Just Completed Dead Space- MUST PLAY GAME!!

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonkaTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 MonkaTG
Member since 2006 • 2596 Posts

Hey all,

Just a few minutes ago, I completed Dead Space. Damn, that was an amazing game all around. Firstly, its powered by a deep and engaging story that places a value on the few characters in the story and help propell it through each of its exciting and different 12 chapters. Graphically, this game has top-notch detail, lighting, and technical effects. It also pulls of its dismemberment gameplay to perfection as the dismemberment is very believable and pleasing till the very end. Artistically, the aliens tend to scare A LOT. They are gruesome, grotesque and overall abominations.

The gameplay is tight as well, with an emphasis on an over-the-shoulder 3rd person view similar to an Uncharted or Resident Evil 4. The gameplay is very simple, with only a few weapons that you can upgrade as you progress. With each weapon, there are various uses for them and they each tend to correspond to a different type of creature. The boss fights always are exciting and the puzzles also test your logic and ability to solve tasks. The HUD in the game is all within your character, allowing you to stay in the game and keeping things scary.

Overall, this is a very scary game with a great atmosphere, tight gameplay, and a deep storyline that expands into animated movies as well. THIS IS A MUST-PLAY!

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Okay. Could this maybe have gone in a review?
EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

I don't like scary games.

I sold my Silent Hill after 20 mins playing it.:x

-Mad_Rhetoric-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Mad_Rhetoric-
Member since 2008 • 1765 Posts

EZs
:lol: anyways I played Dead space ad while it was fun, it was just a sad RE4 ripoff
Kiljoy66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kiljoy66
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts
After getting my first platinum trophy on it saturday, I am offically done with the game, beaten on hard like 3 times and impossible once, fun fun game though.
Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts
I won't be playing this game, and I'm not interested either. That's all I have to say about this.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
There is immense urge on this forum to bash this game. I'm glad you liked it, though. I liked it as well. One of the best games of 2008 for me.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Yup, Dead Space is a top quality polished gaming experience. I thought it might just be all gameplay, but I enjoyed the rich story, and how it tied in religion and more. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it was quite surprising to me that it was such a great package all around.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
I'm going to wait until it hits $30. It's caught in that zone, too long for a rental, too short for a buy
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

IMO Dead Space should've won the best graphics this year. I'm not too much into graphics, but I can hopnestly say that the graphics in that game boosted the atmosphere to space... to dead space.

Also, does no one finds funny how Dead Space is nominated for best voice acting and yet, the main character never speaks a single word?? lol

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

EZs
You don't have much to worry about from Dead Space. The horror in that game, if you can even call it that, is superficial to begin with that you reallllllllllly have to want to be scared.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Salt_The_Fries
This game definetly shines with headphones on.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Meh, I rented it. Played about half of it, sent it back. Clunky steel hallways, dark environments. Every time you complete a fetch or fix quest the hologram screen pops up and it's all "oh noes, monsters are trying to eat me! Run here next Issac, go do this, go fix that." I might buy it when it hits the bargain bin one day.
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Davidhye
Member since 2005 • 12018 Posts
Many of you would be surprised but Dead Space's engine is actually The Godfather's!!! I really liked the game but I am a picky person so here's what I didn't like about it: - same environment (the exact same problem as with FEAR and Bioshock) - monsters do get "old" by chapter 9; you start rushing through the missions not to deal with them - wish there was something other than monsters to kill - not enough adventure/exploration/puzzles in the game - not enough interaction with characters, not many cinematics - "dead" main character, aka absolutely no emotions or dialogues - girlfriend isn't presented well enough for the player to have any sort of emotional connection with her - limbs more important than head? are their brains stored there? - body stucture of monsters is too similar to humans Last mission was great! We get to be "outside" and there were lots of dialogues and cinematics; even got to see some emotion from the main character. I wish it'd be more like that throughout the whole game. More interaction, dialogues, cinematics, environment. Hope they will add all of that in the sequel!
xion1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xion1234
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts
i always wnted to play that game
GinoNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 GinoNYC
Member since 2008 • 470 Posts
Any fan of horror needs to BUY THIS IMMEDIATELY. It's a great game and deserves good sales. Too bad all these crappy music games and shooters have overshadowed one of the best horror games in years.
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts
Fun game, beat it a few days ago as well. Gameplay was fun and the ending really surprised me.
-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Ninja_Dog-
Member since 2005 • 4197 Posts
Yeah awesome game. Must play for sure.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I got annoyed by the "Ugh...why me?" objectives so I didn't finish it. Plus the Ripper is hilariously fun but too loud, so I can't play it in class.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

Many of you would be surprised but Dead Space's engine is actually The Godfather's!!! I really liked the game but I am a picky person so here's what I didn't like about it: - same environment (the exact same problem as with FEAR and Bioshock) - monsters do get "old" by chapter 9; you start rushing through the missions not to deal with them - wish there was something other than monsters to kill - not enough adventure/exploration/puzzles in the game - not enough interaction with characters, not many cinematics - "dead" main character, aka absolutely no emotions or dialogues - girlfriend isn't presented well enough for the player to have any sort of emotional connection with her - limbs more important than head? are their brains stored there? - body stucture of monsters is too similar to humans Last mission was great! We get to be "outside" and there were lots of dialogues and cinematics; even got to see some emotion from the main character. I wish it'd be more like that throughout the whole game. More interaction, dialogues, cinematics, environment. Hope they will add all of that in the sequel!Davidhye

Doesn't it use the Tiger Woods game engine?

Kiljoy66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kiljoy66
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

I got annoyed by the "Ugh...why me?" objectives so I didn't finish it. Plus the Ripper is hilariously fun but too loud, so I can't play it in class.siLVURcross
Funny thing about all the objectives, they are things only you really knew how to do as an engineer, noboy else had the suit or gear to do what you were doing. I was kinda disappointed by the ripper, no real way to gage how far ahead the blade was so I would miss with it alot unless they were right in front of me when I started up a blade, good thing I only really needed it for the trophy, now the Contact beam, THAT is a freaking weapon, pretty much 2 shotted the Leviathan on hard for me. :twisted:

Favorite weapon though moved from the plasma cutter to the force gun, holy crap that thing is awesome, nothing like stopping a brute in mid charge and then blowing off an arm with a contact beam shot.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

EZs

If your talking about the first Silent Hill on PS1, then I understand.

gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
The story was a disappointment IMO. I just started to not care near the end of the game. It was a RE4 ripoff, but it was still a great game. The first time you play it, you do get hooked, but I was just disappointed once I finished it.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="EZs"]

Vandalvideo
You don't have much to worry about from Dead Space. The horror in that game, if you can even call it that, is superficial to begin with that you reallllllllllly have to want to be scared.

Superficial horror? Does it need more phallus then? I think Dead Space is freaky. Are you another Silent Hill fan trying to pass its scare factor off? :P. Honestly though, too many SH fans try to pass off anything that's not symbolic or has meaning. I'm all for Silent Hill, but there's other great games out there that nail the experience. Dead Space did this so well. There's shock horror, yes, but it's syncopated. There's no rhythm to it unlike Doom 3 or FEAR. That's not to say there aren't any scripted moments, because there are. But for the fillers, the cues aren't quite what you would expect out of a game. Speaking of cues, another thing Silent Hill is so good at that most Silent Hill fans oddly never speak of, is sound. It's the whole element of what you can't see but can hear. There's a Japanese term to describe it but I can't remember it. Whether it was your apartment in Silent Hill 4: The Room in all its eerie quietness, the flutter of wings in the dense-heavy streets, or the infamous crackling of static on the radio, that game preyed on your instincts with sound. Dead Space does the exact same thing. Of course there are the creepy howls and shuffling of feet that are expected in any good horror title (and they are excellent in Dead Space), the noises the Ishimura makes itself, and the visual cues that foreshadow a certain event that maybe be coming up are done very, very well. Body Horror is also something Dead Space did to perfection. All good horror movies we all know and love: Alien, Jacob's Ladder, the Thing, use body horror to scare the crap out of you. It's just as effective in this game. I mean, what the hell is up with a baby sprouting freakin' tentacles and leeching onto you like a mother trucker? Honestly I'm never looking at my baby cousin the same way again. Babies will always and forever be evil. Then the game has its own unique trait: it never pauses. You have to do everything in real time. I don't know about you, but I was tripping when I was sifting through my inventory as some weird as thing continued to twist and contort itself closer to me. Damn, it should be the standard now. That experience is nail-biting.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="EZs"]

dream431ca

If your talking about the first Silent Hill on PS1, then I understand.

The rest were freaky in their own right. I guess Silent Hill was the only one that could truly be called "scary". The latter games were definitely more disturbing though. Especially the second. I have to say though, the scariest moment in all of Silent Hill was that one scare in Silent Hill 4: The Room. You know that feeling you get when your body just goes ice cold and all the blood seems to drain from your body? Damn did that one scare do that to me.
Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts
I thought it looked cool, but then I played the demo, seems very overrated IMO
mgsbethatgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mgsbethatgame
Member since 2007 • 1384 Posts

Hey all,

Just a few minutes ago, I completed Dead Space. Damn, that was an amazing game all around. Firstly, its powered by a deep and engaging story that places a value on the few characters in the story and help propell it through each of its exciting and different 12 chapters. Graphically, this game has top-notch detail, lighting, and technical effects. It also pulls of its dismemberment gameplay to perfection as the dismemberment is very believable and pleasing till the very end. Artistically, the aliens tend to scare A LOT. They are gruesome, grotesque and overall abominations.

The gameplay is tight as well, with an emphasis on an over-the-shoulder 3rd person view similar to an Uncharted or Resident Evil 4. The gameplay is very simple, with only a few weapons that you can upgrade as you progress. With each weapon, there are various uses for them and they each tend to correspond to a different type of creature. The boss fights always are exciting and the puzzles also test your logic and ability to solve tasks. The HUD in the game is all within your character, allowing you to stay in the game and keeping things scary.

Overall, this is a very scary game with a great atmosphere, tight gameplay, and a deep storyline that expands into animated movies as well. THIS IS A MUST-PLAY!

MonkaTG
i just beat it today to and i say the same thing. this game is under rated by the media it is a amazing game. it blew past the hype while mirrors edge just fell short
Avatar image for LightReflection
LightReflection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LightReflection
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
I got up to the part where you have to shoot the asteroids and haven't played it since. Stupid things like that shouldn't be in a survival horror game, it's too hard to get them all with the Dualshock controller.
mgsbethatgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mgsbethatgame
Member since 2007 • 1384 Posts
I thought it looked cool, but then I played the demo, seems very overrated IMOWaffle_Fish
opposite for me i thought it was bad and then i played the demo i went out and bought it just because of the demo and boy did my feelings for the game change alot. lol i may be going to far but i put it as one of the best games of 08
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
I have the game and it's so much fun too play. I only have a few more trophies to get the platinum.
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreenGoblin2099

I got up to the part where you have to shoot the asteroids and haven't played it since. Stupid things like that shouldn't be in a survival horror game, it's too hard to get them all with the Dualshock controller.LightReflection

And why is it so hard exactly?? I have both trophies for both ADS Cannon parts

MonkaTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonkaTG

The story was a disappointment IMO. I just started to not care near the end of the game. It was a RE4 ripoff, but it was still a great game. The first time you play it, you do get hooked, but I was just disappointed once I finished it.gbpman630

i mean just because it used that over-the-shoulder camera doesnt make it a rip-off... its just a camera angle... How was the story a disappointment? If you read the text logs and listened to the audio file things then the story really builds momentum

Avatar image for LightReflection
LightReflection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LightReflection
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
Want a cookie? The cannon moves too slow for the amount of asteroids you have to take out. I'll probably go back to it one day but that part really pissed me off.
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreenGoblin2099

Want a cookie? The cannon moves too slow for the amount of asteroids you have to take out. I'll probably go back to it one day but that part really pissed me off.LightReflection

Nope, I don't. I just wanted to make a point here: it's definitely doable and by a large margin.

MonkaTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonkaTG

[QUOTE="LightReflection"]Want a cookie? The cannon moves too slow for the amount of asteroids you have to take out. I'll probably go back to it one day but that part really pissed me off.GreenGoblin2099

Nope, I don't. I just wanted to make a point here: it's definitely doable and by a large margin.

yea i don't remember having any trouble with that....

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Salt_The_Fries
[QUOTE="Davidhye"] not many cinematics - "dead" main character, aka absolutely no emotions or dialogues!

Both "flaws" you posted are intentional design choices, and the ones I greatly appreciated. There should be more games that are cutscene-less and with speech-less impartial protagonists.
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
i was interested in it but the demo turned me off
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I thought it was an okay time... if you like generic repetitive Event Horizon meets Bioshock-esque shooters that have a really nifty UI. Seriously though, the anti-gravity section was awesome, the meteor storm lame, and the scripted things were... constant. I did enjoy myself during my playthrough, though.
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
Naa the game is ok,the controls are horrible i couldn't play Geow2 and RE5 demo after playing dead space,my hands got stock with the stupid dead space controls in every game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
my hands got stock with the stupid dead space controls in every game.McdonaIdsGuy
:lol: That's Dead Space's fault? :P
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
[QUOTE="McdonaIdsGuy"]my hands got stock with the stupid dead space controls in every game.Jandurin

Yes the game horrible controls caused me that,play dead space and then try gears of war or 2 n u'll see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="McdonaIdsGuy"]my hands got stock with the stupid dead space controls in every game.McdonaIdsGuy

Yes the game horrible controls caused me that.

Sounds like they're just different than the other games. If you hands were automatically reverting to them, maybe they were better. I actually can't remember what the controls for Dead Space were. :P I find when I go to play Halo 3, I keep trying to melee with the grenade throw button because of L4D.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
[QUOTE="akif22"]i was interested in it but the demo turned me off

This.
Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
That game was just amazing. The last level really is worth atleast a whole point on the rating system (read: extra 1 to the X/10) and it all tied in fairly well. The gameplay was a bit monotonous if you're going for the One Gun achievement/trophy. I'll be glad to play through it again and try out some other guns.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Yet another game gamespot are giving no GOTY attention to. Burnout and NHL ftw though. :?
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I'll get it for cheap, same with Fallout3. Too many mixed reactions about the game.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Salt_The_Fries
[QUOTE="killerfist"]I'll get it for cheap, same with Fallout3. Too many mixed reactions about the game.

Both my favourite multiplats of 09, if not games of 09...
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]I'll get it for cheap, same with Fallout3. Too many mixed reactions about the game.Salt_The_Fries
Both my favourite multiplats of 09, if not games of 09...

That's cool:P I hear Fallout is great, but the thing is, I'm kinda scared to buy the game @ full price. I did that with Oblivion, but I kinda had regrets afterwards. As for Dead Space...idk I hear great stuff about it, but also things that make me wonder if I should buy it.. And I'm not getting any games this year anyways, so I guess I could juist wait for a pricedrop.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19602 Posts

Firstly, its powered by a deep and engaging story that places a value on the few characters in the story and help propell it through each of its exciting and different 12 chapters.MonkaTG

I thought that the story was extremely dull. The plot twist was almost too obvious from the opening cutscene, and it simply wasn't as engaging as System Shock 2's or even Doom 3's (they all basically have the same story, only SS2's is more detailed).

Also, the story only really cropped up in three or four chapters - most of the game was driven by endless fetch-quests that made the game feel like a chore to complete.

The boss fights always are excitingMonkaTG

As far as I can remember, there were only two types of bosses that you fought during the game (with only minor variations between them), and you fought them so often that they felt far more tedious than exciting ("urgh - giant tentacles again?!").

Overall, this is a very scary game with a great atmosphere, tight gameplay, and a deep storyline that expands into animated movies as well. THIS IS A MUST-PLAY!MonkaTG

The game wasn't too scary - it relied far too heavily on 'things jumping out at you' scares, which lost their surprise after about an hour into the game (also, the music changed whenever enemies were nearby, so you always knew they were coming).

Still, I'll admit that the gameplay was enjoyable and the graphics were impressive.
It's definitely not a must-have game, imo, but if you're looking for a solid action game and don't mind tedious repetition, it's worth a rental.