then will be ported to the 360 we shall see!!!!!
bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bragac200
[QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.Teufelhuhn

I have a policy, and its not to argue with people who have no idea what they're talking about. :wink:

There are several methods of arguing, I'll cover two here. One is to actually cite legitimate points, facts, etc. Another way is to insult the other party.

Perhaps once you actually learn something about graphics processors we can have a real debate, you and I. In the mean time, you should learn how to debate.

I've already made my point.  If I were actually convinced you knew what you were talking about, I'd be willing to argue.  But what's the point of arguing with someone who doesn't know what you're talking about?

Hahahaha, you keep repeating the same thing over and over again.  Another hallmark of the person who can't argue.  Nice work.  Why don't you repeat it a few more times?  Perhaps that will make it true?

_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
[QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.Teufelhuhn

That's a damn good policy.
buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
I don't see any mention of texture sizes, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, HDR technology, or any of that other stuff that makes games look good. Nvidia makes the best GPUs as far as graphics quality is concerned. I don't know if you could use any of that techonolgy on a conole because you really wouldn't notice a difference on a TV.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
no thanks we will pass, plenty of well respected tech and gaming sites have put the consoles thru the motions and X360 has been the clear winner on the GPU, RAM architecture, and some feel the X360 CPU is better than the Cell for gaming. So we will pass on the lesson as there are plenty of resources to learn like the one below my sig.Danthegamingman
Problem is two of those link to pages which don't exist and two more link to videos with John Carmack who is a predominantly PC developer and so of course would favor the more PC-like 360 as opposed to the Linux-running assymetrical octo-core design of the PS3.

I've already made my point. If I were actually convinced you knew what you were talking about, I'd be willing to argue. But what's the point of arguing with someone who doesn't know what you're talking about?
Teufelhuhn
bragac listen to him, he has more credibility than you I'm afraid.
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.bragac200

Hahahaha, you keep repeating the same thing over and over again.  Another hallmark of the person who can't argue.  Nice work.  Why don't you repeat it a few more times?  Perhaps that will make it true?

What are you laughing about? He clearly said he doesn't argue with people who don't know what they're talking about and after this thread, it's safe to say that you don't.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Wow Im sure you are a credit to all xbox fans, its this sort of blind fanboyism (lol is this a word) that embarresses supporters of a system.  This actually reminds me of the DC and the PS2, everybody said the PS2 could not output as nice visuals as the DC when it came out due to it having half the video ram and for the best part of a year they were right.  Every gen Sony make a console which is hard to program and if you look back you can clearly see why, once developers get to grips with the hardware the games really improve but it takes time which inturn means the lifespan is extended greatly.  I feel this is the same way the PS3 will be heading.

I just want to add Im not biased towards Playstation, I am a Wii owner infact that plans on picking up a 360 when I either have the cash or it drops in price whatever comes first.

Metrovania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Metrovania
Member since 2003 • 2540 Posts
Where'd you get you numbers from?
Silvereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Silvereign
Member since 2006 • 3006 Posts
There was a debate about Wii graphics? No one is arguing that the Wii's graphics are better than anything. Even Nintendo admits to this.

I think you mean the debate over if the 360 or the PS3 has better graphics or not.

Finnally when putting things to rest you need to use fire, wooden stakes, or silver bullets. Since those only works on trolls, vampires, and werewolves; and there's no known method of putting debates to "rest" I wish you good luck with that.

RahnAetas

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25357111
ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 ish_gibbor
Member since 2004 • 1717 Posts
we have known the GPU power for a long time on both PS3 and 360. Gamespot had the specs posted for all three systems, and I believe they still do.
hoagey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hoagey
Member since 2003 • 164 Posts
[QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="bragac200"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know._AsasN_

What are you laughing about? He clearly said he doesn't argue with people who don't know what they're talking about and after this thread, it's safe to say that you don't.

He's right.... YOU CAN DIG UP WAY MORE OWNAGE BY INCLUDING TEXTURE FILL RATES!!!1!one!!!
hydrophoboe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 hydrophoboe
Member since 2004 • 444 Posts
The Cell can output graphics? That is the biggest load of tripe I have ever read in my life.

I don't see any mention of texture sizes, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, HDR technology, or any of that other stuff that makes games look good. Nvidia makes the best GPUs as far as graphics quality is concerned. I don't know if you could use any of that techonolgy on a conole because you really wouldn't notice a difference on a TV.

uh, no. Nvidia has not always made the best GPUs, and neither has ATi. ATi usually had the winning streak against NVIDIA up until the the 6 series (where the performance was better but the quality was not) but the x9xxx series really hammered the 7 series because of its lack of HDR FP 16 support with anti-aliasing simultaneously. The 8 series of Nvidia is obviously superior on every count, however--I do not know what ATi will pull out next-gen.
OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OfficialJab
Member since 2005 • 3249 Posts

OK, there has been a lot of "debate" here about which console has the best graphics and best graphical hardware. I am about to lay this issue to rest, once and for all by doing what nobody ever seems to do here: look up the facts. I will then delve a bit into the history of how these facts came to be. First, it is important to understand where graphics come from. bragac200

FFS I hate when people try to sound like a genius university professor. This is System Wars, not the damn Discovery Channel. You'll 'delve into the history of how these facts came to be' and 'lay this issue to rest, once and for all'. It's not like we think "wow this guys freakin brilliant, look at that language!". We just see someone trying too hard to make us think that. Just say you'll show us info on graphics in consoles so people will stop spamming this topic. God almighty.
Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ichiroisawsome
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts

IF YOU POST A REPLY, BE SURE TO READ THE POST FIRST (I can't wait for sheep to post "but gameplay > graphics!!!!1111")

OK, there has been a lot of "debate" here about which console has the best graphics and best graphical hardware. I am about to lay this issue to rest, once and for all by doing what nobody ever seems to do here: look up the facts. I will then delve a bit into the history of how these facts came to be.

First, it is important to understand where graphics come from. Many cows seem to think that graphics are generated by the CPU, and therefore the Cell is advantageous. Unfortunatelyl for them, this is basically wrong. Video game graphics are made of triangles, which are drawn by the graphics processing unit (GPU). This is a completely separate, and distinct, piece of hardware from the CPU and for bandwidth reasons cannot offload triangle drawing to the CPU.

The fill rate is the theoretical maximum number of triangles the GPU can handle per second. The higher this number, the more complex a 3D scene the console (or PC) can render at real time rates (24 FPS and up).

Now first a quick note, for ownage reasons, Nintendo dos not publish their fill rate. In fact, Sony tried to keep their fill rate a secret for a long time for the same reason. But back to Nintendo - here I used the Xbox 1 fill rate because a lot of people on this board (probably more than 60%) think the Xbox 1 has better graphics than the Wii.

The conclusion is pretty obvious: the reason the Xbox 360 has better graphics than the other two consoles is that it has a much, much more powerful video card. It is nearly twice as powerful as the PS3's "reality synthesizer" and over 10 times more powerful than the Wii's Hollywood.

But let's take a step back, and understand why this is. Why would Sony, obviously trying to build the most powerful console known to man, put a slow graphics chip inside their console? Well the reason is, this wasn't the plan. In fact, when Sony began the Cell project there were, in fact, two cell projects. One cell was designed to function as a CPU (what has become the "cell broadband engine" in the PS3 today), and another cell was designed to be a GPU. The GPU was designed in-house and was meant to be the successor to the emotion engine.

But unfortunately, developing modern graphics processors from scratch is very difficult and to make matters worse, ATI and NVIDIA hold a plethora of patents in this area, meaning a new chip has to skirt (or license) all of these patents. Ultimately, this Cell GPU project fell far behind schedule and 2 years before the PS3's launch Sony made a hard decision: kill the Cell GPU project. Sony then licensed a new chip from NVIDIA to be used in the PS3.

The chip they licensed is neither a 6800 nor a 7800 because it was developed by a separate team working simultaneously as the team at NVIDIA which ultimately developed the 6800 and now the 7800 and 8800. It seems this team may have been smaller, or underfunded, or perhaps neglected by NVIDIA because what they came up with - the RSX - is actually not very fast. What is more likely, though, is that Sony was had made a decision to include a hard drive in every unit and was trying to find ways to cut costs. And so they whacked one of the most important components of a game console: the GPU.

So, cows, now you know why your console has significantly worse graphics than the Xbox 360, and will continue to have worse graphics for the duration of the life of the console. Also, sheep now know how much slower their console is than the other two and hopefully will stop posting pointless threads like "the Wii has pixel shaders after all!!!!".

bragac200

Peak numbers mean nothing.  MS claimed that the Xbox could to 116 million polygons a sec.  Sony claimed that the PS2 could do 66 million polygons a sec.  Nintendo modestly claimed 6-12 million polygons a sec (actual in game).  Well guess what the PS2 never pushed more than 12 million in actual gameplay and the Xbox topped out at about 40 million.  The GameCube?  Well the GameCube had launch games at 20 million polygons a sec (Rogue Squadron) with 8 hardware lights and bump-mapping and eventually eclipsed 35 million polygons a sec (RE4) with 16 hardware lights.  Maximum fill rates mean nothing because as mentioned above we know how that turned out.  The Wii obviously is more capable than the GameCube and Xbox, so claiming it to be just an Xbox 1 is ridiculous and shows how ignorant you are.  Cut and pasting ramblings in not knowledge.  Your thread failed and just shows how little you know.  Do yourself a favor and next time you want to quote numbers make sure it is not Wikipedia.  If you want real information you can go to Extremetech.com and Anandtech.com. 
x11231986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 x11231986
Member since 2007 • 249 Posts

OK, there has been a lot of "debate" here about which console has the best graphics and best graphical hardware. I am about to lay this issue to rest, once and for all by doing what nobody ever seems to do here: look up the facts. I will then delve a bit into the history of how these facts came to be.

First, it is important to understand where graphics come from. Many cows seem to think that graphics are generated by the CPU, and therefore the Cell is advantageous. Unfortunatelyl for them, this is basically wrong. Video game graphics are made of triangles, which are drawn by the graphics processing unit (GPU). This is a completely separate, and distinct, piece of hardware from the CPU and for bandwidth reasons cannot offload triangle drawing to the CPU.

The fill rate is the theoretical maximum number of triangles the GPU can handle per second. The higher this number, the more complex a 3D scene the console (or PC) can render at real time rates (24 FPS and up).

Now first a quick note, for ownage reasons, Nintendo dos not publish their fill rate. In fact, Sony tried to keep their fill rate a secret for a long time for the same reason. But back to Nintendo - here I used the Xbox 1 fill rate because a lot of people on this board (probably more than 60%) think the Xbox 1 has better graphics than the Wii.

The conclusion is pretty obvious: the reason the Xbox 360 has better graphics than the other two consoles is that it has a much, much more powerful video card. It is nearly twice as powerful as the PS3's "reality synthesizer" and over 10 times more powerful than the Wii's Hollywood.

But let's take a step back, and understand why this is. Why would Sony, obviously trying to build the most powerful console known to man, put a slow graphics chip inside their console? Well the reason is, this wasn't the plan. In fact, when Sony began the Cell project there were, in fact, two cell projects. One cell was designed to function as a CPU (what has become the "cell broadband engine" in the PS3 today), and another cell was designed to be a GPU. The GPU was designed in-house and was meant to be the successor to the emotion engine.

But unfortunately, developing modern graphics processors from scratch is very difficult and to make matters worse, ATI and NVIDIA hold a plethora of patents in this area, meaning a new chip has to skirt (or license) all of these patents. Ultimately, this Cell GPU project fell far behind schedule and 2 years before the PS3's launch Sony made a hard decision: kill the Cell GPU project. Sony then licensed a new chip from NVIDIA to be used in the PS3.

The chip they licensed is neither a 6800 nor a 7800 because it was developed by a separate team working simultaneously as the team at NVIDIA which ultimately developed the 6800 and now the 7800 and 8800. It seems this team may have been smaller, or underfunded, or perhaps neglected by NVIDIA because what they came up with - the RSX - is actually not very fast. What is more likely, though, is that Sony was had made a decision to include a hard drive in every unit and was trying to find ways to cut costs. And so they whacked one of the most important components of a game console: the GPU.

So, cows, now you know why your console has significantly worse graphics than the Xbox 360, and will continue to have worse graphics for the duration of the life of the console. Also, sheep now know how much slower their console is than the other two and hopefully will stop posting pointless threads like "the Wii has pixel shaders after all!!!!".

bragac200

It behooves you to know that the PS2 console did not even have a GPU in it's heat sink.

And it produce graphics nearly on par with the Xbox 360 and GC.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Why do I need 500 million triangles when 9,375,000 is good enough for me...?

GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Lol thats why MGS4 looks better then  most 360 games?  and  1st year PS3 games look as good as 2nd Year 360 games. buddy you dont know much:lol:  oh and getting your info from Wikipedia is the dumbest thing you can do, i can go in ther and edit it right now.
-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts
Wikipedia YOU FAIL!
x11231986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 x11231986
Member since 2007 • 249 Posts
Lol thats why MGS4 looks better then most 360 games? and 1st year PS3 games look as good as 2nd Year 360 games. buddy you dont know much:lol: oh and getting your info from Wikipedia is the dumbest thing you can do, i can go in ther and edit it right now.GsSanAndreas
Done http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_%27Reality_Synthesizer%27 PS3 RSX = 750 Million polys now !!! I broke teh NDA!!!We teh PWNSOORS!!!!
fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
The 360 and the PS3 both have good looking games. Your numbers mean nothing to me. All I care about is: $399 > $599.
RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RickLemieux
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts

Lol thats why MGS4 looks better then  most 360 games?  and  1st year PS3 games look as good as 2nd Year 360 games. buddy you dont know much:lol:  oh and getting your info from Wikipedia is the dumbest thing you can do, i can go in ther and edit it right now.GsSanAndreas

Ummm Shouldn't first year PS3 games look better than anything on 360.  It came out a year later and is more expensive.  The Xbox came out after PS2 and had better graphics....N64 after PSX....Snes after Genesis.....etc. 

RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RickLemieux

The 360 and the PS3 both have good looking games. Your numbers mean nothing to me. All I care about is: $399 > $599.
fartgorilla

Good point

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
What the hell is this significantly worse graphics than the xbox360 version crap? At most the ps3 looks a bit worse. Don't be a fanboy. The xbox360's gpu maybe stronger than the RSX but why did you only compare triangles/sec, you should compare other different performance factors of the GPU as well....
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

[QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Lol thats why MGS4 looks better then  most 360 games?  and  1st year PS3 games look as good as 2nd Year 360 games. buddy you dont know much:lol:  oh and getting your info from Wikipedia is the dumbest thing you can do, i can go in ther and edit it right now.RickLemieux

Ummm Shouldn't first year PS3 games look better than anything on 360.  It came out a year later and is more expensive.  The Xbox came out after PS2 and had better graphics....N64 after PSX....Snes after Genesis.....etc. 

Despite the fact that you're right, he'll never listen.
RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RickLemieux
[QUOTE="RickLemieux"]

[QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Lol thats why MGS4 looks better then  most 360 games?  and  1st year PS3 games look as good as 2nd Year 360 games. buddy you dont know much:lol:  oh and getting your info from Wikipedia is the dumbest thing you can do, i can go in ther and edit it right now.Vyse_The_Daring

Despite the fact that you're right, he'll never listen.

I know, but someone had to say it. 

Did you hear that if you play the PS3 launch games, you turn into a 360 fanboy?

I also heard that if you play the Wii for an hour, your arms fall off....but if you play with yourself for an hour does you Wii fall off.

esk59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 esk59
Member since 2005 • 1290 Posts
[QUOTE="Danthegamingman"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]You know nothing about graphics processors. If you'd like a free lesson, please let me know.Teufelhuhn

If a lesson weren't needed, then people wouldn't be posting triangle fillrate numbers for a GPU with unified shaders, because they would know such a number is completely meaningless.

And triangle filrate numbers for a dedicated shader architecture are extremely meaningful and useful? That 275 million triangles a sec are about as important as the PS2's 75 million triangles a sec number.

Why don't you just stop insulting people while making dumb comments?

_