Is PC the best platform for indies?

Edited 2 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Is PC the best platform for indies? (39 votes)

Yes, always was and always will be 85%
No, consoles have gotten better for indies 8%
Not quite. PC and consoles are at a tie 0%
No, smartphones trump them all 8%

Now that indie games are in the rise in a never before seen environment in the video game industry, which platform is the king of indies?

For me, no doubt that it's the PC. Indies will thrive best on open platforms. Smartphones will be too riddled with shovelware where most games are free to play and trying to scam people. If you want good indie games, go for PC.

#1 Posted by freedomfreak (38248 posts) -

Yarp.

You can't even keep up with the indie games that are released on PC.

#2 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Yes and no. The Pc will always have the edge for many reasons, amount, specs, open platform, however you have to wade through an ocean. while console platforms are not as good for indie your more likely to find the quality titles with a lot of the shit weeded out that has already failed or shown to be crap on PC.

#3 Posted by Roler42 (472 posts) -

Yes, it is, as nice as it is for sony and microsoft to finally open up for indies, they ultimately don't offer the "best" platform for indie devs, sure a lot of games have become well known and succesful (super meat boy, journey and dust), but ulitmately, the PC is better simply because of it's open nature

#4 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15810 posts) -

Depends. These are the kinds of indie games I prefer. These kinds of indie games? Definitely yes.

#5 Edited by Snugenz (11457 posts) -

Yes PC is the best platform which includes indies.

#6 Posted by foxhound_fox (86946 posts) -

Considering the support through Kickstarter, there is no comparison to PC when it comes to independently published games.

#7 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

Yes and no. The Pc will always have the edge for many reasons, amount, specs, open platform, however you have to wade through an ocean. while console platforms are not as good for indie your more likely to find the quality titles with a lot of the shit weeded out that has already failed or shown to be crap on PC.

I don't agree. There are many specialized sites that weed through the crap for you, never mind community forums that deal with indie discussions. Finding good games has never been more easy.

#8 Posted by lawlessx (46259 posts) -

Yarp.

You can't even keep up with the indie games that are released on PC.

you really can't. every day you can go online and discover a new game in development.

#9 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@mattykovax said:

I don't agree. There are many specialized sites that weed through the crap for you, never mind community forums that deal with indie discussions. Finding good games has never been more easy.

I still think the PC is the best for it, I was more just trying to point out what advantages I feel there are for consoles. But I am sure you are right, I had to go almost two years without reliable internet because of life stuff so I am more behind on the PC side of it and am just catching up.

#10 Edited by melonfarmerz (1012 posts) -

How could you even make an argument for anything other than PC? Go on GOG and look at the products in the Insomnia sale right now. Consoles can't touch that... The best indie on consoles is fucking Resogun...

#11 Posted by NFJSupreme (5027 posts) -

Yes pc is better for indies than it is for multiplats and it's superior at that too.

#12 Posted by Slashkice (12980 posts) -

The PC is the best as it has by far and away the largest amount of games, obviously because of the nature of the platform. Where I actually prefer to play indie games is the Vita though. I just find the hardware ideal for titles like Hotline Miami and Velocity Ultra.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (6927 posts) -

Sadly, due to piracy, most big budget titles have moved to consoles and beyond MMO's and casual bejewell style games, indie is all the pc has, due to low risk. Even, pc gamers push them to the brink

#14 Posted by Motokid6 (5020 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Your "big budget" titles are the scourge of the entire industry. In a nut shell..

#15 Posted by uninspiredcup (6927 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@uninspiredcup: Your "big budget" titles are the scourge of the entire industry. In a nut shell..

Consoles have both. Due to the fact they actually buy games. Rather than just steal them and come up with random whatever justifiable excuse they can convince themselves with to feel morally justified.

Pc gamers killed pc gaming, a sad fact.

#16 Posted by lundy86_4 (42661 posts) -

Sadly, due to piracy, most big budget titles have moved to consoles and beyond MMO's and casual bejewell style games, indie is all the pc has, due to low risk. Even, pc gamers push them to the brink

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (6927 posts) -

People can cry whatever potty mouth comment they like. But I ask you this, compared to 1990's and now, what AAA single player experience exist on the pc? That specifically, aren't designed to counter piracy?

Primarily speaking, MMO and free2play bypass the problem of piracy almost entirely. Due to the nature of the product.

What have publishers been attempting to push? Exactly that. Age of Empires? Free2play. Ghost Recon? Free2play. Command and Conquer? Free2play.

Now look at consoles. Uncharted 2. Metal Gear Solid 4. Killzone. Second Son.

These experiences, specifically designed with single player in mind are experiences pc gamers no longer have or get, unless it is simply a port of the aforementioned titles as sloppy seconds.

Even age old pc franchise like Total War are moving to free2play with Total War battles.

I really don't need to make much of an argument at all, since I can simply rattle down the list of reality to honestly, fairly easily dismantle pc gamer hypocrisy.

So yea, you have many indie games. But that's specifically a result of AAA games ignoring your platform.

#18 Edited by Cloud_imperium (1829 posts) -

Best for everything , including indies .

Keep in mind that indies =/= low budget games only .

I never understood what "indie" really means . For Example , Valve publishes their games themselves but they create big budget titles . Same goes for CDPR and Flying Wild Hog , they find partners only to ship Box Product . What about Tripwire .? Are these indies too .? Or that only include devs that create low budget games like Minecraft and Hotline Miami etc .?

#19 Edited by gameofthering (9973 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium: I always think of indie devs as those who don't need to answer to others.

#20 Edited by Cloud_imperium (1829 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium: I always think of indie devs as those who don't need to answer to others.

Some people say "PC only have shitty indie games" . So they are counting games like Witcher , Half Life , Killing Floor etc in that as well .? Don't think so . Different people come up with different definitions of "indie" to justify their purchase .

#21 Edited by Motokid6 (5020 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Four whole games.. yea.. wow.

Piracy is something that's always been ( literally ) and always will be. Pc is an open platform. Free for everyone to do what they wish to there own consent. The cons of the open platform are piracy I agree. But that's it. The pros of the open platform are just that.. its OPEN. A platform upon which anything can be done limited only by the depth of your pockets.

Right now console gaming is ad city. The developers cater to the publishers which annihilate the product to make the most money. The advertisement campaigns are what make Sony and MS their money because unfortunately they work. The masses flock to the same apathetic mountain dew, doritoes xp boost bull shit each and every year. So as soon as someone tries something different ( Indies ) they get scolded. And no progress is made. You can't sit there and say gaming on consoles has changed in the past 5-10 years. Because it hasn't.

Having a console is nice for those four games it gets every once in awhile, but that's it. I need my pc for everything else. Because with the manner in which I conduct this hobby cannot be done on consoles. And it is as simple as that. Consoles are toys and that's how it's always going to be. Screw piracy.. let it be it's like arguing why the wind blows.

#22 Posted by NoodleFighter (6942 posts) -

People can cry whatever potty mouth comment they like. But I ask you this, compared to 1990's and now, what AAA single player experience exist on the pc? That specifically, aren't designed to counter pricy?

Primarily speaking, MMO and free2play bypass the problem of piracy almost entirely. Due to the nature of the product.

What have publishers been attempting to push? Exactly that. Age of Empires? Free2play. Ghost Recon? Free2play. Command and Conquer? Free2play.

These experiences, specifically designed with single player in mind are experiences pc gamers no longer have or get, unless it is simply a port of the aforementioned titles as sloppy seconds.

Even age old pc franchise like Total War are moving to free2play with Total War battles.

I really don't need to make much of an argument at all, since I can simply rattle down the list of reality to honestly, fairly easily dismantle pc gamer hypocrisy.

So yea, you have many indie games. But that's specifically a result of AAA games ignoring your platform.

And how many AAA one console only exclusives are there that are not funded/published by Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony?

#23 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3768 posts) -

yes

#24 Posted by Wasdie (49345 posts) -

Yes. This isn't even up for debate. For every indie title that any console gets, there are literally dozens for the PC. Most are shit, but from that volume comes more quality titles than ever hit any combination of consoles.

We're getting more of the bigger-budgeted and less niche indie titles on the PS4/Xbox One through self publishing though. That's good for the devs as it gets them more money and allows them to build better games yet still take risks big publishers don't like funding.

#25 Posted by airshocker (28303 posts) -

uninspired and SNIPER must be the same person. Same broken, five year old english. The same stupidity all-around.

#26 Posted by LadyBlue (3713 posts) -

Most would say yes. They also take the biggest risks in making unique games.

#27 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

Is water wet?

#28 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13723 posts) -

PS Vita is.

Number one indie handheld.

#29 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3785 posts) -

Consoles may have gotten better with indies. But I think the PC will always be home to them. Mainly because of the platforms true open nature.

#30 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1380 posts) -

A lot of the big "indies" on PC are pc developers that are just self-publishing - as opposed to the "filler" casual games that I usually think of when I think of indies. I don't think you'll get that much on consoles, since the racing/fighting/cutscene game genres have been successful with big publishers.

#31 Edited by WallofTruth (1087 posts) -

Of course PC wins in indies. Consoles don't even have DayZ, Rust, GMod and Starbound, which are pretty much the best indies around right now.

#32 Edited by WallofTruth (1087 posts) -

1. So you're totally ignoring Total War Rome II?

2. You don't have an argument at all.

3. How are AAA games ignoring PC when PC has more than consoles of them?

#33 Edited by Vaasman (11139 posts) -

Yes and it isn't even remotely close. That's simply how it is with an open platform vs closed. Just in May, we've already had over 70 games released on Steam alone, most of them being new or in-production indie titles. Consoles can't even touch that.

#34 Edited by santoron (7452 posts) -

For all types of indie games? Mobile trumps the PC for independent development, IMHO. May not be home to some of my indie favorites, but the output is insane. Someone above mentioned Steam has had 70 games so far this month. Try and guess how many iOS has had in those same two weeks...

Now, after mobile? I'd assume PC personally, but it's worth noting that the guys behind Rogue Legacy have a different opinion, and actually think mobile has become adverse to indie development, and that PC is heading rapidly in the same direction. They opine that... actually it's a quick read, I'll let them explain it to you. I gotta admit, their viewpoint has merit.

#35 Edited by BPoole96 (22762 posts) -

PC is the best platform, period

#36 Posted by nethernova (4052 posts) -

The Vita is. No contest. The perfect fit for games like Hotline Miami. It's just too ugly for a bigger screen and controls on PC are atrocious.

#37 Edited by SolidTy (41526 posts) -

I saw this thread two days ago and ignored it as I thought the answer was too obvious and the thread was destined to die in minutes with no replies.

Somehow the topic keeps getting bumped so I'll officially say what needs to be said and kill the thread.

---

Yes, consoles are the best spot for indies and PC is trying to copy CONSOLES INDIE GAMES!!!

Go away PC, shoo! You can't have our console indies! Indies were born on console a few months back and belong on console 4ever. Stupid PC is getting greedy for our indies. Maybe in 5 years we will let you borrow a few of our indies, but everybody knows consoles created indies. In fact, All three manufacturers employ Native Americans, as I go to a local gamestore and talk with representatives all the time. I'm in the kno.

#38 Posted by Heil68 (42686 posts) -

Sure, it's beneficial for them to not have to give a cut to MS, SONY or Nintendo,although Steam does take some % of sales.

#39 Edited by uninspiredcup (6927 posts) -

@BPoole96 said:

PC is the best platform, period

This is true, sadly, the open nature is a double edged sword. Much like how the closed nature of consoles is a double edged sword. On pc, users steal the shit out of games. On consoles, Publishers scam the shit out people. Both have wort's.

#40 Edited by Motokid6 (5020 posts) -
#41 Posted by the_bi99man (11028 posts) -

Lol. Make up your mind about what kind of dumbass fanboy you want to be. As it is, you're just a laughing stock to everyone.

#42 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

People can cry whatever potty mouth comment they like. But I ask you this, compared to 1990's and now, what AAA single player experience exist on the pc? That specifically, aren't designed to counter piracy?

Facts say otherwise. Go to the SW Magazine games list. You're full of shit.

Also, multiplats are almost all better on PC this gen and last gen, lol "sloppy seconds". Liar.