Koei Tecmo revises forecast after Ronin underperformes...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

https://twistedvoxel.com/koei-tecmo-revises-forecast-rise-of-the-ronin-sales-underperform/

Some news coming out of Japan... Koei Tecmo is changing its projections for the fiscal year due in part to lower than expected sales of Rise of Ronin...

It seems across the board they are expecting a software backslide of 70 million... Which is just so much money. 70 million? Good God... 😳

So I'm gonna ask what's on everyone's mind, including Sony fans... How long before this game is given a chance to recoup it's losses on Xbox/PC and why not switch too? Graphically switch could probably handle it from what I hear.

What say you system wars? Another example of a mid game suffocated by exclusivity...? Only exposed to one install base and unable to meet its likely astronomical budget seems like bad business to me, but who knows maybe watching the industry slowly crumbling to the tune of over budgeted games and a failing exclusive games model is good for gaming?!

Will you be picking the game up on Xbox, pc or switch were it to release there?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46310 Posts

Can't believe companies are still going against the current with this ancient, almost archaic "exclusive" model. Only Nintendo can still afford to do exclusives, for everyone else this model is dead.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38853 Posts

Oh no, i said the game was gonna bomb, and was called a hater of the game because of it. Now who was right? Well, me of course. Nothing new.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts

Glad they got handsomely compensated for their exclusivity arrangement 🤭😆😂🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen

You'd think this would be Team Ninja's wake up call, but no, the next game will have the same dogshit writing, same pathetic level design and use the same engine made for the 6th gen. Genuinely a dumb company that doesn't learn anything.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

Force, marketed, inorganic and completely unnecessary exclusivity hamstrings yourself. Absolutely zero reason this game could not have been on PC and sold a few million more copies.

Sadly instead of looking inward and blaming themselves for the poor sales, they will blame...other things. The correct lesson will not be learned from this.

Also, this game is basically Assassin's Creed Japan, yes? Yeah that niche has been pretty much carved out, try something else.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Can't believe companies are still going against the current with this ancient, almost archaic "exclusive" model. Only Nintendo can still afford to do exclusives, for everyone else this model is dead.

I'm still shocked these folks are making the same damn game time after time and expecting BETTER sales.

People want originality. I think consumers are being underestimated while corporations are being greedy. What we end up with is a bunch of crap and the hope that "not-Assassin's Creed but pretty-much-is-Assassin's Creed" will sell as much as "Assassin's Creed".

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

Poo cows. lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56123 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Force, marketed, inorganic and completely unnecessary exclusivity hamstrings yourself. Absolutely zero reason this game could not have been on PC and sold a few million more copies.

Sadly instead of looking inward and blaming themselves for the poor sales, they will blame...other things. The correct lesson will not be learned from this.

Also, this game is basically Assassin's Creed Japan, yes? Yeah that niche has been pretty much carved out, try something else.

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm still shocked these folks are making the same damn game time after time and expecting BETTER sales.

People want originality. I think consumers are being underestimated while corporations are being greedy. What we end up with is a bunch of crap and the hope that "not-Assassin's Creed but pretty-much-is-Assassin's Creed" will sell as much as "Assassin's Creed".

Ghost of Tsushima was the true AC In Feudal Japan, not this one lol.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Will you be picking the game up on Xbox, pc or switch were it to release there?

Nope. Looks lame.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yup, hit the nail on the head.

The reason why the AAA market is shrinking is that there is no originality. Every game is starting to feel the exact same, it's either some variation on:

• Open world
  • RPG
  • Third person
  • Multiplayer

And features some variation on:

• live service
  • mobile tactics (logon bonus)
  • skinshop and other microtransactions

Games are constantly fourth wall breaking, constantly remind you you are playing a product, a product that needs to be payed for, and if you're not up for paying you're a peasant (as soon as you want anything extra be prepared to grind or pay up).

This is really starting to drain people.

It's been a while since game clones (COD clones, WOW clones, ...) were a lucrative market.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25

@R4gn4r0k: this is why I think I enjoyed Outcast: A New Beginning so much. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game...but it wasn't a particularly great game. AAA games often have better quality, for example, at least technically.

But it was original, and it was whimsical in a sense. It was less concerned with impressing you and more concerned about being fun...which was impressive.

We need more games like that. Games where your initial reaction might be to roll your eyes but, if you relax and give in to it, are a lot of fun. Games where you have to take a grain of salt with your reward, that are fun but maybe a little rough around the edges.

First game I've played from start to finish in a long, long, long time.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@davillain said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Ghost of Tsushima was the true AC In Feudal Japan, not this one lol.

Ah maybe that's what I was thinking of.

Is Ronin more like a soulsborne then?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

@R4gn4r0k: this is why I think I enjoyed Outcast: A New Beginning so much. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game...but it wasn't a particularly great game. AAA games often have better quality, for example, at least technically.

But it was original, and it was whimsical in a sense. It was less concerned with impressing you and more concerned about being fun...which was impressive.

We need more games like that. Games where your initial reaction might be to roll your eyes but, if you relax and give in to it, are a lot of fun. Games where you have to take a grain of salt with your reward.

Yeah I've been enjoying games that fly under people's radar.

I bring Alone in the Dark as my current example: often touted as a game in the exact same style as the recent RE reboots (the fact that Alone in the Dark has shooting and a TP camera would have you believe as much).

But the game really doesn't have that much in comon with RE, in fact the ideas this reboot brings makes it something totally unique.

It feels a lot like the original game, it nails the horror and adventure atmosphere. It has some of the best sound design in the industry (when you walk over a wooden floor you can really hear every step, every creek...)

It's just an overall fun game, the puzzles aren't overly easy or overly hard. They just feel right, like the recent System Shock remake did.

The shooting and combat is ... lacklustre, to say the least. But EXPECTING bad shooting going in I was actually surprised that the shooting reminds me of a PS3 game at times, just a budget PS3 game which isn't the worst.

We shouldn't expect every game to look and run like GTA VI, we shouldn't expect every game to offer 80-100 hours of content, it's not good for the industry.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

Ah maybe that's what I was thinking of.

Is Ronin more like a soulsborne then?

From what I've been reading on reddit, it tries to be a lot more like AC and GOT than it tries to be like Souls or Nioh.

The combat is a lot easier and less punishing than in those games.

The combat mainly relies on nailing the "parry" input button.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

It was an okay-looking game releasing in a crowded release window from a studio whose reputation has fallen slightly in recent years.

It was always going to struggle.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44196 Posts

Pretty average game that really didn’t stand out in any way, an exclusive game limited to one system, and released at the same time as the highly anticipated Dragon’s Dogma 2. Seems like a logical outcome.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Kinda bummed because I like the culture.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

Team Ninja don't know how to do an open world. Ofc it's going to bomb. Seriously if they made it like Ninja Gaiden it would have sold better.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13993 Posts

Solid game. Enjoyable combat.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen

@Life-is-a-Game said:

Team Ninja don't know how to do an open world. Ofc it's going to bomb. Seriously if they made it like Ninja Gaiden it would have sold better.

You think its just open world? Their level design since Nioh 1 has been pathetic.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

I haven't played it and may not. Does it make you pay for fast travel like Dragon's Dogma 2?

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

Dude, the game was uninteresting from the start. Yet another Nioh game in disguise. They've made the same game 4 times in a row now. But yeah, lets blame "exclusivity" despite, more than probably, it would sell even worst on other platforms not even justifying the costs for porting

*rolls eyes

Team Ninja should just listen to the fans and make Ninja Gaiden 4 already

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69521 Posts

Sony paid for an exclusive flop.🙃

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5885 Posts

@Pedro: that's all they can do when they not producing any games for themselves.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen

@jcafcwbb said:

I haven't played it and may not. Does it make you pay for fast travel like Dragon's Dogma 2?

Why would you even ask this kind of questions? DD as an IP is very unique. They do things that most games don't, and some might like that, while others don't. Rise Of The Ronin is made by a developer that is utterly incompetent in everything they do but the combat system. They look at what other popular games do, and try to mimic it in hopes to strike gold. In this case, Ghost of Tsushima and AssCreed. Do you pay to fast travel in those games? Of course not, its made for the mega casual demographic. They even casualized the shit outta their combat system since Nioh 2 just to be more in line with the likes of AssCreed/GoT.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

You don't pay to fast travel in Dragon's Dogma 2.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jcafcwbb

@Pedro:

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragons-dogma-2-breaks-capcom-steam-records-amid-microtransactions-furore

They have deliberately limited the ability to fast travel but offer an alternative at $2.99. It is scummy behaviour and a reason why I will not buy the game. That and it sounds it is as crap as the first POS game.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1240 Posts

I think they'll go belly up before they make a Ninja Gaiden 4.... so I'll just take another Nioh game...maybe set it outside of Japan.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8233 Posts

Sonys money hat wasn't enough

Shame

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SargentD
@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro:

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragons-dogma-2-breaks-capcom-steam-records-amid-microtransactions-furore

They have deliberately limited the ability to fast travel but offer an alternative at $2.99. It is scummy behaviour and a reason why I will not buy the game. That and it sounds it is as crap as the first POS game.

Charging for a feature like fast travel is just a d*** move.

I'll buy DD2 when it's $10

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SargentD

@mrbojangles25 said:

We need more games like that. Games where your initial reaction might be to roll your eyes but, if you relax and give in to it, are a lot of fun. Games where you have to take a grain of salt with your reward, that are fun but maybe a little rough around the edges.

Honestly just sounds like you describing gaming pre 2014

I get exactly what you mean though. AAA gaming is soulless nowadays. These big studios take 0 risks. It's always very polished but also sterile. Creatively is lackluster to say the least. Thank God for smaller indie games. And atleast we have all the games from the past to play.

I want to try outcast, it's on my wishlist. Looks like a mix of Elex and Just Cause. Looks cool.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@sargentd said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Honestly just sounds like you describing gaming pre 2014

I get exactly what you mean though. AAA gaming is soulless nowadays. These big studios take 0 risks. It's always very polished but also sterile. Creatively is lackluster to say the least. Thank God for smaller indie games. And atleast we have all the games from the past to play.

I want to try outcast, it's on my wishlist. Looks like a mix of Elex and Just Cause. Looks cool.

Soulless is the right word.

I played Suicide Squad for example and eventhough there is a lot to do in the game:

It's all design by committee, it all feels like they were crossing off some sort of checklist.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts
@my_user_name said:

I think they'll go belly up before they make a Ninja Gaiden 4.... so I'll just take another Nioh game...maybe set it outside of Japan.

They already did with Wo Long. Maybe it's time they tried something else.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1253 Posts

Flop Of the ronin....... another Sony money hatted shambles

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1240 Posts

@Litchie:

Wo Long plays very different from Nioh. It's more like Sekiro

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@jcafcwbb: It is clear you have not played the game nor have you played the original. Fast travel is identical to the original game and you don't need to pay to fast travel.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 744 Posts

Pretending to be surprised

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jcafcwbb

@Pedro: Well your days of being wrong has certainly reached a middle.

I have tried to play the original game twice. Got it as a PS Plus game on the PS3 (I think), played it a bit and got bored by the garrison bit you cannot get past until you kill the first boss and gave up.

Bought it on the PS5 when it went on sale and tried it again - got past that bit to where you escort that first boss but was still bored by it - so gave up a second time.

Combat was awful, story-telling awful. Not my cup of tea.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro: Well your days of being wrong has certainly reached a middle.

I have tried to play the original game twice. Got it as a PS Plus game on the PS3 (I think), played it a bit and got bored by the garrison bit you cannot get past until you kill the first boss and gave up.

Bought it on the PS5 when it went on sale and tried it again - got past that bit to where you escort that first boss but was still bored by it - so gave up a second time.

Combat was awful, story-telling awful. Not my cup of tea.

This wasn't a debate on whether you like the game or not (don't really care). I was correcting your misinformation. 🤷🏾‍♂️

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jcafcwbb

@Pedro: So you are telling me you cannot pay for devices that will add to the amount of places you can fast travel to?

You either live by the design of few fast travel points or you add extra in for free. You do not charge for them. That is money-grabbing scumbag behaviour.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro: So you are telling me you cannot pay for devices that will add to the amount of places you can fast travel to?

You either live by the design of few fast travel points or you add extra in for free. You do not charge for them. That is money-grabbing scumbag behaviour.

You get the port crystals in the same manner you did in the original game via quests. If you or any gamer want to skip normal game progression you have the liberty to pay. Sometimes gamers forget that developers cater to a wide net and if gamers want to pay for progression in a game, they will facilitate. That is why DLCs and micro transactions exist because gamers want it.🤷🏾‍♂️