Is PC Online gaming fair?

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts

One of the reasons I quit PC gaming as my main gaming platform and went console is because it just wasn't fair.

1) There were more cheaters than on Live (it may be better now but it was a lot of work to keep the cheats away)
2) And here's where it's unfair even amongst non-cheating friends.  I bought a millions little gizmos to get an edge in a game.  So because I can afford a higher resolution mouse I would do better.  Or if I bought a keyboard with re-arrangable keys, or a million other add-ons to get an edge to win.  Sure I could win, but it didn't feel like I was accomplishing much.  The first time I upgraded to a gaming mouse I realized PC gaming is unfair as I noticed I had many fewer loses and many more wins. 

If that leaves you satisfied then fine, but for me I like to win on an even playing field.  And when I'm on live with my 360 I confident my friends are playing with the same equipment I am.

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Punk Buster.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Its not ubiquitous that you need to buy a better Keyboard and mouse....heck I just recently got a razorback, and I'm a competitive gamer. You should see my keyboard. Almost all the letters are worn down and you can't read them, and theres a HUGE hole in my spacebar. Anti-cheat programs have also deminished the ammount of hackers lately. More than deminished, patty sacked. In the words of the Shadowrun developers, "Placing the blame on your controls is juvenile." They actually said that!
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

I dont think you have ever played a single PC game in your life.........every keyboard has rearengable keys.....

and right their are no cheaters on XBL.....lol... 

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts
Stop playing on public servers, noob.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
TC, you WANT PC gaming to be unfair, just so you can say your console is better.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts

Stop playing on public servers, noob.baddog121390

He's used to Xbox Live.  

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

Yet another retarded pc bashing thread from you. Your other thread, controller>mouse and keyboard was stupid.

why not you find a good server and stick with it. oh and there is also punkbuster

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mikasa

TC, you WANT PC gaming to be unfair, just so you can say your console is better. organic_machine

No, I'm saying that's why I quit PC gaming as my main source of gaming.  Geesh can't someone have an opinion?

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mikasa

Stop playing on public servers, noob.baddog121390

You mean like blizzard's battleNET?  Without that back in the day finding a good starcraft game was impossible.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What games were you playing?
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]TC, you WANT PC gaming to be unfair, just so you can say your console is better. mikasa

No, I'm saying that's why I quit PC gaming as my main source of gaming. Geesh can't someone have an opinion?

Well it is your opinion and not a fact. At least we cleared that up.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]TC, you WANT PC gaming to be unfair, just so you can say your console is better. mikasa

No, I'm saying that's why I quit PC gaming as my main source of gaming.  Geesh can't someone have an opinion?

"Geesh," can't you take MY oppinion? Hypocrite much? Also, I doubt you were a PC gamer. You are just pretending to be. Or you had a crap celeron and called yourself a gamer :lol:

MOHaashkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MOHaashkilla
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts
PC online gaming is not fair...Wall hacks, aimbots, going under maps for easy kills.....They have ZERO skills .
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vandalvideo
PC online gaming is not fair...Wall hacks, aimbots, going under maps for easy kills.....They have ZERO skills .MOHaashkilla
Except that those have been iraticated largely thanks to anti-cheat programs now. Oh andI only need to say one word, SOCOM.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cobrax75
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

I dont think you have ever played a single PC game in your life.........every keyboard has rearengable keys.....

mikasa

I guess you haven't used a lot of keyboards. Many of them break if you try to yank them off. And even then you'd need to reprogram what the keypress did. Are you 12 or something?

roflamo, why would you ever want to phisiclly switch your keys...what could possibly be the use of that....

why cant you change the controls to you liking in-game?

seriously, when was the last time you even played a PC game. 

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]TC, you WANT PC gaming to be unfair, just so you can say your console is better. organic_machine

Sheesh, can't you take MY oppinion? Hypocrite much? Also, I doubt you were a PC gamer. You are just pretending to be. Or you had a crap celeron and called yourself a gamer :lol:

Actually I had a pentium pro back in the day.  Which btw: was better than a Pentium 2 but the cache on the die was too expensive for the time so intel scrapped it.

And now I have an AMD64 with 64bit vista and am getting a core2duo w/4gb RAM when my order comes in.  But I'll still prefer the console because I don't want to have to deal with getting the latest mouse just to remain competitive.  I'll play some games but I'm too old to get into gaming that much anymore.

hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts

There is just as much of a hardware difference for consoles then it is for PC.

Some live users have better connections, better controllers, and smaller screens (Yes, in most cases you play much better on a smaller screen).

There is always an element of who has the better equipment for any game.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]

cobrax75

I guess you haven't used a lot of keyboards. Many of them break if you try to yank them off. And even then you'd need to reprogram what the keypress did. Are you 12 or something?

roflamo, why would you ever want to phisiclly switch your keys...what could possibly be the use of that....

Actually the layout of the wasd movements sucks for me.  I'd prefer a keyboard that I could move the arrow keys (or at least buy one that had them in a better position.  Also some like an inverted T other's like a plus for the arrow keys.  There are other reasons.  Look into it...the keyboards exist. 

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="cobrax75"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]

mikasa

Actually the layout of the wasd movements sucks for me.  I'd prefer a keyboard that I could move the arrow keys (or at least buy one that had them in a better position.  Also some like an inverted T other's like a plus for the arrow keys.  There are other reasons.  Look into it...the keyboards exist. 

Numped arrow keys or regular arrow keys, because regular arrow keys are just like WASD. If yu're talking about numpad, then become left handed.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mikasa

Some live users have better connections, better controllers, and smaller screens (Yes, in most cases you play much better on a smaller screen).

hamumu

I completely agree about the smaller screen (assuming you're sitting close to it).  I game on a 110" screen and gaming got a lot harder compared to my 57" tv.  Especially games like burnout as the objects are flying at you and your eyes have to scan around the entire picture.  I've mentioned this to others and they think I'm silly or just making up excuses.  The good thing is when I play on a smaller screen I'm crazy good now.

bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 bloodychimp
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]TC, you WANT PC gaming to be unfair, just so you can say your console is better. organic_machine

No, I'm saying that's why I quit PC gaming as my main source of gaming. Geesh can't someone have an opinion?

"Geesh," can't you take MY oppinion? Hypocrite much? Also, I doubt you were a PC gamer. You are just pretending to be. Or you had a crap celeron and called yourself a gamer :lol:

You can be a gamer with crappy hardware. I played on an 866 MHz P3 until like 2005 before I got a new computer. 

M-E-S-S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 M-E-S-S
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
[QUOTE="hamumu"]

mikasa

I completely agree about the smaller screen (assuming you're sitting close to it).  I game on a 110" screen and gaming got a lot harder compared to my 57" tv.  Especially games like burnout as the objects are flying at you and your eyes have to scan around the entire picture.  I've mentioned this to others and they think I'm silly or just making up excuses.  The good thing is when I play on a smaller screen I'm crazy good now.

uh huh, 110" tv?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="hamumu"]

M-E-S-S

uh huh, 110" tv?

He lives in an Ampitheatre.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="hamumu"]

M-E-S-S

uh huh, 110" tv?

No I said 110" screen. I have a projector.

M-E-S-S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 M-E-S-S
[QUOTE="M-E-S-S"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="hamumu"]

Vandalvideo

uh huh, 110" tv?

:lol:

Peter_Darkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Peter_Darkstar
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts

Higher resolution mouse?

While a more expensive mouse might provide a slight boost, it by no means makes you better or an unfair advantage. As long as you're not using a ball mouse the difference between top end mice and a standare laser mouse is far from game breaking. Take me for example, I have a  G11 keyboard and G5 mouse and still get my arse wooped by my friends using budget PCs. Also, judging by the fact that you refer to mouse sensitivity by resolutions, I doubt you've ever even owned a gaming mouse let alone a gaming PC. 

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vandalvideo
I guess the hermits are all 12 - 15 years old and don't realize things such as projectors exist and many people have screens over 120"mikasa
Touchy touchy. You could have easily avoided that by saying "I have a projector." Usually when I ask someone, "How big is their TV?" They respond with, "Its a ??" screen!".
Shadow-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shadow-Eagle
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts
Honestly, if you think Xbox 360 is so much better than PCs, quit making threads about it and go play...
M-E-S-S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 M-E-S-S

Higher resolution mouse?

While a more expensive mouse might provide a slight boost, it by no means makes you better or an unfair advantage. As long as you're not using a ball mouse the difference between top end mice and a standare laser mouse is far from game breaking. Take me for example, I have a  G11 keyboard and G5 mouse and still get my arse wooped by my friends using budget PCs. Also, judging by the fact that you refer to mouse sensitivity by resolutions, I doubt you've ever even owned a gaming mouse let alone a gaming PC. 

Peter_Darkstar

expensive keyboards and mouses don't matter, I have the keyboard that came with my Dell and a roller mouse from my old computer and the performance will be the same as gaming mouses.  Gaming mouses however are more comfortable to use (I guess, I never owned one myself).  That's a boost I guess. 

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mikasa
[QUOTE="Peter_Darkstar"]

Higher resolution mouse?

M-E-S-S

keyboards and mouses don't matter, I have the keyboard that came with my Dell and a roller mousel from my old computer and the performance will be the same as gaming mouses.  Gaming mouses however are more comfortable to use (I guess, I never owned one myself).

Do a little research before posting. Some peeps use a wireless usb mouse.  PS/2 mice (used to be prefered because of the higher poling rate).  Also laser with a high dpi is much better than a roller ball mouse. 

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mikasa

[QUOTE="mikasa"]I guess the hermits are all 12 - 15 years old and don't realize things such as projectors exist and many people have screens over 120"Vandalvideo
Touchy touchy. You could have easily avoided that by saying "I have a projector." Usually when I ask someone, "How big is their TV?" They respond with, "Its a ??" screen!".

But I did.  In fact when I first mentioned it I said screen...and he changed it to TV.  I then corrected him. 

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

[QUOTE="mikasa"]I guess the hermits are all 12 - 15 years old and don't realize things such as projectors exist and many people have screens over 120"Vandalvideo

Going to 120" is a bit ridiculous... at that size the brightness falls to painfully low levels on most home projectors... I'd rather use something like an optoma hd70 and throw a 65" screen. To each their own, I suppose.

Small, high-resolution screens are superior for FPS gaming though, sitting a foot away from a 20" pc monitor gives better results than playing on a big screen, at least in my experience.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mikasa

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="mikasa"]I guess the hermits are all 12 - 15 years old and don't realize things such as projectors exist and many people have screens over 120"subrosian

Going to 120" is a bit ridiculous... at that size the brightness falls to painfully low levels on most home projectors... I'd rather use something like an optoma hd70 and throw a 65" screen. To each their own, I suppose.

Small, high-resolution screens are superior for FPS gaming though, sitting a foot away from a 20" pc monitor gives better results than playing on a big screen, at least in my experience.

Absolutely.  BTW: My mits hc3000 does great at 110".  Going to 120" does drown out most affordable projectors, but you can also go with a higher gain screen which right now ultra high gain screens are big hit as it gives it that "glossly/glassy TV look"  Not me though I went with a near 1.0 gain screen.

Yes for winning it's not the best, but for just enjoying a game it's the best.  Playing condemned on 110" after dark alone is the only way to play it for me.  Also wii games are much more immersive on the big screen.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

One of the reasons I quit PC gaming as my main gaming platform and went console is because it just wasn't fair.

1) There were more cheaters than on Live (it may be better now but it was a lot of work to keep the cheats away)
2) And here's where it's unfair even amongst non-cheating friends.  I bought a millions little gizmos to get an edge in a game.  So because I can afford a higher resolution mouse I would do better.  Or if I bought a keyboard with re-arrangable keys, or a million other add-ons to get an edge to win.  Sure I could win, but it didn't feel like I was accomplishing much.  The first time I upgraded to a gaming mouse I realized PC gaming is unfair as I noticed I had many fewer loses and many more wins. 

If that leaves you satisfied then fine, but for me I like to win on an even playing field.  And when I'm on live with my 360 I confident my friends are playing with the same equipment I am.

mikasa

In many ways PC gamign is not fair and there is nothing to stop hackers and cheaters. Punkbuster is basically just a waste of time. I have encountered cheatign in basically every PC game i played. Even battlefield 2 and 2142.

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"]

Deihmos

In many ways PC gamign is not fair and there is nothing to stop hackers and cheaters. Punkbuster is basically just a waste of time. I have encountered cheatign in basically every PC game i played. Even battlefield 2 and 2142.

Here come the usual suspects to tell you that you're wrong. And you were just a crapy player if you lost and were using punkbuster.

But my point is beyond just cheats.  The equipment you use (especially the mouse) makes a huge difference in your ability.

M-E-S-S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 M-E-S-S
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

mikasa

Here come the usual suspects to tell you that you're wrong. And you were just a crapy player if you lost and were using punkbuster.

But my point is beyond just cheats.  The equipment you use (especially the mouse) makes a huge difference in your ability.

I don't think equipment makes you better, there are noobs that use high tech gaming keyboards and mouses and still get owned in online matches. 

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mikasa
[QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

M-E-S-S

I don't think equipment makes you better, there are noobs that use high tech gaming keyboards and mouses and still get owned in online matches. 

No one ever said a new mouse will make a noob a pro.  But two fairly equal players using different equipment can make a world of difference.  So what are you proving by using the best equipment? How do you know you didn't beat someone that would have beat you with the same equipment, but they can only have a wireless mouse or roller ball mouse.

And you'll know what I'm talking about when you upgrade to real gaming mouse (not just one that says it's a gaming mouse for comfort).  You'll notice your wins increase overnight.  How can that be if equipment doesn't make a big difference?

M-E-S-S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 M-E-S-S
[QUOTE="M-E-S-S"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="mikasa"]

mikasa

No one ever said a new mouse will make a noob a pro.  But two fairly equal players using different equipment can make a world of difference.  So what are you proving by using the best equipment? How do you know you didn't beat someone that would have beat you with the same equipment, but they can only have a wireless mouse or roller ball mouse.

And you'll know what I'm talking about when you upgrade to real gaming mouse (not just one that says it's a gaming mouse for comfort).  You'll notice your wins increase overnight.  How can that be if equipment doesn't make a big difference?

do they really increase your wins overnight? Or is that just your guess?

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mikasa

do they really increase your wins overnight? Or is that just your guess?M-E-S-S

Read my first post bullet 2.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cobrax75
the only thing that will give you any kind of noticable advantage in online gaming is lower ping....which is something that still exists in console games.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mikasa

the only thing that will give you any kind of noticable advantage in online gaming is lower ping....which is something that still exists in console games.cobrax75

Ping will definitely matter the most, but other factors matter as well.  Like graphic display refresh rate and mouse sampling rate among others.

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 l_The_DetoX_l
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts
[QUOTE="M-E-S-S"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="M-E-S-S"][QUOTE="mikasa"][QUOTE="hamumu"]

mikasa

I completely agree about the smaller screen (assuming you're sitting close to it). I game on a 110" screen and gaming got a lot harder compared to my 57" tv. Especially games like burnout as the objects are flying at you and your eyes have to scan around the entire picture. I've mentioned this to others and they think I'm silly or just making up excuses. The good thing is when I play on a smaller screen I'm crazy good now.

uh huh, 110" tv?

:lol:

I guess the hermits are all 12 - 15 years old and don't realize things such as projectors exist and many people have screens over 120"

Many? 

M-E-S-S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 M-E-S-S

[QUOTE="M-E-S-S"]do they really increase your wins overnight? Or is that just your guess?mikasa

Read my first post bullet 2.

"I completely agree about the smaller screen (assuming you're sitting close to it).  I game on a 110" screen and gaming got a lot harder compared to my 57" tv.  Especially games like burnout as the objects are flying at you and your eyes have to scan around the entire picture.  I've mentioned this to others and they think I'm silly or just making up excuses.  The good thing is when I play on a smaller screen I'm crazy good now."

What does a TV or projector screen have to do with a mouse?

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mikasa

What does a TV or projector screen have to do with a mouse?M-E-S-S

Nothing why?

M-E-S-S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 M-E-S-S

[QUOTE="M-E-S-S"]What does a TV or projector screen have to do with a mouse?mikasa

Nothing why?

so what does that post have to do with anything?