Is PC the best platform for indies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By lordlors

Poll Is PC the best platform for indies? (39 votes)

Yes, always was and always will be 85%
No, consoles have gotten better for indies 8%
Not quite. PC and consoles are at a tie 0%
No, smartphones trump them all 8%

Now that indie games are in the rise in a never before seen environment in the video game industry, which platform is the king of indies?

For me, no doubt that it's the PC. Indies will thrive best on open platforms. Smartphones will be too riddled with shovelware where most games are free to play and trying to scam people. If you want good indie games, go for PC.

• 
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Yarp.

You can't even keep up with the indie games that are released on PC.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2  Edited By mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Yes and no. The Pc will always have the edge for many reasons, amount, specs, open platform, however you have to wade through an ocean. while console platforms are not as good for indie your more likely to find the quality titles with a lot of the shit weeded out that has already failed or shown to be crap on PC.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Yes, it is, as nice as it is for sony and microsoft to finally open up for indies, they ultimately don't offer the "best" platform for indie devs, sure a lot of games have become well known and succesful (super meat boy, journey and dust), but ulitmately, the PC is better simply because of it's open nature

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Depends. These are the kinds of indie games I prefer. These kinds of indie games? Definitely yes.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Yes PC is the best platform which includes indies.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Considering the support through Kickstarter, there is no comparison to PC when it comes to independently published games.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@mattykovax said:

Yes and no. The Pc will always have the edge for many reasons, amount, specs, open platform, however you have to wade through an ocean. while console platforms are not as good for indie your more likely to find the quality titles with a lot of the shit weeded out that has already failed or shown to be crap on PC.

I don't agree. There are many specialized sites that weed through the crap for you, never mind community forums that deal with indie discussions. Finding good games has never been more easy.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Yarp.

You can't even keep up with the indie games that are released on PC.

you really can't. every day you can go online and discover a new game in development.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9  Edited By mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@mattykovax said:

I don't agree. There are many specialized sites that weed through the crap for you, never mind community forums that deal with indie discussions. Finding good games has never been more easy.

I still think the PC is the best for it, I was more just trying to point out what advantages I feel there are for consoles. But I am sure you are right, I had to go almost two years without reliable internet because of life stuff so I am more behind on the PC side of it and am just catching up.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

How could you even make an argument for anything other than PC? Go on GOG and look at the products in the Insomnia sale right now. Consoles can't touch that... The best indie on consoles is fucking Resogun...

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Yes pc is better for indies than it is for multiplats and it's superior at that too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Sadly, due to piracy, most big budget titles have moved to consoles and beyond MMO's and casual bejewell style games, indie is all the pc has, due to low risk. Even, pc gamers push them to the brink

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@Motokid6 said:

@uninspiredcup: Your "big budget" titles are the scourge of the entire industry. In a nut shell..

Consoles have both. Due to the fact they actually buy games. Rather than just steal them and come up with random whatever justifiable excuse they can convince themselves with to feel morally justified.

Pc gamers killed pc gaming, a sad fact.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly, due to piracy, most big budget titles have moved to consoles and beyond MMO's and casual bejewell style games, indie is all the pc has, due to low risk. Even, pc gamers push them to the brink

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup

People can cry whatever potty mouth comment they like. But I ask you this, compared to 1990's and now, what AAA single player experience exist on the pc? That specifically, aren't designed to counter piracy?

Primarily speaking, MMO and free2play bypass the problem of piracy almost entirely. Due to the nature of the product.

What have publishers been attempting to push? Exactly that. Age of Empires? Free2play. Ghost Recon? Free2play. Command and Conquer? Free2play.

Now look at consoles. Uncharted 2. Metal Gear Solid 4. Killzone. Second Son.

These experiences, specifically designed with single player in mind are experiences pc gamers no longer have or get, unless it is simply a port of the aforementioned titles as sloppy seconds.

Even age old pc franchise like Total War are moving to free2play with Total War battles.

I really don't need to make much of an argument at all, since I can simply rattle down the list of reality to honestly, fairly easily dismantle pc gamer hypocrisy.

So yea, you have many indie games. But that's specifically a result of AAA games ignoring your platform.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Best for everything , including indies .

Keep in mind that indies =/= low budget games only .

I never understood what "indie" really means . For Example , Valve publishes their games themselves but they create big budget titles . Same goes for CDPR and Flying Wild Hog , they find partners only to ship Box Product . What about Tripwire .? Are these indies too .? Or that only include devs that create low budget games like Minecraft and Hotline Miami etc .?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: I always think of indie devs as those who don't need to answer to others.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@gameofthering said:

@Cloud_imperium: I always think of indie devs as those who don't need to answer to others.

Some people say "PC only have shitty indie games" . So they are counting games like Witcher , Half Life , Killing Floor etc in that as well .? Don't think so . Different people come up with different definitions of "indie" to justify their purchase .

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

People can cry whatever potty mouth comment they like. But I ask you this, compared to 1990's and now, what AAA single player experience exist on the pc? That specifically, aren't designed to counter pricy?

Primarily speaking, MMO and free2play bypass the problem of piracy almost entirely. Due to the nature of the product.

What have publishers been attempting to push? Exactly that. Age of Empires? Free2play. Ghost Recon? Free2play. Command and Conquer? Free2play.

These experiences, specifically designed with single player in mind are experiences pc gamers no longer have or get, unless it is simply a port of the aforementioned titles as sloppy seconds.

Even age old pc franchise like Total War are moving to free2play with Total War battles.

I really don't need to make much of an argument at all, since I can simply rattle down the list of reality to honestly, fairly easily dismantle pc gamer hypocrisy.

So yea, you have many indie games. But that's specifically a result of AAA games ignoring your platform.

And how many AAA one console only exclusives are there that are not funded/published by Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

yes

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yes. This isn't even up for debate. For every indie title that any console gets, there are literally dozens for the PC. Most are shit, but from that volume comes more quality titles than ever hit any combination of consoles.

We're getting more of the bigger-budgeted and less niche indie titles on the PS4/Xbox One through self publishing though. That's good for the devs as it gets them more money and allows them to build better games yet still take risks big publishers don't like funding.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

uninspired and SNIPER must be the same person. Same broken, five year old english. The same stupidity all-around.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Most would say yes. They also take the biggest risks in making unique games.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Is water wet?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

PS Vita is.

Number one indie handheld.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Consoles may have gotten better with indies. But I think the PC will always be home to them. Mainly because of the platforms true open nature.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#30 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

A lot of the big "indies" on PC are pc developers that are just self-publishing - as opposed to the "filler" casual games that I usually think of when I think of indies. I don't think you'll get that much on consoles, since the racing/fighting/cutscene game genres have been successful with big publishers.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Yes and it isn't even remotely close. That's simply how it is with an open platform vs closed. Just in May, we've already had over 70 games released on Steam alone, most of them being new or in-production indie titles. Consoles can't even touch that.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

For all types of indie games? Mobile trumps the PC for independent development, IMHO. May not be home to some of my indie favorites, but the output is insane. Someone above mentioned Steam has had 70 games so far this month. Try and guess how many iOS has had in those same two weeks...

Now, after mobile? I'd assume PC personally, but it's worth noting that the guys behind Rogue Legacy have a different opinion, and actually think mobile has become adverse to indie development, and that PC is heading rapidly in the same direction. They opine that... actually it's a quick read, I'll let them explain it to you. I gotta admit, their viewpoint has merit.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

PC is the best platform, period

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

The Vita is. No contest. The perfect fit for games like Hotline Miami. It's just too ugly for a bigger screen and controls on PC are atrocious.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I saw this thread two days ago and ignored it as I thought the answer was too obvious and the thread was destined to die in minutes with no replies.

Somehow the topic keeps getting bumped so I'll officially say what needs to be said and kill the thread.

---

Yes, consoles are the best spot for indies and PC is trying to copy CONSOLES INDIE GAMES!!!

Go away PC, shoo! You can't have our console indies! Indies were born on console a few months back and belong on console 4ever. Stupid PC is getting greedy for our indies. Maybe in 5 years we will let you borrow a few of our indies, but everybody knows consoles created indies. In fact, All three manufacturers employ Native Americans, as I go to a local gamestore and talk with representatives all the time. I'm in the kno.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Sure, it's beneficial for them to not have to give a cut to MS, SONY or Nintendo,although Steam does take some % of sales.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BPoole96 said:

PC is the best platform, period

This is true, sadly, the open nature is a double edged sword. Much like how the closed nature of consoles is a double edged sword. On pc, users steal the shit out of games. On consoles, Publishers scam the shit out people. Both have wort's.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Lol. Make up your mind about what kind of dumbass fanboy you want to be. As it is, you're just a laughing stock to everyone.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

People can cry whatever potty mouth comment they like. But I ask you this, compared to 1990's and now, what AAA single player experience exist on the pc? That specifically, aren't designed to counter piracy?

Facts say otherwise. Go to the SW Magazine games list. You're full of shit.

Also, multiplats are almost all better on PC this gen and last gen, lol "sloppy seconds". Liar.