Killing Floor 2 PC won't be dumbed down. Delayed on PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

A couple of days ago, Tripwire Interactive revealed that Killing Floor 2 would be also coming to Sony’s current-gen console. Naturally, a lot of PC gamers felt betrayed by Tripwire’s decision, which is why the company issued an official Q&A, addressing most of PC gamers’ concerns.

As Tripwire claimed, the lead platform for Killing Floor 2 is still the PC. Moreover, the game will be coming to the PC first (and there will also be a Steam Early Access program prior to its full release).

Furthermore, Tripwire claimed that the gameplay won’t be affected by the PS4 version, and that the PC version won’t be dumbed down.

“Short answer – heck no! Longer answer, the PS4 version has no impact on the gameplay of the PC version. PC is the lead platform, and the game will be separately tuned to play well on both the PC and the PS4. PS4 gamers are likely in for a harder game than they are used to. With that said, we feel many developers underestimate gamers on the consoles, and we feel that console gamers are ready for a challenge. Hell on Earth on PS4 will be HARD. With that said, the game will scale on easier difficulties for more casual gamers.”

Not only that, but the game’s PC visuals won’t be downgraded after the team’s decision to bring its title to Sony’s console (in short, don’t expect any ‘parity’ between them).

“Short answer – heck no! Longer answer, the PS4 is a powerful machine, much more powerful than the PC min spec. We’re not dealing with last gen consoles here. Honestly, last gen consoles created an annoying phenomenon. In the “old days” when a PC game came out and you cranked up all the graphics options and the game ran bad, you went out and upgraded your computer. In the past 5 years however so many games were developed with last gen consoles as the lead platform that they didn’t push modern computer hardware. So gamers got used to cranking the graphics options all the way up and getting 60FPS on their 4 year old PC (even though the games looked just like the console counterpart, or only marginally better). If a game came out that they couldn’t crank the graphics options up all the way on their 4 year old PC, they complained that the game was “poorly optimized”. Well I’m here to tell you KF2 will have some high end graphics options specifically for high end PCs (not all will necessarily be in when early access ships). Yes we are using UE3 (actually UE3.5), but it’s been heavily modified and modernized with some high end rendering features. The game will run well and look nice on reasonable PC hardware, but if you want to crank those graphics sliders up all the way make sure you have some high end PC hardware in your machine when the game ships.”

Regarding servers, there will be dedicated servers for the PC version, as well as a server browser.

Tripwire concluded that those not trusting them can wait for the PC reviews, and asked PC gamers to give them feedback instead of moan about what Killing Floor 2 could possibly turn into.

“If you are skeptical, don’t trust us. Wait for reviews, wait for a free weekend. Inform yourself before purchasing, it’s something you should do for any game purchase. What you shouldn’t do however is gripe and moan endlessly on what we “might” do or what your “worried we’ll do”. Give us feedback on what you’d like to see, give us feedback on what we’ve shown, and when you get your hands on the game give us feedback on what you like and what you don’t. But people speculating with their crystal ball (which more often than not has some storm clouds in it for some reason) doesn’t really contribute to the conversation.”

You can read the full Q&A here.

Source

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Nice. But what i don't get about concerns regarding controls is, why not just give K/M support on consoles?

Not every game works with controllers well. There was some fear that the console version would force alterations to the gameplay because of the slower input method and all i could think while reading was to give them K/M.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cloud_imperium
@deadline-zero0 said:

Nice. But what i don't get about concerns regarding controls is, why not just give K/M support on consoles?

Not every game works with controllers well. There was some fear that the console version would force alterations to the gameplay because of the slower input method and all i could think while reading was to give them K/M.

Yeah that's good idea but you know,,, "Ma Couch and controller"

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@Cloud_imperium said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

Which only proves the stupidity because not every controlling imput works for eveything. Ask any pc gamer and many, like me, will tell we use gamepads for many games just fine. That's one of the greatest features on pc. You can use any tool for any game. Most of the times atleast.

On consoles, almost never is K/M supported. I can see why in a pvp fps, for example. But for KF, it just makes sense. It's a twicth shooter.

Support the DS4, try to make it work has best has possible and i'm sure it'll play fine wiht it too. But, give the optimal control method to ps4 gamers and if they don't want to use it, thta's their issue.

Everyone has a keyboard and mouse anyway. But anyway, i'm happy they're not compromising their vision. Besides, considering mods and everything, i bet the majority of the community will be on PC.

But i'm happy console gamers can play the aswell.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cloud_imperium

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

Which only proves the stupidity because not every controlling imput works for eveything. Ask any pc gamer and many, like me, will tell we use gamepads for many games just fine. That's one of the greatest features on pc. You can use any tool for any game. Most of the times atleast.

On consoles, almost never is K/M supported. I can see why in a pvp fps, for example. But for KF, it just makes sense. It's a twicth shooter.

Support the DS4, try to make it work has best has possible and i'm sure it'll play fine wiht it too. But, give the optimal control method to ps4 gamers and if they don't want to use it, thta's their issue.

Everyone has a keyboard and mouse anyway. But anyway, i'm happy they're not compromising their vision. Besides, considering mods and everything, i bet the majority of the community will be on PC.

But i'm happy console gamers can play the aswell.

Well said.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#6 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Enjoyed the hell out of KF1, still play it often to this very day. KF2 will be just as awesome. No worries here.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

this game barely looks better than an xbox 360 game, how could the graphics possibly even be downgraded?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

this game barely looks better than an xbox 360 game, how could the graphics possibly even be downgraded?

probably that weak ass 5 year old mobile CPU can't render enough A.I to make it more challenging .....

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Guess I wont be playing it till the PS4 version releases. I'm ok with that.

" claimed that the gameplay won’t be affected by the PS4 version,"

I guess we'll see.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

"Dumbing down" a PC game to fit it on a console isn't going to happen this gen that often. Last gen it was almost solely the issue of the extremely limited amount of RAM the consoles had. Console games could not fit levels nearly as large or diverse as a PC games

Also last generation we saw control schemes for the consoles come a long way. Through a huge variety of new variables dealing with analog control and evolution with aim assist and other assists, analog stick are no longer the clunky, gameplay blockers they once were.

PC gamers are just looking for more reasons to bash consoles. That's all the whole "dumbing down" argument comes from anymore. The only thing to really suffer in a port today will be high end graphics, and even then the differences between the console version and PC version are going to be a lot less than they were. As a baseline the current gen consoles are powerful enough for a pretty high level of graphic fidelity. High end PCs may be many times more powerful, but games, even PC exclusives, rarely take advantage of that as it is due to a number of factors in development and sales.

What makes this port even easier is that they are using the Unreal 4 engine which already has PS4 support baked in. It's more work to get the menus and controls implemented correctly, then the QA needed for the PS4, but the game is being developed in a general sense on a multiplatform engine. Porting shouldn't be that difficult.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

They arent using UE4 they are using a modified UE3.5. I think people have a right to be worried when a PC game they love gets announced for consoles and I dont think its down the the graphical fidelity as much as it is the gameplay being designed around the way console gamers play shooters.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

That's what I was thinking.

And, Advanced Warfare is a twitch shooter and has no problem. Sounds like a bunch of hermits got their floppy tits in a bunch and needed a security blanket.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@pelvist said:

They arent using UE4 they are using a modified UE3.5. I think people have a right to be worried when a PC game they love gets announced for consoles and I dont think its down the the graphical fidelity as much as it is the gameplay being designed around the way console gamers play shooters.

You mean they play shooters like shooters?

With the exception of the fast paced, high action arena shooters like Quake and Unreal, which controllers can still handle to some extent, there really isn't much a controller can't do when it comes to FPSs.

I can't think of a single shooter that couldn't work on a controller. I wouldn't want to play a lot of shooters on a controller, mainly because I'm primarily a PC gamer and far more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard, but I can't think of a single PC exclusive FPS that absolutely couldn't be played in its current state with a controller.

Large advances in software that track and map analog input and huge jumps in UI design have really closed that gap. A mouse will always be far superior when it comes to precise aiming and reaction time, but that doesn't mean a controller can't play the same games. Hell even games like ArmA could work on a controller if they would properly map the more advanced squad control to radial menus (which may be a step up from the garbage UI they use in ArmA now anyways).

The original Killing Floor would have worked absolutely fine with a controller as long as the menus were rebuilt for controller input. I don't see any reason why Killing Floor 2 won't work fine either.

At this point given where technology sits I don't see any reason for PC gamers to get worried. It's not the console that dumbs the games down, rarely has been. It's always been the publishers demanding they make the game more accessible for all. That means lower learning curves, lower skill ceilings, and general gameplay balance so the game is easier for people. Complex mechanics and whatnot are not necessarily exclusive to the PC, it's just that the audiences on the PC have always been more receptive to that kind of gameplay and generally console gamers are more casual as whole. There are a lot of factors to why a lot of games get dumbed down when ported to a console, very few of which are actually the console or controller itself.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

@Wasdie said:

You mean they play shooters like shooters?

With the exception of the fast paced, high action arena shooters like Quake and Unreal, which controllers can still handle to some extent, there really isn't much a controller can't do.

I can't think of a single shooter that couldn't work on a controller. I wouldn't want to play a lot of shooters on a controller, mainly because I'm primarily a PC gamer and far more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard, but I can't think of a single PC exclusive FPS that absolutely couldn't be played in its current state with a controller.

Tribes: Ascend

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@Wasdie: No I mean they play shooters like shooters designed for controllers, complete with slower paced gameplay, aim assist and huge hit boxes.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@Wasdie: Like i said above, it's not that game wouldn't work with a controller. It's that it requires a higher level of accuracy that comes from a mouse.

What people were worried about is that, by having to bring the game to consoles, without forcing K/M on them, would require reworking the game's general designto be slower paced to fit with analog speed.

Sure, UT works on consoles. But with 3, the movement and switch speeds were noticeably decreased.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
@deadline-zero0 said:

@Wasdie: Like i said above, it's not that game wouldn't work with a controller. It's that it requires a higher level of accuracy that comes from a mouse.

What people were worried about is that, by having to bring the game to consoles, without forcing K/M on them, would require reworking the game's general designto be slower paced to fit with analog speed.

Sure, UT works on consoles. But with 3, the movement and switch speeds were noticeably decreased.

But you're incorrect. A controller could play Killing Floor. It's not that fast paced of a game at all. With modern engines and control inputs accuracy of a controller is far higher than its ever been. Mapping has gotten better and aim assists have gotten way better. It's not the situation it used to be.

UT 3 was even slow on the consoles. There is a reason why nobody really liked it. Epic went too far with everything.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wasdie  Moderator

@Dasein808 said:

Tribes: Ascend

Tribes worked on the PS2 and that was way before modern controller inputs and whatnot. It would play a bit different on the consoles, strategies would have to adapt, but it would be playable. I just would never want to play against somebody using a mouse and keyboard while using a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Was anyone really concerned about it being dumbed down? The first game was already pretty dumb.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Playing a FPS with a controller? I'd rather cheese grate my balls.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Playing a FPS with a controller? I'd rather cheese grate my balls.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Why would it be dumbed down anyway? The game isn't exactly complicated or complex, it's fun BECAUSE of its simplicity and the visceral satisfying combat, it won't be anywhere near as fun without the precision aiming of a mouse but it'll translate across to consoles no problem.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

Why would it be dumbed down anyway? The game isn't exactly complicated or complex, it's fun BECAUSE of its simplicity and the visceral satisfying combat, it won't be anywhere near as fun without the precision aiming of a mouse but it'll translate across to consoles no problem.

Outside of this nerd-cage, the majority of people find playing any game with a controller to more fun, I'm sure for most players the PS4 version will be the one to get. KF isn't particularly fast or demanding in terms of aiming ability - nor is it competitive, so it really doesn't need a mouse and keyboard that badly anyways.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Shame SNIPER and Uninspiredcup aren't around to talk about this.

Or Lostrib's lack of contribution.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

@bobbetybob said:

Outside of this nerd-cage, the majority of people find playing any game with a controller to more fun, I'm sure for most players the PS4 version will be the one to get. KF isn't particularly fast or demanding in terms of aiming ability - nor is it competitive, so it really doesn't need a mouse and keyboard that badly anyways.

It's not really fast but I always found popping off headshots super fun and I can't imagine being able to do it as fluidly with a controller, suppose it depends how well they set up aim assist and how responsive it is in general. You're right though it doesn't demand a KB&M I can just see it being one of those games like L4D that I found more fun with a mouse.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I guess we'll see.

are you even a hermit anymore?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

@Heil68 said:

I guess we'll see.

are you even a hermit anymore?

I still play some PC games, but my main focus for this gen has been X1/PS4

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

I would have played a lot more console games instead of skipping them entirely had there been K/M support. K/M adapters are poor subsitutes.

Is it really something that's up to the game developers though? I'd think that the console manufactuers are set against allowing K/M support in games, since that can easily allow third-party K/M manufactuers bite into their controller sales.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

£29.99 is far too much for a multiplayer only game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#30 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

where did you get that price from?

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

How can you dumb down a team-based, enemy waves game?

Anywho, I really want to try this game out for the new gore engine they've created. Been a long time since I've played a FPS with awesome gore(Besides for maybe Chivalry)

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

gluteus maximus

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup

@with_teeth26 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

http://www.gamingdragons.com/en/game/buy-killing-floor-2-steam-key.html

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@Wasdie said:

"Dumbing down" a PC game to fit it on a console isn't going to happen this gen that often. Last gen it was almost solely the issue of the extremely limited amount of RAM the consoles had. Console games could not fit levels nearly as large or diverse as a PC games

Also last generation we saw control schemes for the consoles come a long way. Through a huge variety of new variables dealing with analog control and evolution with aim assist and other assists, analog stick are no longer the clunky, gameplay blockers they once were.

PC gamers are just looking for more reasons to bash consoles. That's all the whole "dumbing down" argument comes from anymore. The only thing to really suffer in a port today will be high end graphics, and even then the differences between the console version and PC version are going to be a lot less than they were. As a baseline the current gen consoles are powerful enough for a pretty high level of graphic fidelity. High end PCs may be many times more powerful, but games, even PC exclusives, rarely take advantage of that as it is due to a number of factors in development and sales.

What makes this port even easier is that they are using the Unreal 4 engine which already has PS4 support baked in. It's more work to get the menus and controls implemented correctly, then the QA needed for the PS4, but the game is being developed in a general sense on a multiplatform engine. Porting shouldn't be that difficult.

You clearly have not been paying attention to recent releases almost AT ALL. Games get DELAYED on PC because they want to milk the console revenue. Games get graphically dumbed down because console companies threaten developers and pay them off. You don't think the console parity bullshit isn't affecting PC games as well? You are sorely mistaken.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 with_teeth26

@uninspiredcup said:

@with_teeth26 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

seems legit, especially since steam doesn't have a price listed yet.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@with_teeth26 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@with_teeth26 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Considering 20 games have been bought and it has been used for at least 3 years yea, it is. So eat that: suck.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

No fucking way will this start off at more than $39, more likely $29, on Steam Early Access - with the price likely to rise a little upon release. It's a multiplayer arena shooter, these games don't cost $50 on Steam.

I'm guessing $29 Early Access, $39 release.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup

You underestimate greed.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@m3dude1 said:

probably that weak ass 5 year old mobile CPU can't render enough A.I to make it more challenging .....

Since all the footage they have shown was on PC that doesn't make much sense.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup

Chances are as well (with Early Access) they will be selling separate content before the game is even fucking finished and using early access as an excuse to jack the price.

That will be the primary motivation (as with many early access). A system designed to polish games; abused to act as an early overpriced demo.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 with_teeth26
@uninspiredcup said:

@with_teeth26 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@with_teeth26 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Considering 20 games have been bought and it has been used for at least 3 years yea, it is. So eat that: suck.

given its the only place selling it right now I seriously doubt that is legit.

Tripwire have very close ties to steam, we wont find out how much it costs until it pops up on there.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Wasdie said:

This needs to be posted in every "dumb downed" thread.

Ripsaw1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ripsaw1994
Member since 2013 • 196 Posts

Good news

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
@Wasdie said:

Tribes worked on the PS2 and that was way before modern controller inputs and whatnot. It would play a bit different on the consoles, strategies would have to adapt, but it would be playable. I just would never want to play against somebody using a mouse and keyboard while using a controller.

I never played the PS2 version, but I played both the original and Tribes 2.

Of the 3 titles,I always felt that Ascend was by the far the fastest and had the greatest skill ceiling. I still wish that Hi-Rez had devoted more attention to it.

I don't necessarily mean that it would be completely unplayable, but more that the degree of aim-assist required to be able to effectively snap to targets with the appropriate amount of lead would ultimately leave it feeling too clunky to ever develop a dedicated fanbase.

As far as controllers vs. M/K players is concerned, I agree completely. I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as I got to use my M/K and my opponents their controllers.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

will this be coming to the Xbox One

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@mr-powers said:

@m3dude1 said:

That's what I was thinking.

You two enjoying being gfx whores, even though your systems of choice aren't the best at gfx...and will likely only become worse in relation to PC as the gen passes?

It's going to be a rough gen for you trolls.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cloud_imperium

@sukraj said:

No news about Xbox One version. It was recently confirmed to be coming to PS4 as well (after PC version) during Playstation Experience.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Here is their PSX panel

Loading Video...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@Jankarcop: driveclub takes a break from shitting on the visuals of every pc game available to say hi

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@sukraj said:

No news about Xbox One version. It was recently confirmed to be coming to PS4 as well (after PC version) during Playstation Experience.

oh okay I hope it does come to the Xbox it's my type of game.