Is reusing assets ok?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Is reusing assets ok? (21 votes)

Ye 90%
Ne 10%

My friends. Today I thinking about Call Of Duty while sitting on the toilet seat.

As I thought about how they reused assets,wholly copy pasting entire map sections, sequences. models and textures while attempting to overcharge me more than the price of a pc game, rage ensued.

But then, Valve re-assets in Halflife 2 Episode 1 and Episode 2. However, this is an expansion pack and much cheaper. Around 4 times cheaper.

I need your opinion, as it is very good. Probably the best. When is it ok and not ok? Is it ever ok?

• 
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yes, nothing in a video game is entitled to me and a few reused assets won't hurt anything.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Don't see the problem with it, they're your assets. Just do it cleverly an with purpose.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

So long as they fit in with the rest of the title in: artstyle, poly count, tone, and general feel, then I see no reason why they can't be reused in moderation.

Obviously though, assets age quickly, especially as technology and engines advance so quickly. So while it is ok to reuse a few models from one game to maybe it's sequel a couple of years later; I find the Call of Duty example to be taking the mickey. Reusing entire animation sequences, maps, sound effects, and assets on a game 3/4 years later on a 'new' engine on a new console generation is unacceptable in my eyes, especially from a large company such as IW.

Also, Gran Turismo was an unacceptable reuse of assets. While it provided more 'new' assets and ideas unlike Call of Duty, it was still appalling to see old car models being used and old sound effects that were well past their prime.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

I think their should be a distinction between expansion packs and a full sequel. Halflife Episode 1-2 take place within the same universe/world as Halflife 2. And, in actuality, Valve did take the time to update models and textures.

The price point (£19.99) made episode 1 fair as well I feel. And with "The Orange Box" featuring Team Fortress 2, Portal as well as Episode 1 and the original Halflife 2, quality was unarguable.

When you have a billiondollar game like Call Of Duty, released as quickly as possible for as expensive as possible, it is a problem I feel. Much in the same way a homeless person walking up to you spitting in your face and fucking off with your wallet to buy some Jack D is a problem.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

It isn't illegal. We hold the power to not buy. Absolutely pointless looking for reasons to hate COD.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#6 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

It's great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

@cainetao11 said:

It isn't illegal.

Many scams are perfectly legal.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Yes, you know what they say if isnt broken dont try to fix it.. due to the constant nagging with CoD people ruined CoD, it used to be so fun with MW2 and MW3 but now? the games are pretty boring to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Reusing assets from the same game isn't bad, but reusing assets from PREVIOUS games is extremely lazy.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cainetao11

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

It isn't illegal.

Then you're commenting from a moral high ground. And without full disclosure of your morals or behavior with money, I cant take it seriously.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup
@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

It isn't illegal.

Then you're commenting from a moral high ground. And without full disclosure of your morals or behavior with money, I cant take it seriously.

This is apologist poop.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Of course it is.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I have no problem with it as long as they do something new with the game, but after a while it gets old and you can tell.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Yes it is. When you spend millions upon millions on an engine and just make return on the game why spend millions and millions you don't have to recreate assets you need.

This by far has to be the dumbest thread ever.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

As much as I HATE Capcom for Reusing all of Megaman Legends 3 assets on a Lost Planet 3DS game, I think it would have been a waste to not have used them.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Yes, in moderation it's fine. It means more content so why not?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

Yes it is. When you spend millions upon millions on an engine and just make return on the game why spend millions and millions you don't have to recreate assets you need.

This by far has to be the dumbest thread ever.

it's an uninspiredcupofgarbage thread, did you expect any different?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I think their should be a distinction between expansion packs and a full sequel. Halflife Episode 1-2 take place within the same universe/world as Halflife 2. And, in actuality, Valve did take the time to update models and textures.

The price point (£19.99) made episode 1 fair as well I feel. And with "The Orange Box" featuring Team Fortress 2, Portal as well as Episode 1 and the original Halflife 2, quality was unarguable.

When you have a billiondollar game like Call Of Duty, released as quickly as possible for as expensive as possible, it is a problem I feel. Much in the same way a homeless person walking up to you spitting in your face and fucking off with your wallet to buy some Jack D is a problem.

Ghosts was updated graphically. Textures are better, lighting improved and tessellation was added.

The price for EP 1 isnt all that great. It's a 4 hour campaign. Ghosts has a 6 hour campaign, mp with tons of modes, Extinction and Squad mode.

Orange Box pricing was simply a failed attempt to get consolites into valve games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Ghosts was updated graphically. Textures are better, lighting improved and tessellation was added.

The price for EP 1 isnt all that great. It's a 4 hour campaign. Ghosts has a 6 hour campaign, mp with tons of modes, Extinction and Squad mode.

Orange Box pricing was simply a failed attempt to get consolites into valve games.

It's worth noting as well, aside from being overpriced, recycling content and making incredibly inferior titles to Valve, they also ripped off KOTOR 2. Truly the scourge of the earth.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cainetao11

@uninspiredcup said:
@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

It isn't illegal.

This is apologist poop.

I was in no way being serious. You have made me laugh out loud by typing poop. But in reality, what is there to apologize for? Its not illegal, and a scam is when someone is unaware of something that they pay for not being what it was represented to be. I don't see that happening with HD remakes. Everyone knows these games are made before, and still will buy them again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

I agree. (with my post).

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

It depends on how its done. Majora's Mask reused a ton of assets from OT, and it turned out great.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It's worth noting as well, aside from being overpriced, recycling content and making incredibly inferior titles to Valve, they also ripped off KOTOR 2. Truly the scourge of the earth.

Inferior? That's your opinion. More people play CoD than valve shooters.

Ghosts is overflowing with content. Lot's of bang for your buck compared to most titles.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Cranler said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Inferior? That's your opinion. More people play CoD than valve shooters.

More people have seen Transformers than Ran. This is a poor argument my friend.

That and Valve are the best, Deep down, you know it be true.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

Have any of you modeled a character ? Time is money

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Apparently, half the animations in Skyrim where from Oblivion and people seemed to love Skyrim.