Is Nintendo afraid of competitive multiplayer?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Maybe a bit strange thread, still, I think the subject is a interesting one.

With the Wii, they created a platform with a broad appeal, but this broad appeal also includes "adjusting" the games for a broader audience.

This includes the multi-player part of the games, which also has to be designed so newcommer don't get "scared away".

With Wii U, they use much of similar philosophies but still don't seem to make it clear what they are going for.

The "easy to pick up, hard to master" philosophy is a great one, but it seems it's not sufficient.

So arguments from both "sides" have to be taken into consideration - those wanting a greater challenge and those wanting more "fairness".

This is evident in the approach they are taking in several games they are making.

Still, some recent moves make me think the "competitive spirit" is not really being a priority.

The supposed "withdrawal" of SSB. from EVO, for instance.

The hesitation to make more online-centric or online enabled games.

The hesistation to revive the franchises or to make the type of games which could have some really tense and competitive multi-player modes. (e.g. Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid Hunters, ect.)

I think all these things are connected to each other.

I do hope games like Smash 4 and MK8 find a good "balance" and bring back some of the competitive MP glory from SNES and N64 times.

But I think more than that is needed to make their new system a "party machine" again. (in the traditional sense of the word, not the current association)

tl;dr - I'm arguing about how "teh casuals" are holding back Nintendo from "unleashing" their full potential again, but at the same time not seeing that they have little care for them now and what their fan-base actually wants.

Discuss. ;)

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

No they just lazy

Right now Nintendo is in comfort zone because of Wii and DS success, unlike Sony

That's why they cared less about their customers, if not for other reason they neglect online multiplayer and third party support?

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Multiplayer is cheap overrated bs gameplay. The whole spawn kill die over and over mechanic is garbage. Maybe if I had the attention span of a spider monkey I'd like it more. Personally I think the internet is the worst thing to happen to gaming. While a lot of developers are getting greedy trying to cash in with DLC and microtransations it's good to know some aren't. I just have to sort through a lot of games to find the ones that aren't rip offs. It's good to know there are still developers out there that don't feel the need to tack on multiplayer.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345

Multiplayer is cheap overrated bs gameplay.

jdc6305

That's opinion.

I'd agree not every game needs MP, still, a well-made MP-centric game can be just as engrossing (or more) than a well-made SP-centric one.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Afraid of releasing mature games for their mature audience as well
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

>Nintendo is afraid of Competitive Multiplayer!

>Makes Mario Kart 7.

sound logic there OP.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
I don't believe so since they have MK and SSB. I do know that Nintendo are pretty **** when it comes to putting in online multiplayer. The fact that NSMBU, SM3DW, and PIkmin 3 have no online multiplayer is pathetic and lazy.
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was my favourite capcom fighting game of this current gen and it was a wii exclusive

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was my favourite capcom fighting game and it was a wii exclusive

Raziel831991

It also wasn't Nintendo.

Just because a game appears on a System doesn't make it Nintendo.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

Multiplayer is cheap overrated bs gameplay. The whole spawn kill die over and over mechanic is garbage. Maybe if I had the attention span of a spider monkey I'd like it more. Personally I think the internet is the worst thing to happen to gaming. While a lot of developers are getting greedy trying to cash in with DLC and microtransations it's good to know some aren't. I just have to sort through a lot of games to find the ones that aren't rip offs. It's good to know there are still developers out there that don't feel the need to tack on multiplayer.

jdc6305
You do realise that there are multiplayer games out there other than CoD right?
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

The only thing Nintendo seems to be afraid of is effort.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41576 Posts
Afraid of releasing mature games for their mature audience as wellsilversix_
At least they have a GOOD reason for that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Nintendo is just afraid of the internet.

Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Raziel831991

The problem is that people nowadays think every game that does not have guns, gore and lots of grey sucks by default and Nintendo does not make any of those "lolgrimdark" games. As long as gamers keep being so insecure of their manliness and maturity, Nintendo will eventually be in a really bad situation.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

The problem is that people nowadays think every game that does not have guns, gore and lots of grey sucks by default and Nintendo does not make any of those "lolgrimdark" games. As long as gamers keep being so insecure of their manliness and maturity, Nintendo will eventually be in a really bad situation.

Raziel831991

Yes, it's all the customers fault that they don't want the same companies are offering.

That's the way it goes. Its up to us customers to buy what the companies want to sell us not the other way around.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nameless12345

Raziel831991

I don't undestand this argument.

The Resident Evil games on NGC had all what you describe yet were successful.

I'm not sure why Nintendo would have to exclude these type of games from their system.

Not all type of games appeal to all tastes...

Also, you missed the point of the thread.

Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Raziel831991

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

DocSanchez

Yes, it's all the customers fault that they don't want the same companies are offering.

That's the way it goes. Its up to us customers to buy what the companies want to sell us not the other way around.

Call of Duty and Gears of war are pure garbage that were successful due to consumers having shit taste in games

Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Raziel831991

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

nameless12345

I'm not sure why Nintendo would have to exclude these type of games from their system.

I thought people were talking in this thread about games made by Nintendo itself. Resident Evil is not made by Nintendo. Also my post was directed towards posts like the ones silversix_ did on this tread.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

Raziel831991

Call of Duty and Gears of war are pure garbage that were successful due to consumers having shit taste in games

Or alternatively they are games you just don't like, which is a complete irrelevance. You're a bitter nintendo fan who is upset people aren't fans like you are and think, in all honesty, that the customers are wrong not the company for their strategy.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

Raziel831991

I thought people were talking in this thread about games made by Nintendo itself. Resident Evil is not made by Nintendo

I think we can include games made by Nintendo-owned studios and exclusive 3rd party partners as Nintendo games.

Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Raziel831991

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

DocSanchez

Or alternatively they are games you just don't like, which is a complete irrelevance. You're a bitter nintendo fan who is upset people aren't fans like you are and think, in all honesty, that the customers are wrong not the company for their strategy.

Companies make their strategies depending on what consumers buy.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

Raziel831991

And what is the logical conclusion of that? That a failing company is failing because of their own choices and cannot whinge and cry about the choices the customers are making.

Nintendo are in the position they are in with the Wii U because of their decisions, their choices, their fault.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

jdc6305

Um, you don't seem to know how things work. It's usually the publisher, not the developer, that likes to push and milk games with tacked on multiplayer and dlc. While it is sometimes the developers choice, quite often they are pushed into it by the publisher (after all, it's the publisher that pays the devs bills, so what the publisher says, goes)

Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Raziel831991

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

DocSanchez

And what is the logical conclusion of that? That a failing company is failing because of their own choices and cannot whinge and cry about the choices the customers are making.

Nintendo are in the position they are in with the Wii U because of their decisions, their choices, their fault.

The logical conclusion is that the gaming industry is in a terrible situation thanks to consumers. Thanks to consumers the industry is currently oversaturated with generic shooters, since companies do not have to try anymore, make a call of duty or gears of war clone and will have a product that will be comercially succesful no matter how terrible it might. And whats funny is that people think the Multiplater Call of Duty clones have are "competitive" lol.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

Raziel831991

The logical conclusion is that the gaming industry is in a terrible situation thanks to consumers. Thanks to consumers the industry is currently oversaturated with generic shooters, since companies do not have to try anymore, make a call of duty or gears of war clone and will have a product that will be comercially succesful no matter how terrible it might. And whats funny is that people think the Multiplater Call of Duty clones have are "competitive" lol.

It's not in a terrible condition. People like the games that are coming out and there has never been so much diversity. You just don't like the most popular ones. I've got news for you: You are not the centre of the universe. Continue whinging about Nintendo not being on top any more. They're still bringing out the five games of doom for you don't worry. In the meantime I'll enjoy gaming and don't care about COD existing because I don't have to play it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Um... no. Their entire lineup of games that offer same-room multiplayer have been cause of many fights between myself and friends throughout the years.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
Define competitive multiplayer. I'd say many games need to get GTFA from multiplayer as they're just a waste of resources because they suck..
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts

Nintendo is responsible for Mario Party, aka destroyer of friendships. So no.

Slashkice
LOL! QFT!
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

DocSanchez

And yet you're the one calling people names on a gaming forum. Who's really the bitter one? You are for behaving this way.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
Nintendo is afraid of being competitive period
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Nintendo is responsible for Mario Party, aka destroyer of friendships. So no.

Slashkice

who the hell argues over mario party ? da fudge ?? :| i mean i understand monopoly which has high potential to cheat and screw people... but mario party ? really?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

Zen_Light

And yet you're the one calling people names on a gaming forum. Who's really the bitter one? You are for behaving this way.

This is system wars.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

DocSanchez

This is system wars.

What do you like, so I can attack your preferences?

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

jdc6305
Payday 2 says hi
DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]And yet you're the one calling people names on a gaming forum. Who's really the bitter one? You are for behaving this way.

Zen_Light

This is system wars.

Just have on topic discussions and weave your attacks into the conversation like everyone else around here.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Um... no. Their entire lineup of games that offer same-room multiplayer have been cause of many fights between myself and friends throughout the years.foxhound_fox
This also starting with Mario Kart 8 Nintendo will include online multiplayer in most of their multiplayer games.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

This is system wars.

DocSanchez

Just have on topic discussions and weave your attacks into the conversation like everyone else around here.

Don't be a coward who hides behind anonymity and takes shots at people without displaying your vulnerabilities. Also, this is System Wars, as you so astutely wrote, but not fan wars.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]What do you like, so I can attack your preferences?

Zen_Light

Don't be a coward who hides behind anonymity and takes shots at people without displaying your vulnerabilities. Also, this is System Wars, as you so astutely wrote, but not fan wars.

A coward? Jesus christ what is this a gladitorial arena? You want me to list all the things I like just so you can run them down and because I wont do your homework or rise to your childish bollocks, I'm a "coward"? :lol::lol:

Grow up.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

DocSanchez

A coward? Jesus christ what is this a gladitorial arena? You want me to list all the things I like just so you can run them down and because I wont do your homework or rise to your childish bollocks, I'm a "coward"? :lol::lol:

Grow up.

And a troll. I checked out your posting history and all you do is take shots at people in Nintendo threads. Congrats, you're a coward, troll and blind fanboy.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]Don't be a coward who hides behind anonymity and takes shots at people without displaying your vulnerabilities. Also, this is System Wars, as you so astutely wrote, but not fan wars.

Zen_Light

Grow up.

And a troll. I checked out your posting history and all you do is take shots at people in Nintendo threads. Congrats, you're a coward, troll and blind fanboy.

I'm not a troll, I'm certainly not a coward, because this is an internet forum, and as for fanboy? I game on every system except Nintendo. I think Nintendo derserves the scorn I give it. If you don't like it, or my rhetoric, don't come on system wars. 

I could go on with the ad hominem attacks like you have but essentially what you are is a blank. A nothing. Some typing on a screen. You're not important to me, and you mean nothing to me. Carry on your tantrum.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

Grow up.

DocSanchez

I'm not a troll, I'm certainly not a coward, because this is an internet forum, and as for fanboy? I game on every system except Nintendo. I think Nintendo derserves the scorn I give it. If you don't like it, or my rhetoric, don't come on system wars. 

I could go on with the ad hominem attacks like you have but essentially what you are is a blank. A nothing. Some typing on a screen. You're not important to me, and you mean nothing to me. Carry on your tantrum.

You used ad hominem in its correct context and for that I am now supporting you in this lengthy battle of words and wisdom. Also you said bollocks. Another word I am fond of.
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

Grow up.

DocSanchez

:lol: I made the new kid mad, did I win System Wars?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

The supposed "withdrawal" of SSB. from EVO, for instance.

nameless12345

Well, to be fair, SSB's competitive scene is kinda shitty.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Raziel831991

If you think that the Modern Warfare clones are some kind of new problem in the gaming industry, I'd like to refer you to the glut of WWII shooters before that, and the glut of Halo clones before that...

Companies trying to replicate the success of whatever's successful at the time is nothing new - it's been in the gaming industry for the beginning, and shooters have always been a big genre ever since Doom came out. There's a reason the term "Doom clone" exists.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Afraid of releasing mature games for their mature audience as wellsilversix_
Yea we all saw how "well" that went with Geist and Eternal Darkness.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was my favourite capcom fighting game of this current gen and it was a wii exclusive

Raziel831991
And I bet Capcom regrets that choice.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

[QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

timbers_WSU

It sold more than they expected so I'm sure they are glad they made that choice

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Well of the three 1st party developers, Nintendo offers the highest legitimate challenge in their single player games, however you do make a point about their multiplayer. The developers behind Smash Bros. seem determined on making it a party game and Mario Kart's always been a little too luck based for my liking. However the Pokemon scene remains very competitive.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="Raziel831991"]

nini200

It sold more than they expected so I'm sure they are glad they made that choice

I doubt it. If it released on other hardware they would be planning a sequel right now. The held themselves back putting it on that pointless system. And here is what Capcom thinks of Nintendo now.

XWsPLMp.png