Is the Mid-Tier Game making a major comeback?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

So with The Order 1886 Right around the corner and garnering the "where there's smoke, there's fire" reputation my question to all of you is the Mid-Tier game making a come back?

This Generation hasn't been the most welcoming to AAA games so far but it has been kind to a lot of others

While these games are no top tier games ( Yes AAA game here and in the industry mean different things) they are very SOLID games

In the past year and a half we've gotten really solid games such as

Alien Isolation
Shadow of Mordor
Sunset Overdrive
Dying Light
Evolve
Life Is Strange
Lords of the Fallen
Wolfenstein TNO
The Evil Within

And a few others. While these games are not the best in their class they are really really good and surprising!

So what say you guys? Are these kinda middle tier games that almost went the way of the dinosaur last gen coming back?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

If there are more games like Alien, Mordor, Dying Light, Sunset Overdrive, Wolfenstein and The Evil Within coming... Then yeah, I'm all for it.

AAA game are more and more about the hype and earning back the millions, billions of dollars spent on making and marketing the game. Usually coming with some really cheap tactics to do so, like releasing the game broken and patching later (BF4, Unity, ... or releasing boat loads of DLC and timesavers (BF4, Unity, ...)

But the mid tier is not free from that either. Case in point: Evolve.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Animal-Mother: I wouldn't count Life Is Strange as mid-tier, but other than that I want to play it and the rest of the games on the list. Strange how most AAA games aren't pulling me nearly as much as those (with some mild exceptions like MGS5, FF15 and UC4).

I think they should rethink their pricing strategy though. Despite still costing millions it's hard for the average consumer to trust a new mid-tier IP when it costs just as much as the "traditional" and better known AAA franchises. $40-$50 would be the sweetspot IMO.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I'm all for it. The more options of games to play the better,

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

YOU GOT BANNED

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Don't most of those games have AAA budgets, though?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Animal-Mother

@Blabadon said:

YOU GOT BANNED

I ROSE FROM THE GRAVE PLEASE REPLY TO THE TOPIC

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I'm all for it. The more options of games to play the better,

I agree with this.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I don't think there's a clear definition of what defines AAA budgets.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

I'm willing to bet all those cost AAA monies to make.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@ninjapirate2000 said:

I'm willing to bet all those cost AAA monies to make.

Yeah, I don't see how something like Shadow of Mordor can be considered mid tier... open world titles are ambitious and expensive.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i hope so.. some of my favorite games from last gen were the middle budget games.. Ninja Theory seems to be going the right way with Hellblade

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Is Animal Mother making a comeback?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#14 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I don't consider most of those titles Mid-Tier since those had high production values and a lot of marketing. So, most of those are AAA. That said, yes I have noticed that most non-AAA games (not including lowest extreme aka indies) have been offering more than AAA games for some time now and people have started to realize that. I think most of the gems in game industry come from these games that lie somewhere between two extremes (indie and AAA).

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

Sony was king of AA exclusives last gen. Sucks that they are pulling away from that this gen. The Order is definitely AAA considering production values and marketing.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

In recent years AAA has come to mean mediocre game and massive marketing budget. So the more game and less marketing we get the better it is for everyone.

AAA budget games will ultimately do more harm to the games industry than good.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I don't think any of those are mid-tier games because they were hardly budgeted and marketed like a mid tier game. They are still triple A titles.

Mid-tier is more like the indie kickstarter projects like Divinity Original Sin or what Nintendo is doing with Captain Toad and Kirby, budget titles at 40 bucks. That was what the middle tier was during the PS2 era.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19  Edited By Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I don't consider most of those titles Mid-Tier since those had high production values and a lot of marketing. So, most of those are AAA. That said, yes I have noticed that most non-AAA games (not including lowest extreme aka indies) have been offering more than AAA games for some time now and people have started to realize that. I think most of the gems in game industry come from these games that lie somewhere between two extremes (indie and AAA).

I think the difference is Shadow of Mordor lacked the Carny Marketting that oversells what the game was capable of.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Animal-Mother

@jg4xchamp said:

I don't think any of those are mid-tier games because they were hardly budgeted and marketed like a mid tier game. They are still triple A titles.

Mid-tier is more like the indie kickstarter projects like Divinity Original Sin or what Nintendo is doing with Captain Toad and Kirby, budget titles at 40 bucks. That was what the middle tier was during the PS2 era.

When I say mid tier, I mean that they don't garner the fervor that games like the order or a bunch of these "AAA" titles get ala gears or uncharted.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

When I say mid tier, I mean that they don't garner the fervor that games like the order or a bunch of these "AAA" titles get ala gears or uncharted.

I mean that's more like just being any other multiplat that isn't a sequel, more hype oriented than the game being a middle tier game.

I will agree and say a lot of those games are hilariously more deserving of love than their AAA counterparts like Halo, Gears ,or Uncharted. The New Order was one of the better FPS games in a good while, Alien Isolation is one poor 2nd half being dropped from the game from being one of the best horror games I've ever played, The Evil Within in all its roughness is a nice throw back to "figure it out" gameplay that most triple A games refuse to be, because they cater to pansies, and Shadow of Mordor was....honestly it was aight.

Life is Strange is probably a better argument as a mid-tier game, I sort of like the first episode, but what's weird is that the whole time bending thing was a small element in Remember Me that actually had some interesting sequences built around it. Life is Strange is that entire mechanic, but with nothing built around it. You basically rewind time to change your dialogue choice, that's lame.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

A large studio with skilled developers, published by a publisher, has a marketing team, etc. (And I mean that all of these are requirements as a whole, not individually)

It's quite easy to define.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Animal-Mother

@jg4xchamp said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I mean that's more like just being any other multiplat that isn't a sequel, more hype oriented than the game being a middle tier game.

I will agree and say a lot of those games are hilariously more deserving of love than their AAA counterparts like Halo, Gears ,or Uncharted. The New Order was one of the better FPS games in a good while, Alien Isolation is one poor 2nd half being dropped from the game from being one of the best horror games I've ever played, The Evil Within in all its roughness is a nice throw back to "figure it out" gameplay that most triple A games refuse to be, because they cater to pansies, and Shadow of Mordor was....honestly it was aight.

Life is Strange is probably a better argument as a mid-tier game, I sort of like the first episode, but what's weird is that the whole time bending thing was a small element in Remember Me that actually had some interesting sequences built around it. Life is Strange is that entire mechanic, but with nothing built around it. You basically rewind time to change your dialogue choice, that's lame.

Just inject wolfenstein into me

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp
@parkurtommo said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

A large studio with skilled developers, published by a publisher, has a marketing team, etc. (And I mean that all of these are requirements as a whole, not individually)

Eh, THQ and Atari weren't really triple A publishers, a lot of the projects they were funding were totally middle tier games.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Animal-Mother

@jg4xchamp said:
@parkurtommo said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Eh, THQ and Atari weren't really triple A publishers, a lot of the projects they were funding were totally middle tier games.

GB really thinks THQ was

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

GB really thinks THQ was

I mean late in their run they had to be, they sort of needed bigger projects to get them big pay days. Plus Saints Row The Third

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

What defines a large studio? Subjective

What determines whether or not a developer is skilled? Also subjective AND implies that indie developers are not skilled

All games are published by someone, therefore they all need a publisher.

What size marketing team? Small one person team who markets on social media is not a marketing team? What is the requirement?

Clearly not so easy to define, especially since we're talking about the different between AAA and mid-tier games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think you define it by the total budget of the game, but I'm not sure how many millions you have to spend to qualify anymore.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By parkurtommo

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@parkurtommo said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

What defines a large studio? Subjective

What determines whether or not a developer is skilled? Also subjective AND implies that indie developers are not skilled

All games are published by someone, therefore they all need a publisher.

What size marketing team? Small one person team who markets on social media is not a marketing team? What is the requirement?

Clearly not so easy to define, especially since we're talking about the different between AAA and mid-tier games.

If you say so.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By parkurtommo

@jg4xchamp said:
@parkurtommo said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, I think THQ invested in the Darksiders series enough to call it their AAA "franchise". They did market that game decently.

I think one of the main ways to tell when something is "supposed" to be an AAA game is when it has extensive marketing. But like, idk if we're talking about AAA scores or AAA budgets.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

So with The Order 1886 Right around the corner and garnering the "where there's smoke, there's fire" reputation my question to all of you is the Mid-Tier game making a come back?

This Generation hasn't been the most welcoming to AAA games so far but it has been kind to a lot of others

While these games are no top tier games ( Yes AAA game here and in the industry mean different things) they are very SOLID games

In the past year and a half we've gotten really solid games such as

Alien Isolation

Shadow of Mordor

Sunset Overdrive

Dying Light

Evolve

Life Is Strange

Lords of the Fallen

Wolfenstein TNO

The Evil Within

And a few others. While these games are not the best in their class they are really really good and surprising!

So what say you guys? Are these kinda middle tier games that almost went the way of the dinosaur last gen coming back?

i hope so because those are the games i most play TBH, a lot of my favorite games where mid tier games.

I tend to find Mid tier games to be a more solid gaming experience, Top tier titles tend to be Milked to hell and back and are usually the same old with a new lick of paint like call of duty for example.

Take Alien isolation, i found it to be a totally fresh gaming experience that had really Solid gameplay mechanics, solid graphics and i Found it genuinely Scary and it was a big old game, lots of bang for your buck.

It's nice to see an interesting topic on here for once instead of the Fanboy vs Fanboy crap, Nice one Animal mother