Is the Final Fantasy 15 demo an April fools joke? Because it's absolutely horrendous

• 99 results
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Eek. I'm not sure what Platinum was supposed to be, but oh boy are we in trouble. Horrendous two button combat with a broken dodge button on top of crappy textures and crappy movement controls. Pile on some awful script and terrible acting and we've got the makings of a flop. I don't know how crappy movement controls can exist in 2016 but here we are.

I don't know how any of you enjoyed this mindless, half-assed attempt at a demo, but man this was awful. Collecting mario coins and battling blue smirfs, what a great taste of a 60$ waste that's releasing september 30.

I really wanted this to be good- but after the last demo and now this, I am definitely worried.

Was this a tech demo or something? What the hell did I just play

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Luckily the majority of people who have played the demo think other wise, aka they don't have **** taste like you.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Yeah, it was right shit.

Music was good though.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shmiity

@Ballroompirate said:

Luckily the majority of people who have played the demo think other wise, aka they don't have **** taste like you.

I hope you're kidding. This is the grand Final Fantasy 15 that you wanted? Crappy 2 button combat on top of clunky controls? Listen man, Im not here to troll you- you actually thought this was a good experience? Collecting mario coins and battling blue smirfs with 2 buttons?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

> Square Enix internal.

> Nomura at the helm originally.

> Real time combat.

^

That's a bad combo right there.

Yeah, the combat was destined to be weak, most people could have told you that years ago.

I expect the game to look pretty, have a boss soundtrack, and be busting out the seams with an absurd amount of content. If it actually plays worth a damn, or has a story that doesn't make you feel dumber for experiencing it, I'll be surprised.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

It's just another disappointment in the Final Fantasy line, I don't understand how anyone could have believed otherwise after FF13.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

and it ran like shit too

900p and constant drops below 30fps nearly at all times.Half the time it was running near 20fps,literally takes the meaning "cinematic" to a whole new level.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shmiity

@ConanTheStoner said:

> Square Enix internal.

> Nomura at the helm originally.

> Real time combat.

Yeah, the combat was destined to be weak, most people could have told you that years ago.

I expect the game to look pretty, have a boss soundtrack, and be busting out the seams with an absurd amount of content. If it actually plays worth a damn, or has a story that doesn't make you feel dumber for experiencing it, I'll be surprised.

Listen, I appreciate this post. Tell me I'm not crazy- what I just played was really, really bad. If the combat was designed to be weak why was this game even made? I'm more excited for Two Worlds 3 than this game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ballroompirate

@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I hope you're kidding. This is the grand Final Fantasy 15 that you wanted? Crappy 2 button combat on top of clunky controls? Listen man, Im not here to troll you- you actually thought this was a good experience? Collecting mario coins and battling blue smirfs with 2 buttons?

It's not like it was made by the guy who made Kingdom Hearts...oh wait

The door is that way -------------------------->

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shmiity

@Ballroompirate said:
@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Can you have an open discussion with me about why you thought the demo was good? Like I really want to know.

Justinb90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Justinb90
Member since 2016 • 19 Posts

It was more of a tech demo to showcase the weather and day night cycle since they had those two buttons littered all over the demo per level.

Looked nothing like the footage shown yesterday, blurry Vaseline smeared 900p + 12x FXAA

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shmiity

@justinb90 said:

It was more of a tech demo to showcase the weather and day night cycle since they had those two buttons littered all over the demo per level.

Looked nothing like the footage shown yesterday, blurry Vaseline smeared 900p + 12x FXAA

Why was this released to the public? Huge mistake if you ask me

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner  Online
@Shmiity said:

Listen, I appreciate this post. Tell me I'm not crazy- what I just played was really, really bad. If the combat was designed to be weak why was this game even made? I'm more excited for Two Worlds 3 than this game.

I say destined to be weak because SE doesn't have a great track record with real time combat and Tetsuya Nomura, the dude was directing the shit show for years, is the same brilliant guy that brought us the KH series, known for terrible combat.

Why was it made? Because SE has been giving the green light to terrible ideas for the past decade.

It started development as a spin off game. Then it went into development hell. Then, SE having nothing to show for a next gen FF title, re-purposed this game to fill that gap.

I'm just hoping that SE can pull a nice reset after this game releases.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I just hope if you are complaing about this demo you've at least played Episode duscae.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shmiity

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Shmiity said:

I say destined to be weak because SE doesn't have a great track record with real time combat and Tetsuya Nomura, the dude was directing the shit show for years, is the same brilliant guy that brought us the KH series, known for terrible combat.

Why was it made? Because SE has been giving the green light to terrible ideas for the past decade.

It started development as a spin off game. Then it went into development hell. Then, SE having nothing to show for a next gen FF title, re-purposed this game to fill that gap.

I'm just hoping that SE can pull a nice reset after this game releases.

Best Final Fantasy game that has come out in years was Bravely Default :(

How can they simply reset after this? They have screwed up so much this year already- with Hitman, Deus Ex preorders, FF7 episodic remake- now this? SE is quickly falling to my least trusted developer.

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

The combat was very barebones because it was a tech demo with many of the most basic combat mechanics unavailable. I think the fact you did not even have an HP bar until the boss should have made this pretty blatantly obvious.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shmiity

@quakeknight1991 said:

The combat was very barebones because it was a tech demo with many of the most basic combat mechanics unavailable. I think the fact you did not even have an HP bar until the boss should have made this pretty blatantly obvious.

Why would you release a tech demo to the public? Every gaming website went crazy on the press for a NEW FINAL FANTASY 15 DEMO- and now millions of people are playing this really bad impression of the game. Bad PR move in my opinion

quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 quakeknight1991

I do agree it was terrible PR move.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shmiity

@Zidaneski: Yeah man, I did. Neither of these demos bode well for the FF15 release. I am now officially more excited for Two World 3- which will be guaranteed terrible.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner  Online
@Shmiity said:

How can they simply reset after this? They have screwed up so much this year already- with Hitman, Deus Ex preorders, FF7 episodic remake- now this? SE is quickly falling to my least trusted developer.

Just wishful thinking on my part man.

Last gen they fell the **** off in such a terrible way. I'm just hoping that once FFXV is out the door, they can recover from that dark era and move on. They were one of my favorite devs from the SNES up through the PS2. Part of me believes that it's not too late for them to get their shit together.

And from what I hear, FFXIV is a fine game. I don't play MMOs, so I wouldn't know, but everything I hear about it seems pretty positive. Maybe once FFXV is released, their internal teams can go back to the drawing board and regain their glory.

Of course I'm just talking about SE as game designers. I doubt there is anything that can be done about their business practices.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shmiity

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Shmiity said:

Just wishful thinking on my part man.

Last gen they fell the **** off in such a terrible way. I'm just hoping that once FFXV is out the door, they can recover from that dark era and move on. They were one of my favorite devs from the SNES up through the PS2. Part of me believes that it's not too late for them to get their shit together.

And from what I hear, FFXIV is a fine game. I don't play MMOs, so I wouldn't know, but everything I hear about it seems pretty positive. Maybe once FFXV is released, their internal teams can go back to the drawing board and regain their glory.

Of course I'm just talking about SE as game designers. I doubt there is anything that can be done about their business practices.

Man, SE's past 10 years of business are worse than like... youtube comments. Worse than the league community, worse than Peter Molyneux, worse than those three things put together. It's been so bad

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NotAFanboy
Member since 2015 • 573 Posts

@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I haven't played the demo yet, but I was afraid of something like this.

After the disaster that was FFXIII, SE had to drastically improve the series or FF would be over.

I feel they spent too much time brainstorming on XV and then just decided to go with the current XV after they couldn't think of anything better. Very disappointed with SE.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The pre-order demo released last year is a far better representation of the game.

No, the combat is not better in the other demo, but the crazy presentation and attention to detail just looks much cooler. That's why people buy these games right? You're not here for a super engaging gameplay experience, it's all about the spectacle and (debatably) engaging story.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shmiity

@notafanboy said:
@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I haven't played the demo yet, but I was afraid of something like this.

After the disaster that was FFXIII, SE had to drastically improve the series or FF would be over.

I feel they spent too much time brainstorming on XV and then just decided to go with the current XV after they couldn't think of anything better. Very disappointed with SE.

Im not trolling when I say this: The FF15 platinum demo may have been the worst demo I have ever played. Honest to god, honest to goodness, honest to our lord and savior Hidetaka Miyazaki, it's that bad. It plays like shit, runs like shit, looks like shit, sounds like shit- the complete package I have rarely experienced.

quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By quakeknight1991

People who played Duscae and have been following FFXV should know it is more than two button combat. Aside from the basic attack you also have techniques ( which were unavailable in the demo) , warpstrikes (you did not have these in this demo until the boss) and arminger.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shmiity

@JangoWuzHere said:

The pre-order demo released last year is a far better representation of the game.

No, the combat is not better in the other demo, but the crazy presentation and attention to detail just looks much cooler. That's why people buy these games right? You're not here for a super engaging gameplay experience, it's all about the spectacle and (debatably) engaging story.

Is that really all we're looking for in games now? That just makes me nervous. The game is 5 months from release- and you can count me as worried.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shmiity

@quakeknight1991 said:

People who played Duscae and have been following FFXV should know it is more than two button combat. Aside from the basic attack you also have techniques ( which were unavailable in the demo) , warpstrikes (you did not have these in this demo until the boss) and arminger.

I'll say it again: Why even release this? It's a terrible impression of the game for potential buyers. Really, really, bad.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@Shmiity: Square has tried to do japanese business in the Western market. There's no other explanation to it, it's like Konami, totally alien and borderline moronic.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shmiity

@kaealy said:

@Shmiity: Square has tried to do japanese business in the Western market. There's no other explanation to it, it's like Konami, totally alien and borderline moronic.

Don't talk to me about Konami- my blood pressure will go through the roof. Bring in Capcom and I'll be in cardiac arrest by the end of tonight

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Shmiity said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

Is that really all we're looking for in games now? That just makes me nervous. The game is 5 months from release- and you can count me as worried.

Well, I'm not, but that's what Final Fantasy has been for years now. It peaked in absurdity with the release of FFXIII. Half of that game was an interactive movie, and the other half is a snoozefest open world adventure. From what I played, XV will offer a far more engaging experience, but it's still not great as a game. I enjoy seeing the absurd animations and lighting effects, but actually fighting enemies still feels wonky and unengaging.

Why do you think that they're making an anime AND a movie tie-in? Square is going all in on spectacle. The fact that they need to sell 10 million just for this game to be successful basically proves that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Shmiity:

Crazy shit right? These three companies were fucking juggernauts of the industry. Amazing to see how far each of them have fallen.

At least Capcom can still design a great game though lol. For all of the controversy surrounding SFV and its shit show of a release, it still plays like a dream and it's my favorite game of the year so far.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ballroompirate

@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Can you have an open discussion with me about why you thought the demo was good? Like I really want to know.

You haven't even played the demo, did you seriously try and say there's terrible acting/script in the demo when literally 95% of that 20 min demo is Carbuncles meep sound and even when there was dialogue with young Noctis it was actually pretty decent (not even close to being as bad as Tidus or Vaan). As for crappy controls this demo is not even close to representing the final game, if anything play the first demo and notice the difference. The combat plays like a KH game cause you know why IT'S MADE BY THE FRAKING DUDE WHO MADE KH.

If you expected FF15 to be some sort of classic turn based FF game I don't to ether call you blind or just daft, anyone who's been keeping up with the game the past two years should know by now what the game is going for.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shmiity

@JangoWuzHere said:
@Shmiity said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

Well, I'm not, but that's what Final Fantasy has been for years now. It peaked in absurdity with the release of FFXIII. Half of that game was an interactive movie, and the other half is a snoozefest open world adventure. From what I played, XV will offer a far more engaging experience, but it's still not great as a game. I enjoy seeing the absurd animations and lighting effects, but actually fighting enemies still feels wonky and unengaging.

Why do you think that they're making an anime AND a movie tie-in? Square is going all in on spectacle. The fact that they need to sell 10 million just for this game to be successful basically proves that.

10 year development cycle doesn't do anyone any favors. Oh dont worry- they will sell 10 million units to diehards and stupid consumers. I can't guarantee a good game, but I can guarantee this entry will be profitable. Which is really, really unfortunate

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner  Online
@Ballroompirate said:

The combat plays like a KH game cause you know why IT'S MADE BY THE FRAKING DUDE WHO MADE KH.

Does that really help the situation though?

You're basically saying "hey, this dude made shitty combat systems previously, and he continues to do so now"... I mean yeah, that's the damn truth, but it doesn't really do anything to nullify the issue lol.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shmiity

@Ballroompirate said:
@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:

You haven't even played the demo, did you seriously try and say there's terrible acting/script in the demo when literally 95% of that 20 min demo is Carbuncles meep sound and even when there was dialogue with young Noctis it was actually pretty decent (not even close to being as bad as Tidus or Vaan). As for crappy controls this demo is not even close to representing the final game, if anything play the first demo and notice the difference. The combat plays like a KH game cause you know why IT'S MADE BY THE FRAKING DUDE WHO MADE KH.

If you expected FF15 to be some sort of classic turn based FF game I don't to ether call you blind or just daft, anyone who's been keeping up with the game the past two years should know by now what the game is going for.

Wait so the guy made crappy combat before, and now that's acceptable because he's doing it in final fantasy? What reasoning is that? This game is going to suck, man, just pre order Dark Souls 3 like a good little hollow and move on. And yes, the acting sucks, and yes, the script sucks, Im sorry, but you know Im right.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ballroompirate

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Ballroompirate said:

The combat plays like a KH game cause you know why IT'S MADE BY THE FRAKING DUDE WHO MADE KH.

You're basically saying "hey, this dude made shitty combat systems previously, and he continues to do so now"... I mean yeah, that's the damn truth, but it doesn't really do anything to nullify the issue lol.

Again what did you expect, going back to a 30+ year old turn based style of combat. There's literally gonna be two forms of combat in a JRPG, turn based and the KH/Tales style of combat. Like this isn't even new dude and you should know by now, I mean hell they've been showing off the combat for FF15 for a few years now.

Even then if you're playing a FF game for the combat experience, you're doing it wrong and you should also know this (FF6 ftw). If FF15 delivers an amazing story, cast of characters, exploration and soundtrack then SE did a good job on it, if not then we will know Sept 30th, is it gonna be FF13 bad? most likely no cause that game was crap the day it was shown.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I found the demo to be pretty lackluster as well.

It was boring as shit then I get to the boss and don't have a clue what I'm doing and somehow spamming my attack worked.

Not neseccarily making me hyped for the game.

Hopefully it's just that this demo was shit.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ballroompirate

@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Shmiity said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Shmiity said:

Wait so the guy made crappy combat before, and now that's acceptable because he's doing it in final fantasy? What reasoning is that? This game is going to suck, man, just pre order Dark Souls 3 like a good little hollow and move on. And yes, the acting sucks, and yes, the script sucks, Im sorry, but you know Im right.

I don't agree with daft people, sorry.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ConanTheStoner  Online
@Ballroompirate said:

Again what did you expect, going back to a 30+ year old turn based style of combat. There's literally gonna be two forms of combat in a JRPG, turn based and the KH/Tales style of combat. Like this isn't even new dude and you should know by now, I mean hell they've been showing off the combat for FF15 for a few years now.

Even then if you're playing a FF game for the combat experience, you're doing it wrong and you should also know this (FF6 ftw). If FF15 delivers an amazing story, cast of characters, exploration and soundtrack then SE did a good job on it, if not then we will know Sept 30th, is it gonna be FF13 bad? most likely no cause that game was crap the day it was shown.

Oh, I'm not saying I expected anything different man, I'm just saying that knowing full well the combat is going to suck doesn't stop it from... well, sucking lol.

Not to get too far off on the subject here, but I'm not one of these guys who finds turn based combat to be a relic, it's just a different style of gameplay altogether. I would much rather go for a solid turn based system than a poor real time system. That being said, real time combat in a JRPG could still be great. It seems you've pretty much settled on expecting the status quo, I'm just saying that it could (and should) be better.

And of course, I know FF isn't strictly about combat, the combat is only one part of the greater whole, sure. But seeing as you spend so much time fighting enemies in this game, it would be nice for the gamey aspect that makes up the bulk of your play time to actually be fun and engaging. Yeah, if they manage to check off all the other boxes with flying colors, awesome, but I'd still like to enjoy the core gameplay as well.

And no, I don't expect it to be FFXIII bad either. FFXV already looks MUCH more appealing, but FFXIII isn't exactly a good bar to measure from haha. While we're comparing the two though, there is a chance that FFXIII's battle system might still be better than FFXV's, just sayin.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Hmmm... I didn't mind the controls, I heard this demo was not about the combat anyway. The framerate sucked though, I bet they won't release a game that runs at 20 fps.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Makes you wonder how much they are fucking up FF7. Please be excited.

Why don't they just give people wh

at they want, I really hate it when companies get arrogant.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23993 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@Ballroompirate said:

The problem isnt the fact that it has action combat, the problem is that it is a terrible implementation of action combat.

Anyways, brushing aside your redicilous false dilemma fallacy. You are dead wrong on the two forms of combat in JRPGs. On the top of my head,

Turn Based+Menu Based, ATB (Which is while not turn based but is menu based), Roguelike-esque, Real Time with Pause esque (Xenoblade), Tactical Turn Based (FFT, FE), Tactical Real Time, Third Person Action, Isometric Action. And even all of these have several different implementations.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ballroompirate

@Maroxad: You do realize half of that **** you listed is in more than JRPG's right which can be found in WRPGs/ARPGs as well, I also wanna know how you got a full copy of FF15 since you have a clear picture of the combat sucking in FF15, oh right talking out your ass as usual.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Maroxad

@Ballroompirate said:

@Maroxad: You do realize half of that **** you listed is in more than JRPG's right which can be found in WRPGs/ARPGs as well, I also wanna know how you got a full copy of FF15 since you have a clear picture of the combat sucking in FF15, oh right talking out your ass as usual.

No one ever said they were exclusive to jRPGs.

I havent played FF15, so I am merely trying to clarify what they are saying, since you clearly have a difficult time understanding.

quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By quakeknight1991

Now that people have explored the demo, you can actually do some pretty neat things with the combat system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhpNDPCx7A

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Why did people expect anything different ?

Squares recent record with final fantasy doesn't suggest the games are getting better.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#48 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Shmiity: Yeah, Square Enix was never known for mind blowing gameplay. The only thing this game impressed me with is the graphics but the concept itself looks dead retarded. The main guy looks like if Cloud Strife had a baby with Squall but cheated on him with Zack. It was hilarious hearing the developers say that the future of JRPG's rest on this game's shoulders.

The industry has moved on! Final Fantasy is not the only JRPG in the world!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Maroxad

@quakeknight1991 said:

Now that people have explored the demo, you can actually do some pretty neat things with the combat system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhpNDPCx7A

Am I supposed to be impressed? Because that looked incredibly mediocre.

Spamming attack and dodging when the enemy attacks is hardly neat.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

Agreed. Some people spew hyperbolic garbage and think they have some blessed opinions that everyone should hear.