It's sad that Capcom decided to abandon another great game genre

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Guyper
Member since 2004 • 3879 Posts

First, it was beat 'em up games which they had made tons of them....

and now, survival horror games. If you think RE5 is still one, then don't ever consider yourself a gamer again

Capcom used to be a damned creative team in the 90's, but now, they just want money. Their only goal now is to make games which they believe can attract new audiences instead of sticking to what they were best at

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
i didnt like final fight....streets of rage on the other hand.....now that game kicked arse Resident evil code veronica is STILL my favorite resident evil game. It was just perfect. seems like Capcom wants the franchise to turn into a gears of war clone.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
Cant forget the megaman X series of games :( (But maybe it might of been for the best)
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
completely agree to me the resident evil franchise was dead when RE4 came out. great game but not what a resident evil should be
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
There one of the best developers around right now, just because you're stuck in the 90s doesn't mean the rest of the world has to be or wants to be.
Theverydeepend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Theverydeepend
Member since 2008 • 520 Posts
I have to admit the demo Resident Evil 5 did not scare me at all. That is why I want to play Resident Evil series for the suspense and horror. I want to be scared. I want to lock my windows, close my curtains, grab my bible and pray for my life before I play a game.
Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts
Cant forget the megaman X series of games :( (But maybe it might of been for the best)Gh0st_Of_0nyx
I hope capcom continues the series.
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
Arent the Clockwork games Capcom? Even though there hasn't been one since last gen doesn't mean we won't ever see another one.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Not to say I dont like the old RE better, but we got Dead Rising still
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
Not to say I dont like the old RE better, but we got Dead Rising stillArisShadows
Dead Rising was kinda like and arcade zombie killing game not really scary though. good game though i hope they make a sequal
Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

http://news.gotgame.com/capcom-promises-more-titles-for-psn-in-2009/22175/

At least there's a good chance of Capcom bringing some old titles to the psn.

Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Guyper

Arent the Clockwork games Capcom? Even though there hasn't been one since last gen doesn't mean we won't ever see another one.gamer620
The first two Clock Tower games were made by Human Entertainment. They sold it to Capcom after having been disbanded, so Capcom handed it to Sunsoft to make the 3rd one. I'm sure we'll still see survival horror games in the future but a resident evil game that would go back to its original roots, I highly doubt it

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not to say I dont like the old RE better, but we got Dead Rising stillArisShadows

And I would personally take Dead Rising over any of the Resident Evils.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Cant forget the megaman X series of games :( (But maybe it might of been for the best)Gh0st_Of_0nyx

I kinda agree, the sad thing though people will buy a lot of games cause of the title it represents, you know people are gonna buy RE5 and Street Fighter IV just cause of the brand name in a way.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts
Capcom just released Resident Evil Remake on the Wii.. just saying
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
What about the puzzle genre. They had a good thing going there.
r_gam3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 r_gam3
Member since 2008 • 1185 Posts
the old residents evils were bloody creepy and scary....the new ones, especially the fifth are like a day out in california.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
I Agree but oh well, i still love RE and i must know whats going to happen so im going to play it...but id wish it was just like the old times where the action was 10% and the suspense and horror were like 100%
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Capcom used to be a damned creative team in the 90's, but now, they just want money.

Guyper
Neither Final Fight nor RE was really creative, so I don't know what you're complaing about
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts
[QUOTE="Guyper"]Capcom used to be a damned creative team in the 90's, but now, they just want money.

AdrianWerner
Neither Final Fight nor RE was really creative, so I don't know what you're complaing about

final fight was a refined version of golden axe or double dragon or river city ransom and RE was heavily influenced by alone in the dark
bethwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bethwo
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts
They probably abandoned beat em' ups because Final Fight's rival, Streets of Rage is soooo much better. And I like the new Resident Evil games better, so im quite happy.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

i didnt like final fight....streets of rage on the other hand.....now that game kicked arse Resident evil code veronica is STILL my favorite resident evil game. It was just perfect. seems like Capcom wants the franchise to turn into a gears of war clone. ReaperV7

YEah you have a point about Resident Evil the survival horror is lacking.

I recently completed the remake of Resident Evil on the Game Cube, oh boy that was an excellent experience. Survival Horror as a genre dose seem to be fading away, due to the mass market of idiot children who now play games and expect to always win and never struggle!

Oh i loved games like Finial Fight and Street of Rage, if you look around on the internet you can still find Emulators of all the old arcade games and boy there are thousands of side scrolling beat um ups out there.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Resi seems to have moved with the times and gone the way movies have were horror is concerned, you get a more survival action feel with gore.

Saying that Resi was never that intense anyway, it used to many cheap jump tactics and I always prefered Silent Hill.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
To be fair, when RE4 came out it changes things, but at the time that's what people needed. The forumula was getting a little old.
And who knows they may make a real RE again in a while, when we all miss the old ones enough. (I don't mean Remakes, but new ones.)
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]Cant forget the megaman X series of games :( (But maybe it might of been for the best)dark-warmachine

What are you guys talking about? The X series has ended and was succeeded by the Zero series and later the ZX series.

X used his body to seal the Dark Elf sometime during the Mega Man X series and in Mega Man Zero 2 Elpizo destroyed his body so he could free the Dark Elf. Thus X died.

Zero fought Dr. Weil in the most epic battle the entire series has known where he too died as the Ragnarok plummeted to Earth.

The series is already well beyond the X series and X and Zero are both dead. So don't expect another game with X and Zero unless they make a game or series based in the Elf Wars.

Avatar image for liquidsnake1987
liquidsnake1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 liquidsnake1987
Member since 2004 • 4750 Posts
resident 5 looks awesome, but i do miss the old games, i loved the never ending puzzles. but times are changing, videogame publishers have to appeal to all audiences in order to cover expenses, so a lot of changes are going to be made to old classics.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Breath of fire haven't seen a good BOF in a long time since the 3rd one to be precise.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#28 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Didnt anyone also think it was weird that the only console Megaman game of 2008 they released was Megaman 8 which was great but...
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gh0st_Of_0nyx

[QUOTE="dark-warmachine"][QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]Cant forget the megaman X series of games :( (But maybe it might of been for the best)Blackbond

What are you guys talking about? The X series has ended and was succeeded by the Zero series and later the ZX series.

X used his body to seal the Dark Elf sometime during the Mega Man X series and in Mega Man Zero 2 Elpizo destroyed his body so he could free the Dark Elf. Thus X died.

Zero fought Dr. Weil in the most epic battle the entire series has known where he too died as the Ragnarok plummeted to Earth.

The series is already well beyond the X series and X and Zero are both dead. So don't expect another game with X and Zero unless they make a game or series based in the Elf Wars.

You see bond I stopped paying attention to the X series's story after they jumped jumped to the ps2. The "New" 3d ones were terrible and I never bothered with the series again. Maybe Capcom could repackage all the 2d X games and give them a HD facelift and sell them as an anniversary collection that would be a definite buy for me.
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
All is forgiven if Street Fighter IV delivers.
Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Guyper
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="dark-warmachine"]I hope capcom continues the series.Gh0st_Of_0nyx

You see bond I stopped paying attention to the X series's story after they jumped jumped to the ps2. The "New" 3d ones were terrible and I never bothered with the series again.

Same here, I tried really hard to immerse myself into the 3d ones but it just doesn't seem to be the same Megaman X which we once played and loved for the 1st time

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts
i agree. capcom has only tried to introduce casuals into their franchises. RE5 lacks any survival horrror element to it compared to the classic RE's. As much as people like the game, i bet hardcore fans will think otherwise. Same for Devil May Cry 4. People were blown away by the final nostalgic trailer of Devil May Cry 4, with all the emphasis of Vergil and yamato sword, but at the end it was just a luvy duvy story with good gameplay. Nero wasnt even essential in this game. Capcom followed all of the fans decisions for Devil May Cry 3, making it one of the best action games, i just hope they sort their head out and make the next few games for the fans.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Guyper

You see bond I stopped paying attention to the X series's story after they jumped jumped to the ps2. The "New" 3d ones were terrible and I never bothered with the series again.

Same here, I tried really hard to immense myself into the 3d ones but it just doesn't seem to be the same Megaman X which we once played and loved for the 1st time

In all honesty I never played X7 or X8 either and both of their stories are pretty much irrelevant to the future events of the timeline anyways as Inafune was already at work on the Zero series.

-Mad_Rhetoric-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Mad_Rhetoric-
Member since 2008 • 1765 Posts

Im one of those rare hardcore RE fans that acually isn't disappointed in the new direction of the RE series. The games needed a changed, and RE4 delivered and saved the series. Yes I wish their was more horror but Im happy with it.

and don't forget RE:UC

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
[QUOTE="Guyper"][QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"] You see bond I stopped paying attention to the X series's story after they jumped jumped to the ps2. The "New" 3d ones were terrible and I never bothered with the series again.Blackbond

Same here, I tried really hard to immense myself into the 3d ones but it just doesn't seem to be the same Megaman X which we once played and loved for the 1st time

In all honesty I never played X7 or X8 either and both of their stories are pretty much irrelevant to the future events of the timeline anyways as Inafune was already at work on the Zero series.

Its good that you didn't the introduction of the "rad"and "awesome" character axl pretty much killed the games from the start.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="Guyper"]

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Its good that you didn't the introduction of the "rad"and "awesome" character axl pretty much killed the games from the start.

I've heard. But Mega Man ZXAdvent had a had a Biometal A and I thought playing as Mega Man Model A was pretty sweet.

1. Gemini Laser
  2. Target Lock
  3. Charge Shot
  4. Giga Crush
  5. A-Trans (The ability to turn into any boss you defeat which includes other biometal users like the ones in my sig)
Though he has no relation to Axl like Biometal X and Z are made from X and Zero. Its obvious that Biometal A was Capcom's omage to Axl. And this is the closest I've ever been to playing with Axl lol

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
Capcom used to be a damned creative team in the 90's, but now, they just want money. Their only goal now is to make games which they believe can attract new audiences instead of sticking to what they were best at

Guyper
So are you suggesting Capcom is no longer a "damned creative team" because they aren't producing more of the same things they've been doing since the 90's? I guess Capcom just wasn't creative enough to come up with Megaman 932, or leave the Resident Evil formula eternally unchanged. Instead they went on to make new things like Viewtiful Joe and change-up the RE formula - clearly showing they are unable to create anything new.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
i don't like resident evil's control scheme. quite honestly, it's worse than the first 3 metal gear solids.
Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Guyper

Im one of those rare hardcore RE fans that acually isn't disappointed in the new direction of the RE series. The games needed a changed, and RE4 delivered and saved the series. Yes I wish their was more horror but Im happy with it.

and don't forget RE:UC

-Mad_Rhetoric-

I'd have rather see the franchise's main story end with Code Veronica than seeing them butchered it. Let's face it, RE4 played and felt so different compared to the previous REs that Capcom could have simply created a whole new game franchise for it and every gamers on both side would have been happy then. Like they did with Dead Rising, it's another zombie game from Capcom but yet, it's totally a different game franchise.

Even though, I hate the new direction, I have no choice but to buy RE5 because I wanna find out how badly will Capcom butcher Chris this time.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="Guyper"]

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

I thought X7 was pretty bad and X8 was ok, though Axl is annoying.
g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Not to be rude, why the talk of megaman? Do people like it that much?

Resident evil is still going strong, due to the sucess of re4 which i didnt think it was scary at all, silent hill takes that title and i think dead space does too.

Am suprised no ones mentioned the 'onmiusha' series.

It has the 'best actors in a game' i think. The cg, the music, the bosses, the gameplay, everything is good. Any devil may cry fan would love this series.

Its capcoms fourth best franchise last i heard. I think they should bring it to next gen now. This topic is all about this game.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Resident Evil 4 and was absolutely amazing and I think Resident Evil 5 will also be brilliant but I agree that when Resident Evil 4 was made the game stopped being a survival horror game.
DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DennisHopperz
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
I miss Megaman X. X8 left off with a cliffhanger. It should've stopped after X5 imo
DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DennisHopperz
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
Megaman X Command Mission 2 please That was a very good jrpg, I still play it on my Wii with the backwards compatibility from the time to time.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

The world doesn't care unless they abandoned shooters

Its bogus to single out Capcom. The whole genre is dying like platformers. The only beat em ups I can think of are Dynasty Warriors and Dead Rising, a Capcom game.

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
recent resident evil games might not be like the previous ones, but they're still great games i really enjoyed RE4 despite the increased focus on action, and hope RE5 will be just as fun
craftieman05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 craftieman05
Member since 2008 • 349 Posts

Well if it makes you feel any better, the controls in RE4 are the same as the other older RE games. All they did was change the camera angle and turned it into more of a shooter. I assume that the controls are the same for RE5, i mean it looks the same.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
It just sucks that almost every horror title made after RE4 has followed suite and just follows the same action/horror formula rather than trying to truly advance the genre. I loved RE4 and will probably love RE5, but the fact that every current gen horror title has followed the exact same formula Capcom set up with that title leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
[QUOTE="ReaperV7"]i didnt like final fight....streets of rage on the other hand.....now that game kicked arse Resident evil code veronica is STILL my favorite resident evil game. It was just perfect. seems like Capcom wants the franchise to turn into a gears of war clone.

Resident evil been doing this since '05. gears was released in '06. GEARS IS A CLONE...