Knack and Ryse are Essentially the Same Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by RealJaysonguy (219 posts) -

While I was thinking about my post arguing that the Xbox One and ps4 lineups were identical in quality, a strange realization came over me I'd like to discuss before leaving the console hand-shaking pleas behind and letting you all get back to your pissing contests over which 20 launch games are better --

Knack and Ryse: Son of Rome are the exact same game in different skins. Having now played both, I've realized that both games funnel you down artificially straight and narrow paths and throw the same hoards of enemies at you for 15 hours to battle in a God of War-lite manner.

<<< These two are exactly the same.

The gameplay literally has you pressing the same combination of buttons to eliminate your enemies, and both offer just a little variety in what you can do. An exercise to do in this thinking is to imagine stripping away the visuals and the style -- just think about a stick figure fighting stick figures -- Now, imagine playing both stick figure games and try and tell me which one is different.

I urge any of you to try playing both games and argue you differently. In fact, I dare you. But in all honesty, don't. Because neither game is very good.

#2 Edited by lundy86_4 (42798 posts) -

#3 Posted by chapnzaba (2302 posts) -

Uhhh sure perhaps, but there's no denying that they are presented completely differently... Knack is supposed to be a game for children while Ryse is supposed to be for the more "hardcore"

#4 Posted by gamefan67 (9840 posts) -

imagine how many identical platformers we would have if we just stripped it down to stick figures.

#5 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

if thats the case, They both scored similar scores

#6 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16608 posts) -

Yeah, they both look like shitty games. And if review scores are to be trusted, they are both shitty games.

#7 Edited by GreySeal9 (23974 posts) -

Yeah, they do seem like the same shitty game in different skins. But at least Ryse has graphics going for it.

#8 Posted by remiks00 (1621 posts) -
#9 Edited by freedom01 (577 posts) -

well a youtuber did say that Ryse was a Knack for adults while Knack is for kids

#10 Edited by DonnaTroy (232 posts) -

Only knack is more fun.

#11 Posted by handssss (1766 posts) -

except one was clearly a much lower budget with much less time spent working on it.

#12 Edited by TheFadeForever (1676 posts) -
#13 Posted by GreySeal9 (23974 posts) -
#14 Posted by TheFadeForever (1676 posts) -
#15 Edited by MonsieurX (29132 posts) -
#16 Posted by PannicAtack (20921 posts) -
#17 Edited by silversix_ (13869 posts) -

No, Knack is at least playable. Watching some1 play Ryse gives you eye cancer, you play it and your brain explodes. Ryse is the definition is shovelware, Cooking Mama on Wii is more equal to Ryse.

#18 Posted by GreySeal9 (23974 posts) -

No, Knack is at least playable. Watching some1 play Ryse gives you eye cancer, you play it and your brain explodes. Ryse is the definition is shovelware, Cooking Mama on Wii is more equal to Ryse.

If Knack is playable and Ryse is not, why is Ryse 5 points higher on Metracritic? You'd think the non-broken game would be getting better scores, but it's not.

#19 Posted by RealJaysonguy (219 posts) -

I'm not sure you understand what shovelware is because even Cooking Mama isn't shovelware. In regards to Ryse, the game was converted from an Xbox 360 Kinect-only game, and in terms of the production values, Crytek clearly invested a lot of time and effort into making a quality title. But the game was intended to be an on rails experience, and it shows.

Look up Backyard Baseball on Wii, and feast your eyes on the true definition of shovelware.

#20 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@donnatroy:

do tell why

donnatroy is a fanboy. Look at his/her posting history.

while it isn't a substantial argument, Ryse doesn't look as fun as Knack. Knack looks like you can still manage to squeeze out a little fun from it while Ryse just looks like crap completely besides graphics.

#21 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8092 posts) -

I'd rent or borrow them. Or buy if they were 20 or less just to give them a try.

#22 Edited by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

conoslites brains are on acid

#23 Posted by GreySeal9 (23974 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@donnatroy:

do tell why

while it isn't a substantial argument, Ryse doesn't look as fun as Knack. Knack looks like you can still manage to squeeze out a little fun from it while Ryse just looks like crap completely besides graphics.

Knack doesn't look any more fun. It's just your Sony fanboyism making it look more "fun".

#24 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

You need some extenze.

#25 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@donnatroy:

do tell why

Knack doesn't look any more fun. It's just your Sony fanboyism making it look more "fun".

Maybe it's just your anti-sony butthurtisity that's making you say this. Knack's gameplay mechanics look much better than Ryse.

#26 Edited by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

You need some extenze.

my dick is 6.5 inches im fine with that.

#27 Edited by GreySeal9 (23974 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@John_Matherson said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@donnatroy:

do tell why

Maybe it's just your anti-sony butthurtisity that's making you say this. Knack's gameplay mechanics look much better than Ryse.

Again, you're a raging Sony fanboy, so your opinion doesn't count (I don't even know why fanboys bother giving their opinion; it's not like anyone is going to take it seriously). Also, why would I be butthurt over garbage like Knack?

If Knack had "much better mechanics", it would have a higher Metacritic score, yet it's 5 points lower.

#28 Edited by foxhound_fox (87318 posts) -
#29 Edited by lundy86_4 (42798 posts) -
#30 Edited by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

Just because they were both disappointments doesn't make them the same game.

#31 Edited by sukraj (21778 posts) -

ryse kills knack in the graphics department.

#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149955 posts) -

That's cool. Neither game interests me so maybe there's something to his theory.