Kena: BoS is only releasing at launch as a digital title. Does that bother anyone?

• 81 results
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

What is Sony thinking here? Is this a first step in going all-digital, and if so, why did they bother releasing a PS5 with a disc drive?

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/kena-bridge-of-spirits-release-date-gameplay-trailer#:~:text=On%20PS4%20and%20PS5%2C%20you,a%20physical%20edition%20available%20yet.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20164 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

What is Sony thinking here? Is this a first step in going all-digital, and if so, why did they bother releasing a PS5 with a disc drive?

They certainly make more off the digital purchases so this doesn't surprise me. I can wait for a physical release so whatevs.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20164 Posts

@shadyacshuns: Also you'll need a source for this before the thread gets locked.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Lems and sheep are scraping the bottom of the barrel to find anything negative to say about Sony lol. This game wouldn't even be able to run on a Switch and it's not coming to Xbox.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

Jokes on you as I was going to buy it on PC anyway and I went full digital gaming a very long time ago, so physical isn't my concern.

As Zero stated, where's your proof in all of this? (You got 1 hour to provide a link otherwise, this thread will get locked)

Edit: Thank you. As you were everyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@girlusocrazy said:

I don't really care about games doing this as long as there is a physical edition at some point, even if by limitedrun or others. If it's a game I want, I can wait, and more often I end up doing so anyway for a better price.

I was wanting to get a disc version so I could share it with a friend who's also interested, but I guess I'll go digital with this title. The dev claims they will put out a physical version later on, but that remains to be seen.

$40 is a good price for this game, if it isn't like 4 hours long.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag

@shadyacshuns said:
@girlusocrazy said:

I don't really care about games doing this as long as there is a physical edition at some point, even if by limitedrun or others. If it's a game I want, I can wait, and more often I end up doing so anyway for a better price.

I was wanting to get a disc version so I could share it with a friend who's also interested, but I guess I'll go digital with this title. The dev claims they will put out a physical version later on, but that remains to be seen.

Didn't Nintendo charge $60 for a 3 hour Kirby game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Didn't Nintendo charge $60 for a 3 hour Kirby game?

No idea.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@shadyacshuns: The developers said they'll look at doing a physical version at a later date. For now, if you wanna play it on PS4 or PS5, buy it digital.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@shadyacshuns: the game won't be 4 hour long.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@davillain- said:

@shadyacshuns: The developers said they'll look at doing a physical version at a later date. For now, if you wanna play it on PS4 or PS5, buy it digital.

Yeah... I don't trust pr speak from anyone. I hope this doesn't become a thing with Sony: dropping physical games for PS5.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts

This seems to be the way forward now for indie and even AA budget games.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag

@shadyacshuns said:
@davillain- said:

Yeah... I don't trust pr speak from anyone. I hope this doesn't become a thing with Sony: dropping physical games for PS5.

Kena is developed and published by Ember Lab. How is Sony responsible for the lack of a physical version?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Nah. Pretty sure the last time I bought a physical game was when I pre-ordered BotW along with the Switch. Tbh, not even sure why I did that either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@R4gn4r0k said:

If that's the case, then it won't be long before AAA titles also go that way. I guess the dystopian future is finally upon us!

@wonderwinner said:

@shadyacshuns: the game won't be 4 hour long.

I hope you're right bruh. Even 8 hours would probably be ok if it's high quality and fun.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@shadyacshuns said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

If that's the case, then it won't be long before AAA titles also go that way. I guess the dystopian future is finally upon us!

I hope you're right bruh. Even 8 hours would probably be ok if it's high quality and fun.

Look at video rental places, wasn't long until that disappeared

I'm not sure who is still buying DVDs and 4K blurays, but I do know streaming is taking a big chunk out of that.

In fact the only problem with streaming is you have no clue where to stream what movie.

Gaming doesn't have that problem. You want a game? Changes are big it's on PS4, or you can find it on Steam, etc.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator

@ConanTheStoner said:

Nah. Pretty sure the last time I bought a physical game was when I pre-ordered BotW along with the Switch. Tbh, not even sure why I did that either.

I still buy physical games for Switch but at this point, I might end up just buying BoTW2 through digital moving forward.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

tbh, I don't trust Nintendo or Sony to keep my digital purchases and ID safe, because they really don't seem to have the infrastructure to maintain those things. Microsoft, on the other hand, has all that. So for me: Xbox=all digital, and Sony/Nintendo=mostly physical whenever possible.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39607 Posts

What the f'ck????????????????????????????????????????????

Not only is it a big deal for me, but this guarantees me not getting the game. I don't buy anything digitally (on consoles) and was gonna sell the game when i am done with it. This is a deal breaker right there. FU Sony.

edit: just remembered that i wanted to get it on pc, so i was okay with it being digital only. THEN i remembered that i am gpu`less and that's the main reason i was looking at the PS5 version😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

It looks bad so no not really. Will get the superior PC version when it’s on sale.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

If it ever comes out on physical I might pick it up, I don't do digital unless it's small indie games or an INCREDIBLE deal.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

Smaller publisher, maybe they don't have money to advance royalties for wide distribution. Also, isn't game only $40? Fair trade, that's $30 off the jacked up $70 PS5 exclusive games are going for, so those who whine they like selling their games shouldn't bitch as most times I ever went to Game Stop and saw someone doing trades it is someone taking a stack of games to just put a dent into some shit game they still need to shell out money for in the end.

Anyhow, curious if Sony isn't publishing it, will it even be exclusive? Heard a rumor the PS5 exclusive Oddworld will come to Xbox Series S|X in coming weeks, so what, three month exclusivity if that's the case. Would this be in same boat? Are they just being smart releasing this as hazy Sony exclusive to get the hype and praise just to go multiplatform immediately after? And hey, if they don't have money to print and advance royalties, wouldn't surprise me if they port whore it later.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Oddworld Soulstorm did the same thing.

I'll wait for the physical version.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Not in the least and I'm buying day one to support the devs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70152 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/kena-bridge-of-spirits-release-date-gameplay-trailer#:~:text=On%20PS4%20and%20PS5%2C%20you,a%20physical%20edition%20available%20yet.

Sony is is not the publisher nor the developer of this game. 😐

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

Heres an idea ps5 with a disc drive can still download and play digital games. Who cares.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

Yeah it bothers me I prefer all games physical. The only time I buy digital is if its the only choice. I know some times games that are digital only will get a physical release later but they dont always so waiting for something that may not happen is not really a smart option either. I have not preorder because I was hoping limited run games or iam8bit or something would do a physical version. If it gets to like a day before and still know news on that I will go ahead of do the digital.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Look at video rental places, wasn't long until that disappeared

I'm not sure who is still buying DVDs and 4K blurays, but I do know streaming is taking a big chunk out of that.

In fact the only problem with streaming is you have no clue where to stream what movie.

Gaming doesn't have that problem. You want a game? Changes are big it's on PS4, or you can find it on Steam, etc.

I still buy 4k blurays more so if its not a disney movie has disney+ I use all the time so much of my child hood on there and also some good newer shows will never have time to watch everything I would like to watch. But I dont really stream the other things all the time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#31  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17870 Posts

This is Ember Lab's first major game and they don't have a publisher. It is much easier for them to release the game digitally as they don't have to partner with a publisher and worry about physical distribution. This is common on PC for smaller developers and it will be the norm in the coming years as we move away from physical discs. Don't try to make this a Sony thing when it isn't.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

If this game scores well, if i was Sony, i'd snatch the shit outta this dev.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

@hardwenzen: it’s a 40$ game dude, you really shouldn’t be interested as it’s going to be terrible because it so cheap!!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@djoffer123 said:

@hardwenzen: it’s a 40$ game dude, you really shouldn’t be interested as it’s going to be terrible because it so cheap!!

Not only is it not $70, which is a massive issue, but its not even an Sony exclusive, which i simply refuse to play.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k

@zeldabotw2 said:

I still buy 4k blurays more so if its not a disney movie has disney+ I use all the time so much of my child hood on there and also some good newer shows will never have time to watch everything I would like to watch. But I dont really stream the other things all the time.

I'm mostly interested in the older hand drawn disney movies. Are those available in 4K on Disney +?

I'm talking The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Pocahontas, etc..

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

@hardwenzen: understandably! Leave those dirty cheap games for the hermits!

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2148 Posts

I bet it only bothers the people who buy the game, finish it in a few days and sell at 2/3 the price, while pretending that it does not hurt the devs.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13083 Posts

@shadyacshuns: this has nothing to do with Sony.

That said I am getting it for Xbox anyway. It’s only a timed console exclusive.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

What's a physical game? Lol. But in seriousness, I've been basically all digital except on Switch for ages

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@rmpumper said:

I bet it only bothers the people who buy the game, finish it in a few days and sell at 2/3 the price, while pretending that it does not hurt the devs.

My wallet is more important than a multi million dev.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator

@BassMan said:

This is Ember Lab's first major game and they don't have a publisher. It is much easier for them to release the game digitally as they don't have to partner with a publisher and worry about physical distribution. This is common on PC for smaller developers and it will be the norm in the coming years as we move away from physical discs. Don't try to make this a Sony thing when it isn't.

At this point, I don't see physical games lasting longer whenever next-gen starts and to be frank, I stop caring for physical games since the start of PS4/Xbox One era.

Developers: My way or the highway.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KvallyX

@xantufrog said:

What's a physical game? Lol. But in seriousness, I've been basically all digital except on Switch for ages

The last time I bought a physical game was the Xbox 360.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Why are people bitching about Sony for a Non-Sony game?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KvallyX

Good preview video:

Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70152 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

No idea.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NathanDrakeSwag
@lebanese_boy said:

I already asked the TC that and never got a response.

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@davillain- said:

Kena is developed and published by Ember Lab. How is Sony responsible for the lack of a physical version?

I wonder why he's avoiding this crucial detail.

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

@shadyacshuns: Keep in mind that Kena is basically an indie title, and indies don't get physical releases often, unless they become super succesful like Hollow Knight. And then, disc version always release later.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

I got a digital PS5. Mainly because it was the only one I could snag. It hasn't bothered me at all.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@Dragerdeifrit: That's basically what I thought here, isn't this technically an indie game and don't indie games typically do digital-only releases to save on publishing/distribution costs? What are people so shocked about?