Is "PC Gaming" a household name or niche?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Whenever you hear anyone in the media or entertainment refer to gaming they refer to Nintendos or playstations or xboxes when talking about gaming, nobody ever really refers to PC unless to shit on it. So I'm wondering if PC gaming has become more niche and not household anymore.

Doom was PCs biggest game and that was more than 20 years ago.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

PC gaming is a different beast entirely. PC gaming is not something that the 30-50 million casuals who bought PS3/360 will look into -- whether it be because their view of a computer is their smartphone or their tablet or because the idea of computers is something they either don't think of or it's something they don't want to think of.

PC gaming is for the hardcore crowd nor for the average Call of Duty player.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Oh no. Another thread that is theoretically saying that PC gaming is dead.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Whenever you hear anyone in the media or entertainment refer to gaming they refer to Nintendos or playstations or xboxes when talking about gaming, nobody ever really refers to PC unless to shit on it. So I'm wondering if PC gaming has become more niche and not household anymore.

Do you realise that media and entertainment refer gaming to carter casual gamers.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Should i laugh now or later ?!!! From that last statement you made ... you clearly trolling !! 1/10 for your try

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@system-reboot said:

Do you realise that media and entertainment refer gaming to carter casual gamers.

"Do you realize that media and entertainment refer gaming to cater to the casual gamers"

^^^ Is that what you were trying to say? ^^^

1. Who are "media and entertainment"?
  2. Are you trying to say "media and entertainment" think of gaming as a group of people who only game part-time?
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Doom is the PC's biggest game?, whats the consoles biggest game, Pong?

Stop making threads.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@R3FURBISHED said:

@system-reboot said:

"Do you realize that media and entertainment refer gaming to cater to the casual gamers"

2. Are you trying to say "media and entertainment" think of gaming as a group of people who only game part-time?

1. VGA, Spike TV, IGN

2. No but group of people who only play casual games COD, Assassins Creed, Uncharted. Simple games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

PC is a niche in some parts of the world and big in other parts.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Oh no. Another thread that is theoretically saying that PC gaming is dead.

Oh no. Another thread meant to attack PC with barely any thought put into the argument.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R3FURBISHED

@system-reboot said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

1. VGA, Spike TV, IGN

2. No but group of people who only play COD, Assassins Creed, Uncharted. Simple games.

• Doesn't Spike TV host the Video Game Awards (VGA's)?
  • What is the difference between one gaming site to another (GameSpot, IGN, Eurogamer, Giantbomb)?
  • What is your definition of a "simple game"? Uncharted and Assassin's Creed are VERY far from what I would call "simple".
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

0/10 your trolling needs more work put into it.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AzatiS
@Vaasman said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

0/10 your trolling needs more work put into it.

Damn , i gave him 1/10 !! 0/10 sounds better !

I hope he is trolling though ( which i think is the case ) because if not .... he is one of the most clueless guys around and we can give him 10/10 for stupidity or something

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It feels like a Niche.

My Friends and I talk about games all the time. But They talk about playing on a PS4 or Xbox 360 and I'm like Yeah I play those games too on Steam and they look at me all like "WTF is a Steam?"

Eventually one of them got a Steam Account after telling them all the cool deals it occasionally has, but he hasn't logged on it in forever.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Well PC is for casuals, the biggest share of PC gaming is owned by moba crap and other fb, social,...BS crap played by casuals.

Of course there are some exceptions, like south korea, where Starcraft dominates everything.

PC has been boring for years, thank god for indies, otherwise it would be dead.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@Suppaman100 said:

Well PC is for casuals, the biggest share of PC gaming is owned by moba crap and other fb, social,...BS crap played by casuals.

Of course there are some exceptions, like south korea, where Starcraft dominates everything.

so you call facebook users who play farmville a PC gamers? lol

and no PC gaming is alive than ever been. EVERY third party game is on PC. plus theres are tons of PC exclusive that is not on console.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AzatiS
@LegatoSkyheart said:

It feels like a Niche.

My Friends and I talk about games all the time. But They talk about playing on a PS4 or Xbox 360 and I'm like Yeah I play those games too on Steam and they look at me all like "WTF is a Steam?"

Eventually one of them got a Steam Account after telling them all the cool deals it occasionally has, but he hasn't logged on it in forever.

Well here is the opposite.

All my friends are PC gamers , we playing almost every single day games like Counter Strike , Diablo 3 , League of Legends and we used to play many other online multiplayer games like WoW , Diablo 2 and so many others.

Most of them got consoles as well but after they finish like an exclusive or great console game that takes how long? 1-2-3-5 days? .... they are back on PC playing all together.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AzatiS
@system-reboot said:

@Suppaman100 said:

so you call facebook users who play farmville a PC gamers? lol

and no PC gaming is alive than ever been. EVERY third party game is on PC. plus theres are tons of PC exclusive that is not on console.

Whatever you playing on a PC = PC gaming. Even chess. If thats what you like to play that is. Anyways.

I agree with you , PC gaming is so strong atm is getting ridiculous. One of the latest worldwide phenomenons is LoL. Theres no console game to even go near it as of how many gamers playing constantly each day , each month , each year. Not even close even if we combine the best exclusives of each console ..all together. Now if we add to league of legends more PC games like WoW for example .... Its not even funny to even compare PC gaming with console gaming ....Not even close.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There's plenty of old-school PC gamers around such as flight simmers. But, they regard their hobby as "serious" stuff and not gaming. Consoles are something they buy for their kids and who they distance their hobby from.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't mind PC gaming being special. We still get the most and best games with the best customization, performance, customer support, prices and the most genres. It's like a paradise compared to the barren wastelands of console gaming, with Angels rubbing our backs as we frag people. In turn we buy so many games that PC gaming remains a very viable platform even for triple A development, and are so passionate that retro (style) gaming is kept alive on PC alone through crowd-funding or emulation.

We have the guilds, we have the conversations with developers, the online volunteers that administrate our servers, we have the modding teams and the mapmakers. We are a bit of a master race.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

There's no marketing for PC at all. That's why casuals don't know any better.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

PC gaming can be both.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

PC is not mentioned as much because most games are not aimed at PC because publishers know there would be less people to buy the games. In addition to that publisher do not like piracy, so will usually release their games weeks or months later to get the most sales on console so do not promote the Pc version at all.

PC is still a big market, you have some games they sell massively well, for example Diablo and The Sims series. Those games rival console games sales quite well. I can only assume people can't be bothered with PC because of compatibility issues and developers thinking it's OK to release late poor optimised ports then blame everyone's hardware when it does not work properly, at least with consoles you always know where you stand.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

PC gaming is a different beast entirely. PC gaming is not something that the 30-50 million casuals who bought PS3/360 will look into -- whether it be because their view of a computer is their smartphone or their tablet or because the idea of computers is something they either don't think of or it's something they don't want to think of.

LOL I just love when people try to hard core gamers....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

What drives PC gaming now?

1. Casual Candy Crush style games

2. MMO's

3. multiplayer focused free2play

But why?

A reaction to piracy. AAA single player games with a blockbuster budget can only be found on consoles

But they have RTS games like Starcraft II, that's a blockbuster?

Primarily multiplayer focused and wouldn't work well on consoles.

So, you're saying (and your right) that hardcore pc gamers left are a small sect of angry people making wild claims to avoid the truth?

Yes.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well you hear about social media games, which is a part of PC gaming. And you hear about that more often than other forms of gaming.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

-4/10

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

LOL I just love when people try to hard core gamers....

Says the casual peasant.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Yawn...

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Sad attempt at trolling followed by a TC abandon of thread. Locked. Don't do it again.