Is reusing assets ok?

Posted by uninspiredcup (7840 posts) 5 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Is reusing assets ok? (21 votes)

Ye 90%
Ne 10%

My friends. Today I thinking about Call Of Duty while sitting on the toilet seat.

As I thought about how they reused assets,wholly copy pasting entire map sections, sequences. models and textures while attempting to overcharge me more than the price of a pc game, rage ensued.

But then, Valve re-assets in Halflife 2 Episode 1 and Episode 2. However, this is an expansion pack and much cheaper. Around 4 times cheaper.

I need your opinion, as it is very good. Probably the best. When is it ok and not ok? Is it ever ok?

#1 Posted by Blabadon (25934 posts) -

Yes, nothing in a video game is entitled to me and a few reused assets won't hurt anything.

#2 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Don't see the problem with it, they're your assets. Just do it cleverly an with purpose.

#3 Edited by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

So long as they fit in with the rest of the title in: artstyle, poly count, tone, and general feel, then I see no reason why they can't be reused in moderation.

Obviously though, assets age quickly, especially as technology and engines advance so quickly. So while it is ok to reuse a few models from one game to maybe it's sequel a couple of years later; I find the Call of Duty example to be taking the mickey. Reusing entire animation sequences, maps, sound effects, and assets on a game 3/4 years later on a 'new' engine on a new console generation is unacceptable in my eyes, especially from a large company such as IW.

Also, Gran Turismo was an unacceptable reuse of assets. While it provided more 'new' assets and ideas unlike Call of Duty, it was still appalling to see old car models being used and old sound effects that were well past their prime.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (7840 posts) -

I think their should be a distinction between expansion packs and a full sequel. Halflife Episode 1-2 take place within the same universe/world as Halflife 2. And, in actuality, Valve did take the time to update models and textures.

The price point (£19.99) made episode 1 fair as well I feel. And with "The Orange Box" featuring Team Fortress 2, Portal as well as Episode 1 and the original Halflife 2, quality was unarguable.

When you have a billiondollar game like Call Of Duty, released as quickly as possible for as expensive as possible, it is a problem I feel. Much in the same way a homeless person walking up to you spitting in your face and fucking off with your wallet to buy some Jack D is a problem.

#5 Posted by cainetao11 (16892 posts) -

It isn't illegal. We hold the power to not buy. Absolutely pointless looking for reasons to hate COD.

#6 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3475 posts) -

It's great.

#7 Posted by uninspiredcup (7840 posts) -

It isn't illegal.

Many scams are perfectly legal.

#8 Posted by finalstar2007 (24953 posts) -

Yes, you know what they say if isnt broken dont try to fix it.. due to the constant nagging with CoD people ruined CoD, it used to be so fun with MW2 and MW3 but now? the games are pretty boring to play.

#9 Edited by airshocker (29040 posts) -

Reusing assets from the same game isn't bad, but reusing assets from PREVIOUS games is extremely lazy.

#10 Posted by cainetao11 (16892 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

It isn't illegal.

Then you're commenting from a moral high ground. And without full disclosure of your morals or behavior with money, I cant take it seriously.

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (7840 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

It isn't illegal.

Then you're commenting from a moral high ground. And without full disclosure of your morals or behavior with money, I cant take it seriously.

This is apologist poop.

#12 Posted by padaporra (3393 posts) -

Of course it is.

#13 Posted by Ghost120x (3739 posts) -

I have no problem with it as long as they do something new with the game, but after a while it gets old and you can tell.

#14 Posted by Animal-Mother (26554 posts) -

Yes it is. When you spend millions upon millions on an engine and just make return on the game why spend millions and millions you don't have to recreate assets you need.

This by far has to be the dumbest thread ever.

#15 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24898 posts) -

As much as I HATE Capcom for Reusing all of Megaman Legends 3 assets on a Lost Planet 3DS game, I think it would have been a waste to not have used them.

#16 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

Yes, in moderation it's fine. It means more content so why not?

#17 Posted by Krelian-co (10373 posts) -

Yes it is. When you spend millions upon millions on an engine and just make return on the game why spend millions and millions you don't have to recreate assets you need.

This by far has to be the dumbest thread ever.

it's an uninspiredcupofgarbage thread, did you expect any different?

#18 Posted by getyeryayasout (7177 posts) -

Funny thread from a guy who uses the same two words to open every topic he creates. :P

#19 Posted by Cranler (8726 posts) -

I think their should be a distinction between expansion packs and a full sequel. Halflife Episode 1-2 take place within the same universe/world as Halflife 2. And, in actuality, Valve did take the time to update models and textures.

The price point (£19.99) made episode 1 fair as well I feel. And with "The Orange Box" featuring Team Fortress 2, Portal as well as Episode 1 and the original Halflife 2, quality was unarguable.

When you have a billiondollar game like Call Of Duty, released as quickly as possible for as expensive as possible, it is a problem I feel. Much in the same way a homeless person walking up to you spitting in your face and fucking off with your wallet to buy some Jack D is a problem.

Ghosts was updated graphically. Textures are better, lighting improved and tessellation was added.

The price for EP 1 isnt all that great. It's a 4 hour campaign. Ghosts has a 6 hour campaign, mp with tons of modes, Extinction and Squad mode.

Orange Box pricing was simply a failed attempt to get consolites into valve games.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (7840 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Ghosts was updated graphically. Textures are better, lighting improved and tessellation was added.

The price for EP 1 isnt all that great. It's a 4 hour campaign. Ghosts has a 6 hour campaign, mp with tons of modes, Extinction and Squad mode.

Orange Box pricing was simply a failed attempt to get consolites into valve games.

It's worth noting as well, aside from being overpriced, recycling content and making incredibly inferior titles to Valve, they also ripped off KOTOR 2. Truly the scourge of the earth.

#21 Edited by cainetao11 (16892 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

It isn't illegal.

This is apologist poop.

I was in no way being serious. You have made me laugh out loud by typing poop. But in reality, what is there to apologize for? Its not illegal, and a scam is when someone is unaware of something that they pay for not being what it was represented to be. I don't see that happening with HD remakes. Everyone knows these games are made before, and still will buy them again.

#22 Posted by uninspiredcup (7840 posts) -

I agree. (with my post).

#23 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

It depends on how its done. Majora's Mask reused a ton of assets from OT, and it turned out great.

#24 Posted by Cranler (8726 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It's worth noting as well, aside from being overpriced, recycling content and making incredibly inferior titles to Valve, they also ripped off KOTOR 2. Truly the scourge of the earth.

Inferior? That's your opinion. More people play CoD than valve shooters.

Ghosts is overflowing with content. Lot's of bang for your buck compared to most titles.

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (7840 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Inferior? That's your opinion. More people play CoD than valve shooters.

More people have seen Transformers than Ran. This is a poor argument my friend.

That and Valve are the best, Deep down, you know it be true.

#26 Posted by Spitfire-Six (501 posts) -

Have any of you modeled a character ? Time is money

#27 Edited by pelvist (4630 posts) -

Apparently, half the animations in Skyrim where from Oblivion and people seemed to love Skyrim.