Isn't the Epic "Gears of War" deal with Microsoft 2 games?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xalaten
Member since 2006 • 965 Posts

I've been reading around a lot lately that Microsoft only has a two game deal with Epic games and that Gears of War 3 will more than likely be multiplatform.

I want some actual facts, not speculation.  I'm hearing that Microsoft owns the Gears of War IP and then I'm hearing people insist that Epic owns the Gears of War IP.  If Epic owns it and someon can confirm it's only a two game deal with Microsoft, wouldn't it make sense financially for Gears of War 3 to be multipltaform?

Lets keep in mind PS3 has actually sold consoles this year and that's hundreds of thousands of untapped gamers they could be making money on.  It was Microsoft exclusive because of the two game deal but if that deal is now over and Microsoft doesn't offer Epic enough millions to renew the exclusivity deal, could be looking at Gears 3 multiplatform in 2010?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

Epic owns the GeoW IP.

Link

Scroll down to the last post by the Epic Mod.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
[QUOTE="Nagidar"]

Epic owns the GeoW IP.

Link

True, but I believe MGS holds publishing rights I also thought GeOW was a trilogy??? could be wrong
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
[QUOTE="Nagidar"]

Epic owns the GeoW IP.

Link

POJO_MOFO

True, but I believe MGS holds publishing rights I also thought GeOW was a trilogy??? could be wrong

Epic owns the Gears of War IP. Microsoft owns the publishing rights for the first two games. 

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="POJO_MOFO"][QUOTE="Nagidar"]

Epic owns the GeoW IP.

Link

Locke562

Epic owns the Gears of War IP. Microsoft owns the publishing rights for the first two games. 

I would think, with the name and fanbase, along with MS's advertisement and development help, Epic would be open to extend the contract for the right price.

Its not like the game is suffereing poor sales on only one console. 

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xalaten
[QUOTE="POJO_MOFO"][QUOTE="Nagidar"]

Epic owns the GeoW IP.

Link

Locke562

We have a link to the first point, but do you have a link for the second?  Again, I'm hearing 2 but I'm also hearing some say it's 3.

I guess the question is if it's only 2, will Microsoft offer enough  money to renew the deal or will Epic think they could make much more than the offer if they went multiplat.

I'm not trolling btw, I own a PS3, 360 and a gaming comp.  I'd end up buying Gears 3 for whichever looked and played the best.  I simply think third party developer exclusives hurt gaming, not help it, and I'd love to see this IP go multiplat.  

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Gears of War's IP belongs to Epic, MS has a contract for publishing two games.

Does that mean that it is likely that Gears 3 goes multiplatform?

I'd say no. 

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I'd say no.

IronBass

pretty much sums up my thoughts.

MS will probably publish the third Gears too

KinderChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KinderChimp
Member since 2008 • 238 Posts
I really doubt it that MS will let GeOW 3 go multiplat. Its too much of a big exclusive and IMO is like the original xbox's halo. It's what basically kick-started this gen.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Given the massive success of the Gears IP and the fact that MS helped make it a success due to it's massive marketing power and the fact that MS hired that dude from EA chicago that made Fight Night and ICON to be a VP for the Gears franchise, I'd say the chance of Gears slipping into multiplat status is slim to none.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="IronBass"]

I'd say no.

killerfist

pretty much sums up my thoughts.

MS will probably publish the third Gears too

Yup, there are a few reasons to believe that:

- The Gears of War franchise is built around the 260 (yes, Gears 1 was also on PC, but almost everybody associates Gears = 360)

- MS will move earth and sky to publish the third one.

- Epic and MS have, so far as I know, a very good relationship.

- The Gears of War franchise has done awesomely (is it a word?) on the 360.

I think Gears 3 coming to the PS3 (if released this gen) is as unlikely as MGS4 coming to the 360. 

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

Yeah, I read a long time ago that Epic had a 2 game contract with MS. So Gears 3 would be up for grabs.

My guess is though MS would buy it up. They woudl be total noobs if they didn't.

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts

I love how the TC says he would buy Gears 3 no matter what, then his sig says Gears is one of the most overrated games ever.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Gears was said to be a trilogy at one point. Plus seeing as how the 2nd one ended, it would be just stupid to start with Gears 3 on PS3. People would have no clue what's going on.

Let alone that Cliff has never expressed any interest in PS3 at all. I don't see it ever happening.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63f6895020e66

People would have no clue what's going on.

Mau-Justice

That won't stop RE5 coming to the 360. 

-Mad_Rhetoric-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Mad_Rhetoric-
Member since 2008 • 1765 Posts
are cows really this desperate for GeoW to go as far as to examine loopholes in contracts?
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

This is normal, when something new is started, the first few iterations the creators accept a little less, when it becomes succesful, they normally ask for a raise

This is what theyll do with the third game

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Yeah, well we all know who's gonna buy the publishing rights for the 3rd game.
PS_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PS_John
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts

are cows really this desperate for GeoW to go as far as to examine loopholes in contracts?-Mad_Rhetoric-

No, I don't know any PS3 owners who want Gears of War on the PS3.. We can already play the first on the PC and no doubt Gears 2 will also be on the PC next year!

Maybe if it was on the PS3 though, there wouldn't be so much lag online and matchmaking problems

El-Visitante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 El-Visitante
Member since 2007 • 1137 Posts
No Gears will ever be on PS3 and I'm sure that most of the people at Epic stated pretty adamantly that Gears 2 will never be on pc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="-Mad_Rhetoric-"]are cows really this desperate for GeoW to go as far as to examine loopholes in contracts?PS_John

No, I don't know any PS3 owners who want Gears of War on the PS3.. We can already play the first on the PC and no doubt Gears 2 will also be on the PC next year!

Maybe if it was on the PS3 though, there wouldn't be so much lag online and matchmaking problems

Sure PS_John, whatever you say...

Yeah, because every PC can handle Gears 1... And Gears 2 has been confirmed not coming to PC... Never.

Sure PS_John, whatever you say...

It is good having you back! We missed you! :) 

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Locke562

[QUOTE="-Mad_Rhetoric-"]are cows really this desperate for GeoW to go as far as to examine loopholes in contracts?PS_John

PS_John. I see him!

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xalaten

I love how the TC says he would buy Gears 3 no matter what, then his sig says Gears is one of the most overrated games ever.

SpideR_CentS

It is.  So is Halo.  That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.  Many gamers think Gears and Halo are the best shooters EVER.  I don't.  THAT'S what I'm talking about. 

Try not to read too much into it.  A game can be a good game yet be overrated and overhyped.  Quite frankly I thought MGS4 wqas overrated and overhyped as well but I made that sig long before MGS4 came out.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Locke562
[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]

Xalaten

It is.  So is Halo.  That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.  Many gamers think Gears and Halo are the best shooters EVER.  I don't.  THAT'S what I'm talking about. 

Try not to read too much into it.  A game can be a good game yet be overrated and overhyped.  Quite frankly I thought MGS4 wqas overrated and overhyped as well but I made that sig long before MGS4 came out.

Your logic has no place in System Wars! 

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
I think it woulden't be overly beneficial for MS to want to publish the third one as well, it sells amazingly on the 360, and even if the third one was to go multiplatform, MS might spend less money, but there would still be a huge amount of sales for the 360 version, placing it on the PS3 as well might get Epic some extra cash while MS woulden't really lose out on anything. Thats how I see it from a financial stand point, otherwise, I don't care for Gears of War, I got the first one on PC and it bores me, so whatever floats their boat.
Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xalaten

are cows really this desperate for GeoW to go as far as to examine loopholes in contracts?-Mad_Rhetoric-

Almost every third party developer has stated, quite bluntly, that third party exclusives this gen are a thing of the past.  

Production costs for games now is astronomical and these developers want to make as much money as possible.  There are almost no third party exclusives anymore...period.  Timed doesn't count.  I'm talking EXLCUSIVE.

Now Gears was exclusive and signed a multi game deal with Microsoft.  However, that contact is up as of the second Gears.  The question is will Microsoft pay enough to keep it exclusive?  Do you REALLY think Epic (screw Cliffy B, he's just a dev, not a president, CEO or anything like that of Epic) would throw away millions of multiplat dollars if Microsoft doesn't put up money again?

One thing ALL fanbois from ALL platforms need to understand.  CEOs and boards aren't fanbois.  They care about one thing, getting as much money as possible.  Period.  No debate.

If Microsoft doesn't cough up more money, I'd bet a month's salary it goes multiplat.  Epic is a third party publisher.  They have no loyalty to anyone but their bottom line.  Their bottom line was propped up by the millions Microsoft gave them for the first two Gears.  THAT is why it was an exlcusive, not because of some love of Microsoft.

So in my opinion it all depends on the paycheck Microsoft waves in their faces for continued exclusivity.  If Epic's finaciers think they can get a significant amount more by going multiplatform, they will in a heartbeat.  Epic has all the cards, not Microsoft.  

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 heretrix

[QUOTE="-Mad_Rhetoric-"]are cows really this desperate for GeoW to go as far as to examine loopholes in contracts?Xalaten

Almost every third party developer has stated, quite bluntly, that third party exclusives this gen are a thing of the past.  

Production costs for games now is astronomical and these developers want to make as much money as possible.  There are almost no third party exclusives anymore...period.  Timed doesn't count.  I'm talking EXLCUSIVE.

Now Gears was exclusive and signed a multi game deal with Microsoft.  However, that contact is up as of the second Gears.  The question is will Microsoft pay enough to keep it exclusive?  Do you REALLY think Epic (screw Cliffy B, he's just a dev, not a president, CEO or anything like that of Epic) would throw away millions of multiplat dollars if Microsoft doesn't put up money again?

One thing ALL fanbois from ALL platforms need to understand.  CEOs and boards aren't fanbois.  They care about one thing, getting as much money as possible.  Period.  No debate.

If Microsoft doesn't cough up more money, I'd bet a month's salary it goes multiplat.  Epic is a third party publisher.  They have no loyalty to anyone but their bottom line.  Their bottom line was propped up by the millions Microsoft gave them for the first two Gears.  THAT is why it was an exlcusive, not because of some love of Microsoft.

So in my opinion it all depends on the paycheck Microsoft waves in their faces for continued exclusivity.  If Epic's finaciers think they can get a significant amount more by going multiplatform, they will in a heartbeat.  Epic has all the cards, not Microsoft.  

There's one huge issue that you are overlooking: MS put up a lot of cash to make Gears the success that it is today. It was MS that put up huge sums of cash to market the game and we all know how well that worked out. While commercial businesses aren't "fanbois" as you put it, they should at least have the common sense not to screw up a business partnership that has served them well.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

all that means is that when Epic starts considering publishers for Gears of War 3 is that Epic will be seeing alot of green coming from Microsoft.....Epic will make sure they get a big payday from Microsoft for Gears of War 3.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xalaten

Oh c'mon.  You make it sound like Microsoft did all this because they are benevolent.  They did it for MONEY.

Again, it's the bottom line.  If Microsoft coughs up a bunch more money, Gears will stay multiplat.  If Epic's board (if they have a board, whoever makes the financial decisions) doesn't think it's enough or they think they can make significantly more going multplat, they will.

Epic doesn't need Microsoft.  The Gears name has transcended Microsoft.  Every gamer knows what Gears of War is and most enjoy it on some level.  

On top of that there is one thing you need to remember.  Gears will no longer be a "system seller" when Gears 3 comes out.  By that time almost everyone will already have one of the consoles.  So Microsoft may not WANT to pay out much to keep it exclusive since they know it has alreayd pushed console sales with the first two.

Console sellers tend to come out the first three years or so of a console's lifespan.  By then almost everyone who is ineterested in gaming will have one.  

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 heretrix

Oh c'mon.  You make it sound like Microsoft did all this because they are benevolent.  They did it for MONEY.

Xalaten

I hate to break this to you but all businesses are in it for the money. What's next? Are you going to tell me that we need oxygen to breathe? God, I hope not. I don't know how people are going to take that.

Epic doesn't need Microsoft, but why would you want to screw one of the largest corporations in the world when you don't need to? 

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xalaten
[QUOTE="Xalaten"]

heretrix

I hate to break this to you but all businesses are in it for the money. What's next? Are you going to tell me that we need oxygen to breathe? God, I hope not. I don't know how people are going to take that.

Epic doesn't need Microsoft, but why would you want to screw one of the largest corporations in the world when you don't need to? 

So now looking out for yourself as a company and making sure your employees get paid is screwing someone else?

Nice.  

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

SpideR_CentS

just because a game is overated doesnt mean that its bad;) 

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

there is no talk of gears 3 right now, thats why it hasnt been locked up by MS

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Doesn't matter, does it? PS3 owners can always enjoy the games on the PC.
PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PS3Gamer_1
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
[QUOTE="Xalaten"]

heretrix

It's all business.  How would Epic strain their relationship with MS if they decide to do what's best for their company and go multiplat.  There is no loyalty within companies, yes workign relationships, but not loyalty.  You can see that with Square Enix, who jumped at the opportunity to go multiplat, even though they were only PS exclusive with the majority of their titles.  PS didn't want to pony up the money, so we go multiplat.  No harm between them, no foul.  They are still working with SE.  Look at Namco with Tekken.  Tekken has never really appeared on any system other than the PS.  Sony made the game a household name, but they jumped ship!  Same with Eidos and Tomb Raider, Capcom and Resident Evil, etc.  List goes on and on.

MS will have to pay to keep it exclusive, and they will prob pay.  From a financial stand point, this doens't make sense in the short run.  But in the long run it does, since it creates even more loyalty to the current system and future systems by MS.  The next gen xbox can come out with some other iteration of gears and that will be that gen's system seller.  Many bought PS3 for such 3rd party exclusives as MGS4, which was a system seller.  Many bought it for other system sellers such as Final Fantasy, GTA4, Tekken, which were slated to be ps3 exclusives.  While 3rd party exclusives are becoming extinct, MS and Sony have to be wise what games to pay for exclusivity.  I guarantee that had FFXIII and GtaIV remain exclusive, PS3 would have moved even more units than it already had.  

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

PS_John
Just like SOCOM, right? :D
ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

I do not think Epic will ever put Gears on the PS3. 

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Xalaten"]

Xalaten

So now looking out for yourself as a company and making sure your employees get paid is screwing someone else?

Nice.  

Lol. You act like Gears sold 3 copies and they need to go multiplat. I never said that Epic couldn't or wouldn't do it, I said it was highly unlikely given their successful relationship with Microsolft and the fact that MS has basically paid to market Gears to their fanbase. They saved millions of dollars in marketing for both games. I'll bet Insomniac wished Sony did that for them when Resistance launched.

Will Gears sell on the PS3? Probably. But you can bet that if that happens their marketing deal with MS goes poof and they have to kick out the dough themselves to push the 3rd game. I'm sure they'd rather not have to do that.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts
I think MS has Epic and the Gears franchise pretty well locked up. Heck, MS may have the leverage and dare Epic to work with the PS3 HW again. :P
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
I really doubt it that MS will let GeOW 3 go multiplat. Its too much of a big exclusive and IMO is like the original xbox's halo. It's what basically kick-started this gen.KinderChimp
the man talks sense
De_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 De_Bears
Member since 2002 • 1593 Posts

This topic was doomed from the start.  I say let all third party companies make games for both systems; but make them so that they take full advantage of the system benefits.  Let the gamers/ market decide which system has better quality, price, features that meet their need.

Also its been known that Epic is free to choose a publisher after the second game.  Cliffy B (he doesn't go by that anymore) said that controllers are too complicated he'd love to work on simplifying controls.  I think this means he may work on Wii more than a possible PS3 title.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts
There are many rumors about MS buying epic games in Q1 2009, so i think MS will buy them before it goes multi
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts
Everyone knows that the cell can't handle a gears game.
dragonpuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dragonpuppy
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts

Just like how lems were making topics about MGS4 coming to the 360?? See what I did thar? ;)

boxofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 boxofwit
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts
[QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

People would have no clue what's going on.

IronBass

That won't stop RE5 coming to the 360. 

most 360 owners own ps2's, rendering your post invalid.  

Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

It all depends, do MS have deep enough pockets to offset the amount of money Epic can potentially make off going multipat with Gears3?

And to the people who brought up loyalty, just stop and reflect on what happened to sony with it's ps3.

Droopeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Droopeh
Member since 2008 • 638 Posts
I wouldn't say there's no chance, but I don't really see it happening.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
its not going to happen
JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts

I've been reading around a lot lately that Microsoft only has a two game deal with Epic games and that Gears of War 3 will more than likely be multiplatform.

I want some actual facts, not speculation. I'm hearing that Microsoft owns the Gears of War IP and then I'm hearing people insist that Epic owns the Gears of War IP. If Epic owns it and someon can confirm it's only a two game deal with Microsoft, wouldn't it make sense financially for Gears of War 3 to be multipltaform?

Lets keep in mind PS3 has actually sold consoles this year and that's hundreds of thousands of untapped gamers they could be making money on. It was Microsoft exclusive because of the two game deal but if that deal is now over and Microsoft doesn't offer Epic enough millions to renew the exclusivity deal, could be looking at Gears 3 multiplatform in 2010?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Xalaten

Dont even try to get this mess going, lol.... You want to play Gears 2, buy an Xbox. Or dont play it.... your choice.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

It all depends, do MS have deep enough pockets to offset the amount of money Epic can potentially make off going multipat with Gears3?

And to the people who brought up loyalty, just stop and reflect on what happened to sony with it's ps3.

dark-warmachine

The thing is with most of those games Sony did little to deserve any loyalty other then provide the most popular platform. They where 3rd party games with no involvement from Sony. With Gears MS funded its development and paied for a massive marketing campaign. Epic could capatilize in the short term on Gears success by making it multiplatform but that would screw MS over and ruin any chance of similar lucerative publishing deals in the future. I mean what other publisher is going sink millions of dollars into an unproven new IP and not require rights to the franchise? Not EA and not Ubi thats for sure, and MS wouldnt do it again after getting screwed with Gears. So yeah I think Loyality is a factor here.