Is this the generation the hotkey will die?

• 60 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

My friends, the traditional control scheme for MMO's have been

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

These are primarily hot key games with skill bars. For all the change in technology over the past decades, little has changed in that regard.

Arguably, Destiny's attempt to push for FPS/MMO are the norm, has failed.

Is the MMO genre, for this entire generation, predominantly going to be pressing hot-keys for skills bars?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Uhm...... MMO'S suck. :(

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup

Perhaps this excellent thread was too sophisticated.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

You've never actually played an MMO, have you?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

@GarGx1 said:

You've never actually played an MMO, have you?

level 50 gladiator person in that final fantasy game.

Hit 1 key for light stab, hit 2 key for heayer stab, hit 3 key for multiple wack

Hit 6 to spam flash (drawing in enemies) hit 7-8 reduce damage by 50% for 10 seconds.

I'm very good, 63 player recommendations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

What was the question again?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Snugenz

@Gamerno6666 said:

I belive it was, "will games use buttons still".

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Gamerno6666 said:

In an MMO (massively multiplayer Online game), the combat system involves what is commonly called a "skill bar"

These skill bars are typically operated by what is known as "hot-keys", operating a rhythmic system of cool-down, creating a synergy between multiple classes. Typically these classes refereed to as "The Holy Grail", involve a "Tank" (a player character who takes damage), a "Healer" (very low damage but an affinity towards healing), and "DPS" (damage charters who are typically poor human-beings).

Since the beginning of time, little has changed. This, frankly, ambitious thread, asks if this is the cultural turning point, or, if this fundamental staple will remain relatively unchanged.

It's incredibly high brow, well above system wars norm, very understandable people would be confused.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Perhaps this excellent thread was too sophisticated.

LMAO

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GarGx1

@uninspiredcup said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

In an MMO (massively multiplayer Online game), the combat system involves what is commonly called a "skill bar"

These skill bars are typically operated by what is known as "hot-keys", operating a rhythmic system of cool-down, creating a synergy between multiple classes. Typically these classes refereed to as "The Holy Grail", involve a "Tank" (a player character who takes damage), a "Healer" (very low damage but an affinity towards healing), and "DPS" (damage charters who are typically poor human-beings).

Since the beginning of time, little has changed. This, frankly, ambitious thread, asks if this is the cultural turning point, or, if this fundamental staple will remain relatively unchanged.

It's incredibly high brow, well above system wars norm, very understandable people would be confused, this level of intellectualism is typically relegated to neogaf.

So you play FF and then show a screen shot of a WoW skill block, which would require an awful lot more than the keys 1 to 8 if they were to be mapped to hotkeys.

You're also well of on a tangent here, hot keys are used in far more games than MMO's. So ultimately your highbrow thread is doing nothing but demonstrating your ignorance on the subject as a whole.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@GarGx1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

It's incredibly high brow, well above system wars norm, very understandable people would be confused, this level of intellectualism is typically relegated to neogaf.

So you play FF and then show a screen shot of a WoW skill block, which would require an awful lot more than the keys 1 to 8 if they were to be mapped to hotkeys.

You're also well of on a tangent here, hot keys are used in far more games than MMO's. So ultimately your highbrow thread is doing nothing but demonstrating your ignorance on the subject as a whole.

level 80 panda as well. It's well known that the panda is the hardest and most difficult tank to play.

Owned.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GarGx1

@uninspiredcup:

Owned by whom, certainly not you.

I played WoW when the game was challenging, you needed 40 people to carryout the major game raids and a game in Alterac Valley would run for 14 hours.

you can keep your dumbed down easy mode Pandas

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup

@GarGx1 said:

@uninspiredcup:

I played WoW when the game was challenging, you needed 40 people to carryout the major game raids and a game in Alterac Valley would run for 14 hours.

The only challenging thing about Worlds Of Warcrafts if putting up with 14 year olds getting emotionally involved over irrelevance.

Other than that, the game mostly involves standing still pressing the 1-8 keys, exactly like Final Fantasys.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GarGx1

@uninspiredcup:

You don't play much PvP then if you can stand still and press keys 1 - 8 and still 'win'.

However I tend to think this is no more than your usual poor trolling crap. it kind of sad that you think you're winning anything or even getting a rise out of anyone.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@GarGx1 said:

@uninspiredcup:

The only challenging thing about Worlds Of Warcrafts if putting up with 14 year olds getting emotionally involved over irrelevance.

Other than that, the game mostly involves standing still pressing the 1-8 keys, exactly like Final Fantasys.

You have no idea what you're talking about or you're one of the worst players.......ever.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Snugenz

Come on guys, it shouldn't be this easy for him.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup

@GarGx1 said:

@uninspiredcup:

You don't play much PvP then if you can stand still and press keys 1 - 8 and still 'win'.

However I tend to think this is no more than your usual poor trolling crap. it kind of sad that you think you're winning anything or even getting a rise out of anyone.

My friend, the audience who play these video games (MMO's) primarily play for dungeon and raid content.

Having to resort to a largely irrelevant game mode, simply serves to prove the point.

For example:

A Professional World Of Warcraft player.

Loading Video...

Stand still, wait for cooldowns, stand still, wait for cooldowns.

Structurally, this non reactive, rhythmic keyboard style of game-play is inherent to hot-key based video games.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

Between posting someone soloing a level 70 boss as a level 90 character (WoW has absurd power creep), calling the holy trinity, holy grail, and stating that the panda is hard to play (which makes no sense), I seriously dont htink he is serious. Monks are probably the hardest tank in Warlords of Draenor, but that is due to how poorly balanced they were.

But I guess I will post this just for those who are wondering why MMORPGs are still using Hotkey combat.

Hotkey combat will remain as long as it works. It may not be perfect and isnt very exciting compared to better RPGs out there, but it works. MMORPGs that try to move away from traditional hotkey combat, tend to have abysmal, if not flat out broken combat like Guild Wars 2.

Edit: Now I would love something more Mount&Bladelike, soulslike or even Dragon's Dogmalike. But I am not sure the servers can handle that just yet.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends

Loading Video...

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

There are layouts in SC2 that makes use of keeping hotkeys within finger reach.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/341878-thecore-advanced-keyboard-layout

TL:DR version- the layout is designed to use the keys your fingers can reach by resting on the j, i, o, p (qwerty layout) while using the shift and control key to access more layers.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, the traditional control scheme for MMO'shave been.....

Before MOBAs there were MMOs you are talking to a shit community even worse than SW, Call of Duty, Youtube, or gaming in general.

What makes you think you can even have a sensible conversation?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I don't think Destiny bombed in the department of pushing FPSMMO.....especially when they always said it was not an MMO.

I personally want a true FPSMMO.....like fucking Huxley.....WHAT DARK DEPTHS OF NON-EXISTENCE HAS THAT GAME SLIPPED INTO!?!?!?!?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
@notorious1234na said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Before MOBAs there were MMOs you are talking to a shit community even worse than SW, Call of Duty, Youtube, or gaming in general.

Final Fantasy has wonderful people only once a person bad. Complain not enough aggro, managed to get this person back (for making hurtful comments) by running away when boss had 10% health causing wipe out. They were very angry and kicked, but it was worth it.

In comparison, worlds of warcrafts community is full of young people with a bad attitude. Blizzard games in general are full of bad people, not just MMO.

Starcraft, that card game and the other game, all bad.

Regarding panda, throw kegs of shit at enemies, even though shit armour, damage mitigated.

Supposed to be hard, just 1,2 3,4 over and over like children's keyboard toy. Make sure little bar top left swinging. Looking at bar more than game.

Final fantasy also boring, but job allows multiple classes switching without changing character, also class hybrid with magical stone.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Snugenz

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I don't think Destiny bombed in the department of pushing FPSMMO.....especially when they always said it was not an MMO.

I personally want a true FPSMMO.....like fucking Huxley.....WHAT DARK DEPTHS OF NON-EXISTENCE HAS THAT GAME SLIPPED INTO!?!?!?!?

Wow, forgot about Huxley... stuck in the ether with TLG and that Project somthing or other game that vanished years ago.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

wtf, no.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I felt there was a missed opportunity last gen for developers to demand from MS and Sony that they're keypad controller attachments be utilized in games to shortcut more commands, at least as an optional control setup for players that had them. This gen doesn't even have them yet. I've guess the industry has settled on pop up wheels.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

I don't care for your attempts to constantly derail threads, although I approve of this post.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Honestly? That would be nice. MMOs should be a bit more creative with their combat instead of relying on hotkey skills.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@notorious1234na said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Final Fantasy has wonderful people only once a person bad. Complain not enough aggro, managed to get this person back (for making hurtful comments) by running away when boss had 10% health causing wipe out. They were very angry and kicked, but it was worth it.

In comparison, worlds of warcrafts community is full of young people with a bad attitude. Blizzard games in general are full of bad people, not just MMO.

Starcraft, that card game and the other game, all bad.

Regarding panda, throw kegs of shit at enemies, even though shit armour, damage mitigated.

Supposed to be hard, just 1,2 3,4 over and over like children's keyboard toy. Make sure little bar top left swinging. Looking at bar more than game.

Final fantasy also boring, but job allows multiple classes switching without changing character, also class hybrid with magical stone.

just take a look at this thread.

1st post was "MMOs suck"

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@notorious1234na:

They do.... :( they really really do.....

Although to be fair I can't argue my way out of this one..... I just really don't get the genre at all.........

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu

@JangoWuzHere:

Abit ?

Nope...... they should be alot more creative........

Starting by not relying on stats....

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
@lamprey263 said:

I felt there was a missed opportunity last gen for developers to demand from MS and Sony that they're keypad controller attachments be utilized in games to shortcut more commands, at least as an optional control setup for players that had them. This gen doesn't even have them yet. I've guess the industry has settled on pop up wheels.

Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn works surprisingly well with an xbox360 pad, good enough to be perfectly playable: it's quite impressive how they designed UI intuitive for both systems.

The only thing approaching an issue is the targeting systems. Beyond that, a dozen or so skill can be accessed almost as fast as the mouse and keyboard.

Unlike World Of Warcraft, it also features a rudimentary dodging system which actually works better on the control pad, as the player (akin to Darksouls) circles around the target.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#38  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I dont think you really know what hotkeys are. It's not a form UI design, but one of skill/gameplay design. Plenty of RPGs use this, not just MMOs (which is something more of an online environment, specifically).

A game can have 8 or more skills on a bar, but still not be a hotkey game provided that the behaviour of such skills behave beyond than just pressing a skill; activating in a consistent behaviour and it going on a cooldown or something. A simple example is holding down an action/skill to extend the duration of an action eg. blocking for example, or holding to 'charge' a skill manually.

But to answer directly, I dont think it'll ever go away. A good chuck of those that play MMOs are in their own insular communities that will play nothing else if it's not some brand of 'hotkey' MMO and that's all they'll really play; there's just a market there for these games whether you like it or not. Abit off topic: you'll be surprised how much of this community dont use hotkeys and would rather 'skill-click' as the norm and that control method can be used with such hotkey games.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@GarGx1 said:

@uninspiredcup:

you forget the having to pay ALOT of money to play a crappy MMO

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad

@illmatic87 said:

But to answer directly, I dont think it'll ever go away. A good chuck of those that play MMOs are in their own insular communities that will play nothing else if it's not some brand of 'hotkey' MMO and that's all they'll really play; there's just a market there for these games whether you like it or not. Abit off topic: you'll be surprised how much of this community dont use hotkeys and would rather 'skill-click' as the norm and that control method can be used with such hotkey games.

There are a lot of us who do want some moving away from hotkey combat to make something more enjoyable. But thus far, no one has provided us with any good model that works well enough to replace it. So until someone can provide us with a model better than the traditional hotkey model that was probably perfected with World of WarCraft, it is there to stay.

TERA had a good thing going for it, but in the end it felt too stiff.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup

@dylandr said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@GarGx1 said:

@uninspiredcup:

you forget the having to pay ALOT of money to play a crappy MMO

While I love, respect and admire your opinion: strongly (vehemently even), I must disagree.

For example:

Assassins Creed Unity ( which didn't work) costs £49.99. + Special editions £69.99 + DLC/Microtransactions = £120

Realm Reborn (masterpiece) = £25 + £12 for two months of play + 1 month free

Wonderfully, the game has been updated with content periodically that amounts to more than 2/3 of the games original content. including an extended main story, new classes, new dungeons, new areas Much much content!

Loading Video...

Overall: as a paying customer with lots of money, it's difficult to, impossible even to not get any sense of pampering, that these people from the Rising Sun of Japan developing this game, care.

In fact, he cried. Such was the dishonor of the original incarnation, the passion, emotion.

Loading Video...

Did Ubisoft cry? No my friend, they simply put out PR jargon. Very bad people.

It may seem hyperbole, but to declare Realm Reborn the best next generation and pc title, currently, it seems very accurate.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 uninspiredcup

@walloftruth said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@GarGx1 said:

@uninspiredcup:

U wot mate?

Almost every single Final Fantasy plays like that. Don't think you know anything about the series just because you've played A Realm Reborn.

Having read the video games Wikipedia - (an internet source of information similar to a dictionary) it would be perfectly viable to suggest my knowledge of the series exceeds your own.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#46 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@uninspiredcup: You still have alternate MMO's like DCUO, Defiance, Destiny to a certain degree, Guild Wars, etc

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

nope people hate LoL and regular controller d-pads buttons

hotkeys are supreme and intelligent people use them

they are used in military, military and airplanes love tons of hot keys an shit

buttons are for casual idiots

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Dragon Age Inquistion is an offline MMO so if MMO's suck like Dragon age is the trashiest game of all time

it moves like an mmo the frames are low the resloution is bad and its just terrible quality

its sloggish fetch quest MMO styled loot an fetchyness

ppl saying mmo suck Look at the offline mmorpg on the current gen console that run and look like crap an have depth compared to real mmo's on the market place

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ProtossX said:

hotkeys are supreme and intelligent people use them

so i'm going to guess you don't use hotkeys

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Maroxad

@ProtossX said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Dragon Age Inquistion is an offline MMO so if MMO's suck like Dragon age is the trashiest game of all time

it moves like an mmo the frames are low the resloution is bad and its just terrible quality

its sloggish fetch quest MMO styled loot an fetchyness

ppl saying mmo suck Look at the offline mmorpg on the current gen console that run and look like crap an have depth compared to real mmo's on the market place

Dragon Age Inquisition does suck, and so does a lot of AAA RPGs nowadays. And you explained exactly why.

I dont get this mmo hate at all. They hate mmorpgs, yet they praise games that play like mmorpgs to the high heavens, despite having less depth, less content and far less support.