Japan is going to be THE determining factor of the console wars

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I think people seem to overlook the japanese gaming market when considering the system wars... think about this.

Without the Nintendo DS' popularity in Japan, quite franquely it would still be a neck and neck race between the DS and PSP.  In reality, the numbers on the sales charts for the U.S. and Europe are very close between the DS and PSP, with the DS only having a slight edge over the PSP on a monthly basis. (I think the DS sold around 40k more in the month of January than the PSP) However, since the DS is so popular in Japan, Nintendo has a pretty strong lead over the PSP.... the DS has 15 million units sold in Japan alone, with only 6 million units of the PSP sold in Japan.

Point is, chances are history is bound to repeat.  In fact, it already is proving itself to repeat.  Wii has been around the #2 spot on the Japanese charts since its release... with the PS3 somewhat close behind and the 360.... well.... I don't think I need to tell you where the 360 stands on the japanese charts.  In fact, Japan unfortunately makes it very difficult for Microsoft to win the console war this time around.  Microsoft supporters can boast all they want about the 360 having sold 10 million in the first year, but that means nothing if the console has no competition.  Don't expect those numbers to increase now that both Nintendo and Sony are in the arena and ready to battle it out.  This console war is going to be much closer than anyone realizes, with the real battle lying in Japan.

So, what do you think?  How significant do you think Japan is in the scheme of things for gaming?

proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 proof11102
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts
Of course it is...lemmings are the only group of people who refuse to acknoledge this fact.
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts
Actually, I think the European PS3 launch will be a good indicator of the way things are going.
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
Thats why the 360 cant win logically.
Avatar image for Buff-McBlumpkin
Buff-McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Buff-McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 566 Posts

Japan is going to be THE determining factor of the console warsREVOLUTIONfreak

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
Japan is not the determining factor. Lack of Japanese games on a console would be a determing factor. Look at the dreamcast it had japanese support, but didn't have the support of NA and Europe.
rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts

I think people seem to overlook the japanese gaming market when considering the system wars... think about this.

Without the Nintendo DS' popularity in Japan, quite franquely it would still be a neck and neck race between the DS and PSP.  In reality, the numbers on the sales charts for the U.S. and Europe are very close between the DS and PSP, with the DS only having a slight edge over the PSP on a monthly basis. (I think the DS sold around 40k more in the month of January than the PSP) However, since the DS is so popular in Japan, Nintendo has a pretty strong lead over the PSP.... the DS has 15 million units sold in Japan alone, with only 6 million units of the PSP sold in Japan.

Point is, chances are history is bound to repeat.  In fact, it already is proving itself to repeat.  Wii has been around the #2 spot on the Japanese charts since its release... with the PS3 somewhat close behind and the 360.... well.... I don't think I need to tell you where the 360 stands on the japanese charts.  In fact, Japan unfortunately makes it very difficult for Microsoft to win the console war this time around.  Microsoft supporters can boast all they want about the 360 having sold 10 million in the first year, but that means nothing if the console has no competition.  Don't expect those numbers to increase now that both Nintendo and Sony are in the arena and ready to battle it out.  This console war is going to be much closer than anyone realizes, with the real battle lying in Japan.

So, what do you think?  How significant do you think Japan is in the scheme of things for gaming?

REVOLUTIONfreak
japan is actually irrelivant when it comes to consoles,  they have gone mobile. the 360 will win,  without japan.  i thought sony would take second,  but they seem determined to blow that.  north america is where console wars are won or lost,  and europe is the second most important.
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts
Japan is important because whoever gets Japan gets the support of Japanese developers and that matters not only in Japan but the rest of the world. Companies like Square Enix, Namco, and Konami will support the winner in their homeland and there games greatly effect the System Wars at worldwide scale.
HaibaneRenmei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HaibaneRenmei
Member since 2003 • 273 Posts

Japan is far less important in the global gaming market as it used to be. It 'was' the japanese developers that everyone used to look to when it came to pushing the limits of a system and pushing ideas of innovation. That is no longer the case. Western game developers have outshone the Eastern devs for quite a while now. Keiji Inafune has admitted to that recently...and is doing his part to try to change that for Capcom with new IP's (fresh ideas).

Japanese developers have become far to comfortable (lazy) to be considered a fundamental force in determining anything..let alone the outcome of the console wars.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
Japan is a factor- since without it the Xbox 360 cannot win- which is why Sony are quietly confident since no matter how badly they do- they know that Microsft cant succed in Japan.
diggyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 diggyzoom
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts
It is very important , there is no question about that ... but Japan doesn't have the largest console following either. Less than 30 million total last gen if my memory serves me correct ?

I am sure if things really take off for the Wii over there because of the Wii casual games then yes the Wii will be in a great position to win.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ultimas_Blade
Member since 2004 • 3671 Posts
Japan is important, but the NA market is where developers and the big three make the most money.  EU and JP are VERY SIGNIFICANT contributors, so don't get me wrong, but when it comes down to it the NA market holds the most aces as THE deciding factor.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

The xbox took the #2 position last gen w/o much japan consumer help.

This 360 took the #1 position this gen w/o much japanese consumer help..

i'm just not following the belief japan is as important as the japanese gaming execs would have us believe...

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ultimas_Blade
Member since 2004 • 3671 Posts

i'm just not following the belief japan is as important as the japanese gaming execs would have us believe...

tango90101

That's a very good point. I really didn't make that connection. But it was only a slim victory over Nintendo right? (like a couple million more I believe)
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

(...)Don't expect those numbers to increase now that both Nintendo and Sony are in the arena and ready to battle it out.  This console war is going to be much closer than anyone realizes, with the real battle lying in Japan.(...)REVOLUTIONfreak

actualy, PS2 sold more in Europe, than in NAmerica and last is Japan (cuz its the smallest market)

so the Euro PS3 launch is gonna give a big bost, 30+Launch title are no joke, and you are right, X360 is not going to sell as well this year cuz it got competition, and wii? well the wiimote is not going to be the new thing for ever, and nintendo cant relesase a wiisports every month... the hardware of the wii is getting obsolet much faster than a normal console, so it will get lucky if ti last 3 years not the normal 5/6 of the consoles.

that means:

1. PlayStation 3
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Wii

"The firm believes that the PS3 will ultimately carry the largest market share, with 75 million PS3s sold worldwide by 2010." - GAMESPOT

"The company predicts that more than 120 million PS3s will be sold through 2012, compared to 60 million Xbox 360s and 23 million Nintendo Wiis. North America will account for more than 50 percent of all console sales over this period." - ITWIRE

"Dublin-based Research and Markets claims that the latest version of Sony's games console will rack up 71 million sales, with the Xbox 360 selling around 40 million and the Wii coming third with around 31 million." - ITNEWS

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

tango90101

:roll:

The Xbox 360 took the "#1" position because it had a twelve-month head start. The Xbox 360 is going to be quickly passed by the Wii, first world wide and then in North America.

Xbox fanboys are the only ones who truly believe that "Japan doesn't matter"... even though the PS2 sold more units in Japan than the Xbox sold worldwide. :lol:
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts

tango90101

First: that was a weak #2 position. It barely trumped GC sales. Second: the 360 took #1 this gen?? How about in fall 2006, were you celebrating the fact that MS "won" this generation before the other consoles released?
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
[QUOTE="tango90101"]

Ultimas_Blade

That's a very good point. I really didn't make that connection. But it was only a slim victory over Nintendo right? (like a couple million more I believe)

yes, correct, and that few million was because of the HALO effect.
GeneralZ0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeneralZ0d
Member since 2006 • 671 Posts

tango90101

Yes they took the #2 position and got very close to the PS2 right?? Hmmmm the XBox and Gamecube were both disasters when compared to the PS2. Coming in at #2 really wasnt that much of an achievement.
InfamousC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 InfamousC
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts

My thoughts are here.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25403142

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Not that Japan doesn't matter but I think the EU is going to be the make or break for Sony. Last gen Sony were all conquering there, but due to the price, the delay and constant screwing over the Europeans I think it might be alot closer this time around. Wii looks to be dominant in Japan, the 360 in the US is still outselling the PS3, but Europe has tradionally been "sonyland". The Eu, especailly after taking in alot of new countries, is a vast market and if Sony struggles to make big waves there the PS3 will be in huge trouble.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

Japan is going to be THE determining factor of the console warsBuff-McBlumpkin

LMAO!!
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 REVOLUTIONfreak
Japan is important because whoever gets Japan gets the support of Japanese developers and that matters not only in Japan but the rest of the world. Companies like Square Enix, Namco, and Konami will support the winner in their homeland and there games greatly effect the System Wars at worldwide scale.
Master_Hermes
Actually you are exactly right. That has already been proved, especially with Square-Enix's sudden support of Nintendo.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
You can't win the console wars unless you win Japan.
AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AB_Uppercut
Member since 2007 • 1287 Posts

Try telling that to the 360 guys, they hate any country in which 360 doesn't sell well

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

REVOLUTIONfreak

Your points are extremely valid and I tend to agree wholeheartedly with everything you said there.  I mean people are definitely overlooking the fact that 360 had no competition for the first year in Japan and failed to put up any type of fight in Japan.  I mean there are tons of people over there and they are buying video game systems just look at the NDS like you said

redneckdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 redneckdouglas
Member since 2005 • 2977 Posts
It only matters if you actually like their games. Myself however, only want 2 games from Japan. Resident Evil 5 and Soul Calibur 4.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Japan historically was important because of the Japanese developers, now that they have been passed by in quality by the European devs (imo) their importance is not what it used to be. Look at the backlash against Japanese devs here on this forum lately. I may be incorrect about this but didn't FF12 and Oblivion release in the same year and while FF12 was a commercial success, Oblivion was the game that garnered all the awards the critics handed out in 2006. As the gamers that were weaned on NES and S-NES continue to age their tastes have turned away from Mechs, anime and turn based RPG's and they are less patient with the bizzare convoluted plotlines and foriegn storytelling techniques that they accepted or even embraced when they were younger. Is Japan still important? Yes. Is Japan as important as it was 15 years ago? No. So to base the outcome of the console war on the importance of Japan is last gen thinking.
GrlGmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 GrlGmr
Member since 2003 • 4179 Posts
Japan is AN important market, but it is not AS important as it has been in the past. In the past Japan was seen as the primary market, and everything else was secondary. That has changed, to an extent. A console cannot succeed in the West without support of Western developers, just like it cannot succeed in Japan without Japanese developers.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

REVOLUTIONfreak

I'll agree with you under one condition--that you tell me what franquely means.

beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts
japan is important for some of the delevopers but the support outside japan is great, the system is great according to delevopers and everything is great. if they make more games that appeal to japan and the harder microsoft try like they are doing with blue dragon and lost odesey the happier us gamer will be with the japanese game. in the end for 360 to be a success it needs to sell good worldwide as it doing now.. then hopefully japanese will jump wagons once they know what their missing.
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

Sorry,

Japanese buy Japanese Onry!

CarlosPontinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarlosPontinas
Member since 2007 • 923 Posts

This is already over.  Xbox360 is the winner. The Japanese market no longer matters.

Data77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Data77
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts

I'm sorry but Japan has gone mobile and consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360 matter little there, thus making them not important to the world wide console war.  Look at the numbers sold there.  Japan sells 200K+ DS lites (which have been available for over a year) and only 20k PS3's in the same time frame.  Also, note that one of Japans biggest franchises, Dragon Quest, went to the DS.  This should tell you something.

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
Japan trends say HD gaming isn't important.  I'm doubting NA is going to agree.
Ice_Hawk_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ice_Hawk_13
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts

This is already over.  Xbox360 is the winner. The Japanese market no longer matters.

CarlosPontinas
How can the 360 be the winner already? Its just not yet, maybe but wait a year for the Wii and PS3 to catch up in sales. Well, mostly Wii, the only reason id get a PS3 is for Ratchet and CLank 5/6/7 if they all do happen at some point in time.
kiruyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 kiruyama
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts
NA has grown to rival Japan's importance. However, without Japan, you just can't win. It's like having two-thirds of a cake. Sure, you'll be able to eat some nice cake, but you won't be able to eat a whole cake. The only ones who would agree otherwise are lemmings.
sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts

The markets which are overlooked are Europe and Australia not Japan. 

Imagine if I posted a topic which said 'Europe is going to be THE determining factor of the console wars" what would people say.

Sure Japan is important but since Gamespot is based in North America I think the winner of any console wars is going to be the one which is strongest in North America and that's a console which isn't doing as well as it should in Japan at the moment. 

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#39 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

If you've got Japanese support, you get quirky rhythm games and JRPGs.

If you don't, you still get everything else.

That's pretty much all it amounts to, sales-wise Japan isn't really that big of a factor despite it being the third largest gaming market.

It is convenient to have rhythm games and JRPGs though.

yuna707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 yuna707
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
NA has grown to rival Japan's importance. However, without Japan, you just can't win. It's like having two-thirds of a cake. Sure, you'll be able to eat some nice cake, but you won't be able to eat a whole cake. The only ones who would agree otherwise are lemmings.kiruyama
Ok.... 40% NA 35%+ Europe 20% Japan -5% other terriitories... You were saying.?
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 REVOLUTIONfreak

I'm sorry but Japan has gone mobile and consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360 matter little there, thus making them not important to the world wide console war.  Look at the numbers sold there.  Japan sells 200K+ DS lites (which have been available for over a year) and only 20k PS3's in the same time frame.  Also, note that one of Japans biggest franchises, Dragon Quest, went to the DS.  This should tell you something.

Data77
And yet the majority of people in Japan surprisingly still want DQ on a console
CelineDion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CelineDion
Member since 2002 • 5972 Posts

I like how System Wars treats Europe as though it's a single country.

:?

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sumo1973

Not that Japan doesn't matter but I think the EU is going to be the make or break for Sony. Last gen Sony were all conquering there, but due to the price, the delay and constant screwing over the Europeans I think it might be alot closer this time around. Wii looks to be dominant in Japan, the 360 in the US is still outselling the PS3, but Europe has tradionally been "sonyland". The EU, especailly after taking in alot of new countries, is a vast market and if Sony struggles to make big waves there the PS3 will be in huge trouble.blue_hazy_basic

Sony will struggle in Europe in 2007. The PS3 will be coming out next month with poor competitive prices compared to Japan and America. A limited release to begin with and also with no e-motion chip built in, we will get software emulation for PS2/PS games. I can see Sony fans buying imported PS3's from either America or Japan because the console will be seen as better quality.

To be a true winner in any console wars race you need to win all three races.

Avatar image for Shadow_Elite192
Shadow_Elite192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shadow_Elite192
Member since 2007 • 796 Posts
Microsoft will dominate japan like it did last gen.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 REVOLUTIONfreak

I like how System Wars treats Europe as though it's a single country.

:?

CelineDion

You could say the same thing for NA, NA includes the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sumo1973

Microsoft will dominate japan like it did last gen.Shadow_Elite192

How?

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mastarifla
Member since 2005 • 2448 Posts
[QUOTE="kiruyama"]NA has grown to rival Japan's importance. However, without Japan, you just can't win. It's like having two-thirds of a cake. Sure, you'll be able to eat some nice cake, but you won't be able to eat a whole cake. The only ones who would agree otherwise are lemmings.yuna707
Ok.... 40% NA 35%+ Europe 20% Japan -5% other terriitories... You were saying.?

I surely hope that Australia is not the -5%.....
Data77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Data77
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts
[QUOTE="Data77"]

REVOLUTIONfreak
And yet the majority of people in Japan surprisingly still want DQ on a console

I take it you live in Japan to know this?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

NA has grown to rival Japan's importance. However, without Japan, you just can't win. It's like having two-thirds of a cake. Sure, you'll be able to eat some nice cake, but you won't be able to eat a whole cake. The only ones who would agree otherwise are lemmings.kiruyama

No sir....NA FAR eclipses Japan in terms of video game sales.  Japan's market is almost exactly half that of the US...and that's not including Canada.

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts
Yeah, the US dominates videogame sales, which should be evident in the fact that Sony took some of the original Japanese shipments of the PS3 and diverted them to the US.