Kinda pissed...sick of this gens multiplayer focus ruining single player games.

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 0

#1 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Ok, I just bought Dragon Quest IX.. And it seems like a traditional Dragon Quest game...cool... so I go to IGN to watch their video review. And here they talk about how none of the party members are actually characters, there only characters that other people play in multiplayer with you. There is no actual npc's that join you. The game in itself reminds me a bit of White Knight chronicles. Which is pissing me off. Whats up with this focus on multiplayer? RPGS are supposed to offer an epic single player experience. If I wanted to play an mmo, I'd play an mmo... Devs need to stop this crap of ruining single player games by making them multiplayer.. I don't want and mmo , and I don't want monster hunter type gameplay...Why does every jrpg now all of a sudden have monster hunter influence to it? Sigh... I guess I will just stick to P3P ... at least atlus hasn't ruined persona with that crap. I mean Dragon Quest has been a SIngle player game since its inception.. I was not expecting this!! I wanted a traditional story and single player game. This freakn sucks!

I was looking forward to a new DQ game. I can't find DQ5 in stores any where and I already played through the first 4 on NES back in the day and played through DQ4 remake last year..... What happened to level5? Jenne D'arc was a killer single player game , along with DQ8, Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy.. what single player isnt cool anymore level 5? IF this dev doesnt' knock it off, I won't be buying their games, period. I need a single player jrpg!! Persona 5 can't get announced soon enough..

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I like my SP... well, "single" and I greatly dislike when a game forces co-op on me and my SP,specially if it's an A.I.

xXTalismanXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xXTalismanXx
Member since 2008 • 916 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I like my SP... well, "single" and I greatly dislike when a game forces co-op on me and my SP,specially if it's an A.I.

GreenGoblin2099

Agree with you on that. A co-op mode should not impede on the SP experience, but instead be a bonus like other games that include the option.

zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts
Multiplayer is where the money is, and frankly, I love it. It's more fun playing a game co-op than with friends. It is also fun beating other people in competitive game types.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Multiplayer is where the money is, and frankly, I love it. It's more fun playing a game co-op than with friends. It is also fun beating other people in competitive game types.zbdyx
Nooooo! Stop ruining gaming. It wasnt meant to be this way. This is how gaming started, its like pollution and the earth, stop it !!!!

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Midnightshade29

Multiplayer is where the money is, and frankly, I love it. It's more fun playing a game co-op than with friends. It is also fun beating other people in competitive game types.zbdyx
That may be great when you are in school... but when your 31...who am I going to play a ds game with? :o

I bought the game thinking it was going to be like the old DQ games.. Like Dragon Warrior 1-4 that I remember playing back in the 80s or DQ7 and 8 on the PlayStation Consoles. Level 5 sucks this gen (besides Jeanne D'arc -- their last true SP game!)

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

xXTalismanXx

Agree with you on that. A co-op mode should not impede on the SP experience, but instead be a bonus like other games that include the option.

The games your playing arnt single player games, there co-op games, stop playing co-op games solo if you dont like playing with ai.

Its like playing a multiplayer game then complaing you have to play with other people.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Midnightshade29

[QUOTE="xXTalismanXx"]

warmaster670

The games your playing arnt single player games, there co-op games, stop playing co-op games solo if you dont like playing with ai.

Its like playing a multiplayer game then complaing you have to play with other people.

The thing is dragon quest since forever DQ 1-8 have all been Single Player... why trick people, into thinking this would be the same? I had no idea this wasn't a traditional DQ game. Why not call it DQ - the mmo experience or something? A spin-off this should of been.
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
I agree. I play video games when I want to be by my self and relax. I want to spend a few hours a week by my self and just play a nice, engaging single player game without feeling like the developer put in a lackluster effort on the single player in order to satisfy those that enjoy multiplayer. Some developers should just release multiplayer only games instead of tacking on an insipid single player mode.
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="xXTalismanXx"]

warmaster670

Oh you would be surprised how much I try to stay away from those, but in some cases is practically impossible.

As a RE fan, I HAD to try RE5, even if I knew I had to co-op... and yeah, that ruined the game for me (mostly... the game sucks anyway :P)

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Adapt or get left behind.
sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts
I disagree multiplayer is more fun for the most part You can tell from the beginning if a game is going to be single player or multiplayer oriented..
Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
I don't like the lean towards multiplayer, but I think DQIX could be a very fruitful experience.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Is just a fad, it must be, it MUST... :cry:

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 warmaster670

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="xXTalismanXx"]Agree with you on that. A co-op mode should not impede on the SP experience, but instead be a bonus like other games that include the option.

GreenGoblin2099

Oh you would be surprised how much I try to stay away from those, but in some cases is practically impossible.

As a RE fan, I HAD to try RE5, even if I knew I had to co-op... and yeah, that ruined the game for me (mostly... the game sucks anyway :P)

RE5 is so much better than the old REs its not even funny.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

While there are still great single player games out there, , yep, I agree, single player feels tacked on in many cases too.

I can only play multiplayer games for so long before I get tired of them, and relying on other people to be entertained varies a lot. Plus most don't last forever unlike single player in games.

I'm still playing/replaying games from previous gens with single players that were a high point in them as well.

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

warmaster670

You got it backwards, pal ;)

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I know what you mean, I hope to god Reach isnt like that, where they trade the good story for good multiplayer, they did that in Halo 2 but thankfully improved the story greatly in Halo 3 along with the awesome Multiplayer.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

warmaster670

RE5 characters, story and atmosphere are subpar, but for some reason i had blast with the local coop and in the end i enjoyed it more than REmake or RE3

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

warmaster670

No. :|

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Multiplayer centric games have no long lasting legs like single player games. It seems like a lot of mainstream current generation games will not be played 10-20 years from now.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Midnightshade29
Don't even get me started on RE5.. RE4 was enough of a change (which I didn't like to begin with) RE5 just was too much of a genre distroyer. These devs need to stop catering to the cod crowd.. Seriously. I am about to just play old games if this keeps up for certain series.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 warmaster670

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

GreenGoblin2099

You got it backwards, pal ;)

Nope, played them all recently, with teh exception of REmake and CV hthe old ones arnt that great.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Midnightshade29
I don't know if I should even keep playing DQ9.. I was having fun too, only a hour in. But then i watched that IGN review. Does anyone have the game? Is the story ok? Can you play it in SP only and still enjoy it? At least MGS Peacewalker focused on Story and didn't make you do MP..
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreenGoblin2099

Nope, played them all recently, with teh exception of REmake and CV hthe old ones arnt that great.

warmaster670

So I get you like mainstream likegames more... ok, I loved RE4, but RE5 destroyed every good thing I loved about the series. I can't say I'm looking forward a next RE now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It seems like in most multiplayer games, there are a few who always ruin the experience, at least that's been my opinion. Finding someone with similar experience and playing type is hit-and-miss.

I much prefer gaming at my own pace, going through a single player experience. I doubt that will ever go away. A multiplayer can deliver the frags, but it could never deliver a well-paced, detailed story. There are just too many variables.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I don't know if I should even keep playing DQ9.. I was having fun too, only a hour in. But then i watched that IGN review. Does anyone have the game? Is the story ok? Can you play it in SP only and still enjoy it? At least MGS Peacewalker focused on Story and didn't make you do MP..Midnightshade29
Yes the game is really fun and it's amazing that this kind of thing is on the DS. The single player campaign is still 30-60 hrs. long and the story is pretty good but it's not the main focus of the game. Multiplayer is local though so you need to find someone with a DS who likes RPGs and is for some reason carrying DQIX with them. It's a lot easier in Japan with their crowded cities and DQ craze. There is no character devlopment in your party at all since you make or select your party members, but the gameplay is still solid. Multiplayer lets you perform extra quests (you can also download weekly new quests) together with other people or you can help each other out in the main game.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

its not going to stop, this trend is going to continue and were going to get more games like COD which has less than 10 hour's of single player campaign but has a "robust" multiplayer

i also hate this trend

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

its not going to stop, this trend is going to continue and were going to get more games like COD which has less than 10 hour's of single player campaign but has a "robust" multiplayer

i also hate this trend

mlbslugger86

Yes, unless people stop buying them.

zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zbdyx

[QUOTE="zbdyx"]Multiplayer is where the money is, and frankly, I love it. It's more fun playing a game co-op than with friends. It is also fun beating other people in competitive game types.Wolfetan

Nooooo! Stop ruining gaming. It wasnt meant to be this way. This is how gaming started, its like pollution and the earth, stop it !!!!

There will only be a handful of singleplayer games left in the future. Most games are going the multipayer route, which I agree with.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I think the bigger problem is that most MP modes are simply the same as most other MP modes. I mean, how many ways can you possibly mix onslaught and CTF and Team deathmatch?

Another problem is the quality of the multiplayer. Bioshock 2 is a good example. The first game was created for a reason, it had a single player that was meant to be created the way it was. The second was just a cash in on the first and the developers of Bioshock added Multiplayer because they had no other way to actually make a truly special game.

Bioshock was made for a reason other than money, Bioshock 2 and MW2 and Halo Reach and Halo 3 and pretty much every other popular game now are made for profit. Rather than making a game because there is a story to be told, they make a story because there is a game to be sold.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
I love multiplayer/co-op games but not when the game isint built for them. I love games like Gears/Halo/Transformers WFC with co-op but I would not like co-op in games like Condemned. I play more co-op games than single player games so I tend to enjoy them more.
nZiFFLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nZiFFLe
Member since 2009 • 1481 Posts

I somewhat agree with you, but I think short single player games are more of a problem, though.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

[QUOTE="zbdyx"]Multiplayer is where the money is, and frankly, I love it. It's more fun playing a game co-op than with friends. It is also fun beating other people in competitive game types.zbdyx

There will only be a handful of singleplayer games left in the future. Most games are going the multipayer route, which I agree with.

Polluter...polluter. Seriously, Im sick of people like you. Im probably overreacting here, but this isnt how its suppose to be.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Than get the **** over it and buy games that have great single player experiences? I know crazy theory here. The way I see it I don't care what makes the game good. Single player, multiplayer or coop. Just be a good game all things considered.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
You don't play co-op with friends? :P I disagree, single player is what gaming is for, mainly. Anyway, for all the trash talking you do about it, get a damn Wii. That's the single player system. If not, well hell play Mass Effect or Dragon Age: Origins. I was just playing Mass Effect by myself for a few hours and having a damn good time.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 oldkingallant

[QUOTE="zbdyx"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Nooooo! Stop ruining gaming. It wasnt meant to be this way. This is how gaming started, its like pollution and the earth, stop it !!!!

Wolfetan

Polluter...polluter. Seriously, Im sick of people like you. Im probably overreacting here, but this isnt how its suppose to be.

Not overreacting in my opinion. The focus people are trying to place on multiplayer is absurd. In the future I'm supposed to be content entering arenas with set boundaries, given no story, and just go in and compete with people? No that's not how gaming's supposed to be. If devs want to sculpt epic single player experiences then incorporate co-op options (say if Mass Effect added campaign co-op instead of only AI allies), the game's all the better for it, there's an option to have fun with multiple people. If games want to be like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and be targeted for multiplayer experiences, so be it, but make the game playable on your own, and don't just make it a lame tacked on experience, try to actually make the single player worth a damn. Multiplayer should come second.

Tigerrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tigerrus
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
I like both single player and multiplayer. Though I prefer single player. Though when I can play with friends on the same console I vastly prefer co-op modes that make sense. I personally don't like the trend of online FPS games. I prefer platformers, and action rpgs. (No I don't prefer the vastly dumbed down action rpgs that are made to beable to be played by anyone and hardly can be considered an rpg anymore) Though I will play and enjoy most genres, I like having real time action and since I like stratagy I prefer action RPGs. And for the most part the game was either built for co-op or for single player in those genres. So I play the co-op ones with friends and the single player ones by myself.(Though the ones built for single player are better for me since I don't have to wait for other people to beable to game with me) And if you ever saw me playing in a mmo you would know I am more of a lone wolf in mmos. (I have actually found ones that are non "point and click" action RPGs) And the thing is if I don't feal like I know the person I really don't play on a team with them the best. So, for me Single greater than Offline Co-op greater than Online Co-op.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Can multiplayer not improve a game in any way?

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

Well I'm guessing you never played Dragon Warrior 3, or maybe i'm just confused, are you saying DQ9 is a bad game unless you have friends to play with you?

Maybe I'm ignorant but I've seen videos and I plan on getting DQ9 and the way you hire people and make NPCs to join you looks a lot like Dragon Warrior 3, but other then that I don't know anything else about the game.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 oldkingallant

Raymundo_Manuel
It can but when it detracts from the single player experience it does more bad than good.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
The only real games where I can say this is true is with CoD and Bad Company 2. Besides that, all other games I play have great single and multi players
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]

oldkingallant

It can but when it detracts from the single player experience it does more bad than good.

Well, considering the TC hasn't played more than an hour I think he's just complaining about the existance of MP, and hasn't even found out if it hampers the experience at all.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Who wants to play a game that lasts only a dozen hours? Certainly not the run and gunnning, COD worshipping, grenade spamming, teabagging, mic screaming FPS fanatics out there.

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

Nintendo doesnt Focus on Online multiplayer so go to them if you dont like multiplayer games. i like both so i got the wii

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
[QUOTE="xXTalismanXx"]

Agree 1000%. Look at RE5, and Crackdown 2, which was severely limited in SP variety so they could use coop.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I've had some amazing single player experiences with games, but the problem is they aren't games that I'll usually keep unless they are great. Many people will just rent them because the lack of replayability. I have no qualms with games like Braid though. Cheap, albeit short, but an amazing single player experience that I still come back to. Besides, I can't sell it anyway, being a downloadable title.

zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 zbdyx
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="zbdyx"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Polluter...polluter. Seriously, Im sick of people like you. Im probably overreacting here, but this isnt how its suppose to be.

You are sick of people who enjoy playing more with their friends than by themselves? Multiplayer is great, if you are good at it.
[QUOTE="zbdyx"]Multiplayer is where the money is, and frankly, I love it. It's more fun playing a game co-op than with friends. It is also fun beating other people in competitive game types.oldkingallant
You don't play co-op with friends? :P I disagree, single player is what gaming is for, mainly. Anyway, for all the trash talking you do about it, get a damn Wii. That's the single player system. If not, well hell play Mass Effect or Dragon Age: Origins. I was just playing Mass Effect by myself for a few hours and having a damn good time.

I wrote that wrong, lol.